Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

False optimism

1 minute ago, samy316 said:

No it won’t.  It will be the same story as last year.  Ron’s moves at O-Line didn’t do nearly enough to fully address the issues.  Wylie will not be what he was in KC.  Howell will be running for his life throughout the season.  We won’t even get to see his full potential, because Ron did such a crap job in FA & the Draft.

you do realize that each year we've been decimated by injury at OL each year?

14 minutes ago, MrJL said:

you do realize that each year we've been decimated by injury at OL each year?

Yes we have, but I’m telling you that this line is still below average, even at full strength.  If they’re going up against an above average D-Line, or a great D-Line, you see games like the Week 3 debacle at home against the Eagles, where they’re outmanned & overmatched. Not doing much to better the line or upgrade at TE will be this team’s downfall this upcoming season.

Edited by samy316
  • Like 1

On 5/26/2023 at 9:17 PM, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

Generally during the offseason, I get pretty excited about football. I talk myself into feeling optimistic about our team. I start dreaming of good qb play, fast starts, lots of wins, and playoff appearances. It basically always ends up being false optimism. Becomes pretty apparent after we start 1 - 4 or 2 - 5. This offseason however, feels different. I feel very pessimistic. I feel like we're staring down a 7 - 10 season. I don't know why really. I just feel like we're gonna suck 😫

Just seeing your thread... 

I eat too much pasta for dinner tonight and went into food coma. I had a dream where we needed a TD to get into the SB and we did. Zorn was the coach and Joey T. was there cheering as well. it was all weird and stuff but exciting at the same time as all of the fans were cheering and everyone was smiling and happy and giddy. 

I am little excited for this season. This season is going to be different since no Dan and all. 

Sam Howell is the guy (saying in Mr. Monk's voice). :)

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Frankly, any sort of season without Snyder already seems like a win.

But you're right. We've done close to nothing this offseason to better ourselves on the field.

Probably 8-9 after a slow start. Gotta go with the averages.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, samy316 said:

but I’m telling you that this line is still below average, even at full strength

On paper, yes, but every team in the league has units where they're relying on late round draft picks and free agents to develop.

There's no doubt tight end, offensive line and linebacker are our weak spots on paper but there are teams who have weak defensive lines, secondaries and wide receivers on paper because they've used their money and high draft picks on ol, te and LB and they're relying on development from later picks to bolster the rest.

We have young players like cosmi, Paul, stromberg, Charles, turner, Davis, barton etc in those weak position groups and we have no idea what another year of maturity and or a new system will do for them.

Have just a little patience and there's a chance you could be pleasantly surprised, and hey if you're right it's all gonna get blown up next year anyway so win, win.

• Like 1

I so desperately want to have some optimism heading into the season, but with our division being stacked with (Eagles, Cowboys) and the Giants who are behind the above mentioned but imho are better then we are, I just don’t really have much to go around, pretty sold on another 8-9 or at best 9-8 season and missing the playoffs again.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, El Mexican said:

Frankly, any sort of season without Snyder already seems like a win.

But you're right. We've done close to nothing this offseason to better ourselves on the field.

Probably 8-9 after a slow start. Gotta go with the averages.

8 wins? :ols:

Did you see the schedule?

7 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

Our defense is going to be insane. I’m very optimistic for the season. 

This defense has been flirting with greatness since Rivera and del rio took over but it's been wildly inconsistent for well documented reasons.

There's so many ifs but if the additions to the secondary pan out and learn fast and if chase can regain some of his form and if they stay healthy you're right this could be a very special defense. 

• Like 1

I feel optimistic about our team being improved and having a much better season even if it’s not necessarily equating to a much higher win total. 

The bar is so low at qb and center from last year and they have both been shored up from starters to depth. We look like we finally have a secondary that can compliment our d-line and as low as everyone is on our LB’s they will still be better than last year because Holcomb missed most of the season. 

We have a much friendlier and capable offensive system for all players. An emphasis on screens, 3 and 5 step drops instead of 7 step shot plays all the time. Nuanced details applied to plays that engineer easier reads and throwing lanes. An offense actually tailored to our players strength and weaknesses instead of this static plug and play bs. 

I also think our defense started slow these past seasons because our offense was so mediocre and easy to figure out. They are getting tested earlier and they will benefit from joint practice with the ravens. 

On 6/1/2023 at 9:37 PM, SkinsFTW said:

8 wins? :ols:

Did you see the schedule?

7 or 8 wins is my feeling as well. But big potential swing up or down from that depending on how we go at QB and O’line. How we go at O’line will have a big impact on how we go at QB.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, MartinC said:

7 or 8 wins is my feeling as well. But big potential swing up or down from that depending on how we go at QB and O’line. How we go at O’line will have a big impact on how we go at QB.

They seem to not care about the OL, just like LB the past few years.

4 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

They seem to not care about the OL, just like LB the past few years.

They cared about the OL. They addressed it immediately in FA , They also had it as their #1 priority in the daft, the picks early just didn't fall to them but a a couple other big wants did so they went that route.

The issue is didn't go at OL in an all out manner and went at it oddly, not going for any top talent at any position. More relying on inexperienced players and a sprinklings of new players with the ability to play multiple positions without being maters of one.

• Like 1

I think 7 wins is our ceiling and I say that optimistically. New OC, New QB, which is the golden ticket, but not year one and not with our Oline and stuff.

I think that's a good thing, as a tank year ultimately helps us.

Last year was infuriating for so many reasons. The QB being the worst. The Oline was tough to watch. Our LBers were tough to watch. Secondary at times as well.

If we can see good things happening more often than not. If we growth and not buffoonery than I'll really enjoy this season.

We're in a division with 3 of the best teams in the NFCE and we know that we're not in that class this year.

For years I've been full of optimistic what ifs, but that's run out. Maybe that's the magic of Harris. We don't need to cling to hope and fantasy any more.

7 is our soft spot. We are the Washington Commander Sevens. 7777777. 

7 baby all the time. 4 out of the last 6 seasons has given us 7 wins. One more time for the last season of a Snyder team.

Even though Harris is about to take over, this is a Snyder constructed team.

I think 7 is our floor baring critical injury while 12 is our ceiling. I am a bit torn because if EB is all that and Howell proves to at least be an average starter, it is somewhat likely we will have a new OC next year and not because we have a new HC.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Darth Tater said:

I think 7 is our floor baring critical injury while 12 is our ceiling. I am a bit torn because if EB is all that and Howell proves to at least be an average starter, it is somewhat likely we will have a new OC next year and not because we have a new HC.

6 is our floor and 9 is out ceiling if Ron coaches the entire season.

4 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

6 is our floor and 9 is out ceiling if Ron coaches the entire season.

So you're suggesting we could get ten or more wins but only if we fire our coach mid-season. 

Yeah that happens a lot in this league. 

9 hours ago, Darth Tater said:

There are a handful of posters who just piss on anything optimistic nowadays, don't let them damper your enthusiasm.

Our defense was 3rd overall last year and 1st on 3rd downs, we're already a great defense and with the additions to our secondary if they mature fast and with another year of growth from our young core this defense has the chance to be truly special. 

No reason to think 12 wins is impossible, that was London fletchers prediction for the year.

Edited by redskinss

54 minutes ago, redskinss said:

So you're suggesting we could get ten or more wins but only if we fire our coach mid-season. 

Yeah that happens a lot in this league. 

There are a handful of posters who just piss on anything optimistic nowadays, don't let them damper your enthusiasm.

Our defense was 3rd overall last year and 1st on 3rd downs, we're already a great defense and with the additions to our secondary if they mature fast and with another year of growth from our young core this defense has the chance to be truly special. 

No reason to think 12 wins is impossible, that was London fletchers prediction for the year.

No, I think he means that Ron is what he is, a mediocre coach.  He’s not a top tier coach, but he’s also not the worst.  We don’t have Cam Newton on this team last time I checked, so unless Sam Howell is at that level, or is a Top 10 QB next season, we’re not winning more than 9 games with Rivera as coach.  If he’s relegating coaching duties to EB, then I might change my mind about our outlook next season.  I don’t want Ron to have ANY input when it comes to the offense.  Keep him far away from the offensive play calling group.  Let Ron deal with the FO, at least until he’s fired.

We’re also not winning less than 6 games, because the defense is too good for us to fall into that Top 10 pick zone with 5 wins or less.  We could win 9, but since our O-Line is below average, and we didn’t do a damn thing to improve the TE group during the offseason (and now that Amani Rodgers is out indefinitely), we’re probably going to be in that 7 win range.  We have a team with a really high floor, but a very low ceiling.

Edited by samy316
  • Thumb up 1

20 minutes ago, samy316 said:

(and now that Amani Rodgers is out indefinitely), we’re probably going to be in that 7 win range

Ahh yes losing an undrafted tight end with 5 career receptions is always a big blow to the win column. 

If mitchell Tinsley goes down we'll have a shot at the number one pick.

• Thumb up 1

20 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Ahh yes losing an undrafted tight end with 5 career receptions is always a big blow to the win column. 

If mitchell Tinsley goes down we'll have a shot at the number one pick.

You laugh, but take a look at our TE room.  The only productive guy last year was Bates.  Rodgers was also productive during preseason, and the early part of last year.  Rodgers wasn’t Kelce or Kittle, but he at least showed some flashes, where other TE’s didn’t.  Now Rodgers is out for the year, and we have to rely on Bates, a complete unknown in Cole Turner, and an oft-injured, always unavailable Logan Thomas. Nice TE room.  Ron and the FO really went all out to make sure that our young QB has that security blanket TE that makes life easier for him!  Winning!!!!  /s.

Edited by samy316

Just now, samy316 said:

You laugh, but take a look at our TE room.  The only productive guy last year was Bates.  Rodgers was also productive.  Now Rodgers is out for the year, and we have to rely on Bates, a complete unknown in Cole Turner, and an oft-injured, always unavailable Logan Thomas. Nice TE room.  Ron and the FO really went all out to make sure that our young QB has that security blanket TE that makes life easier for him!  Winning!!!!  /s.

I'm not laughing at your opinion of the tight end room, that is valid.

We are no doubt weak at tight end on paper. 

I'm laughing at the fact that you feel 5 receptions for 62 yards is productive and losing that will cost us wins.

Armani Rogers is no more proven than any tight end on this roster.

There were hopes for him just as there are for many players across the roster but that's all they were is hopes.

12 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I'm not laughing at your opinion of the tight end room, that is valid.

We are no doubt weak at tight end on paper. 

I'm laughing at the fact that you feel 5 receptions for 62 yards is productive and losing that will cost us wins.

Armani Rogers is no more proven than any tight end on this roster.

There were hopes for him just as there are for many players across the roster but that's all they were is hopes.

And I’m telling you that relying on hope going into year 4 of coaching for Rivera is unacceptable.  They had plenty of chances the last two years to improve that TE room, but he sat on his hands and did virtually nothing.  For someone who’s been constantly touting this offseason about building around a young QB, and claiming to give him every chance to start and succeed, Rivera sure has a funny way of backing up his talk.  This is year 4 for Rivera.  He shouldn’t be “roster building” in year 4.  We should be a contender by now.  We should be in a position to compete for the NFC, or even the SB. We’re no closer to that, then we were after year 1.

Any other coach with his record after 3 seasons (22-27-1), would’ve been fired by now.  He’s extremely lucky to even be heading into year 4 as a coach.  Any normal functioning NFL franchise would’ve canned him by now.

Edited by samy316