Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

2 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Which is ridiculous imo. They have had weeks to clear that threshold. 

The some of the good candidates they wanted to interview were not yet available.  You think they should have conducted a sham interview or two just to artificially meet the requirements?  That would be a bit unethical, IMO.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Why are we panicking? We were told it’s a done deal last week. 

Got to fall for those planted tweets so Washington doesn't get in trouble with the Rooney Rule. If you get a couple big name guys to tweet its not a done deal, then the league has no ammo to claim the Rooney Rule was violated.

2 minutes ago, Curtisp5286 said:

The some of the good candidates they wanted to interview were not yet available.  You think they should have conducted a sham interview or two just to artificially meet the requirements?  That would be a bit unethical, IMO.

It would be but lets not act like teams don't do it. I think the fact that they waited means people exaggerated how much they wanted Johnson. They were/are clearly interested in him but also seems to be genuinely interested in other candidates also. 

Also for someone so sought after, few teams were willing to wait for Johnson. They all hired before even giving him a second interview or making their pitch. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I mean, they could have satisfied the Rooney Rule earlier. The Seahawks did. If they wanted to hire Ben Johnson today they could, we can't because we still haven't satisfied it though we had ample time to if Ben Johnson was our guy. 

Yeah, that's kind of what I'm saying.  Balancing a more diliberate process without just going out to interview candidates just to meet a requirement and the perception of that.

2 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

It one of four people 

Cowboys D coordinator

Houston O coordinator

Detroit O coordinator 

Ravens D coordinator 

Will be done by end of week

Thanks, Schefty 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 10
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, VRIEL1 said:

I didn't think they "canned" Carroll. I thought he somewhat retired/stepped down and was going to take a front office position to help the team. One would think they would have offered the job to the OC to keep continuity and scheme. 

You got the air quotes around the wrong words. Here ya go… “retired/stepped down“. 

22 minutes ago, Curtisp5286 said:

Yet another break with the past. Good for them/us. 

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I played football against this guy in high school - I was the right tackle, he was the left d-end.... let's just say he kicked my a**!

But we won both games 😉

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Along the Captain Obvious lines for many, since it was reported and posted with reputable sources much earlier, but may be new info for others. Hopefully I've got it correct.

Scheduled in-person interviews
Today 1/29
Seattle 
    Ben Johnson

Washington
    Mike MacDonald
    Anthony Weaver

Tomorrow 1/30
Seattle
    Mike MacDonald

Washington
    Ben Johnson
    Aaron Glenn
    Dan Quinn

Rooney rule will be satisfied for Washington. They created a list of quality candidates and should complete all of their planned interviews by the end of the day tomorrow, as per many sources posted earlier in this thread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, SkinsNatsFan said:

Along the Captain Obvious lines for many, since it was reported and posted with reputable sources much earlier, but may be new info for others. Hopefully I've got it correct.

Scheduled in-person interviews
Today 1/29
Seattle 
    Ben Johnson

Washington
    Mike MacDonald
    Anthony Weaver

Tomorrow 1/30
Seattle
    Mike MacDonald

Washington
    Ben Johnson
    Aaron Glenn
    Dan Quinn

Rooney rule will be satisfied for Washington. They created a list of quality candidates and should complete all of their planned interviews by the end of the day tomorrow, as per many sources posted earlier in this thread.

I believe the Rooney will be satisfied today, 1/29/24 when they interview Weaver as they had an in-person interview with Raheem Morris already before he became HC with the Falcons.  

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

Poor guy, so you missed '82-'91 for the most part :( ?

I was born May 1992, about four months after the last Super Bowl win. I have seen three playoff wins in my lifetime, one of which happened when I was less than a year old.

• Sad 2

Johnson will come into our meeting, if he takes it, with numbers and a situation in SEA to beat. That’s only a problem for us if he doesn’t want to be here. Which is kind of the biggest qualifier. If he never makes it to our meeting tomorrow, then that point goes doubly. If it’s meant to happen, it’ll happen. Our crew will run a top notch interview and have the conversations needed to see if we’re his best fit. If he (or we!) decide he’s not, then we’ll have to be at peace with that. 

But Johnson meeting SEA first won’t be the reason it doesn’t work out, if it doesn’t. That’ll mean it was never gonna work out. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Curtisp5286 said:

The rule is designed to give minorities a chance. Are you telling me they couldnt find some guys to give chances too over the past 2 weeks? No Rooney Rule interview would be a sham interview. It would be doing exactly what the rule was designed to do.

• Like 1

It would be but lets not act like teams don't do it. I think the fact that they waited means people exaggerated how much they wanted Johnson. They were/are clearly interested in him but also seems to be genuinely interested in other candidates also. 

Also for someone so sought after, few teams were willing to wait for Johnson. They all hired before even giving him a second interview or making their pitch. 

I think the fact that they waited means that they identified their favorite candidates and conducting an ethical interview process.

The fact is that there are two job openings right now.  Johnson has no reason not to take both interviews before making a decision, so that’s what he will do.  This would be true regardless of whether Commanders had satisfied the Rooney Rule requirements already or not, so nothing lost from my point of view.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

A.  Seattle is annoying for surprisingly canning Carroll and entering the coaching chase.

B.  The above lacked class.

C.  I think they only do this because they have someone, likely Johnson, that they desperately want.

Hopefully, Johnson doesn’t get the warm and fuzzies based on how they kicked the coach who delivered a Super Bowl to the curb.  I also have to think that selecting a rookie QB at #2 is more enticing than inheriting Geno Smith.

On the other hand he can look around and find DK Metcalf, JSN, Kenneth Walker, and overrated but talented Charbonnet. A lot of weapons, all young. They may let Metcalf go, but regardless, they have what you want other than QB, and Geno is a year removed from a major bounce back season. I like their build a lot better than ours, but we have a much easier route to solving QB than they do. Its an interesting question. 

4 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

The rule is designed to give minorities a chance. Are you telling me they couldnt find some guys to give chances too over the past 2 weeks? No Rooney Rule interview would be a sham interview. It would be doing exactly what the rule was designed to do.

Come on.  They set up interviews with their favorite 7 HC candidates.  To then interview someone else just to satisfy the rule would be like the textbook definition of a sham.  The rule is meant to encourage the interviewing of actual minority candidates for the job.

Anyway, if they were at all worried about it they could have interviewed either of Glenn or Weaver today and it would have been settled.  At this point there are two openings, there is no reason for anyone to not take interviews with both teams before making a decision.  What difference does it makes?

10 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

That's why this rule needs to go, it's pretty messed up that some guys are flying cross country to interview for a job that they never had a chance to get, just so the team makes an arbitrary quota. Theses teams make more money if they win, I doubt in the year 2024 that any owner is hiring on race. It's all about winning now and making money hand over fist. 

Hopefully these rules will change soon, if not, then hire a minority at every coaching position and try to get them hired away to other teams. Those extra picks are huge.

17 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

The LA Chargers interviewing Leslie Frazier and David Shaw because they could do in-person interviews before the divisional round so they could expedite Harbaugh's hiring was the definition of sham interviews.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

Andy Reid seemed to be calling the game to keep the lead and run out the clock. I have no doubts that if the Ravens came out in the 2nd half scoring TD's Mahomes and crew would have had no issues keeping up. 

This is what good coaches do. They make adjustments. It's been way too long since we've had coaches capable or willing to do that.

I was hoping we'd target him as GM and MacDonald as HC.  We got Peters though and I am very happy we landed him. :)  

10 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

The LA Chargers interviewing Leslie Frazier and David Shaw because they could do in-person interviews before the divisional round so they could expedite Harbaugh's hiring was the definition of sham interviews.

No they werent. What if Frazier or Shaw blew them away and one was hired. Would it be a sham then?

• Thumb up 1