Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 NFL Draft Position/Tracker - Final Pick #2

zCommander

2 hours ago, The Consigliere said:

The Bengals have the best WR in the league and have been a super caliber team in no small part because of Burrow to Chase. They were nothing before Burrow to Chase, they will be something again. I think OL is critical too, but OL is the best position to hit through around pick 120 pretty consistently, and the FA class isn't horrible either. We need to be flexible:

Take the best player on the board that plays QB, OT, WR, DL, or Corner with any pick inside the top 10. I would drop DL and Corner simply because the franchise has ignored the offense entirely during this regime with top end assets other than the Dotson mega reach back in '22. 

But that's really the way to handle it. If you trade down, you can add Safety, and Guard as positions worth targeting. Do not consider LB, unless you're beyond the top 20, do not consider Center until late round 1/early round 2. 

The theory is the higher the pick the higher the chance at getting an elite player.  Some of these guys are supposed to be no-brainers, but if it was that simple we wouldn't be having this conversation.

On the one hand we do need elite players, but we need more good players as well.  Theres no rule that says only way we can get an elite player is to draft one, but filling out our roster with quality free agents is designed to be impossible in the free agent era.

To really rise the talent level of this team we have to draft well with multiple different picks.  If we know what we doing we will get the elite players where we need them.  But the constant rotation of choosing who to pay what they are worth and knowing we have someone on a cheaper contract that can head off a serious drop off is far more complicated.

I'd gladly pay an elite player their worth in free agency if we need them at that position. Drafting them merely puts that off until we have to pay them or someone else will.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, No Nonsense said:

With a lot of picks and $90M in cap space, I'm not sure we have to pick an offensive lineman with the 5th pick. 

We don't and should trade down.

This idea we have to draft an elite player with that pick is a myth in large part because of how much cap space we have and our QB on a rookie contract.

48 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Hypothetical: Would you rather have Jamar Chase and Cam Sample or Penei Sewell and Amon-Ra St. Brown?

Sewell and Amon-Ra. 

This team desperately needs a LT. Plus Sewell is Samoan. Them Polynesian Island guys are generally tough as all hell. Like the Wild Samoans or King Haku. 💪😆

• Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

We don't and should trade down.

This idea we have to draft an elite player with that pick is a myth in large part because of how much cap space we have and our QB on a rookie contract.

I dont think the logic is we need an elite player because we got a qb and a cheap qb. I'd say it's more on the premise we actually don't have any legitimately elite players and passing on the blue chips for more players has been our m.o. for the last 10 years. You do realize we haven't fielded a 1st team all pro in idk how long? Trent williams when he was with us was BY FAR the most elite player we have had since who..Sean Taylor? And even he didn't get all pro with us. He was also drafted top 5. I'm not saying that there isn't a chance a trade down, and a player could become all pro selected anywhere in the draft...I would agree. But we've past on the likes of olave, jj watt, and others to trade down. Take the legitimate best player and build the team and let the coaches develop the picks but give them players with the highest ceiling so we can really turn this thing around. Dotson is cool. Olave wa better. Kerrigan was cool...watt going to hof. We need game changers not mediocre players to field.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

8 minutes ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

I dont think the logic is we need an elite player because we got a qb and a cheap qb. I'd say it's more on the premise we actually don't have any legitimately elite players and passing on the blue chips for more players has been our m.o. for the last 10 years. You do realize we haven't fielded a 1st team all pro in idk how long? Trent williams when he was with us was BY FAR the most elite player we have had since who..Sean Taylor? And even he didn't get all pro with us. He was also drafted top 5. I'm not saying that there isn't a chance a trade down, and a player could become all pro selected anywhere in the draft...I would agree. But we've past on the likes of olave, jj watt, and others to trade down. Take the legitimate best player and build the team and let the coaches develop the picks but give them players with the highest ceiling so we can really turn this thing around. Dotson is cool. Olave wa better. Kerrigan was cool...watt going to hof. We need game changers not mediocre players to field.

We've drafted busts high as well, that's the true problem even when we get top 10 or top 5 picks. 

An improved scouting department will help increase odds of getting elite players outside the first and in the first round where we supposed to be getting them.

I may just be broken on these can't miss players, in the context we can only have so many elite players any way, and we need not only good players but depth as well.

Fixing the overall roster is a lot harder and bigger project then getting elite players.  Word on street is folks are taking us seriously again as a place to setup shop, so again the idea of just signing or trading for elite players shouldn't be out the question.  Drafting isn't only way to get them, and trading down gives us more ammo for trades.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Sewell and Amon-Ra. 

This team desperately needs a LT. Plus Sewell is Samoan. Them Polynesian Island guys are generally tough as all hell. Like the Wild Samoans or King Haku. 💪😆

Don't forget Manu Manu The Slender

image.png.38d1ae3c4a52896a27e02e2398548d87.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

41 minutes ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

You do realize we haven't fielded a 1st team all pro in idk how long? 

Three years ago actually. Brandon Scherff was named first Team All Pro in 2020. 

I get it tho. That's why I'm all in on trying to get Brock Bowers. Be sweet to get a top 5 pick and trade down with a qb hungry team n still draft him. Probably not possible but it's nice to think about.  🤣

Offense with Howell, Terry, Dotson, Robinson, n Bowers would be promising. Especially if the oline can be fixed by adding a proper nfl tackle or two. 

Edited by Captain Wiggles
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Bowers is no joke. I'm biased tho.

He's no joke at all.  Best TE prospect in eons.  Yes better than Kyle Pitts.    He does it all.  Some of his critics like to say he doesn't block well, they are wrong IMO, he's a good blocker.

Best YAC college TE I've ever watched.  Laporta was a good YAC guy in college but Bowers turns it into an art form.   Total stud.  Tone setter player.

15 minutes ago, Rocky21 said:

We really need the Jets and Bucs to win at least one more game because their strength of schedule is worse than ours.🤞

Buacs have an easy schedule including 2 more against the Panthers.  I am not worred about them.    the Jets have the Pats, Commanders, Falcons left.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1