Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

Joe Hortiz, the Ravens' director of player personnel, has already been a candidate for a position as an NFL general manager.

Look for more opportunities to emerge in the future.

Hortiz was listed among 25 candidates likely to become a GM by SI's Albert Breer

"Hortiz has long been one of the best college scouts in the league and has worked his way through the Ravens organization the same way that guys such as Jets GM Joe Douglas and Baltimore GM Eric DeCosta did," Breer wrote. 

"He did well in interviewing with the Giants last year and has diversified his résumé to do more work on the pro side and in team building since DeCosta took over. The Ravens being perhaps the league's most technologically advanced operation doesn't hurt, either."

Hortiz was widely believed to be one of the favorites to land the job. However, the Giants wound up hiring Joe Schoen.

Hortiz has been with the Ravens for a quarter of a century and works closely with George Kokinis, the team's other director of player personnel, to oversee all aspects of college and pro scouting for Baltimore.

The pair serve as GM Eric DeCosta's chief personnel evaluators. The Ravens have earned a playoff spot in four of the past five seasons.

Hortiz spent 10 seasons (2009 — 2018) as the Ravens' director of college scouting. He was responsible for all aspects of the college process, coordinating the schedules and cross-checking duties of the area and national scouts.

Hortiz, who joined the organization in 1998, also spent eight years as a scout for Baltimore, covering the Northeast and Southeast regions before becoming a national scout for three seasons (2006 — 2008). 

The experience should bode well for a potential future promotion.

https://www.si.com/nfl/ravens/news/baltimore-ravens-joe-horitz-future-gm-si-albert-breer-eric-decosta

• Like 9

Adam Peters, 49ers assistant GM: Peters would be a top name if this was a ranking—he was runner-up for the Giants' job last year, and the Maras raved about how the Niners exec was like Schoen—very complete as a personnel man, with command over every level of a football operation. Peters has rings from New England and Denver, and has had a presence in helping put together what’s arguably the best roster in football.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/01/06/nfl-gms-names-to-watch-potential-future

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I'm all in the tank for Johnson/Slowik/Callahan/Smith, but I would NOT be mad at MacDonald. Get him a good OC like Klint Kubiak from SF, and that's a solid staff. 

Yeah I want an offensive minded coach but I wouldn't be against MacDonald. I mean Demeco Ryans is a defensive minded coach and has his Texans playing real well(until Stroud got hurt).

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

The dilemma with a defensive minded head coach is not that they will dismiss offense, it’s that if they have a successful offense the OC will get hired elsewhere.

You would need an older OC who folks don’t see as a future HC, someone like a Monken as an example or Josh McDaniels.

One scenario I could get behind Macdonald for is if the GM wants Daniels. You can get Macdonald as HC and Roman as OC to give Daniels some training wheels in his development for 2-3 seasons before you inevitably replace him

The second order effect of the lack of hiring of DCs into HC roles is that has created a major logjam at the DC position for younger potential first time DCs. All you need to do is look around the league and see who the DCs are team by team. In our division, all DCs have been DCs on other teams. 

In the meantime, the Ravens hit a home run with Macdonald and the Falcons look like they hit a home run with Ryan Nielsen. 

If we go the hire an offensive HC route, as intriguing the proven names are, I hope we do interview some first timers

Mike Macdanold starting to seem more and more like our next coach with all these Ravens rumors .

2 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

I'm all in the tank for Johnson/Slowik/Callahan/Smith, but I would NOT be mad at MacDonald. Get him a good OC like Klint Kubiak from SF, and that's a solid staff. 

That’s actually a solid idea 

2 minutes ago, RVAskins said:

Gee, I wish we had a DC capable of game planning like that. What a novel idea.

We don’t. We also don’t have the players for it. We apparently also don’t have an offense that requires defenses to do any sort of sophisticated scheming beyond “just cover somebody and if you’re not covering somebody, find somebody to cover.” The cupboard is bare.

• Sad 1