Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

30 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

Two things:

1. The Ben Johnson hype campaign reminds me of the campaign surrounding Jay Gruden when he was the OC with the Bengals and was coaching in the 2013/14 playoffs before being hired here.

Why? Other than being offensive coordinators, not sure there are a lot of similarities. It's not like half the league was hoping to hire Jay Gruden.

11 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

They did?

Rivera won two coach of the year awards. Figure that one out. Actually, I don't think Rivera the coach was that bad, to be honest. Not necessarily good either. More just fine. But the first three years the team was hovering around .500, despite a dumpster fire at QB. That's something.

Ultimately, Rivera the personal director did in Rivera the coach. The talent level (or lack there of) became too big an issue. And, to an extent, it probably speaks to the credibility of those coach of the year awards.

• Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Ultimately, Rivera the personal director did in Rivera the coach

I agree. I was speaking more of their defenses. Because they were basically trash the entire time they were here. There was far more talent on their defenses, Especially before Ron destroyed the roster, for them to be as bad as they were.

5 minutes ago, lavar1156 said:

He dominated Ben Johnson too. Assuming he's a good leader I hope he's high up on our list.

Yeah hes my 3rd choice after Johnson and Slowik only because I still want an offensive coach 

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

limit(which is perfectly reasonable). If Johnson loves Bryce Young as well then its a good fit. But we can offer more stabile and easy to work with owner, top notch GM, and an essential clean slate to build and develop. 

He may like even Sam Howell over Bryce Young???? And that's not me sayin Howell should be our starter, it's me saying Howell is better than Bryce Young.

1 minute ago, kingdaddy said:

He may like even Sam Howell over Bryce Young???? And that's not me sayin Howell should be our starter, it's me saying Howell is better than Bryce Young.

That is certainly possible but would be a big time minority opinion.

You all are killing me with the Rooney Rule complaints. You think our new regime should just fall in love with Johnson without interviewing EVERY viable candidate?   Who annointed Johnson?  You think Magic Johnson is going to allow us to not do our due diligence with every candidate... INCLUDING Black candidates? That's the way we got into this quagmire after Schottenheimer and Gibbs 2. 

What makes Morris less of a candidate... especially for a team that finished nearly last in defense?  Funny, nearly no one is questioning the Johnson hype from the talking heads, but Raheem's GM gives him a glowing reference and there are ulterior draft picks motives.... 

Get outta here.  INTERVIEW EVERYONE AND PICK THE BEST CANDIDATE. #trusttheprocess

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, klwilkins1977 said:

You all are killing me with the Rooney Rule complaints. You think our new regime should just fall in love with Johnson without interviewing EVERY viable candidate?   Who annointed Johnson?  You think Magic Johnson is going to allow us to not do our due diligence with every candidate... INCLUDING Black candidates? That's the way we got into this quagmire after Schottenheimer and Gibbs 2. 

What makes Morris less of a candidate... especially for a team that finished nearly last in defense?  Funny, nearly no one is questioning the Johnson hype from the talking heads, but Raheem's GM gives him a glowing reference and there are ulterior draft picks motives.... 

Get outta here.  INTERVIEW EVERYONE AND PICK THE BEST CANDIDATE. #trusttheprocess

Pretty sure everyone here expects this front office to do a very thorough HC search. There is no evidence that they are not. I'd say Johnson is a favorite on this board but no news out of Ashburn that is the case. 

Issue with Raheem is he doesn't have a very good track record as a HC or DC. Ben Johnson does but in a small sample size. 

7 minutes ago, klwilkins1977 said:

Interview everyone, including BB, Harbaugh, Vrabel, and maybe even Carroll. Why wouldn’t you at a minimum want to learn what they think of your team?

Quite possible some of these guys have declined to participate, but proven commodities like this aren't available every offseason, it seems shortsighted not to include them.  Hopefully they have / will.

Edited by Andre The Giant
  • Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

This is basically a defensive match between two elite playcallers. DeMeco has that defense playing well considering how overmatched they are. 

15 minutes ago, klwilkins1977 said:

I agree. 

3 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Why did Rivera and Co get rid of Steven Sims?

Because RR and Co. didn't know talent right in front of their face!  We see what they did the past 3 years.  We finally have a great talent evaluator in Adam Peters. :)  

13 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Interview the best candidate yes. But forcing teams to interview candidates of color to fill some quota is stupid. If anything it just causes resentment. 

Meh, it's just an interview.  Much better than the days when qualified candidates of color couldn't even get considerations for openings.  Not much of a burden to make every team at least conduct interviews with minority candidates.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bearrock said:

Meh, it's just an interview.  Much better than the days when qualified candidates of color couldn't even get considerations for openings.  Not much of a burden to make every team at least conduct interviews with minority candidates.

Bingo, teams aren't forced to hire anyone so what does an interview hurt? It let's people at least have an opportunity to gain experience learning how the process works and what teams are looking for. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jumbo said:

Can't help myself. I'll pull for the lions and just hope it doesn't overly complicate any moves we might be planning.

I’m kind of interested to see how Ben Johnson handles the aggressive blitz scheme of Todd Bowles and the Bucs. Hoping for a good game. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

24 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Interview the best candidate yes. But forcing teams to interview candidates of color to fill some quota is stupid. If anything it just causes resentment. 

I think the concern of the poster is that the minority candidates, who are highly qualified SHOULD be interviewed and considered, are being put into a “Rooney Rule” group, insinuating they’re actually NOT qualified and shouldn’t be considered but the rule mandates we put on the facade, just an impediment to hiring Johnson or Slowik. 

These candidates, like Morris, could be the next great head NFL coach and the Commanders should absolutely and thoroughly go thru the process to interrogate these coaches and select the best one, not just the hot coordinator like say a Ben Johnson.

It does seem a bit disingenuous to imply a coordinator like Raheem Morris is only a Rooney Rule interview when his resume’ is just as distinguished if not more so than Ben Johnson’s just because he’s your top choice.  Let the process play out and may the best man be selected. 

1 minute ago, lovemaskins said:

I think the concern of the poster is that the minority candidates, who are highly qualified SHOULD be interviewed and considered, are being put into a “Rooney Rule” group, insinuating they’re actually NOT qualified and shouldn’t be considered but the rule mandates we put on the facade, just an impediment to hiring Johnson or Slowik. 

These candidates, like Morris, could be the next great head NFL coach and the Commanders should absolutely and thoroughly go thru the process to interrogate these coaches and select the best one, not just the hot coordinator like say a Ben Johnson.

It does seem a bit disingenuous to imply a coordinator like Raheem Morris is only a Rooney Rule interview when his resume’ is just as distinguished if not more so than Ben Johnson’s just because he’s your top choice.  Let the process play out and may the best man be selected. 

Not to get into a tailgate discussion but the team who benefited most from the current system is the 49ers. They have received an insane amount of comp picks. The Rams want in on that action with Raheem. 

Raheem is the new David Shaw. A ton of fake praise, supposedly great interviews then the real candidate is hired. 

Raheem is a proven NFL failure. His resume is abysmal and pathetic. Johnson’s is not. Johnson could turn out to be a huge loser too but that’s an unknown. Johnson’s better comp is EB. 

Raheem’s comp is Jim Zorn today. 

• Haha 1