Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

False optimism

Generally during the offseason, I get pretty excited about football. I talk myself into feeling optimistic about our team. I start dreaming of good qb play, fast starts, lots of wins, and playoff appearances. It basically always ends up being false optimism. Becomes pretty apparent after we start 1 - 4 or 2 - 5. This offseason however, feels different. I feel very pessimistic. I feel like we're staring down a 7 - 10 season. I don't know why really. I just feel like we're gonna suck 😫

32 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Just wait when the new owner has his people in place and we have that franchise qb.

Already do, Sam howell is the next tom brady and I heard Josh Harris was the one who told Snyder to hire Rivera 3 years ago so that he'd have his people in place very early.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

Generally during the offseason, I get pretty excited about football. I talk myself into feeling optimistic about our team. I start dreaming of good qb play, fast starts, lots of wins, and playoff appearances. It basically always ends up being false optimism. Becomes pretty apparent after we start 1 - 4 or 2 - 5. This offseason however, feels different. I feel very pessimistic. I feel like we're staring down a 7 - 10 season. I don't know why really. I just feel like we're gonna suck 😫

I'm not all the way there yet, but I do think that this offseason was throughly underwhelming, and that the one position of need we need to attack (O-Line), we only kind of, sort of addressed in an underwhelming (seems like I really like that word) way.  I'm envisioning more scenarios in my head of a 2-6 start, where Ron is fired by Week 8, and Sam Howell is one of, if not the most sacked QB's in the league than I am of us getting off to a winning start.  At this point, I would be more shocked if we were 4-4 or better after 8 games, than I am if we were 2-6 or 1-7.

One final thing I will say, is that Week 1 will be very important to how I feel the season will go.  The Cardinals will be our easiest opponent on paper BY FAR this year.  No Kyler Murray, and now no DeAndre Hopkins, means that this has to be a win.  I'm going so far as to say that this needs to be a convincing win.  If we win this game by a hair, or we straight up lose this game, that will set the tone for the season, and we will be on "Fire Ron Watch" starting Week 2.

Edited by samy316
  • Like 2

The beauty of this season is that we will know after week 1. Arizona is widely considered the top team to get the #1 pick in 2024. If we lose to them in week 1 then we have position for that pick! As long as we pace the Cardinals in wins we will get our franchise QB...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, redskinss said:

Already do, Sam howell is the next tom brady and I heard Josh Harris was the one who told Snyder to hire Rivera 3 years ago so that he'd have his people in place very early.

Bull.

It’s rare for qbs to be successful in there first season of starting.  Even many HOF qbs have had tough rookie years.

Of course there are exceptions. 

Tom Brady takes over for an injured Drew Bledsoe in his 2nd season and leads Pats to a SuperBowl win and the legend is born.

Big Ben takes over early in his rookie season and goes 13-0, leading Steelers to a 15-1 record and AFC championship game.

Rookie Russell Wilson looks great in camp and wins the job over the qb the Seahawks had signed to a big contract. He wins a playoff game over RG3.

Sam Howell is none of those qbs and this team isn’t set up to be good as any of those teams and Ron Rivera isn’t in the same class as Bellichek, Cower or Carroll.

Edited by 88Comrade2000
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

A lot rides on Sam Howell and luck.   I am really hoping that Howell is at least a mid level QB this year for us.  Then there is luck.  That can swing a season 3 games in a direction (see the Vikings and Giants last year).  If we go 5-2 in 50-50 games, 10-7 would not be a surprise.  If we 2-5 in 50-50 then a 6-11 type season would not be a surprise.  The defensive roster is good.  Borderline top 5 in the NFL, but in 2023, offense is more important in the NFL and our offensive roster is maybe slightly below average, like in the 20 range.  Thus we should not be terrible, but probably not a true contender either.  Exactly how good Howell is and our luck in close games will determine how enjoyable the season is.

Edited by philibusters
  • Like 1

One thing about this season for me, it’s just meh to me as we transition from one owner to the next.

If Sam turns out to be an nfl capable qb, then great. He really only gets one shot to prove it here. He has to lead this team to a playoff appearance. He does that and then the team can just fill the other holes. 

If he doesn’t do that, then next year Harris likely moves up to get a qb.

So, this year if anything good actually happens it’s a bonus.

I’m excited about next year because Harris will have his people in place. I think the only way Ron returns is a playoff win, not just making the playoffs. I also think if Ron returns, he will just be finishing his final year of his contract.

13 hours ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

i am optimistic just for the sheer fact we aren't likely going into the season with an old, retread quarterback and giving a young qb a chance (alex smith, case keenum, fitzpatrick, carson wentz). he might be a low round draft pick, but my guy tells me he's going to be better than dwayne.

• Like 1

Your pessimism is probably warranted.  Rivera has proven to be a mediocre coach.  An untested QB.  Issues with the oline.  A tough schedule in maybe the best division in the league.

But who cares?  Synder will be gone.  The games will be more enjoyable - even if they finish 0-17.  The food will taste better.  The beers will be more refreshing.   

It's our honeymoon period! 

Will the Skins win a SB during the remainder of my lifetime? I would say probably.

Will it personally be as exciting to me, even with Snyder out of the picture, as the one in Pasadena when Riggo rumbled 41 yards for a TD? No.

Will the Skins ever enjoy dominance again in my life like they did from 1982-1991 under Gibbs? Very remote.

That's how I keep my expectations in check.

4 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

One thing about this season for me, it’s just meh to me as we transition from one owner to the next.

If Sam turns out to be an nfl capable qb, then great. He really only gets one shot to prove it here.

For you to call somebody else’s take “bull” is rich. 😆

If Sam plays well and shows upside he can very well be around next year. This only one shot stuff is…bull.

1 hour ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

For you to call somebody else’s take “bull” is rich. 😆

If Sam plays well and shows upside he can very well be around next year. This only one shot stuff is…bull.

A non playoff season and the new owner, gm and coach look for someone else at 
QB.  They aren't tied to a qb they didn't draft/sign as free agent.  They will want to bring in their own QB.   For them to not to do that, then Sam has to overperform and take this team to the playoffs.   So, Sam really only has one year here.  He might be on the roster as a backup and start until the rookie QB is ready but the focus will be on the new qb they are getting, not Sam.

Odds are small, the Sams Club is right.

7 minutes ago, NeverSurrender said:

Idk man, this roster is pretty talented across the board. This team can make some noise if things come together.

The O-Line will torpedo that hope though.  We do have a talented team, but I fear Howell running for his life, and getting sacked repeatedly, because of Ron’s malpractice towards improving this unit.

Edited by samy316
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

I am always cautiously optimistic when it comes to this team and am the same for the other sports teams I follow. I do think we have a very good QB in Howell if OL protects them decently enough, and like what I am seeing from EB so far. May be in the minority, but really liked our draft also.

As an above poster said, regardless if we make the playoffs or imo even reach the 9 game winning mark, Snyder being gone(It will get done) will get me through whatever this season brings and feel good about the future.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Sam Howell is none of those qbs and this team isn’t set up to be good as any of those teams and Ron Rivera isn’t in the same class as Bellichek, Cower or Carroll.

None of those QBs weee thought of as even starters until they were and then they surprised everybody. 

If anybody knew how good Brady was going to be, he wouldn’t have lasted until the 6th round.  And he didn’t even beat out Bledsoe in camp the year he took over.

You just never know.  

The odds are against ANY QB actually succeeding.  But you never know.

also, going into that Pats first SB season, Belichick had an ok run and been fired by the browns (3 losing seasons, and an 11-5 season) and a first season with the pats of 5-11.  He wasn’t Bill Belichick yet.  Same with Carrol.  

You just never know. 

Edited by Voice_of_Reason

2 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

I'm optimistic because we can finally upgrade the practice facilities. Sorry for Rogers but hopefully he's the last one. 

The ownership change probably doesn’t happen until the season starts.

I guess they can do something quick for this season but it’s better to wait until the 24 offseason when they can do it right.

23 will be heavy on observation. See what is working and what needs improvement and then make adjustments in 24 and also aids them in planning for that future stadium and practice facility.

16 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Bull.

It’s rare for qbs to be successful in there first season of starting.  Even many HOF qbs have had tough rookie years.

Of course there are exceptions. 

Tom Brady takes over for an injured Drew Bledsoe in his 2nd season and leads Pats to a SuperBowl win and the legend is born.

Big Ben takes over early in his rookie season and goes 13-0, leading Steelers to a 15-1 record and AFC championship game.

Rookie Russell Wilson looks great in camp and wins the job over the qb the Seahawks had signed to a big contract. He wins a playoff game over RG3.

I'm going to give you credit for replying I thank you for that, it shows progress. 

Where you lose points is in your ability to detect sarcasm. 

• Haha 1

On 5/27/2023 at 5:47 PM, samy316 said:

The O-Line will torpedo that hope though.  We do have a talented team, but I fear Howell running for his life, and getting sacked repeatedly, because of Ron’s malpractice towards improving this unit.

While our Oline isn't stacked by any means.  I do think they will be better then last year.  Couple that with Howells mobility and the EB quick game and I think we will be ok.  

2 hours ago, NeverSurrender said:

While our Oline isn't stacked by any means.  I do think they will be better then last year.  Couple that with Howells mobility and the EB quick game and I think we will be ok.  

No it won’t.  It will be the same story as last year.  Ron’s moves at O-Line didn’t do nearly enough to fully address the issues.  Wylie will not be what he was in KC.  Gates will be adequate, but not the solution at his position.  Howell will be running for his life throughout the season.  We won’t even get to see his full potential, because Ron did such a crap job in FA & the Draft.  You actually think that this line will be able to handle the beastly D-Lines in the Cowboys & Eagles, not to mention the 49ers and Jets?  That’s a nightmare waiting to happen.

By the way, that doesn’t even address his absolute neglect at upgrading the TE position, which is very important for a young QB with 1 start so far in the NFL.

Edited by samy316
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1