Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

False optimism

2 minutes ago, samy316 said:

And I’m telling you that relying on hope going into year 4 of coaching for Rivera is unacceptable.  They had plenty of chances the last two years to improve that TE room, but he sat on his hands and did virtually nothing.  For someone who’s been constantly touting this offseason about building around a young QB, and claiming to give him every chance to start and succeed, Rivera sure has a funny way of backing up his talk.  This is year 4 for Rivera.  He shouldn’t be “roster building” in year 4.  We should be a contender by now.  We should be in a position to compete for the NFC, or even the SB.  We’re no closer to that, then we were after year 1.

I thought they should have cut the always dinged up Thomas and replaced him with vet. Seemed a no brainer with the salary CAP savings from the move. However, all reports were that the staff including EB liked and wanted Thomas. I like the potential with Bates and Cole and kept reading about Amani.

I really think they missed a great opportunity to draft TE in this past stacked TE class. It is said if Amani's loss is considered a big loss

1 hour ago, samy316 said:

No, I think he means that Ron is what he is, a mediocre coach.  He’s not a top tier coach, but he’s also not the worst.  We don’t have Cam Newton on this team last time I checked, so unless Sam Howell is at that level, or is a Top 10 QB next season, we’re not winning more than 9 games with Rivera as coach.  If he’s relegating coaching duties to EB, then I might change my mind about our outlook next season.  I don’t want Ron to have ANY input when it comes to the offense.  Keep him far away from the offensive play calling group.  Let Ron deal with the FO, at least until he’s fired.

We’re also not winning less than 6 games, because the defense is too good for us to fall into that Top 10 pick zone with 5 wins or less.  We could win 9, but since our O-Line is below average, and we didn’t do a damn thing to improve the TE group during the offseason (and now that Amani Rodgers is out indefinitely), we’re probably going to be in that 7 win range.  We have a team with a really high floor, but a very low ceiling.

If Ron gets fired during the season our ceiling doesn’t change but our floor could go below 6.

This team isn’t winning 10 or more games.  The only thing that could be different is the Giants finish last but they have a better coach.

4 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

If Ron gets fired during the season our ceiling doesn’t change but our floor could go below 6.

This team isn’t winning 10 or more games.  The only thing that could be different is the Giants finish last but they have a better coach.

You could be right about our floor, but I think the defense is too good for us to lose low scoring games.  It could happen, but if we hold opponents to 17 or less, we can stay competitive in those types of games, and win more of them than not.  If our defense regresses, or God-forbid sustains major injuries, then yes, our floor would come crashing down, because our offense isn’t talented enough to carry the team like the defense can.  This defense has a chance to be a Top 3 unit in the NFL next season.  I have the feeling that our defense will be the reason we get to our 9 win ceiling, NOT the offense.

7 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

This team isn’t winning 10 or more games

I love how you keep saying this with the confidence of predicting the sun will rise in the east but its only 2 more wins than we got last year. 

There's absolutely no reason not to think it's possible even though its not the more likely of the two scenarios. 

9 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I love how you keep saying this with the confidence of predicting the sun will rise in the east but its only 2 more wins than we got last year. 

There's absolutely no reason not to think it's possible even though its not the more likely of the two scenarios. 

I mean, it’s not necessarily said in confidence, but it’s more facts and evidence based.  We have a young QB, with a below average at best O-Line, and a really good defense on paper.   Chances are that we don’t win 10 games.  I don’t know why you seem incredulous that he would state that.  Until it happens, why would he or anyone predict 10+ wins?  Especially with THIS coach?  With this team, it’s always better to be pleasantly surprised, and keep low expectations, than it is to be bitterly disappointed when this team fails to meet your high expectations.  This is Redskins/Commanders fan logic rule #1.

Edited by samy316
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

17 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

I think the Giants are going to take the East. It's been 20 years (I think) since the East had a back to back champ. I'm definitely not picking the cowboys and it certainly won't be us.

5 minutes ago, redskinss said:

You are making this upcoming season feel like a certain QB we suffered through last year. 

I probably sounded a lot like you do in previous seasons. I was high on Fitz and through the roof over Wentz. 

It's like you've found this uneaten hot dog in the gutter and you're trying to convince us that once you wipe the hair and dirt off and dump a little beer on it, that it's a great hot dog.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I probably sounded a lot like you do in previous seasons. I was high on Fitz and through the roof over Wentz. 

It's like you've found this uneaten hot dog in the gutter and you're trying to convince us that once you wipe the hair and dirt off and dump a little beer on it, that it's a great hot dog.

haha

I did feel that way with Fitz. With Wentz I figured the bottom of the hot dog was filled with maggots so a throw away :ols:

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

It's like you've found this uneaten hot dog in the gutter and you're trying to convince us that once you wipe the hair and dirt off and dump a little beer on it, that it's a great hot dog

I'm not calling for an nfc east title.

I'm not calling for a superbowl run.

I'm a realist and I know what the likely scenarios are and I've said as much the whole way.

What I'm saying is that every year there are teams that surprise and we absolutely have a chance, let me say it one more time so it doesn't sound like a prediction, a Chance at being one of those teams.

It's not like we won 2 games last year.

There's almost no possible way our offense could be worse and if our defense lives up to expectations 10 wins is absolutely possible. 

At this point I'm done arguing about it though, we'll see what we'll see.

1 minute ago, redskinss said:

That joke sailed over your head.

No it didn't. Do you want me to talk about how good the eagles will be? They're trying to sign Hopkins and trade for Budha Baker right now. Dean is calling all the plays and Reddick is mentoring Nolan Smith as a pass rusher. Jordan Davis showed up to camp in the best shape of his life also. I think the Eagles are winning the superbowl this year. When they sign a player or bring a draftee in for the first time, half the team is in the building to welcome them. Everyone in their locker room loves playing football together. It's a night and day difference between our teams. They have Free Agents trying to get Howie to sign them. It's really fun to watch. Random players get together and put out better media than our FO does. 

Are you happy now? Maybe I'm down on this team now, because I don't have my head up only this teams ass and am following a few others now. 

But I think the Giants take the division. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Are you happy now? Maybe I'm down on this team now, because I don't have my head up only this teams ass and am following a few others now. 

I don't have my head up anyone's ass, I know what usually happens I've been here too, but this team isn't atrocious and I refuse to sit around here for 6 months all offseason being a masochist.

If that's all this team is going to be for me then what's the point.

5 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I don't have my head up anyone's ass, I know what usually happens I've been here too, but this team isn't atrocious and I refuse to sit around here for 6 months all offseason being a masochist.

Like I said the other day. I think we have a strong B+ roster, but it's tied to some anchors that will sink us.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I don't think anyone's saying that this team is atrocious.  This is a mediocre to average team.  They're not like the Cardinals, or the Texans, where you expect them to bottom out at 3-4 wins.  This is a team that can be a playoff team, if everything goes right.  We're just pointing out that our offseason wasn't up to par, and that there should be some real questions about the lack of movement and activity in certain positions.  Having a chance to win 9 games, and sneak into the wild card is realistic as far as expectations go.  I think people are being realistic to the teams expectations for once.  This team on paper has done nothing to suggest that they'll have a 11-12+ win season, based on its limitations.  That's all anyone is saying.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Like I said the other day. I think we have a strong B+ roster, but it's tied to some anchors that will sink us.

That's unfortunately probably true.

That said if all the ifs work out we certainly could at least be competitive enough to win ten games.

A lot of people myself included fessing up to being in on Fitz and Wentz, yet remain undeterred, and are now all in on Howell. It is the eternal optimism of every fan base this time of year. But I have to agree with the posts falling on the side of pessimistic realism. Sure us fans, and much of the local press, are enamored with Howell, but the rest of the country has us ranked in the bottom third of the league, if not dead last, at QB. Same for the O line where our ranking in the bottom third is pretty much unanimous. At the skill positions, we all like to think we’re pretty good there, but if you look around the league, we are middle of the pack. Last year, I was optimistic like many of you that Wentz could at least give us a mediocre QB play. Meanwhile, the rest of the country was mocking us and telling us that he is a complete train wreck. They were right. So I’m not going to be so quick to dismiss the national narrative this time. Our offense is simply not very good, and EB does not have a magic pill that’s going to replace the lack of talent. In the draft, we didn’t bother to address the situation until the very end of the third round. Not to mention how the NFL is hosing us right now by slow walking the approval of Harris. Hoping for the best, but I will be very surprised if they win more than 7 or 8 games. All good though, getting rid of Snyder is all I’m looking for for this year! Next year, I’ll probably be ready to jump back on the optimism train. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, woodpecker said:

Not to mention how the NFL is hosing us right now by slow walking the approval of Harris.

What does this have to do with anything?  There's a process, with 15+ people in the Harris group, it takes time to vet the finances.  Should be done by mid-summer I would bet.  We put up with Snyder's **** for 23 years.  Patience.  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, samy316 said:

And I’m telling you that relying on hope going into year 4 of coaching for Rivera is unacceptable.  They had plenty of chances the last two years to improve that TE room, but he sat on his hands and did virtually nothing.  For someone who’s been constantly touting this offseason about building around a young QB, and claiming to give him every chance to start and succeed, Rivera sure has a funny way of backing up his talk.  This is year 4 for Rivera.  He shouldn’t be “roster building” in year 4.  We should be a contender by now.  We should be in a position to compete for the NFC, or even the SB. We’re no closer to that, then we were after year 1.

Any other coach with his record after 3 seasons (22-27-1), would’ve been fired by now.  He’s extremely lucky to even be heading into year 4 as a coach.  Any normal functioning NFL franchise would’ve canned him by now.

Ron’s going to have a tough time convincing Josh to keep the Gm job. 

More than likely he’s gone not to long after the season ends.

If you want to think that good things will happen this year, good for you. 

Reality hasn’t been kind in the Rivera era and his appearance in 20, was only because Dallas and Philly collapsed that year.

8 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Ron’s last winning season was 2017.

Last year was basically.500..

Our only hope is that EB really takes this offense to another level.  Otherwise, I predict another mediocre season ahead.  Just good enough to be out of the running for any of the blue chip players (similar to the past two drafts).