Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

29 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/ron-cook/2024/01/10/adam-schefter-jay-glazer-reports-art-rooney-ii/stories/202401100039

A new leadership voice would benefit the Steelers. Their marriage with Tomlin has lasted 17 years, an eternity in the NFL. Hall of Fame coach Bill Walsh once said no coach should stay longer than 10 years with one team, that the coach’s message gets tired and stale.

That’s an idiotic take from a Pittsburg reporter.  

FWIW, the Steelers have had 3 coaches in their history, each for more than 10 years, and each with SB rings.

The Tomlin hate is just absolutely absurd.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

FWIW, the Steelers have had 3 coaches in their history, each for more than 10 years, and each with SB rings.

Come on now. They've been around since the 30's. Are you telling me that Noll coached them for almost 60 seasons? :ols:

• Haha 2

Just now, SkinsFTW said:

Come on now. They've been around since the 30's. Are you telling me that Noll coached them for almost 60 seasons? :ols:

Wasn't as stressful when he coached in the 30s....no internet

1 hour ago, OtisDriftwood25 said:

To be honest Saban can make 5 million dollars sitting on ESPN for 4 months doing college gameday. If he does have the love of football and the itch to coach NFL is so much easier. You don’t have to recruit year round and go into kids living rooms.

And you still get to play golf like Spurrier.

29 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I think they should let the men they pay do their jobs.  When it comes to firing and hiring, Ok.  Not making FB decisions.  JMO. Bud. :) 

I think the difference now is that you won’t have a petulant child entering the draft room telling the scouts he doesn’t care who they want…pick my guy.  

Josh appears to be a very savvy and experienced sports owner who knows what he doesn’t know.  Point being, they are going to go with who his NFL experts tell him they should go with.  

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Commander PK said:

I think the difference now is that you won’t have a petulant child entering the draft room telling the scouts he doesn’t care who they want…pick my guy.  

Josh appears to be a very savvy and experienced sports owner who knows what he doesn’t know.  Point being, they are going to go with who his NFL experts tell him they should go with.  

We will find out in the future how involved Harris will be.  Jack Kent Cooke stayed out and let Bobby and Joe do their jobs. I like that style.  To each their own though. I get it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Maybe Saban retired to take the Atlanta Falcons job. It's not a long distance from where he's already at. 

Didn't Sabin quit on the dolphins in mid season and was not doing a very good job in the NFL. It's not as easy to win when you cannot get all the top prospects that you want.

Just now, skinsfan66 said:

Didn't Sabin quit on the dolphins in mid season and was not doing a very good job in the NFL. It's not as easy to win when you cannot get all the top prospects that you want.

If my memory serves me right I believe he finished out the season in Miami.  I think the drama with all that was when he told the media he was 100% committed to the Dolphins and right after the season he took the Bama job.

4 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

Yes he quit while still under contract, but now the NIL probably makes him hate recruiting new players. The NFL is much easier in that respect but he's 72 and probably done. Was just saying, he didn't announce this when he lost over a week ago, he waited until just a couple days after the Falcons fired Smith.

Edited by SkinsFTW

57 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

The owner is always going to be involved to some extent. You dont spend 6 billion dollars to own a company and have no input at all. 

Exactly. Hes gonna wanna know who his franchise QB is. But Harris wont be the one deciding to draft one and if so, who.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Yes he quit while still under contract, but now the NIL probably makes him hate recruiting new players. The NFL is much easier in that respect but he's 72 and probably done. Was just saying, he didn't announce this when he lost over a week ago, he waited until just a couple days after the Falcons fired Smith.

I didn't think about that with the timing of the Falcons opening but now you got me wondering lol

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Tomlin is not a dinosaur, damn it.  He’s 51.  

He just got his first HC job when he was in diapers.  

He’s GenX.  

And I’m not just saying that because if he’s a dinosaur then I’m a dinosaur.  He’s 4 years older than me. Kyle Shanahan is 44.  Not that much younger.  

FWIW, John Harbaugh is 61. 

Dan Campbell is 47.  He is perceived younger because he just got his first HC job 3 years ago. But he’s only 4 years younger than Tomlin. 

Wow....I guess you all can come visit my new enclosure at Jurassic Park.  I will ensure that for all ES'ers, there will be a "coupon day".

image.png.c78d8ea6d5208099088590cf38bd3a3f.png

1 minute ago, RabidFan said:

Wow....I guess you all can come visit my new enclosure at Jurassic Park.  I will ensure that for all ES'ers, there will be a "coupon day".

image.png.c78d8ea6d5208099088590cf38bd3a3f.png

Hey RF.  Make sure there is plenty of prime rib and lobster.  Capice?  

7 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Toppings too?

more like droppings.  can everyone tell we are dying for some VPOFO/GM news?  thought I'll go back and forth on music/movies/pop culture all day long.  

Hopefully we hear by Friday of a hire and then onto the HCs after the playoff games this weekend.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Andre The Giant said:

I’m 

The Commanders’ search for a top executive has focused primarily on five candidates: Peters, Kansas City Chiefs assistant GM Mike Borgonzi, Cleveland Browns assistant GM and vice president of player personnel Glenn Cook, Philadelphia Eagles assistant GM Alec Halaby and Chicago Bears assistant GM Ian Cunningham, according to multiple people with knowledge of the process. Borgonzi, Cook and Peters underwent a first round of interviews Tuesday, and Halaby and Cunningham were scheduled to meet with the Commanders on Wednesday.

Those initial interviews were held at Harris’s home offices in Miami and followed a distinct format, according to people with knowledge of the process. Each candidate talked to Spielman separately, then met with Myers and Harris. It’s possible the candidates will also interview with Rales, Johnson and Blitzer in some capacity, be it in person or virtually.

Two people said the interviews seemed to be designed to eliminate “fluff,” meaning any scripted material in which candidates appear as if they’re simply going through the motions of the interview.

The vision for Washington’s front office differs from recent years. The top executive will probably be titled president of football operations or something similar; GM Martin Mayhew is still under contract and, along with executive vice president of football/player personnel Marty Hurney, is expected to stay with the team through at least the search process. Mayhew’s and Hurney’s futures will probably depend on the primary executive’s plan for the front office.

“What that person wants to do or not do is really important in our decision process,” Harris said of the incoming executive. “Doesn’t mean that [owners] are not involved in it, but it means that to a large extent, you’re relying on that person to bring a series of candidates to the table, and so that would be my ideal scenario.”

Rivera was the head coach and top executive, retaining final say over personnel and operations during his four years with Washington. Harris said he envisions a more siloed structure for the next front office, with the top executive overseeing operations and personnel and the coach managing all aspects on the field.

“There are certainly individuals that control everything,” he said. “I think it’s increasingly hard, so my orientation is not to do that. But on the other hand, I’m going to really be somewhat flexible around talent.”

As Harris has said often, it starts with finding the “best” talent — and finding those extra edges.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3