Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

I really don't like the way all of this has played out. We waited till the very end and now half the field is gone, Johnson pulled himself out of the process. The only coach that was in high regard and did not yet get hired was MacDonald. With all the other coaches it feels like they weren't really in contention anywhere else.

The favorite right now seems to be Dan Quinn but that to me feels like Rivera 2.0. A HC who is in his mid 50s, hovers around that .500 as a HC and lost a Superbowl. If you take away the Shannahan years (and we all know what a great coach that is), what is there that makes his on field resume impressive? And he had a great roster over there in Atlanta. So what is left, are those omnious ledership qualities that apparently did not translate to on field success over there. But that itself is a topic that I cannot really get behind because this talk about leadership qualitites feels like a lot of blah blah to me. Leadership is important but what is it really? Rivera was also considered a culture builder with great leadership qualities. Look where that got us. Especially with a younger generation of players, these classical leadership qualities that many people have in mind are imo outdated. I am only 33, so I would not consider myself super old. But I teach at university and let me tell you, these 20 year olds have a completely different set of values than even the guys I went to university with. It's not that easy to connect to them and I don't think some old head who is intense and screams a lot inspires them. Athletes are obviously a different bread but looking at coaches like LaFleur, Shannahan, McDaniel. etc. - they do not strike me as leadership guys in the mold of a Dan Quinn or Ron Rivera. But apparently they get the most out of their guys. So I am hesitant to buy into the story of Quinn being the great HC that we need to rebuild this team

Let's see where this goes, but Quinn would be the candidate that excites me the least out of all the people that were in contention for this job. And I am not saying he would be a bad hire, I obviously don't know enough to make that assessment. He might turn out to be great but I would not at all get excited about this hire because it doesn't feel like a modern approach to finding a HC.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Guys, we will NOT be giving Vrabel any chance. He butted heads with Ron Carthon who is boys with Adam Peters. It will never ever ever happen here. That isn't even factoring in that Vrabel wants roster control.

Yeah I know that’s what I have been telling my friends.

My thoughts on Weaver. He would be a motivational head coach and leader. No play calling. So would need strong coordinators on both sides of the ball. He might get the most out of our high priced DT's. Not saying that would be a factor in hiring him. Just that DL is is specialty. Would love to see what he could do with KJ Henry. He fits the mold of HC's who never held a coordinator position. Tons of them have been successful. So not sweating that. 

• Like 1

Facing reality there's a plus 90% probability that MacDonald is  off the table.

No way he takes a second interview in Seattle, one day after his first interview in Baltimore, unless there is serious interest from both parties.

He is likely going there with the hope of closing a deal, if there are no last minute snags.

That said, we have no choice but to move forward with confidence.

That leaves Quinn, Weaver, Glenn or the reopening of interviews with new candidates.

Of those options I see no slam dunk. The safest option is probably Quinn. The greatest gamble with potentially a higher ceiling is probably Weaver. Glenn would not be my choice.

For me it would come down to whether Quinn or Weaver, at this late stage in the game, is more likely to attract the best OC (for a rookie qb) and other assistants.

We need to move though. Time is not on our side.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

I'm not going to dump on Ben Johnson because it sounds to me like he was self aware enough to realize he's not ready to be a head coach, and he saved himself and this team a lot of grief by bowing out.  Some of the over the top reactions of disappointment from this fan base are really cringey.

I liked the idea of him being the hire, but I'm not stressing this because I don't really know what these guys are like.  None of us do.  The critical qualities for being a successful head coach are stuff like how organized is the guy?  How passionate is he?  Does he value this job more than anything else in his life, including his family?  Is he trustworthy and can he get people to sacrifice and work through adversity for him?  Is he a good communicator who can manage personalities, delegate work appropriately and get everyone prepared every week of a long season?  None of us have any idea if these candidates have these strengths or if they are weaknesses, and it's weird how invested folks here are getting in these candidates, organizing into little tribes over them, and rooting on it like a horse race.  We're going to get a good coach and QB, and we already got a good GM.  Josh Harris and Bob Myers and Magic Johnson and Adam Peters are not going to pick some dud that can't control a team or handle the size of the job.

I am not stressing out either.  And agree they will likely find a good HC.

Agree there is a good chance Johnson figured out he's still not ready.  Sheehan asked around with sources he trusts and what he heard back was Dan Campbell isn't just the voice in that locker room, he's really the only voice, with some dose of Glenn and Johnson is quiet.  And their thought is Johnson isn't sure if hes ready to do what Dan does. 

All of that is fine.  But he didn't turn jobs down from the jump.  He launched into the process both times. 

The issue in my book about Ben Johnson is going through the process, not once but twice.   Having teams spend time with him and consider him and then bail.  As one NFL insider say, they can't recall a coach ever doing this two years in a row.  And if you got a team flying out to see you, you don't text them IMO midflight you aren't interested.  That's tacky IMO.  And I find it relevant now when Keim said a week or so ago that he heard Johnson was working on his people skills.  That's bad people skills IMO and a bit rude.

The leaks about him wanting 15 million a year -- and Schefter among others piping in that teams were put off on the big price -- maybe is all BS but when you got multiple reporters especially Schefter say the same I figure there is some smoke to the fire.  As Sheehan specualted this morning (it hit me because I was thinking the same) it comes off like he didn't want to be a HC but heck if someone offers him crazy money, he will suck it up and do it.

Overall, some of that is speculation.  Some here give him the benefit of the doubt.  Some don't.  Either take is fine.  But its not speculation that he went through the interview process two years in a row and bailed both times and yeah I think its comically level rude to having a contingent come to Detriot to interview you and you text them mid-flight, sorry, not interested.

But as I said a blessing in disguise.  No biggie.  I got no panic about it.  But yeah I am not in the camp that Ben did it all fine and fans should have no issue with his behavior.  Tacky behavior from Ben IMO. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Facing reality there's a plus 90% probability that MacDonald is  off the table.

Know way he takes a second interview in Seattle, one day after his first interview, unless there is serious interest from both parties. He is likely going there to close a deal.

That said, we have no choice but to move forward with confidence.

That leaves Quinn, Weaver, Glenn or the reopening of interviews with new candidates.

Of those options I see no slam dunk. The safest option is probably Quinn. The greatest gamble with potentially a higher ceiling is probably Weaver. Glenn would not be my choice.

For me it would come down to whether Quinn or Weaver, at this late stage in the game, is more likely to attract the best OC (for a rookie qb) and other assistants.

We need to move though. Time is not on our side.

I agree with most of this. For OC, I feel that Peters has some SF guys like Kubiak or Lynn in his back pocket as this search has leaned toward defensive coaches.

• Thumb up 1

I’m really disappointed that Johnson gave us (and the Seahawks) tfw run around the last few weeks.  As a result of his last second change of mind, we’re on the outside looking in when it comes to coaching candidates left.  I really wanted an offensive coaching hire, but I guess I’ll try to convince myself that MacDonald could be just as great a hire, but I would sour quickly on our search, if we end up hiring Quinn.  That would be such a let down, and Quinn would join the list of former DC’s we hired as HC that would underwhelm during his coaching tenure.  I really hope it’s not Quinn.  

We had such excitement and enthusiasm, until Johnson pulled the rug from underneath us.

At the beginning of the process, Washington identified 7 candidates for the HC job and interviewed them all twice (or tried to).  Morris is the only one that they really lost out on.  Slowik appears was eliminated as a candidate.  Johnson had a change of heart.  Quinn, Macdonald, Weaver, and Glenn are left.  They didn’t miss out on any of the other HCs hired around the league because none of them were interviewed or identified as options by the search team.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Curtisp5286 said:

At the beginning of the process, Washington identified 7 candidates for the HC job and interviewed them all twice (or tried to).  Morris is the only one that they really lost out on.  Slowik appears was eliminated as a candidate.  Johnson had a change of heart.  Quinn, Macdonald, Weaver, and Glenn are left.  They didn’t miss out on any of the other HCs hired around the league because none of them were interviewed or identified as options by the search team.

Agreed and if we had hired Morris without doing our D.D. on Macdonald and Johnson this fan base would have RIOTED(myself included).

We did everything right. Nobody saw Johnson going back to Detroit. What can you do?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Ball Security said:

I agree with most of this. For OC, I feel that Peters has some SF guys like Kubiak or Lynn in his back pocket as this search has leaned toward defensive coaches.

I agree with most of this.

Then why not give me a thumbs up or other emoticon? 

Some of us old timers or what I like to call "nothingelsetodoers" really  look forward to positive reinforcement from complete strangers. lol

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

23 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Definitely. We would be getting an aggressive attacking defense. Instead of the 10 yard cushion crap we just watched for 4 years.

Definitely. We would be getting an aggressive attacking defense. Instead of the 10 yard cushion crap we just watched for 20 years.

FTFY

• Like 1