Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 NFL Draft Position/Tracker - Final Pick #2

zCommander

1 minute ago, Chump Bailey said:

Agree. I've liked JJ's game for a while and he has wheels too. But, this position, as you know full well, is a byatch to get right :) My gut says JJ is a winner. I would in all likelihood stay and take Daniels but a trade down that could possibly enable us to walk away with JJ, Latham and AD Mitchell Texas WR in the 1st is also very appealing. 

Yeah, I think this would only happen if our front office approach is to accumulate picks and let the draft come to us. If we do not love Daniels and Maye and Caleb are off the board, I could see us trading back. The short-term plan would be to go with Howell + vet QB in 2024, but if a QB you like is available at a trade-down spot, then that changes things.

Do you swap picks with the Patriots and add a 2nd? Do you then get an offer at #4 from someone that really wants Marvin Harrison Jr.? Do you just keep trading back and accumulating picks, and then trade back up for McCarthy?

1 minute ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Do you swap picks with the Patriots and add a 2nd? Do you then get an offer at #4 from someone that really wants Marvin Harrison Jr.? Do you just keep trading back and accumulating picks, and then trade back up for McCarthy?

We're going to be gifted with a lot of good options it seems. Lets just hope we have the FO personnel in place to pull it off. 

• Thumb up 1

9 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

Agree. I've liked JJ's game for a while and he has wheels too. But, this position, as you know full well, is a byatch to get right :) My gut says JJ is a winner. I would in all likelihood stay and take Daniels but a trade down that could possibly enable us to walk away with JJ, Latham and AD Mitchell Texas WR in the 1st is also very appealing. 

I don't see how you can trade down and be sure you'd still get McCarthy. That's just a level of playing around you don't want to risk on that position. 

9 minutes ago, WEARE1554 said:

Problem is wasting a high pick on a QB

Wasting it?  how so?

9 minutes ago, WEARE1554 said:

when you can get a top LT that can anchor the line for some time is who will protect him. 

1 minute ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I don't see how you can trade down and be sure you'd still get McCarthy. That's just a level of playing around you don't want to risk on that position. 

Especially if it unfolds like this that the Giants among other needy QB teams are picking after us. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Assuming Josh hires a legit quality GM I don't see how they don't take a QB at #3 unless they just don't believe in who is there at #3.  A trade down scenario would make sense to me at that point.  If they somehow beat Dallas and are down at the #5/#6 spot I would think a OT would absolutely be in play at that point.

Counting the seconds till Ron along with everyone else (including Jason Wright) is gone.  Can't wait to hear our new GM get introduced followed by a coaching hire.  Can't wait to wash away this abortion of a season.

• Thumb up 1

7 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I agree - it's certainly a risky proposition especially when everyone knows you are looking at the position. 

https://www.hogshaven.com/2023/12/28/24017331/washington-commanders-tank-tracker-2023-week-17

The Commanders currently lead the Patriots by a razor thin margin of 0.518 to 0.522. That four thousandths lead could easily evaporate if just one game played by one of the teams’ opponents has an unexpected outcome. If having our pick of the offensive tackle prospects, having a shot at a top-2 QB, landing a generational talent like Marvin Harrison Jr, or holding a draft pick that other teams will mortgage their futures for matters to you, then the Pittsburgh Steelers and New Orleans Saints just became your favorite teams outside the DMV. A Steelers’ defeat of the Seahawks this week or a Saints’ defeat of Atlanta in Week 18 will make it very hard for the Patriots to reclaim the third spot.

The Commanders have done exceptionally well with their tank, and have benefitted from a lot of help from other teams. They have made it all the way up to third in the draft order, but have found themselves in a dogfight to stay there. There is still tanking to be done. It is by no means time to kick back and rest on their laurels.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Wasting it?  how so?

Especially if it unfolds like this that the Giants among other needy QB teams are picking after us. 

Wanting a sexy high pick QB is too risky in my opinion. Caleb Williams was good until he played a stout D. Jaylon Davis is fools gold he is good but wasting a 3 on him. Drake Moye is the same taller version of Howell. Take Olu on the first Bo Nix in the second but no QB to me is worth the 3rd pick. Also our roster is in need of so much upgrade build it up and take a vet QB or roll with Howell for another year or so. Keep JB another year or 2 he is only 33. 

• Haha 1
  • Thumb down 1

There is one upset this weekend that we have to be rooting hard for because it would virtually lock us into the #2 pick ... The Cardinals beating the Eagles. It's a major uphill battle, but that would have the effect of us basically locking in Pick #3 at as a floor, and the loss for the Eagles would make it virtually impossible for the Pats to overtake our SOS for #2.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 4

12 minutes ago, WEARE1554 said:

Wanting a sexy high pick QB is too risky in my opinion. Caleb Williams was good until he played a stout D. Jaylon Davis is fools gold he is good but wasting a 3 on him. Drake Moye is the same taller version of Howell. Take Olu on the first Bo Nix in the second but no QB to me is worth the 3rd pick. Also our roster is in need of so much upgrade build it up and take a vet QB or roll with Howell for another year or so. Keep JB another year or 2 he is only 33. 

Definitely on the draft Bo Nix bandwagon. I would stay at 3 and draft Marvin Harrison Jr. Or trade down , get a load of picks and draft Brock Bowers. Get Nix with one of our 2nd round pics. I'm not sold on the top two quarterbacks. Look at what Miller Moss did in his start Caleb Williams is not the guy in my eyes. 

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This is a big part of it too. This fanbase needs a freshly drafted face to cling to. A head of the franchise kind of guy. We are in position to do it. So do it now. And the bottom line is the NFL is an entertainment business. You want to sell tickets fans need to be entertained. It is time to draft a top QB.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

This is a big part of it too. This fanbase needs a freshly drafted face to cling to. A head of the franchise kind of guy. We are in position to do it. So do it now. And the bottom line is the NFL is an entertainment business. You want to sell tickets fans need to be entertained. It is time to draft a top QB.

Agreed. I am really curious to see how things shake out with this QB class. There's even some talk now that Caleb Williams may be under 6' and could slide out of #1. 

Williams reminds me a lot of Mahomes. I think he's absolutely worth the risk if he's there at #2 or #3, forget what the naysayers say. You have to take a risk on him.

And with some talk of Jayden Daniels rising up to possibly be the #1 QB in this class ... that seems crazy to me. But similar thing happened to Anthony Richardson last year. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

There is one upset this weekend that we have to be rooting hard for because it would virtually lock us into the #2 pick ... The Cardinals beating the Eagles. It's a major uphill battle, but that would have the effect of us basically locking in Pick #3 at as a floor, and the loss for the Eagles would make it virtually impossible for the Pats to overtake our SOS for #2.

It would certainly not make it "virtually impossible," in fact it would have virtually zero impact on the tiebreaker with NE. But it would be a great outcome. Moves us up to 2, help us in SOS vs Carolina (though I know that is an incredible long shot). It also ensures Dallas has something to play for in the finale.  

If anyone gets visited by a genie who lets you pick the outcome of my one football game the remainder of the season, pick that one. 

Edited by Rufus T Firefly
  • Like 1

@Rufus T Firefly you’re right. I forgot the Win for the Cards gives us 1-2 cumulative record since we played them. Patriots would go 0-1 with that result given they played Philly 1 time. But it’s a better result than 2-1 and 1-0 the other way. 

What it would do is lock us into #3 and give us a clearer path to #2. Both via SOS and the Patriots chances of beating the Jets in Week 18.

The only way we lock #2 is if the Pats beat the Bills and Cards beat the Eagles. The cumulative chances of that happening have got to be minuscule. But maybe the football gods continue to shine some draft luck light on this fan base 

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

39 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

If the Pats (Bills, Jets) go 1-1 and Cards (Eagles, Seahawks) win out and we go 1-1, we’d somehow still end up at #2, barely eeking out SOS over the Pats with pretty healthy SOS leads over the Giants Cards Titans and Chargers with 5 wins. That would be chaos 

Also, an entire Top 10 on offense. 4 WR, 3 OL, 3 QB 👀

I look at that and think, damn would ewe have the world by the balls if Howell had continued to show improvement instead of declined the past 5 or 6 weeks. The trade options would probably have been through the roof and could have built an incredible stable of players to go with our current picks.

Edited by DWinzit
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

So, we'd take the consensus (via nflmockdraftdatabase.com) 33rd prospect, at 4?

I understand the QB premium but there were lengthy "what is a reach?" discussions last draft...

1 hour ago, FlyBigBeard said:

Definitely on the draft Bo Nix bandwagon. I would stay at 3 and draft Marvin Harrison Jr. Or trade down , get a load of picks and draft Brock Bowers. Get Nix with one of our 2nd round pics. I'm not sold on the top two quarterbacks. Look at what Miller Moss did in his start Caleb Williams is not the guy in my eyes. 

Not me. Nix feels like Colt McCoy to me -- low tier starter, high end back up.  But I'll trust whatever the GM does-likes.  Speaking of which what if the GM disagrees about your takes on the top 3 QBs?  Would you ride and trust it?  Or slam them for it?

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

If the Pats (Bills, Jets) go 1-1 and Cards (Eagles, Seahawks) win out and we go 1-1, we’d somehow still end up at #2, barely eeking out SOS over the Pats with pretty healthy SOS leads over the Giants Cards Titans and Chargers with 5 wins. That would be chaos 

Also, an entire Top 10 on offense. 4 WR, 3 OL, 3 QB 👀

I don't see a lot of that mock being likely. 

For example, the Chargers really don't need a T. Would be bizarre for them to spend the 6th pick on it when there is so much else they could do besides take a LT and presumably make him RT. Bowers makes a ton of sense for them 

7 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I look at that and think, damn would ewe have the world by the balls if Howell had continued to show improvement instead of declined the past 5 or 6 weeks. The trade options would probably have been through the roof and could have built an incredible stable of players to go with our current picks.

•  
  •  

Yep. But if Howell had continued to progress we’d likely be in the 6-10 pick range. Not to mention, if he had continued to succeed and we lost, there’s still gonna be talk of going QB there because it’s a new FO. But yes, that pipe dream died quick. 

At least we have access to a QB where we sit now. Imagine Howell bombing out and winning 1-2 more games (Jets, Rams were both in range) and being around pick 10! Oye

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bifflog said:

So, we'd take the consensus (via nflmockdraftdatabase.com) 33rd prospect, at 4?

I understand the QB premium but there were lengthy "what is a reach?" discussions last draft...

I was really talking about the if of taking McCarty if we liked him that much. If so, you wouldn't trade out of a spot and hope he'd still be there several picks later.

But for him specifically, if he comes out I would expect him to go a lot higher than that. I don't consider that website's rankings to be all that compelling.