Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

Standig did a great job with this article.

After reading through it, the most commonsense names are (in order) to me:

• Joe Hortiz - We've read that Harris wants to build a front office like Baltimore. Taking the #2 front office guy from Baltimore to build that hear seems like a likely scenario.
  • Adam Peters - SF has built a really good team. I don't think the Mayhew connection means squat. Probably shouldn't keep Mayhew here even if you brought in Peters unless he demanded that and is the GM you really want.
  • Dawn Aponte- For the reasons Ben listed. Having someone from the league could bring in strong insight. Plus the first Woman GM in the NFL would be a PR win, and her experience means it wouldn't be for show. She's been a numbers person and cap person for 30 years? She right now knows what's going on with a lot of teams.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Standig did a great job with this article.

After reading through it, the most commonsense names are (in order) to me:

• Joe Hortiz - We've read that Harris wants to build a front office like Baltimore. Taking the #2 front office guy from Baltimore to build that hear seems like a likely scenario.
  • Adam Peters - SF has built a really good team. I don't think the Mayhew connection means squat. Probably shouldn't keep Mayhew here even if you brought in Peters unless he demanded that and is the GM you really want.
  • Dawn Aponte- For the reasons Ben listed. Having someone from the league could bring in strong insight. Plus the first Woman GM in the NFL would be a PR win, and her experience means it wouldn't be for show. She's been a numbers person and cap person for 30 years? She right now knows what's going on with a lot of teams.

Keim talked some about this recently.

Hortiz and Shen have a relationship.

Peters might not want to leave SF

He mentioned Aponte too as a possibility.

Keim was also vague about don't assume because there exists connections to others always matter because in some cases even though they know each other and worked together they actually didn't get along.  He wasn't specific as for who he was referencing.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Peters might not want to leave SF

He mentioned Aponte too as a possibility.

Keim was also vague about don't assume because there exists connections to others always matter because in some cases even though they know each other and worked together they actually didn't get along.  He wasn't specific as for who he was referencing.

I saw Keim's tweets about it. Of course, people who haven't worked together yet may be the best fit of all. Shen being part of the hiring process seems important. Not that he would choose your GM and his boss. But to see how they click.

Every member of the FO needs to be gone. And every senior mgmt executive on the business and operations side needs to be gone. Mr. Bojangles hired a bunch of VPs with scant, if any, genuine experience in those kinds of roles in pro football or pro sports in general; that, to mask his own ineptitude.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CapsSkins said:

Ian Cunningham is going to get an interview and I bet a significant chunk of that will be spent doing homework on Justin Fields as an option compared to Caleb/Drake/Daniels.

one of the only moves we could make that would get me irate would be that one. I really don’t see it. The contract implications put an extremely short timer on your window to build anything, we’re a horrible spot for Fields even if you LIKE him. And I don’t.  

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 3

Aponte is interesting. But her background is more as a numbers cruncher and salary cap person. By all accounts she is brilliant. And her connections to agents, coaches and players association could be invaluable. She is also known as an analytics believer. So would be a good fit with where we are going when it comes to Shen. 

The big question to me is who is going to talent evaluations? That is the spot that matters most when it comes to putting together a winning product. Aponte certainly knows just about everyone. And I am sure has good relationships in that regard. Like the sound of this so far!

By the way. She has a connection to Kingsbury. They worked on the Jets together. Kingsbury is currently Caleb Williams QB coach......

Edited by clskinsfan
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Conn said:

one of the only moves we could make that would get me irate would be that one.

As long as I can guarantee one of the top 3 QBs in this draft, and a top 3 pick does just that, I don't think trading for Fields is justifiable.

He has not proven without a doubt to be the stuff, and there is more tape out there that says he isnt rather than is.

• Like 1

I'd kill for McClay but I constantly hear he's the defacto GM for Dallas so he's just missing the title

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/39230397/nfl-week-18-upset-prediction-buzz-mvp-playoffs-coaching

Some of the names I'm hearing most commonly from NFL people as potential candidates to get GM interviews, be it now or in the near future, include: 49ers assistant GM Adam Peters (who could stay put and get the GM title in San Francisco following John Lynch's promotion to president of football operations), Bears assistant GM Ian Cunningham, Ravens director of player personnel Joe Hortiz, Seahawks assistant GM Nolan Teasley, Colts assistant GM Ed Dodds, Browns assistant GM Catherine Raiche, Eagles assistant GM Alec Halaby, Eagles VP of football administration Jake Rosenberg and Chiefs assistant GM Mike Borgonzi, among others.

There are some who think teams might try to lure VP of player personnel Will McClay away from the Cowboys, but no one has succeeded in doing that yet. Plus, Dallas values McClay highly and likely would spend big to keep him. (He can just never hope to have the GM title, because team owner Jerry Jones holds that title and very much likes doing the job.) I also should note here that Raiders interim GM Champ Kelly should be a strong candidate to keep that job or at least draw interest and interviews from other teams.

• Dan's list of GM candidates above is a solid one. Here are a few more to watch: Browns assistant GM Glenn Cook, Saints assistant GM/vice president of football operations Khai Harley, Giants assistant GM Brandon Brown, Packers vice president of player personnel Jon-Eric Sullivan, Bucs assistant GM John Spytek, former Titans general manager Jon Robinson, Bills assistant GM Brian Gaine, Bills director of player personnel Terrance Gray, Bills senior personnel advisor Malik Boyd, Bengals senior executive Trey Brown, Jets assistant GM Rex Hogan, Texans director of college scouting James Liipfert, Commanders director of player personnel Eric Stokes, Chiefs director of pro scouting Tim Terry, Vikings senior VP of player personnel Ryan Grigson, Jaguars assistant GM Ethan Waugh and Ravens director of college scouting David Blackburn.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's interesting to look at the Ravens FO structure and see many different titles. 

It could be all these names we keep hearing are potentially filled in multiple positions like -

President

Executive VP

Senior VP

GM 

Directors

Edited by HigSkin

1 hour ago, HigSkin said:

It's interesting to look at the Ravens FO structure and see many different titles. 

It could be all these names we keep hearing are potentially filled in multiple positions like -

President

Executive VP

Senior VP

GM 

Directors

Why are people (like the guy in this tweet) acting like this is some unexplored wilderness we’re about to embark on a journey into? This happens every year. Coaches and FO executives get fired (other than anyone with potential you’re purposely keeping around with the new regime’s blessing/request) and the area and regional road scouts and such stay on until after the draft, with the new FO executives evaluating them. Every team pretty much does it the same.

Edited by Conn
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Conn said:

Why are people (like the guy in this tweet) acting like this is some unexplored wilderness we’re about to embark on a journey into? This happens every year. Coaches and FO executives get fired (other than anyone with potential you’re purposely keeping around with the new regime’s blessing/request) and the area and regional road scouts and such stay on until after the draft, with the new FO executives evaluating them. Every team pretty much does it the same.

Pretty sure it's in response to fans wanting a 'house cleaning' and expectations by those fans for that to happen but in reality you have to stage big change.

• Thanks 1

On 1/2/2024 at 1:42 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

Let this baby come to fruition at Hortiz as our new GM!  We are on our way and as an added bonus, MacDonald as our new HC, presently DC of Ravens.  

17 hours ago, RWJ said:

Let this baby come to fruition at Hortiz as our new GM!  We are on our way and as an added bonus, MacDonald as our new HC, presently DC of Ravens.  

🙂 other mentions, Ben Johnson, Dan Quinn, Raheem Morris, Dave Canales, Lou Anarumo, Brian Callahan, etc.

https://theathletic.com/5177001/2024/01/04/commanders-head-coach-candidates/

With head-coaching candidates, labels often matter more than the ingredients.

If fans, team executives or owners want an offensive “expert,” falling for one capable of concocting exotic route concepts that have the game film-obsessed swooning, they’ll look until they think they found one. Whether that person is a culture builder and cool under pressure is often secondary.

There’s a grunty subset who, perhaps knowing star quarterbacks aren’t always readily available for acquisition, want a tough-as-nails coach able to create a high floor by interjecting passion into a defense. Can the coach thread that respect and emotional needle with modern athletes? How about meshing with a talented offensive play caller not once but perhaps multiple times should said talented play caller get poached for a head-coaching job with another team?

We might soon find out if Washington Commanders managing partner Josh Harris has a solid lean either way. Ron Rivera lived a life over his four seasons as head coach, dealing with numerous off-the-field matters along with his football and front-office duties. The trend went south in Year 4. The Commanders are 4-12 entering Sunday’s regular-season finale against the Dallas Cowboys, and staff changes are expected after this disappointing campaign.

If a replacement is coming, former New Orleans Saints and Miami Dolphins general manager Randy Mueller doesn’t see the side of the ball they come from as the main issue.

“I don’t think the head coach must be on the offensive side,” said Mueller, now an NFL analyst for The Athletic, “but I do think it’s much easier to manage a game when you’re the play caller on one side or the other. I think some coaches who view themselves as CEOs lose touch and become just a clock manager.”

Teams cannot begin interviewing coaches in person until Jan. 22. Washington could have a new general manager or front-office lead in place sooner rather than later to help or direct a head-coaching search. Whatever happens, here’s a look at 13 possible candidates based on league-wide expectations and conversations with various sources.

Spoiler: One name not on the list is Bill Belichick. If arguably the greatest coach in NFL history is available, you think about it. I don’t see Harris starting his tenure with a 71-year-old who will likely retire long before a new stadium is built. He isn’t at the forefront of the analytics movement and likely wants significant personnel control when recent results have been less than stellar. Adding Belichick might require a trade to boot.

Mike Macdonald, DC, Ravens

Watching what’s happening up I-95, it’s easy to tell Macdonald’s work with the Baltimore Ravens’ stingy defense is impressive. But my colleague Jeff Zrebiec has the daily up-close view, so I asked what he thinks of the coaching riser:

“The 36-year-old has quickly risen since John Harbaugh hired him as a coaching intern in 2014. He spent six seasons as a defensive assistant in Baltimore before Jim Harbaugh hired him as his defensive coordinator at Michigan in 2021. He returned to the NFL after earning high marks for his adaptability and creativity in formulating game plans to limit some of the league’s best offenses. Macdonald is directing a Ravens defense that could 

become the first in NFL history to lead the league in points allowed per game, sacks and takeaways.”

Hiring Ravens player personnel director Joe Hortiz or another executive with Baltimore ties (Chicago Bears assistant GM Ian Cunningham, for example) as general manager could push Macdonald’s candidacy toward the top of the list. It’s the same for Baltimore offensive coordinator Todd Monken.

• Like 1

While Ben Johnson is everyone's favorite, I would have no problems with Macdonald. People cannot deny the outstanding job he's done--he outschemed and outsmarted Kyle Shanahan and Mike McDaniel in back-to-back weeks. They've held teams to 20 points or under 11 times, giving up more than 30 just twice. That is damned impressive. He also held the Lions to 6 points. Mcdonald might be my #2 behind Johnson at this point.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

While Ben Johnson is everyone's favorite, I would have no problems with Macdonald. People cannot deny the outstanding job he's done--he outschemed and outsmarted Kyle Shanahan and Mike McDaniel in back-to-back weeks. They've held teams to 20 points or under 11 times, giving up more than 30 just twice. That is damned impressive. He also held the Lions to 6 points. Mcdonald might be my #2 behind Johnson at this point.

When these defensive/ST guys succeed as HCs, they tend to have veteran QBs

BB - Brady

Tomlin - Roethlisberger

Harbaugh - Flacco

If Macdonald can secure a strong veteran OC who won’t become a HC again like McDaniels, I’d consider him

I will say though that young elite defensive minds like Macdonald are not as hard to find as the offensive ones because there is a logjam for the young defensive guys as the Joe Barrys and Vance Josephs of the world get gig after gig. It takes some balls to take a bet on a young defensive mind as Harbaugh did with Macdonald, Smith did with Nielsen and Hackett did with Evero.

With in person interviews not allowed for 2 weeks until Jan. 22; I wonder how that affects everyone’s coaching search. I think you can do video interviews though.

That Gives us time to get the Gm in place.

I do wonder if that in person interview rule only applies to people employed on other teams. People who aren’t employed or in college, could still do an in person interview before the 22nd?

3 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

With in person interviews not allowed for 2 weeks until Jan. 22; I wonder how that affects everyone’s coaching search. I think you can do video interviews though.

I do wonder if that in person interview rule only applies to people employed on other teams. People who aren’t employed or in college, could still do an in person interview before the 22nd?

Don’t be surprised if potential GMs and HCs are already having backchannel “package deal” conversations 

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, method man said:

When these defensive/ST guys succeed as HCs, they tend to have veteran QBs

BB - Brady

Tomlin - Roethlisberger

Harbaugh - Flacco

If Macdonald can secure a strong veteran OC who won’t become a HC again like McDaniels, I’d consider him

I will say though that young elite defensive minds like Macdonald are not as hard to find as the offensive ones because there is a logjam for the young defensive guys as the Joe Barrys and Vance Josephs of the world get gig after gig. It takes some balls to take a bet on a young defensive mind as Harbaugh did with Macdonald, Smith did with Nielsen and Hackett did with Evero.

That's not entirely accurate regarding QBs though. Harbaugh succeeded with Jackson as a 2nd yr QB, Ryans is succeeding with Stroud, BB had Brady at the start of his career, Mike Smith had immediate success with Matt Ryan. McDermott with Josh Allen. It's critical to have a high-end QB and OC with Macdonald though--unfortunately, one that's likely to get poached in 2 years.

But you're right about the logjam--no idea how Joe Barry keeps getting gigs. The DCs don't get poached as often either.

15 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Does that rule apply to GMs?