Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Offseason Mini Camp, OTA’s, Training Camp Discussion Thread: Hallelujah, Josh Harris & Co. Era Edition

Conn

Listened to Mike Jones who watched the practice today,  His observation will shock most here, especially @Koolblue13....

In short, he was intrigued by Howell, he has Kirk Cousins type vibes about him as to ability.

He thought the O line made it difficult for Howell in practice today where he characterized it where one play had good protection but then the next did not.  On and off.  And you can see the difference when the Ravens ran their offense. 

He thinks, shockingly :ols: the O line will be the reason why this team isn't a threat in this division this season.

He was impressed by this team's defense

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Listened to Mike Jones who watched the practice today,  His observation will shock most here, especially @Koolblue13....

In short, he was intrigued by Howell, he has Kirk Cousins type vibes about him as to ability.

He thought the O line made it difficult for Howell in practice today where he characterized it where one play had good protection but then the next did not.  On and off.  And you can see the difference when the Ravens ran their offense. 

He thinks, shockingly :ols: the O line will be the reason why this team isn't a threat in this division this season.

He was impressed by this team's defense

From the bits I watched:

-Our OL still stinks. First, thirds, etc. I saw Fromm catch a snap and immediately have a Raven in his lap. While Fromm isn’t good, this was an A-gap free rusher. Absolutely wild. Howell was on skates as well. Didn’t see any really stand out positives from the first line today.

-Dotson is smooth.

-Gibson, with a more limited pitch count, really shows his speed and power. 

-Forbes looked great all things considered. Fuller didn’t. Curl is a top safety in the game and you can’t tell me otherwise. 

-Our linebackers struggle in space.

-We don’t do a great job setting an edge but Allen and Payne are monsters at breaking the interior of the pocket. That edge is going to be a major issue down the road for us. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

I saw a clip of Jamin Davis in coverage. It was ugly. I honestly don't know what he was doing or thinking on that rep.

Are we asking too much of the OL? Beatwriters seem to either have lower standards for success, or the bar we're setting is too high at "dominance" and not simply "good enough."

Look, from what I have personally watched if the bar is set any lower it’ll be on the ground.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It gets boring to repeat different versions of that same song over and over again from new and different sources at times.  So I need to liven it up.   

I didn't see/hear about any high snaps from Gates today.

That had me terrified but for over a week he seems to have it under control.

I don't think I need to worry about it anymore the way I have been.

1 minute ago, FootballZombie said:

I didn't see/hear about any high snaps from Gates today.

That had me terrified but for over a week he seems to have it under control.

I don't think I need to worry about it anymore the way I have been.

Heard of a low one recently but once in awhile stuff happens to everyone so I assume he's settled down with the snaps

• Like 1

Both JP and Mitch, who were there, thought the Oline held their own vs the Ravens dline.  

Even pointed out Charles for his performance saying they see why the coaches have him as the number 1 left guard, wasn't perfect but did well.

Both thought we were the tougher team and were encouraged by what they saw from the whole team.  Perspective. Patience. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Both JP and Mitch, who were there, thought the Oline held their own vs the Ravens dline.  

Even pointed out Charles for his performance saying they see why the coaches have him as the number 1 left guard, wasn't perfect but did well.

Both thought we were the tougher team and were encouraged by what they saw from the whole team.  Perspective. Patience. 

I’ll buy it when I see it. Until then… I am not encouraged.

• Haha 1
  • Thumb down 1

These conclusion some are coming to, was there a different broadcast that showed a lot of Washington offensive snaps? 

I only skimmed through the Ravens, from what I got exposed to, there wasn’t much to go off of. 

1 minute ago, wit33 said:

These conclusion some are coming to, was there a different broadcast that showed a lot of Washington offensive snaps? 

I only skimmed through the Ravens, from what I got exposed to, there wasn’t much to go off of. 

Reporters who were there had the full view.    Mike Jones for example was there.  Ditto Finlay though Finlay was running his 106.7 show at the same time.

11 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Perspective. Patience. 

Perspective is about what is the aggregate narrative about this unit during camp and the reputation of these players.  The perspective isn't hot when you pour that all into the soup.  For example Finlay and Tishler who you cited on a positive note are globally concerned about the O line and have blasted it repeatedly.    

But I get the patience angle.  There is time for the unit to come together.

5 minutes ago, wit33 said:

There wasn’t much. Which is why watching them get lambasted was more discouraging than encouraging. 

People can thumbs down me or laugh all they want… but I trust my eyes more than I trust media’s words.

I don’t think the line is doomed to worst in the League status or anything. It can improve. I just haven’t seen it yet. We’ll see.

The O-line will get better as it gets time to gel, they all do. Plus they don't really have anywhere to go but up.

The real problem is what they are facing is vanilla and straightforward. D's are gonna start disguising their rush soon. We saw a glimpse of that on one of the few plays we saw of our O in that joint session where the Raven's D ran a stunt and Charles... well... he hit a Ctl-Alt-Del reboot sequence b4 responding to it.

This line has a long way to go on just the easy stuff and now opposing Ds are gonna start game-planning a little.

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

The O-line will get better as it gets time to gel, they all do. Plus they don't really have anywhere to go but up.

The real problem is what they are facing is vanilla and straightforward. D's are gonna start disguising their rush soon. We saw a glimpse of that on one of the few plays we saw of our O in that joint session where the Raven's D ran a stunt and Charles... well... he hit a Ctl-Alt-Del reboot sequence b4 responding to it.

This line has a long way to go on just the easy stuff and now opposing Ds are gonna start game-planning a little.

The Browns gave them issues without Garrett.   The Ravens as some pointed out don't have much of a pass rush.  Mike Jones thought they struggled with it regardless.  Finlay apparently didn't think so.

For me, i don't like how this O line looks on paper so I heavily lean on the skeptical side where i'd expect this unit to struggle.  So for me to buy into the unit, it will take some consistent sunshine narrative. 

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Perspective is about what is the aggregate narrative about this unit during camp and the reputation of these players.  The perspective isn't hot when you pour that all into the soup.  For example Finlay and Tishler who you cited on a positive note are globally concerned about the O line and have blasted it repeatedly.    

But I get the patience angle.  There is time for the unit to come together.

There is time for them to come together? Well that's good to hear. 

• Haha 1

Keim's latest podcast, pre today's practice.  Nothing major.

Stromberg looking good in bis reps, smart, sees stunts well, etc.   They want him to know how to play guard so he can play in a pinch.  Keim says they just want him to beef up some and get physically stronger

Paul more up and down, is strong, struggled at times with stunts

They are trying to work on Wylie's footwork, he tends to overset his feet which good D lineman exploit. 

He thinks the competition for the last spot on edge between Andre Jones and KJ Henry will be interesting

He repeated they want Charles to win the LG job

The secondary heavily disgusies coverage in practice but they didn't show that as much in the preseason game.  Keim thinks they (its a preseason thing for most teams) don't want to showcase some of their more interesting things before the season.

7 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

There is time for them to come together? Well that's good to hear. 

giphy.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

All true, I have no illusions this line will be special or even good for that matter I just don't think it's necessarily going to sink our season, that is what I'm trying to be patient with.

If the line stays healthy and gels they'll have plenty of reps they'll win as well as lose, we have more weapons this year and current weapons have more experience, we have a new playcaller with championship level experience and a new quarterback who has looked pretty sharp so far.

Even if the offensive line struggles (which they probably will) like last year, we could overcome that to be a mid level offense.

That coupled with what we expect to be an improved defense could make this team pretty competitive. 

If we had superbowl aspirations this line would sink our season there's not much doubt about that but we could be more competitive than expected even with a bad line, as you said the bar is so low there's not much of anywhere to go but up. 

Edited by redskinss

6 minutes ago, redskinss said:

All true, I have no illusions this line will be special or even good for that matter I just don't think it's necessarily going to sink our season, that is what I'm trying to be patient with.

If the line stays healthy and gels they'll have plenty of reps they'll win as well as lose, we have more weapons this year and current weapons have more experience, we have a new playcaller with championship level experience and a new quarterback who has looked pretty sharp so far.

I don't think it will sink our season either.  I think it will sink their playoff hopes though.

I like Howell but IMO we need to be patient with him.  We all agree of course he's going to have ups and downs.  And I think it puts a lot on his plate to likely deal with a bad unit protecting him.

But I do think even with him learning this season, he will be better than Heinicke and Wentz.   Some who watch Howell in camp like to compare his ability wise to Kirk albiet their styles are different.  Kirk took a bit to get consistent and he had a pretty good offensive line. 

29 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Kirk took a bit to get consistent and he had a pretty good offensive line. 

Kirk was unspectacular in 2014, and the line was pretty bad.  When we drafted scherff in 2015, our line improved and that's when Cousins blossomed.  I wouldn't be surprised if we see the same thing with our current situation.  A young QB struggling due to constant pressure, who finally takes off when (hopefully) the oline improves.

• Like 1