Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

1 hour ago, LetMeSeeYourWarFace21 said:

This is just an epic fail of a hire.  The results are all on tape.  Dude is a scrub, point blank.  You wanna ruin your new QB?  Go ahead and hire a fool of an OL coach like this guy.  Doesn't look like Quinn really did much homework with one of the most critical hires we could have made.  I'm freaking fuming at this hire.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

Do we currently have offensive pass or run game coordinators? I’m guessing not yet announced. If we hire those positions, maybe this is a personality they’re comfortable working with and teaching their ways, and it’s less about the specific OL techniques and blocking schemes he taught with the Giants (which could be a result of Daboll being the notorious control freak he is—he was yanking around offensive playcalling week to week, taking it himself, delegating it to various coaches, back and forth…that can’t be easy on the dudes teaching the blocking schemes and trying to integrate the game plans into their run and pass blocking schemes). 

Idk, this is excuse-making but this dude was clearly considered to have potential after being an assistant coach with the Bills and then crashed and burned with the Giants’ young but overdrafted OL talent. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

29 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

We could have hired a college coach with no NFL experience at all and it wouldn't stick out like this.

Or we could have hired a high school coach like Ron Rivera. I'll give the guy a chance until he screws things up. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I say 1.5 because Sweat was trying to function within the team but given 99 wasn’t living up to his part he had to do some individualistic things as well

This is why I am glad 99 didn't get a Super Bowl ring. 

• Thumb up 1

12 minutes ago, Redwards said:

This is just an epic fail of a hire.  The results are all on tape.  Dude is a scrub, point blank.  You wanna ruin your new QB?  Go ahead and hire a fool of an OL coach like this guy.  Doesn't look like Quinn really did much homework with one of the most critical hires we could have made.  I'm freaking fuming at this hire.

Exactly,  he literally just got FIRED by the Giants and OL is arguably our greatest need to get right.   If this OL isn't right,  this whole thing is going to come crashing down.  It's going to be a disaster.   WTF are Adam Peters and Quinn doing here?  Did they drink too much with his former team while they were in the Superbowl then have an epiphany for this hire?    Are we just trying to get anyone from our division rivals and hope for the best?  Seriously,  WTF????

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Redd said:

I don’t get the Bobby Johnson hire. Someone explain it to me.🤔

On the surface it defies explanation.

Which leads to at least two distinct possibilities:

1. Our decision makers, who up to now, have made impeccable  coaching decisions beyond my wildest dreams, made a major blunder.

2. We are missing a key piece to the puzzle. There is indeed method to the apparent madness of this decision and all will be made clear in the fullness of time.

Take your pick.

• Like 1

Why do people assume that we are settling for Coaches? And not putting thought and planning into these hires. Ik the ptsd is real but we are in much better hands now with competent business people making sound football decisions.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NYSkins21 said:

Why do people assume that we are settling for Coaches? And not putting thought and planning into these hires. Ik the ptsd is real but we are in much better hands now with competent business people making sound football decisions.

You really want to die on this hill?

You should know by now that the folks posting here are pro football experts with impeccable credentials whose opinions are infallible!! Sheeesh… 😳

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

When Vic Fangio called in January 2020 to discuss the Broncos’ opening to coach outside linebackers, John Pagano’s mind began to race in the best kind of way.

Working with Fangio for the first time in nearly two decades? Great.

Getting a chance to coach Von Miller and Bradley Chubb? Terrific.

And returning to live in Colorado for the first time since 1993? Priceless.

“I was so excited when Vic called about the opportunity,” Pagano said in a recent interview with The Denver Post. “Having the opportunity to work for the team I grew up loving — this was my team. Very special.”

A coach since 1989 and in the NFL since 1996, Pagano, a Boulder native and graduate of Fairview High (who played for his father, Sam) and Colorado Mesa, had never come close to working for the Broncos before Fangio’s offer.

“It’s special being a part of this community,” Pagano said. “It’s such a place to not only myself but my family.”

The season has challenged Pagano’s ability to develop players on the run. Von Miller was traded to the Los Angeles Rams last month and Bradley Chubb remains out following ankle surgery. Malik Reed has four sacks and Pagano has coached up rookie Jonathon Cooper (two sacks) and the recently-acquired Stephen Weatherly (one sack).

Having grown up around coaching and having worked for Jim Mora Sr., Mike Ditka and Marty Schottenheimer, Pagano has applied lessons learned along the way to the present.

“Honestly, he’s one of the smartest football guys I’ve been around,” said Washington coach Ron Rivera, who was on the same Chargers staff as Pagano from 2007-10. “When I got to San Diego, I thought I knew a lot of football, but listening to John talk really helped push me over the edge in terms of where I think I needed to be to give myself a chance to be a head coach in this league.”

...”Great perspective”

Pagano worked his way up the Chargers’ defensive ladder, starting as a quality control coach and moved to assistant linebackers coach (’03), outside linebackers coach (’04), linebackers coach (’05-11) and defensive coordinator (2012-16).

Of working for Schottenheimer, Pagano said: “Marty was awesome, just being there in his first team meeting and to hear him speak and how passionate he was and the love he had for the game. One of the things I learned from him was, it’s about your opponent the first part of the week, but then toward the end of the week, it’s about us.”

Pagano coached under five coordinators with the Chargers: Dale Lindsey, Wade Phillips, Ted Cottrell, Rivera and Greg Manusky.

“I always tried to apply how they communicated with the players,” Pagano said. “I thought it was very sound in what they said to the guys.”

Said Rivera: “He’s got a great perspective. I was going from a 4-3 front to a 3-4 front so I had to learn quickly when I got there and John really helped me.”

Pagano got his coordinator chance with the Chargers for coach Norv Turner. In five years, the Chargers made the playoffs once and had two top-10 defenses.

“A great opportunity,” Pagano said. “Just to have the vision and plan and ideas you want to put together and I always loved the game-plan meetings; I do to this day.”

When the Chargers cleaned out their staff after the 2016 season, Pagano moved onto the Raiders (’17) and then Houston (’18-19). He has used his experience to help develop Reed and Cooper.

Last year, Pagano lost Miller (ankle) before the season began and Chubb and Jeremiah Attaochu also missed time with injuries. This year, Chubb has been limited to 19 snaps in one game (ankle surgery) and Miller, the Broncos’ all-time leader in sacks, was moved onto the Rams.

But you coach who’s available and Pagano is continuing to develop Reed and young players Cooper, Andre Mintze and Aaron Patrick all while having crash-course scheme meetings with newcomers like Weatherly.

“I feel like I learn a lot about just the game of football, not even (my) position, but the game from Coach Pagano,” Reed said. “We go in and have our meetings and I feel like he does a good job of helping us focus on the details.”

https://www.denverpost.com/2021/11/24/john-pagano-broncos-coach/

With Pagano at the helm, the Chargers ranked in the top half of the league in 2016 when it came to sacks (35). On top of that, the team was tied for first in the league with 18 interceptions, and featured a secondary that caused a lot of problems for opposing offenses. 

...One of the most promising young players in the league is Chargers defensive end Joey Bosa, who finished his rookie season with 10.5 sacks after only playing 12 games. The progression of Bosa's development under the leadership of Pagano was eye opening

https://www.raiders.com/news/five-things-to-know-about-assistant-head-coach-defense-john-pagano-18494446

Pagano also spent a lot of time coaching Melvin Ingram in San Diego. Pagano basically developed Ingram, who would land in his first of three Pro Bowls in 2017, the first year Pagano wasn't coaching him. Ingram is close friends with Von Miller, which is one reason the Broncos' eight-time Pro Bowler is excited to get to work with Pagano. 

“I’m very familiar with John,’’ Miller told Mike Klis' of 9NEWS' during last weekend's NFL Honors media availability. “He was with the San Diego Chargers for a long time. He interviewed me at the (NFL) Combine (in 2011) -- he was super cool at the Combine. And he coached Melvin Ingram for a while; that’s one of my good buddies. Sounds like we got another great, smart coach.’’

https://www.si.com/nfl/broncos/news/denver-broncos-make-it-official-name-john-pagano-as-olbs-coach

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

John Pagano (if true) looks like a quality add on the defensive side. Looks like he would coach linebackers. 

But Bobby Johnson? His lines stunk in New York:

2022 NYG: 49 Sacks allowed #28 
2023 NYG: 85 Sacks allowed #32

Then again, Buffalo did have a good line while he was there: 

2019 Buffalo: 40 Sacks allowed #15 
2020 Buffalo: 27 Sacks allowed #9 
2021 Buffalo: 27 Sacks allowed #2 

And Eric Wood, one of his former players, a Pro Bowl Center seems to have liked him: https://twitter.com/EWood70/status/1085285525651685376.

I hope this is a case of Brian Daboll micro-managing Johnson and screwing him up.  But otherwise, I'm wondering who else was interviewed and was available. 

What happened to Cole Popovich, who was liked by both Belichick and Scarnecchia?

Edited by Stoox

Between Norton, Pagano, and Brian Johnson, we have several former coordinators at position coach spots and a former HC at a coordinator position. Plus an experienced HC at HC.

This is a very seasoned, experienced, veteran staff.

• Like 14