Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 NFL Draft Position/Tracker - Final Pick #2

zCommander

15 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The net of that likely means pass on a QB or try our luck with the 2nd tier.   

I am ok with going for Caleb.  But I don't see this draft as Caleb or bust and I suspect he won't be available to be had.  If they skip on a QB in a trade down and that QB plays well they skip on -- i'd want that GM fired, I don't care who it is.    I am not going to forgive Herbet round 2 with another regime if it goes down like that. 

If the new GM wants to make a ballsy move and pass on a QB at their pick, cool, but that's an unforgiveable miss IMO if they are wrong.

Well all of that is hard to gauge right now. Trading back from #2 to #6 for example is worth a lot in draft pick value. Another first likely. However, do the top 3/4 QBs vanish by pick #6. The current assumption is yes. But there’s a ways to go yet.

However, I don’t contest we need to go QB as a priority. It’s how ballsy our FO are and how well they can play the game and still get their guy. 

4 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Well all of that is hard to gauge right now. Trading back from #2 to #6 for example is worth a lot in draft pick value. Another first likely. However, do the top 3/4 QBs vanish by pick #6. The current assumption is yes. But there’s a ways to go yet.

However, I don’t contest we need to go QB as a priority. It’s how ballsy our FO are and how well they can play the game and still get their guy. 

Teams tend to trade up for QBs so its hard IMO to trade down to #6 if a QB is in your sight unless you are convinced that a QB you love isn't loved by the rest of the league.

An example ironically would be Dan Snyder with Haskins.  Granted Dan is an idiot.  But lets say this was a GM instead who was smart with the same approach.  Dan thought Haskins (according to Keim) was the best player in the draft.  His scouts felt otherwise.  The buzz was Haskins was evaluated by other scouts around the league as a 2nd round talent.  Mock drafters liked him more. But lets say Dan was right and the buzz about that player was wrong.  Trade down.  He's likely there.  Add picks, and you get your guy. 

I think a prime version of that could be a guy like Penix.  Brugler among others have said the rap he gets talking to NFL FO's is that Penix is judged as a 2nd rounder around the league.  So lets say you trust that its indeed the league perception but you think the dude is special, then you can trade down and likely get the dude.

Ironically a version of this mindset has been part of this team's run.   Not in terms of trade downs but with a FO that's higher on certain QBs than league perception.   I recall the drafts well -- it was the case with Ramsey, Jason Campbell and Haskins where this FO or Dan was higher on the QB than other teams.

Obviously, they were wrong in all of those cases.  But we didn't have a competent FO to evaluate these guys.  I'd trust this FO to get it right.  If it was a Dan run FO thinking the league is wrong about this guy, we are right, I obviously wouldn't trust it but if its a new FO doing it, I'd trust it.

So for me trading down, would have to be a scenario like that.  A player that this FO loved and doesn't have that league universal love so he might fall.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Bacon said:

Injury history + age 24 when he starts in the NFL + an absolutely stacked WR corps

To me, he's clearly a round 1 talent though. And he's a winner. 

Harrison round 1

Penix  round  2

Left Tackle round 2

TE round 3

RT round 3

Anyone upset with this?

20 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I thinks what’s incredibly subjective at the minute is the QB rankings in this draft. Once that becomes a bit clearer, draft position and trade up/down scenario will become clearer.

Most definitely.

5 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Harrison round 1

Penix  round  2

Left Tackle round 2

TE round 3

RT round 3

Anyone upset with this?

Most definitely.

Seems  unlikely atm that Penix will last till round 2

21 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I thinks what’s incredibly subjective at the minute is the QB rankings in this draft. Once that becomes a bit clearer, draft position and trade up/down scenario will become clearer.

That's true.  More so in this draft than the typical draft it feels.  I think in part is it comes off more stacked in that first tier than usual. 

3 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Harrison round 1

Penix  round  2

Left Tackle round 2

TE round 3

RT round 3

Anyone upset with this?

Most definitely.

If Penix is opening some eyes some more I doubt he goes to the 2nd round.  Having said that, the rap on him going to the 2nd has been about his medicals.  Will see how that goes in the combine.  If the upshot is his medicals remains a concern and hence he falls to the 2nd then yes I'd have a problem with it in theory.  

In short, I don't want leftovers at QB when they have a shot at a main meal.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

In short, I don't want leftovers at QB when they have a shot at a main meal.

Yep, that is certainly key given where we are picking. And that’s why trading up, or at least seriously attempting to, has to be an option if the main meal is going to go #1 overall.

10 hours ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

Wait, does RG3 not count? Lol. He was a beast before blowing out his knee. Technically we went 10 - 6 in his rookie season. Does that count as a winning QB? 😂

No. He never won a playoff game and finished with a losing record as a starter.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

PFF guy, speaking of Penix, wow!

Screen Shot 2024-01-02 at 8.05.40 AM.png

Take the PFF out of it, this feels a little like recency bias. Which happens, and I have no problem with it unless the GM has it.  

Add the PFF into it, it feels a little bit like recency bias + Chris Collinsworth “look at me I’m the story” bias.  

I have no opinion one way or the other.

The one clip I watched with this guy he seemed to be moderately knowledgeable and pushed back on the other PFF guys tinfoil hat theory about Sean Peyton being cursed by the Gods or something. 

33 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I saw where NO over Atlanta is key, but wouldn't a NE win over the Jets solidify the 2 spot without any other results having to go our way?

A loss by us and a win by the Pats locks in the #2 pick.   No other 4-13 team can jump our SOS advantage. 

However, the Pats are not good and very likely lose to the Jets.  Especially if Bill is coming back. He’s not an idiot and will want to get as good a pick as possible. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

A loss by us and a win by the Pats locks in the #2 pick.   No other 4-13 team can jump our SOS advantage. 

However, the Pats are not good and very likely lose to the Jets.  Especially if Bill is coming back. He’s not an idiot and will want to get as good a pick as possible. 

Well, with a win, by my calculations after reviewing the standings on Tankathon, the NYJ would fall from pick 8 to pick 12 if they beat the Pats so they have very good reasons to lose too. We could be looking at a 3-3 tie which works for us. 

12 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Imagine instead of just good QB play, we had a great QB where we became one of those teams that's almost always in the playoffs and can actually win a game in the postseason?  It may seem like a pipe dream that other teams enjoy and it isn't meant for us.

I can't stress how hard this feeling is to shake.  I'm glad that the new regime will be operating without it, but it's gonna color whatever we do from a fan perspective.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Skins199021 said:

Even before last night 

Penix to me looks and seems way better than Maye. And against better competition 

that doesn’t mean I take him two but definitely makes me not want Maye at 2 

I haven't studied the QB's, but the consensus is Maye is a good deal ahead of Penix.    Penix is a sixth year player and is 3 years and 3.5 months older than Maye.  3 years ago when Penix was Maye's age he was having a very good season with Indiana, but the next year he regressed a ton going from a 136 QB college rating to a 101 rating.  The other thing about Penix is I do think Washington has good x's and o's playcalling.  I don't think that is necessarily true at UNC.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If Penix is opening some eyes some more I doubt he goes to the 2nd round.  Having said that, the rap on him going to the 2nd has been about his medicals. 

How good do you think he is?

Just curious where you think he'd go if injuries were of no concern at all, would he be in serious contention for number 1?

27 minutes ago, philibusters said:

I haven't studied the QB's, but the consensus is Maye is a good deal ahead of Penix.    Penix is a sixth year player and is 3 years and 3.5 months older than Maye.  3 years ago when Penix was Maye's age he was having a very good season with Indiana, but the next year he regressed a ton going from a 136 QB college rating to a 101 rating.  The other thing about Penix is I do think Washington has good x's and o's playcalling.  I don't think that is necessarily true at UNC.

This is getting skewed a bit. He is 2 years and 3 months older than Maye. 

He had injuries (a concern to consider with him)

He had two seasons with over 250 pass attempts, his last two. Only 700 or less more attempts In his college career than Maye.

his body of work is essentially his last two years in Washington 

he is also doing way more to win his teams against tougher competition 

Mayes toughest 3 game skate of competition was Duke, Clemson, NC State

he went 1-2, 4 TDS and 4 ints, with a 56.4% completion % 

Just underwhelming 

• Like 1

Penix would be my choice. He just looks like a pro QB while the other guys look like college QB's. I like the way he commands the game, no pun intended. And the way he throws that deep ball. When was the last time we had a great deep ball thrower? Rypien in 91? 

So I would draft Penix and then be able to move back and get a tackle or TE and we are on our way. 

Drake Maye = Tribusky. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Skins199021 said:

He had injuries (a concern to consider with him)

He had two seasons with over 250 pass attempts, his last two. Only 700 or less more attempts In his college career than Maye.

his body of work is essentially his last two years in Washington 

he is also doing way more to win his teams against tougher competition 

Mayes toughest 3 game skate of competition was Duke, Clemson, NC State

he went 1-2, 4 TDS and 4 ints, with a 56.4% completion % 

Just underwhelming 

I hate doing the Herbert comp cuz it seems a bit lazy, but his college career arc rings similar in that their last season before declaring for the draft were underwhelming to the point where I soured on Herbert completely. Very few will admit this, but this is a much more difficult class of QBs to scout than most are letting on.

16 minutes ago, Skins199021 said:

My bad on the age thing.   I was thinking it was 3 years and 3 months because this is Penix's 6th year and Maye's 3rd year, but Maye was 9 months older as a true freshman so the difference is only 2 years and 3 months.