Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: New York police will use drones to monitor backyard parties this weekend, spurring privacy concerns

Cooked Crack

Those attending outdoor parties or barbecues in New York City this weekend may notice an uninvited guest looming over their festivities: a police surveillance drone. 

The New York City police department plans to pilot the unmanned aircrafts in response to complaints about large gatherings, including private events, over Labor Day weekend, officials announced Thursday. 

“If a caller states there’s a large crowd, a large party in a backyard, we’re going to be utilizing our assets to go up and go check on the party,” Kaz Daughtry, the assistant NYPD Commissioner, said at a press conference.

“It’s a troubling announcement and it flies in the face of the POST Act,” said Daniel Schwarz, a privacy and technology strategist at the New York Civil Liberties Union, referring to a 2020 city law that requires the NYPD to disclose its surveillance tactics. “Deploying drones in this way is a sci-fi inspired scenario.” 

The move was announced during a security briefing focused on J’ouvert, an annual Caribbean festival marking the end of slavery that brings thousands of revelers and a heavy police presence to the streets of Brooklyn. Daughtry said the drones would respond to “non-priority and priority calls” beyond the parade route. 

Like many cities, New York is increasingly relying on drones for policing purposes. Data maintained by the city shows the police department has used drones for public safety or emergency purposes 124 times this year, up from just four times in all of 2022. They were spotted in the skies after a parking garage collapse earlier this year and when a giveaway event devolved into teenage mayhem.

Mayor Eric Adams, a former police captain, has said he wants to see police further embrace the “endless” potential of drones, citing Israel’s use of the technology as a blueprint after visiting the country last week. 

But as the technology proliferates, privacy advocates say regulations have not kept up, opening the door to intrusive surveillance that would be illegal if conducted by a human police officer. 

“One of the biggest concerns with the rush to roll out new forms of aerial surveillance is how few protections we have against seeing these cameras aimed at our backyards or even our bedrooms,” said Albert Fox Cahn, the executive director of the Surveillance Technology Oversight Project (STOP). 

The NYPD did not respond to an email seeking further information about its drone policies.

https://apnews.com/article/drones-labor-day-eric-adams-nypd-jouvert-c2787e87bcad8fa87aa8d34b454ee6cf

• Thumb down 4

It's one of the things that really bugs me, about our "system". 

A new technology comes out. 

And the police state immediately announces that hey, the Supreme Court has never ruled on whether we can use this. That means we can do whatever we want with it, any time, any place, no warrant or suspicion needed. 

As though our society's default position, until ruled otherwise, is "government can do anything unless forbidden". 

Silly me, I tend to believe that the 9th and 10th intentionality state that the default is the other way. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

This was my thought too, except bows and arrows. 

Now remembering what I think was the only good part of Independence Day.

"Police officials are asking Los Angeles residents not to fire their guns at the alien spacecraft because it might be misinterpreted."

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, CobraCommander said:

What, and I can not stress this enough, the ****?

Ima head up to NYC this weekend with a trunk full of water balloon catapults for sale. 

2 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

This was my thought too, except bows and arrows. 

same here except rifle/shotgun …

Well. I am personally aware that unfortunately shooting other peoples drones out of the sky is very much illegal. 

It’s how I learned your property and property rights only extend so many feet vertically into the air, and your neighbor can indeed park their drone over your back yard. 

• Sad 4

2 minutes ago, tshile said:

Well. I am personally aware that unfortunately shooting other peoples drones out of the sky is very much illegal. 

It’s how I learned your property and property rights only extend so many feet vertically into the air, and your neighbor can indeed park their drone over your back yard. 

Out in Clark County, paparazzi flew a drone over Robert Duvall’s property. Ole gramma lady shot that mother****er down. The police said, “I’ll allow it.” 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, tshile said:

That’s why I said “perfect CRIME”. Not “perfect totally acceptable thing to do.”

Also I’m pretty sure FAA has plenty of rules about flying drones, especially for civilians. You can’t just fly them Willy Nilly wherever you please. 

So how will one differentiate a police drone from a civilian drone? Are they going to be painted blue and white with a big NYPD a logo on them. 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

Also I’m pretty sure FAA has plenty of rules about flying drones, especially for civilians. You can’t just fly them Willy Nilly wherever you please. 

This was back when they first started being things people owned

and like the first thing they’d do is fly it around the neighborhood 

There’s a lot more rules and clarification. 

you bring up a good point about identifying them. If you wanted to fight it when it happens to you, how do you know it was the police. I don’t know what that areas like but where I live you see drones pretty often all over the place. 

some of these asshats bring it to their kids sports practice so we’re out there trying to get them to run drills and theyre all staring up at the sky. So obnoxious. I was very close to walking over and asking “hey, what part of what’s going on out here don’t you get?” But I think his wife sort of picked up on it and encouraged him to go somewhere else. Obnoxious people. 

9 minutes ago, tshile said:

This was back when they first started being things people owned

and like the first thing they’d do is fly it around the neighborhood 

There’s a lot more rules and clarification. 

you bring up a good point about identifying them. If you wanted to fight it when it happens to you, how do you know it was the police. I don’t know what that areas like but where I live you see drones pretty often all over the place. 

some of these asshats bring it to their kids sports practice so we’re out there trying to get them to run drills and theyre all staring up at the sky. So obnoxious. I was very close to walking over and asking “hey, what part of what’s going on out here don’t you get?” But I think his wife sort of picked up on it and encouraged him to go somewhere else. Obnoxious people. 

I’ve never seen one in DC. Im almost positive this is a no fly zone. 

• Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, tshile said:

Nothing wrong with flying your mini drone into their drones props “by accident”. Might even cost less than the bullets.

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, tshile said:

How many feet seems important here if someone where to hypothetically blow an NYPD drone out of the sky above their property. 

And I can well understand why it's in the public's interest for aircraft not to have to negotiate right of passage from every property owner they pass over.  

At least, for some purposes.  

I can see a much higher "public interest" in allowing a Life Flight helicopter to fly over somebody's house on their way to the hospital, than I can for a Cesna towing an advertisement for a personal injury lawyer.  

“If a caller states there’s a large crowd, a large party in a backyard, we’re going to be utilizing our assets to go up and go check on the party,” Kaz Daughtry, the assistant NYPD Commissioner, said at a press conference.

Do you want a knock-knock or a buzz-buzz?  

2 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

This also seems to be a serious 4th Amendment problem. If I’m in my private, fenced in backyard, then I have a reasonable expectation of privacy and the police would need a warrant to conduct a search. 

Do police need a warrant to investigate a loud party that is in violation of local ordnances?

6 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

Do you want a knock-knock or a buzz-buzz?  

Do police need a warrant to investigate a loud party that is in violation of local ordnances?

No. 

But what they're allowed to do, is to send an officer, and the officer can then assess the level of noise, as perceived by normal human senses, before setting foot on the property. 

What they do not have the authority to do, is to photograph every person in the back yard, looking to see if there are any other things they can charge people with. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1