Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

Keim also doubled down in the Junkies interview a few minutes ago that who these coaches planned to bring as assistants is big.

He mentioned he knew from someone else one of the prospective coaches I gather for another team was ruled out when they heard of their choice for defensive coordinator.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Keim is super careful.  His #1 thing isn't to guess right but to avoid getting something wrong.  So I gather he doesn't want to speculate if he doesn't know.

He does know Spielman and Myers are part of this process as to the coaching interviews.

Kind of nice to know that there are no longer "inside sources" that leak out information anymore about the inside business dealings. Keim is respected because he does as you say and doesnt throw things out as if its a certainty. He may speculate based on what he is hearing but he clearly will let you know that its just his opinion.

MacDonald and Johnson are co-favorites to win the job right now with Anthony Weaver a serious dark horse candidate.

In the article, from 106.7 the fan below, it's clear that the search for a  brimstone and fire, charismatic leader with true grit is more than just a talking point.

Finding someone like that is the prime directive of the search team.

Unfortunately, there's no clear cut leader that checks all the boxes.

Ben Johnson, the belle of the ball, and darling of this forum (myself included) is described as a bit like ugh... Norv(ous) Turner. While MacDonald is a quiet introvert.

This is likely going to come down to whoever commands the room in the interview-- either today or yesterday.

XXXXXX

https://www.audacy.com/thefandc/sports/washington-commanders/snider-the-commanders-job-will-go-to-the-lion-in-the-room

THE COMMANDERS JOB GOES TO THE LION IN THE ROOM 

Commanders GM Adam Peters says he wants someone whose leadership is paramount. That would seemingly favor Quinn, especially since he was Atlanta’s coach from 2015-20. Unfortunately, Quinn has a Super Bowl loss and 46-44 record that screams Ron Rivera 2.0.

Sorry, moving on to Glenn, a 1994 first-rounder with the New York Jets with 15 years playing experience and seven as a coach, two as Detroit’s defensive coordinator. But...Glenn is more likeable than leader. Not a bad thing as a person, but maybe below Peters’ bar.

Anthony Weaver comes closer. He played for seven years before 11 years as a defensive line coach, and two as defensive coordinator, Weaver, 43, could certainly win this job with a strong interview.

Still, it’s more of a two-man race between Johnson and MacDonald. Two mid-thirties coordinators the NFL wants as second comings of Sean McVay.

Ironically, they’re both quieter people whose leadership doesn’t follow the mode of Buddy Ryan. MacDonald is a self-described introvert whose silence belies his icy stare that’s really judging opposing vulnerabilities. Don’t underestimate this level of iceman, but it requires Peters and owner Josh Harris to see that volcano underneath. Johnson is seemingly a nice guy who seems more of a teacher than tormentor of rosters. Think Norv Turner.

Oh, this should be closer than believed. Harris and Peters will spill into Wednesday roiling from the interviews because no candidate is clearly better than others.

The man who dominates the room is the winner. The Pittsburgh Steelers were ready to give their job to Russ Grimm before one last interview with Mike Tomlin, who seized the job and became one of the NFL’s top coaches. It all began with a great interview.

McVay was considered too young at 30 to be a serious Los Angeles Rams candidate, but those who knew the Washington assistant weren’t surprised when he got the job - he owns rooms no matter his youth. Kyle Shanahan was only 38 when becoming San Francisco’s coach in 2017, but he was the son of a strong coach who was ready to roar.

Washington is trying to find the next young lion to pair with Peters in his opening days as a GM. That favors Johnson and MacDonald over Quinn.

The next 48 hours will decide the job, but it’s no easy interview for Johnson, who seems the media favorite. The best leadership skills will soon earn the job.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Sell me on Arthur Smith. What’s the attraction about him?

He has a great mustache. Beyond that…meh…

also, beyond being what seems to be a horrible head coach and not the greatest person to his players, what’s Josh McDaniels doing? Nothing. I answered that for you. what’s the thoughts on hiring him as O-Co if we go defensive coach or even Johnson at this point? He’s shown he can run successful offenses in the past, well, maybe because of Brady, but it’s been done.

mcDaniels being under a head coach means he cannot relieve himself of good to great players without others in agreement and he will be controlled to a degree. Plus, and the major kicker, no one else will steal him away as a head coach. That mess is done I think.

Edited by Fan since a Fetus

51 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I'd rather have Weaver if he's a leader of men than Dan Quinn.  

I think Quinn will leave only to be a HC. I'll search the web to see if I can find anything concerning the leadership skills.

Edited by FrFan

52 minutes ago, Conn said:

Also just want to point out how quiet our burgeoning insider has been who “was just trying to share some information with you, if you don’t want to take it that’s your loss”. As soon as the strong SEA/Johnson fear settled in and people started to accept that it wasn’t secretly already agreed upon behind the scenes… 👋

Ben Johnson will be the next WSH HC. Only quiet because of people like yourself. Also Google what happened in Arizona last year, Harris and Co. are smart, and calculated like keeping Ron throughout the season. 

If it came out that Ben has the job why would these guys interview? Why wouldn't the Lions file tampering charges? Some of you guys still think this ORG is run by Snyder. 

Edited by Hitman#21

1 hour ago, ThatNFLChick said:

In this mic'd up, Johnson seems nice but kind of gives off Jim Zorn corny energy. Maybe not as bad as Zorn but he has a  'gee golly, awww shucks' kind of demeanor which might be part of the holdup. He doesn't really seem like a guy who commands a room which might be part of the hold up 

Macdonald's mic'd up made me feel better about him, his personality came off very Alpha, Johnson is a bit like Kirk Cousins

I disagree, you don't have to speak like a WWE wrestler doing an interview to command respect or be considered a leader or an alpha.

There are plenty of examples of guys who command a team well and aren't brash like Joe Gibbs, Andy Reid, Mike McDaniels just to name a few.

I personally prefer the quiet confidence over the guy who's constantly elevating his tone and demeanor, those are the ones who are confident and don't need to make sure everybody in the room knows it, that's usually more effective in my opinion. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, FrFan said:

I think Quinn will leave only to be a HC. I'll search the web to see if I can find anything concerning the leadership skills.

If Quinn is no longer under contract or there is nothing prohibiting him from taking a DC position, he could be our DC and Ben Johnson our HC, I believe.  

1 minute ago, RWJ said:

If Quinn is no longer under contract or there is nothing prohibiting him from taking a DC position, he could be our DC and Ben Johnson our HC, I believe.  

I was refering to this "“Jerry Jones adjusted Quinn’s contract, per sources, but Quinn wants to be a head coach again. If the right opportunity presents itself, Jones might be hard-pressed to convince Quinn to stay.”

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hitman#21 said:

Ben Johnson will be the next WSH HC. Only quiet because of people like yourself. 

Hitman#21 - I know you’ve been around here a long time and I’ve seen jabs from everyone both ways at this point. I mean this in the most friendly way. But how do you know for certain? You’ve been very adamant and maybe you said how previously and I missed it.  I’m just curious and really want it to be true.

if your one step removed from the situation that’s cool, but if several not so much. Or are you very strongly speculating like everyone else? Like I said, this is a serious friendly question and not an accusation 

• Thumb up 1

8 minutes ago, Hitman#21 said:

Ben Johnson will be the next WSH HC. Only quiet because of people like yourself. Also Google what happened in Arizona last year, Harris and Co. are smart, and calculated like keeping Ron throughout the season. 

If it came out that Ben has the job why would these guys interview? Why wouldn't the Lions file tampering charges? Some of you guys still think this ORG is run by Snyder. 

You are becoming like RWJ USED to be about Raven's DC Mike MacDonald. :ols:

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I disagree, you don't have to speak like a WWE wrestler doing an interview to command respect or be considered a leader or an alpha.

There are plenty of examples of guys who command a team well and aren't brash like Joe Gibbs, Andy Reid, Mike McDaniels just to name a few.

I personally prefer the quiet confidence over the guy who's constantly elevating his tone and demeanor, those are the ones who are confident and don't need to make sure everybody in the room knows it, that's usually more effective in my opinion. 

Respectfully it doesn't matter what you prefer, what matters is what Peters and Harris say they want and are looking for. 

3 minutes ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

Hitman#21 - I know you’ve been around here a long time and I’ve seen jabs from everyone both ways at this point. I mean this in the most friendly way. But how do you know for certain? You’ve been very adamant and maybe you said how previously and I missed it.  I’m just curious and really want it to be true.

if your one step removed from the situation that’s cool, but if several not so much. Or are you very strongly speculating like everyone else? Like I said, this is a serious friendly question and not an accusation 

Appreciate that. I am not one step removed from the situation.

Before the process started Macdonald and Johnson were the two guys the FO wanted (Mac was even telling people this job is his). This was an actual process but Ben has been the guy for weeks. They have to hammer out a contract (years and dollars) but both sides want each other and the rest is window dressing and due diligence. 

If Ben isn't the coach it would be a 1/100 type deal, and I'll be here to say I am wrong, but I am telling you it would be a major upset. 

I obviously can't share more than that. This should be wrapped up by Wed Night/ Thursday afternoon. 

• Thanks 2

Something I was thinking about.  Feedback is welcome and wanted.  :)  

If Ben Johnson becomes HC of Washington will there be a change in him being quiet and become more vocal because he is on his own and knows he's The HC now and not OC.  It's his team to run and he's been exposed to Dan Campbell who's been stated as a leader.  See the article below.

Detroit Lions Ben Johnson praises leadership of Dan Campbell - Sports Illustrated Detroit Lions News, Analysis and More

Detroit Lions head coach Dan Campbell could be in search of two new coordinators next season. 

Both Ben Johnson and Aaron Glenn are legitimate candidates to become NFL head coaches, even as soon as the upcoming 2024 season. 

A hallmark of a respected coaching regime is other teams poaching members of a winning staff. 

The Dan Campbell coaching tree soon could be impacting other franchises, as both coordinators have several teams requesting to have conversations about opportunities to lead their own teams. 

Johnson, who remained tight-lipped about his coaching future, expressed Detroit's third-year head coach is among the best leaders he has ever been around.

“Listen, he’s the best leader I’ve been around, I think, regardless of whichever sport I’ve been a part of. It’s really impressive what he’s been able to do," Johnson said. "Being true to himself, demanding, he’s results driven. But yet, his way of delivering a message and getting it across, what to say and how to say it at the right time. It’s really unique and it’s special. 

"I think it’s hard to replicate to be honest with you. More than anything, it’s about being comfortable in his own skin and trusting and empowering those around him," Johnson continued. "He’s created an environment here, as coordinators, as position coaches, as players, that we’re very comfortable and it helps us be the best that we can be at our jobs.”

Detroit Lions defensive coordinator Aaron Glenn
Aaron Glenn: 'I'm No Fake'

Glenn noted that a coach sharing a similar vision with the general manager trickles down to the coaching staff and to the players. 

At first, many pundits wondered and even criticized the Lions for pairing Campbell and general manager Brad Holmes together without having a prior working relationship. 

Both were hired by the Lions with a week of each other and began the team's latest rebuilding effort. 

"The number one thing I think is important is, man, just the collaborations with the GM and the owner," Glenn expressed prior to practice Thursday. "And making sure that that vision, that collective vision is the same. Once that's intact, and all three of you are saying the same thing, that feeds down to the staff, that feeds down to the players. And, man, they just share the same vision over and over again. And you talk about culture, culture is about people. You bring the right people in, you're gonna have the right culture." 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hitman#21 said:

Appreciate that. I am not one step removed from the situation.

Before the process started Macdonald and Johnson were the two guys the FO wanted (Mac was even telling people this job is his). This was an actual process but Ben has been the guy for weeks. They have to hammer out a contract (years and dollars) but both sides want each other and the rest is window dressing and due diligence. 

If Ben isn't the coach it would be a 1/100 type deal, and I'll be here to say I am wrong, but I am telling you it would be a major upset. 

I obviously can't share more than that. This should be wrapped up by Wed Night/ Thursday afternoon. 

Why exactly would he meet with Seattle then?

If we're going QB at some point in the draft (assuming pick #2) then how do we not go with Ben Johnson as opposed to one of the defensive guys thinking that Johnson can develop a young kid better? I wonder if Harris and Peters would value Johnson while knowing he's got room to grow as a leader who will take some lumps but is just too good to pass on because of his overall bright mind. Kind of like what Miami has in Mike McDaniel? 

As good as Dan Campbell has been, how much credit should go to Ben Johnson for resurrecting Jared Goff in a tremendously designed offense? Also, if we pass on Johnson we just wasted a LOT of time signing the best offensive coordinator and that would be terrible given the need we have to develop a QB. Who's Dan Quinn's OC? Macdonald's OC? Weaver's or Glenn's? We'll find a good D-coordinator who won't be counted on to develop the next franchise QB after hiring Johnson. 

I'm taking Hitman#21's posts to the bank and saying Johnson makes the most sense for us and us for Johnson. 

Maybe Johnson met with Seattle to see what their offer is and use it to get the Commando's to up their offer. Could be a strategic thing that his agent pushed for?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Maybe Johnson met with Seattle to see what their offer is and use it to get the Commando's to up their offer. Could be a strategic thing that his agent pushed for?

That's part of it yeah. Also the agent is the one that sets the meetings. There is no downside to meeting with other teams. Best case, you find out another team is a better fit or you get more money from your original preference. Worst case, you waste like one day of interviews but at least can pick up some intel on how a competing team operates(maybe they do something that your new team can implement, etc.).

The fact that Seattle didn't offer Johnson a job last night tells me he's coming here for sure. We'll hear about an offer being made late tonight or early tomorrow, acceptance sometime Thursday, and a press conference Friday.

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

I'd rather have Weaver if he's a leader of men than Dan Quinn.  

I have a hard time wrapping my head around what makes someone worthy of the label “leader of men”.  Is just being loud and occasionally throwing out inspirational sounding quotes?

At this point I’d like to launch that phrase into the sun.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Curtisp5286 said:

I have a hard time wrapping my head around what makes someone worthy of the label “leader of men”.  Is just being loud and occasionally throwing out inspirational sounding quotes?

At this point I’d like to launch that phrase into the sun.  

Do it to it!  :)