Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

1 hour ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I just want to make sure I have this right. Johnson had an offensive line loaded with 1st round picks, a 1st round running back, a #1 pick at QB, a stud at TE and nobody is questioning if he's a good head coach or if its just the talent around him? Everyone has just determined that he's great and really wants him here right? He's only been a coordinator for 2 years and showed significant progress from his 1st year to his 2nd?

Just making sure I have this correct for when I see "Daniels had great WRs and talent around him" said by the same people all in on Johnson who has an absurd amount of talent on his offense.

Anyway, its likely Johnson and I'm good with it. He's not my first choice but was high on my list. I hope he puts a good staff together. I don't know what kind of connections he has but building a good roster of coaches is going to be super important (especially the d coordinator)

Lions Offensive DVOA Rank:

• 2020: 19th
  • 2021: 29th
  • 2022: 7th (Ben Johnson takes over as OC)
  • 2023: 5th

That's not an accident.

Also, if you pay close attention, people are praising him for his clever schemes and play calls, not just the results.  He's a legitimate top 5 offensive mind in this league.  If Peters and co. view him as a good leader as well, we'd be foolish not to hire him IMO.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I just want to make sure I have this right. Johnson had an offensive line loaded with 1st round picks, a 1st round running back, a #1 pick at QB, a stud at TE and nobody is questioning if he's a good head coach or if its just the talent around him? Everyone has just determined that he's great and really wants him here right? He's only been a coordinator for 2 years and showed significant progress from his 1st year to his 2nd?

Just making sure I have this correct for when I see "Daniels had great WRs and talent around him" said by the same people all in on Johnson who has an absurd amount of talent on his offense.

I’m in agreement w/you here… not taking anything away from Ben Johnson or any of the other candidates, but I too think most ppl are throwing away the narrative that Ben Johnson does have a lot of talent to work with, and more importantly the best OL in the NFL,  as Bill Parcells would probably say, “he’s got a lot of food to work w/to make a gourmet meal” where as currently the Commanders have who on offense to work with? McLaurin, Cosmi for sure, after that it’s a decent Dotson, BRob but that’s it… Bill Parcells would probably say “they barely have enough to prepared a TV dinner” sad thing for all these Head Coaching candidates though is they are going to bad teams, with very little to no talent at all… but I think it’s valid to ask the question

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Its not about Johnson's raw results in terms of stats and rankings. Watch the Lions play. They have good run pass balance. They're efficient and have good tempo. Guys who aren't super highly heralded are schemed open. There is a rhythm to their playcalling. There is a crispness and smoothness to how they operate. Even really talented offenses can look like dysfunctional messes(look at the Eagles their last 6-7 games).

One example I'll give. When the Lions had a 1 point lead against the Rams and had the ball late, they didn't go run run pass. They actually threw the ball twice on early downs to ensure they could kill the clock. They employed a similar mindset against the Bucs.

And then you listen to him and hear what people have to say about him. He's smart. Great communicator. He's innovative but also aggressive. He's got all the tools of a modern day coach.

Remember Sean McVay's last season as OC here he had a talented offense too: Kirk Cousins, Desean Jackson, Pierre Garcon, Jamison Crowder, Jordan Reed, and a really good OL. But everyone still wanted him as HC because he possessed the same kind of traits that they say Ben Johnson has now. And well safe to say he's panned out.

Like I said: even the most talented orchestras need a great conductor to make it work.

7 minutes ago, Command The 414 said:

I’m in agreement w/you here… not taking anything away from Ben Johnson or any of the other candidates, but I too think most ppl are throwing away the narrative that Ben Johnson does have a lot of talent to work with, and more importantly the best OL in the NFL,  as Bill Parcells would probably say, “he’s got a lot of food to work w/to make a gourmet meal” where as currently the Commanders have who on offense to work with? McLaurin, Cosmi for sure, after that it’s a decent Dotson, BRob but that’s it… Bill Parcells would probably say “they barely have enough to prepared a TV dinner” sad thing for all these Head Coaching candidates though is they are going to bad teams, with very little to no talent at all… but I think it’s valid to ask the question

Do you trust GMAP's ability to put a talented roster together?

And I think McLaurin, Dotson, and Robinson is a pretty good starting point. We'll also have the #2 pick, 5 picks in the top 100, and $90 Mil in cap space to upgrade the talent.

Edited by Warhead36
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

No one is ignoring the smoke, though.

Does anyone else ever read conversations here and then see replies and you question your own sanity? Because I feel like I have to be the one missing something here.

Someone was trying to share info with you and now they won't in the future, that's all you missed here bud.

I'll go back to lurking. 

30 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

This can only happen if Macdonald doesn't get a HC job. Which I would be very surprised by.

At this point I’d be pretty surprised if MacDonald got a HC job.  Only open jobs are Commanders (Johnson), Chargers (Harbaugh), Falcons, Seahawks, and Panthers.  I don’t think MacDonald has even interviewed with any of those later three teams.

You can see a playcaller’s philosophies in their schemes, formations, tendencies, how they attack defenses, etc.

For the same reason I can tell you the things about Ben Johnson that I really like regardless of the talent he’s working with and the results—I can tell you (and have) the things about Bieniemy that I really hate regardless of the lack of talent he was working with and the results. 

It’s not just about the production and what his talent is achieving. It’s everything else (which results in strengths being maximized and weaknesses being hidden, more often than not).

Edited by Conn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Command The 414 said:

Are all Bill Parcelles football metaphors food related?  Serious question.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Hitman#21 said:

Someone was trying to share info with you and now they won't in the future, that's all you missed here bud.

I'll go back to lurking. 

What info were you sharing that most of us weren’t aware of?

Ben Johnson is going to wind up our head coach. 

He’s not, yet, though because he is the OC of the Detroit Lions.

• Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Yes, we should. If marriage vows can be renewed, terminations can be renewed too.

Holy cow!

l’ll list under things I wasn’t expecting to see today.  Hope you have an internet flak jacket handy!

• Thumb up 1

11 minutes ago, Hitman#21 said:

I'll go back to lurking. 

Hitman, any scuttlebutt on the DC position and/or which QB the FO & Johnson like at 2 overall? I’m getting greedy 🙂

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Remember when Jim Fassell was our head coach and it was done? I do. 

When was he our actual head coach again?

**** happens, folks. Use words how they are supposed to be used and it avoids the semantics bull****.

I think Eddie Royal is also still sitting at a table at Morton's waiting on Dan and Vinny right now as well.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, FuriousD said:

Holy cow!

l’ll list under things I wasn’t expecting to see today.  Hope you have an internet flak jacket handy!

I believe that response was that yes, we should fire him again. No flak jacket required for that.

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

I think Eddie Royal is also still sitting at a table at Morton's waiting on Dan and Vinny right now as well.

Rumor has it he's still waiting to order.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, FuriousD said:

Holy cow!

I don't think many Joe Barry fans are going to be coming out of the woodwork to protest a second termination of his contract.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hitman#21 said:

It's been done for awhile RWJ. Both are going through the process for different reasons (favors to agents, Rooney rule, etc). Like I said it'll be announced next week or the Tuesday after the SB. 

I will see you guys then :) 

Yep, sure sounds like Johnson will have followed the same thought process as Peters did once his interview request came along. I’m in.

• Like 1