Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

21 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

Stepping back for a moment and digesting what happened with Ben Johnson yesterday it obviously wasn't expected and through the process for a loop. But there is a process and HOG/Peters are much more prepared to deal with it than Snyder ever was. Harris did not get where he is by flying by the seat of his parts like Snyder. Harris has surrounded himself with very competent people and this HC decision is not going to be rushed or taken lightly.

We didn't land the perceived front runner, neither did anyone else, but who knows if he would have been the hire after the in person interview? Sounds like he may not have been the right guy after all?

The HC needs to be able to stand in front of a group of men and make them believe in the team and in themselves. He needs to be able to manage the development of the players and coaching staff. Have a vision that is shared with the front office and coaches. Take responsibility for the team but delegate to those he chooses as his staff. He doesn't need to be an offensive or defensive genius, he still needs to have a great understanding of that side of the ball and needs to share a vision with very good OCs and DC's. But the true responsibilities lie elsewhere.

Ben Johnson may be perfectly suited for the position of OC but may not have what it takes to be a HC. Others may be better HC than coordinators, different responsibilities, different skill sets. Extremely important that we find our Ben Johnson (coordinators) etc to lead and focus on the X's and O's. HC does not necessarily need to be the OC / DC guru.

Agree.

Some are treating the coach hire like we are just making a lateral move of a corodinator.  Such and such's coordinator is now our coordinator.

But we know in reality its not how this is.  For starters most of these guys give up play calling eventually.

Your ability to lead, motivate, adminstrate are big.  Your network around the league and ability to get good assistants.  Gibbs in his 2nd stint wasn't a good X's and O's guy.  He wasn't a good game manager either.  But he was a leader.  He was good at finding assistant coaches.  He put his ego aside over comfort by hiring guys he had no relationships with like Gregg Williams, etc.

I think Ron has soured us.  Me too to an extent.  Because Ron wasn't an X's and O's guy in his 2nd stint here.  He was sort of this paternal type, nice guy.  He certainly preferred comfort and was conservative.  As a person, he had balls tackling cancer while coaching which was very admirable.  Being a good person is a sea of douches in that building was admirable and appreciated by me, too when Dan was here.  And I think the whole package made us think, look being a "culture builder" is BS.   And we saw this play out already.  

The thing is though Ron wasn't a culture builder as to winning.  His version of culture was personal triumph -- battling cancer, sexism, etc -- and that's all good and admirable for Ron.  But that wasn't about building a winning culture.  Ron could talk all day long about culture.  But his version of culture was mostly about being a nice person. Dudes who left this team, especially Sweat mocked this team's "culture".

My point is we haven't see round 1 of building a winning culture under Ron.   He didn't even remotely build a winning culture.  It was the opposite if anything. It was about winning off the field with Ron.  Ron was a nice guy with personal trimumphs.  But as coaching this team he was arguably lazy, complacent, excuse making, scapegoating -- with an odd dose of arrogance mixed it.  It was really the opposite of a winning culture.

I like to say Ron was the nice version of Bruce Allen.  I explained many times the parallels I see between how they approached building the team.   Ron was the ultimate "winning off the field" is the definition of culture guy.  But that's not how Gibbs and other winning coaches approach culture who are about winning on the field.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

Quinn is a f’n loser and I’d be so disappointed if that useless Dallas retread no one else wanted is hired to this once in a lifetime opportunity. Take a shot with someone else, think outside the box. Grab a young coordinator from one of the other .500 or greater teams! If “the process” yields Dan Quinn then the process is seriously broken. Don’t bring that man here! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The thing is though Ron wasn't a culture builder as to winning.  His version of culture was personal triumph -- battling cancer, sexism, etc -- and that's all good and admirable for Ron.  But this isn't about building a winning culture.  Ron could take all day long about culture.  But his version of culture was mostly about being a nice person. Dudes who left this team, especially Sweat mocked this team's "culture".

My point is we haven't see round 1 of building a winning culture under Ron.  Ron was a nice guy with personal trimumphs.  But as coaching this team he was arguably lazy, complacent, excusing making -- really the opposite of a winning culture.

A HC is the guy who when entering a meeting room its immediately a sign to put your phone down and give undivided attention. I dont think Ron, though respected, had that persona about him toward the end because the players had become disillusioned as to his football leadership. The new guy needs to have that aura of leadership and accountability. Purple nurples wont cut it. Not advocating for someone to lead by fear but someone who can communicate and make guys believe. It maybe that is more of what Harris etc are looking for in a HC. I dont believe Johnson exhibited those traits, especially after reading the reports that came out about his insecurities the last 24 hrs, Does MacDonald have those traits? No idea. But I think the in person interviews are invaluable as to giving a good idea as to an individuals leadership qualities. 

Just now, DWinzit said:

Most posters have hailed the Peters hire and said they trust in the coaching decisions.

I will stick with that as I wait to hear who is named.

I'd love to see Mac but we will see.

Mac + Weaver. I'm also wondering if we will interview Brian Greese for OC ?

• Like 1

I'll take MacDonald at this point given that he's the youngest guy available at this point.  Sucks that we won't have that HC who's not married to the QB that we drafted like Reid is to Mahomes in KC, but it is what it is at this point

7 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

A HC is the guy who when entering a meeting room its immediately a sign to put your phone down and give undivided attention. I dont think Ron, though respected, had that persona about him toward the end because the players had become disillusioned as to his football leadership. The new guy needs to have that aura of leadership and accountability. Purple nurples wont cut it. Not advocating for someone to lead by fear but someone who can communicate and make guys believe. It maybe that is more of what Harris etc are looking for in a HC. I dont believe Johnson exhibited those traits, especially after reading the reports that came out about his insecurities the last 24 hrs, Does MacDonald have those traits? No idea. But I think the in person interviews are invaluable as to giving a good idea as to an individuals leadership qualities. 

I recall Ron talking this year about some celebrity talking to the team about the defintion of winning and Ron referencing that they listened because it was this dude and not coming from him and he chuckled about it.  That's the type of thing parents say about their kids.

If Ron sees himself that way or the team sees him that way it was clearly a problem.  Ron's not their dad.  Ron's their boss.  

• Like 3

Just now, NoVaSkins21 said:

I'll take MacDonald at this point given that he's the youngest guy available at this point.  Sucks that we won't have that HC who's not married to the QB that we drafted like Reid is to Mahomes in KC, but it is what it is at this point

Thats why its so important that regardless of HC we hit on an excellent OC and QB coach.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I think Quinn is a virtual lock at this point…

I got the vibe lisenting to Keim last night, McDonald has a shot.

I'd bet on Quinn but McDonald seems to be serious in the running.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I think we’re waiting on Macdonald. If he picks Seattle we go with Quinn. If he picks us then well great. 

Come on Eugene Shen go stand on the table for Mikey Mac!

Listening to the Seattle reporter yesterday it came off that they love that McDonald shut down SF, and they are obsessed with beating SF.  And I gather McDonald is probably their top desire right now.  I wonder about Kafa with them though.  The reporte did say he thought they might prefer offense.

I just hope whoever we hire brings in their own offensive coordinator.  I've pretty much accepted the fact that it's going to be Quinn, and if it's someone else like Macdonald or Glenn then great, that'll be a wonderful surprise.  I just want to see EB gone from here, as far away as possible. No way do I want to see him anywhere near our new QB, if that's the direction we go in the draft. 

3 minutes ago, DazedSkinsfan said:

I just hope whoever we hire brings in their own offensive coordinator.  I've pretty much accepted the fact that it's going to be Quinn, and if it's someone else like Macdonald or Glenn then great, that'll be a wonderful surprise.  I just want to see EB gone from here, as far away as possible. No way do I want to see him anywhere near our new QB, if that's the direction we go in the draft. 

There is another Johnson out there for OC. Also a BJ...