Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

False optimism

26 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Ron’s last winning season was 2017.

Last year was basically.500..

DAMN, I didn't think it was that long ago since he had a winning season.  It totally makes sense though, because that's right around the end of Cam Newton's peak in the NFL.  Cam started getting injured, and started missing tons of games right around 2018.  Ron really is the new Jeff Fisher.  A well-liked coach in the media and NFL circles, who is living off of his lone SB appearance in which he lost.  Just like Fisher, he's the new Mr. 7-9 (or 10) now.

Edited by samy316
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, samy316 said:

DAMN, I didn't think it was that long ago since he had a winning season.  It totally makes sense though, because that's right around the end of Cam Newton's peak in the NFL.  Cam started getting injured, and started missing tons of games right around 2018.  Ron really is the new Jeff Fisher.  A well-liked coach in the media and NFL circles, who is living off of his lone SB appearance in which he lost.  Just like Fisher, he's the new Mr. 7-9 (or 10) now.

Rons job was to make us a respectable destination and repair the criminally delipidated cesspool that Dan created. Now we're an almost .500 team that can win some tough ones and guys like to play here. He's brought in a lot of solid young players to build off for the next coach.

But yeah, hasn't had a winning season since 17 and has been fired the same amount of times he's made the playoffs. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Rons job was to make us a respectable destination and repair the criminally delipidated cesspool that Dan created. Now we're an almost .500 team that can win some tough ones and guys like to play here. He's brought in a lot of solid young players to build off for the next coach.

But yeah, hasn't had a winning season since 17 and has been fired the same amount of times he's made the playoffs. 

Actually, Ron made the playoffs 5 times. 3 winning seasons and 2 losing seasons.

5 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Actually, Ron made the playoffs 5 times. 3 winning seasons and 2 losing seasons.

Since 2017 like I said? That's wild that either you are wrong or the entire internet.

Wait, did I just somehow get you to defend Rivera and talk him up? I deserve some kind of badge or award or something.

Amazing!

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Since 2017 like I said? That's wild that either you are wrong or the entire internet.

Wait, did I just somehow get you to defend Rivera and talk him up? I deserve some kind of badge or award or something.

Amazing!

I was talking overall for his entire career and not just his lone appearance with us.

If we are just talking about since 2017, only one appearance as once then and no winning seasons.

Ron’s living off the 4 playoff appearances and 3 winning seasons he had in Carolina.

Edited by 88Comrade2000
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

On 6/5/2023 at 6:27 AM, redskinss said:

There are a handful of posters who just piss on anything optimistic nowadays, don't let them damper your enthusiasm.

Our defense was 3rd overall last year and 1st on 3rd downs, we're already a great defense and with the additions to our secondary if they mature fast and with another year of growth from our young core this defense has the chance to be truly special. 

No reason to think 12 wins is impossible, that was London fletchers prediction for the year.

On the floor, its not optimism, its realism. Our defense is top of the line and alone would probably get up to 7Ws even if our offense doesn't improve. Howell/Brissett are almost certainly at least the equal of Wentz/Heinicke. Not assuming any bad luck (like critical injury), cannot see how you could expect any less than 7 (1.5 games worse than 2022) unless you are not a realist though maybe one could argue the assumption of no critical injury (sort of funny and sad that in 2022 what was most likely the most critical injury, Wentz, turned out to be the reason that we were still technically in the race in week 17).

On the ceiling, that can be called optimistic.  Assumes that Howell/Brissett are at least good at game management. Assumes that we have upgraded OC significantly. Assumes that Forbes is at least half of what we think he is and other changes make the defense able to at least get in the top 20 in terms of TOs. Assumes that we fix the return spot, at least to above average. We don't lose games we should have won.

In any case, here is how I see it. 7 games we should win (should, not will), 5 we should lose and 5 toss-ups.

• Like 1

I think the argument for optimism in the context of:  A.  they are better than last year.  B.  They won 8 games last year.  So how can they be worse?  I get it, I made that argument at the start of the off season.

I don't feel the same way anymore because of three reasons.

A.  the other teams IMO in the NFC East had stronger off seasons.  I'd put money that we will be predicted by just about everyone to finish last. 

B.  Much tougher schedule on paper compared to last year.

C.  IMO Ron left the exact same hole on the boat that we had last year -- where it seems almost inevitable that the ship will sink again.  I am shocked by that and its not something I expected at the start of the off season considering all the rhetoric about how all hands are on deck to fix it. 

With all of that, I think i am still more optimisitc than Vegas, the anayltics outfits, national media, etc who expect us to be drafting somewhere between 5-8 next year. 

Personally, i think Ron has another 8-9 season in him.  Similar ride where they tease for a spell for a playoff spot but end up short.  And we pick next draft where we typically do, somewhere between 13-16.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Darth Tater said:

On the floor, its not optimism, its realism. Our defense is top of the line and alone would probably get up to 7Ws even if our offense doesn't improve. Howell/Brissett are almost certainly at least the equal of Wentz/Heinicke. Not assuming any bad luck (like critical injury), cannot see how you could expect any less than 7 (1.5 games worse than 2022) unless you are not a realist though maybe one could argue the assumption of no critical injury (sort of funny and sad that in 2022 what was most likely the most critical injury, Wentz, turned out to be the reason that we were still technically in the race in week 17).

On the ceiling, that can be called optimistic.  Assumes that Howell/Brissett are at least good at game management. Assumes that we have upgraded OC significantly. Assumes that Forbes is at least half of what we think he is and other changes make the defense able to at least get in the top 20 in terms of TOs. Assumes that we fix the return spot, at least to above average. We don't lose games we should have won.

In any case, here is how I see it. 7 games we should win (should, not will), 5 we should lose and 5 toss-ups.

This is pretty spot on to me too.

My intention was not to criticize people who are being realistic but to point out two things.

One, even being realistic there's a chance we could significantly exceed those expectations especially with the elite defense and all the unknowns so it's ok to be a little Homerish because there's a reasonable chance it could happen. 

And two, there really are a handful of people that just will not allow you to be optimistic and just ignore it if they disagree.

They must give you their opinion based off statistical analysis anytime you stray from the status quo.

• Like 2