Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

36 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

- San Diego: Jim Harbaugh.  He'll want to go where there is a QB, and that's San Diego.  

Who's the QB in San Diego, the San Diego Chicken? There's no franchise in San Diego!!!! 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Hope so

Something needs to give.  You get your shot to interview and if he's your guy it usually happens sooner rather than later as we know.  We got out the gate beautifully but others are starting to catch up now. 

3 hours ago, HigSkin said:

I have not seen his name listed on any lists.  Weird

It is and I would have really liked him here.  There's a reason and it would be nice to know.  Oh well. :) 

2 hours ago, HigSkin said:

I don't get this repeated mentions of Commanders interest

Click bait and wants to shine in the spotlight. 

52 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Earlier this week, a handful of Chiefs fan blogs speculated on whether Kansas City could bring back Eric Bieniemy to fix the team’s stagnant offense for a playoff run.

That’s not going to happen, but it speaks to the level of esteem in which the veteran coach is held in Kansas City. It’s a love he never felt in Washington.

Bieniemy called the plays for the Commanders this season after taking over an offense that, while it finished 24th in the league in 2022, seemed poised to take off under proper leadership.

Instead, this year’s Commanders finished 25th in the league in points scored, failed to make a leap forward, and have now left Bieniemy in limbo just a year after buzz was building that he would be an NFL head coach soon.

Bieniemy’s hard-charging style never played well in the Commanders locker room, as veteran players bristled when he changed the schedule, demanding more of the team. Head coach Ron Rivera aired those concerns openly during training camp, later apologizing for creating a distraction and backing Bieniemy’s style.

Still, as the year ended, opinions were lukewarm at best among the team’s longtime players.

“I might be the only one to say it, but I think we had our ups and downs,” tight end Logan Thomas said. “We had some good, we had some bad. It’s one of those things where something new comes in after you’ve been used to something else for a couple years and sometimes you can bang heads. But I respect him for coming to work every day and being the same person every day. If you have a person who comes in and can be the same person, you can get on board with that.”

The culture clash is one reason new owner Josh Harris has instituted a sweeping evaluation of the building as he works to build his team moving forward.

Harris said Monday that Bieniemy would be approached as part of the coaching search, but made no commitments beyond that.

“I’ve enjoyed working with Eric, and obviously he’s had success over the years,” Harris said.

Offensive lineman Andrew Wylie followed Bieniemy from Kansas City, and lauded Bieniemy for not changing even as the environment around him did.

“He stayed to his guns this year,” Wylie said. “He didn’t change. EB has stayed the same coach that I’ve known for the last 5 years, and I commend him for that and I respect the hell out of him for that. I owe him so much in my life and my career, so I respect the hell out of him for not changing who he is, not changing his coaching style, and I don’t think he ever will.”

But Sam Cosmi, the team’s right tackle who was arguably the Commanders’ best offensive lineman this year, said the team lacked offensive balance.

At one point, quarterback Sam Howell led the league in attempts, even as the team had a losing record.

“I wanted to run the ball more,” Cosmi said. “And I felt like it was nothing but dropback passes. So, I just wanted to be more balanced, to be completely honest with you. Just run the rock, please. That’s all I would have to say with that.”

Where Bieniemy goes from here is somewhat unknown. It’s unlikely he has done enough to land a head coaching position, though all it takes is one team to hire him for that role. He could also chase one of the prominent offensive coordinator jobs, like Chicago or Seattle, and use success there to cleanse the memories of his time in Washington.

Regardless of which direction he goes, it’s unlikely that his time in Washington will be remembered as the career launcher it was initially hoped to be.

“I know it’s been a challenge because I’ve probably gotten more phone calls and more text messages than I ever have in the past 10 years,” Bieniemy said. “You try not to internalize it. It’s tough because when you are a competitor, you always want to win regardless.”

I did not write this, but y'all (VoR) are welcome to say that I was right all year.

874mqm.jpg

• Haha 9

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

Just say no to BB!!  Start fresh all the way around!  There is a lot of data that BB is only as good as Tom Brady made him, 

Record with Tom Brady - 219 - 64

Record without Brady - 80 - 93  

Yes, his Ds helped those early SBs. But it was clear that while both had input, Tom Brady was more important to thier success than BB was. 

Also, I really am just more intereested in seeing someone fresh and with something to prove. Not to mention someone that's not in their 70s! 

There's a phrase "complementary football." Tom, even in his career infancy, was excellent in pressure moments not just in big games but the mid-season contests. When your defense can rely on relatively mistake-free passing game from its QB, there is more they can do in terms of not only risks but even bend-but-not-breaking.  There is a synergy there, which is why you usually see the very high-flying offenses not paired with a good defense, not due to lack of talent but the effects on the defense due to a high scoring and fast offense. For a good example of complementary football, see Michigan 2023.

Bill's value as a coach was likely in setting the foundation in organizational culture and attention to detail but he needed Brady to actually win. Also, we expect truly great coaches to have assistants that go out and excel (not all but some.) The New England assistants have been enormous, and at times, embarrassing flops. That lends credence to the idea there was some emergent property in NE that was only properly catalyzed by Tom Brady and his leadership. 

24 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Earlier this week, a handful of Chiefs fan blogs speculated on whether Kansas City could bring back Eric Bieniemy to fix the team’s stagnant offense for a playoff run.

That’s not going to happen, but it speaks to the level of esteem in which the veteran coach is held in Kansas City. It’s a love he never felt in Washington.

Bieniemy called the plays for the Commanders this season after taking over an offense that, while it finished 24th in the league in 2022, seemed poised to take off under proper leadership.

Instead, this year’s Commanders finished 25th in the league in points scored, failed to make a leap forward, and have now left Bieniemy in limbo just a year after buzz was building that he would be an NFL head coach soon.

Bieniemy’s hard-charging style never played well in the Commanders locker room, as veteran players bristled when he changed the schedule, demanding more of the team. Head coach Ron Rivera aired those concerns openly during training camp, later apologizing for creating a distraction and backing Bieniemy’s style.

Still, as the year ended, opinions were lukewarm at best among the team’s longtime players.

“I might be the only one to say it, but I think we had our ups and downs,” tight end Logan Thomas said. “We had some good, we had some bad. It’s one of those things where something new comes in after you’ve been used to something else for a couple years and sometimes you can bang heads. But I respect him for coming to work every day and being the same person every day. If you have a person who comes in and can be the same person, you can get on board with that.”

The culture clash is one reason new owner Josh Harris has instituted a sweeping evaluation of the building as he works to build his team moving forward.

Harris said Monday that Bieniemy would be approached as part of the coaching search, but made no commitments beyond that.

“I’ve enjoyed working with Eric, and obviously he’s had success over the years,” Harris said.

Offensive lineman Andrew Wylie followed Bieniemy from Kansas City, and lauded Bieniemy for not changing even as the environment around him did.

“He stayed to his guns this year,” Wylie said. “He didn’t change. EB has stayed the same coach that I’ve known for the last 5 years, and I commend him for that and I respect the hell out of him for that. I owe him so much in my life and my career, so I respect the hell out of him for not changing who he is, not changing his coaching style, and I don’t think he ever will.”

But Sam Cosmi, the team’s right tackle who was arguably the Commanders’ best offensive lineman this year, said the team lacked offensive balance.

At one point, quarterback Sam Howell led the league in attempts, even as the team had a losing record.

“I wanted to run the ball more,” Cosmi said. “And I felt like it was nothing but dropback passes. So, I just wanted to be more balanced, to be completely honest with you. Just run the rock, please. That’s all I would have to say with that.”

Where Bieniemy goes from here is somewhat unknown. It’s unlikely he has done enough to land a head coaching position, though all it takes is one team to hire him for that role. He could also chase one of the prominent offensive coordinator jobs, like Chicago or Seattle, and use success there to cleanse the memories of his time in Washington.

Regardless of which direction he goes, it’s unlikely that his time in Washington will be remembered as the career launcher it was initially hoped to be.

“I know it’s been a challenge because I’ve probably gotten more phone calls and more text messages than I ever have in the past 10 years,” Bieniemy said. “You try not to internalize it. It’s tough because when you are a competitor, you always want to win regardless.”

I'm convinced EB threw the ball so much in hopes that he could show the league how great his offense was and how many points he could put up. Before we all rush to judgement on Sam and kick him to the curb, think of how poorly he was managed from day one as a starter by an OC who, TO ME, had an agenda that included finding his own success over cultivating the long term success of Sam Howell. How can anyone justify throwing the ball as much as Howell was forced to in a QB's 1st season as a starting QB? Kudos to Sam Cosmi for bluntly telling it like it is/was. Again, Sam getting through the season in one piece without missing a game deserves some kind of an award or acknowledgement. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

2E4126A4-06CC-4537-8BC2-F4A28787881D.gif

You broke an unspoken board rule:  If you are going to change somebody's quote, you MUST say that you changed the quote. Something like "fixed it for you" or like that.  

I went scrolling back in an absolute panic to make sure there wasn't some completely bizarre autocorrect thing.  

There wasn't.  Phew.  Panic attack averted.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

Joshy let's rapid and thoroughly announce Adam Peter's name.  You know that's who you want as your head of FB OPS and get the advisory team to convince Ian to come on board as GM.  

7 hours ago, FrFan said:

I think this hiring process is conducted very thoroughly and professionally therefore its taking some time. Since Harris has a very good reputation and that we're the sexiest girl of the dance hall I believe those candidates will fight for the job.

I'm sure he does.

But this process has been in every fan's mind since the new ownneship was formalized.

If the FO is going this way then we, as fans, need to start viewing next season as a complete rebuild.

A trully momentous period that will bring sustancial change here.

That's gonna take time and could get really ugly.

This is interesting and I really don't care for it as far as HC but it would be Peter's call.  Wilks possibly for HC per Matt Barrows, 9ers beat reporter.  

• Like 1

Just now, lavar1156 said:

What makes Ian Cunningham so attractive? The Bears roster doesn't seem like it's anything special.

It's been reported league wide that Cunningham is the brightest, youngest analytical minds out there for a GM position and possibly more (VP of Football OPS).  

• Thumb up 1