Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

Interesting video of the Jets draft.  Apparently we were in trade talks with the Jets for 53.  See the video here (Starts at 26:26)

Apparently the Jets (who wanted Roman Wilson or Corley) at 53 were offering 111+134 (which doesn't make any sense) for 53.  I assume we were also getting 72 in that deal.

So, it would have been 53 for 72+111+134.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, DWinzit said:

I see this as pretty accurate...and would be a reality check for a lot of homers.

They drafted players that fit their vision for where they want the team to move towards. While some think they were BPA, some were not, but they fit what they want.

I do note that I see McCaffrey as having a large potential but he was over drafted.

I never expect anything from UDFA but always hold out hopes. I agree regarding Chig. Jones or Wiley will make the PS and have a shot if any RB's become injured

The best way to look at UDFA is an extension of late day 3, especially considering the draft went 12 rounds in the eighties for a while there, it basically is. If have the normal amount of picks + UDFA's its basically reasonable to get about 1.5-2 guys that stick for the length of a rookie contract (and maybe earn a 2nd) via day 3 and UDFA pick ups. Anymore than 1.5-2 is either crazy success, or, "god ---- is your roster ----, no wonder they made it"....which further indicts Casserly in that throughout the 90's he couldn't hit the broadside of a barn day 1, or day 2 AND we had a straight, trash roster from '93-'99. Pretty embarrassing.

I suspect we get probably 5 guys from the selections and UDFA's that earn 2nd contracts and stick in the league to late 20's or thirties. Not sure who, but for now, I'm guessing we hit on 3 of our top 4 guys, 1 of our 2 3rd rounders, and probably 1 or 2 day 3+UDFA guys (I really like the Safety and LB as long term swings, but it would be foolish to specify once you're at around 150 and beyond). 

It looks like a pretty good haul. My overdrafts are Sinnott, McCaffrey, and Daniels in particular, but I get Sinnott and Daniels even if I disagree w/the latter. I think there were definitely better WR's available than McCaffrey and don't get it. I hope they all prove me wrong, but again, with Sinnott, it's pretty simple, there were only a couple of TE's left and we had one more pick left after that selection between that selection (53) and 100, so I could understand the desire to avoid missing out on Sinnott once we couldn't do a trade down apparently w/the Jets but it is worth knowing, with Sinnott off the board, the only other TE to go was some scrub at 82, before our 100th pick, so if we could live without Sinnott, looks like we could have gotten any TE we wanted by moving down or waiting to use the Niners Chase Young pick. The TE run began at slot 101 (6 TE's went in round 4, after only 2 went in the top 100). 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mhd24 said:

Interesting video of the Jets draft.  Apparently we were in trade talks with the Jets for 53.  See the video here (Starts at 26:26)

Apparently the Jets (who wanted Roman Wilson or Corley) at 53 were offering 111+134 (which doesn't make any sense) for 53.  I assume we were also getting 72 in that deal.

So, it would have been 53 for 72+111+134.

I would have done the 72+11+134 deal over Sinnott (and we might have gotten Sinnott at 67, I emphasize "might". Can't be sure, but we know now, with no Sinnott or Bowers on the board, only 1 TE was selected between 53 and 100. Then 6 were drafted between 101 and like 131. So the sweet spot, oddly enough, looks like it was our pick 100, if we could live without Sinnott, otherwise we were playing w/fire, but I had 4 TE's I liked after Bowers enough to draft, so I could have definitely waited. Oh well. 

Beyond athletic scores and captaincy, borrowing a term from Hoffman, there’s a lot of position versatility with this group.  I expect we’ll see the most dynamism from Sinnot and McCaffrey, but a lot of these guys can play in different spots.

Random draft factoid - how strange that we drafted 2 owls

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I understand the sentiment of LMC being over drafted, but he was pretty much the last WR with + size that was left and would have gone fast.

There were a few WR's with size at that point - Johnny Wilson, Tez Walker, Tony Franklin, Brenden Rice. :815:

But I don't think any of them were captains. ;)

:229:The Rook

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Either pigs are flying or that devious s.o.b. Mike Florio is trying to reverse jinx our ass into a bad season.

Guess who all of a sudden thinks we dominated the draft...

Nn

I still don't trust him. He's got something up his sleeve for sure!

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Haha 3

23 hours ago, The Consigliere said:

It looks like a pretty good haul. My overdrafts are Sinnott, McCaffrey, and Daniels in particular, but I get Sinnott and Daniels even if I disagree w/the latter. I think there were definitely better WR's available than McCaffrey and don't get it. I hope they all prove me wrong

I had Sainristil and Sinnott as negligible reaches on my overall slotting.  Where I think there could be some regret is that I had Beebe and Suamataia a fair bit higher than them on my board, and if they hit, then Sainristil and Sinnott need to hit bigger to feel like great value.  Sainristil was pretty risky.  I think there is an outcome where he quickly and significantly outplays his draft slot like Terry McClaurin did.  And I think there is an equally likely outcome where he doesn't really work out because of his size.  IMO Sinnott has a high floor and will probably end up being a good starter, and if he busts, it'll probably be due to injury.

I think Coleman was a pretty sizable reach at 67, and that's the Day 2 pick I don't have a ton of confidence in. I think we all see McCaffrey as a reach, but his film, his Senior Bowl week, and his pedigree are good enough to look at him as having the potential to justify his draft range.

As for Day 3, Magee is the guy I'm not sold on.  I know our FO has a reputation for excelling at drafting LBers, I just couldn't find enough cut ups to form a strong take on him, and what I did see was not very impressive.  In the end, who is really going to care if he doesn't hit though.  This class is 100% going to be defined by Jayden Daniels.  If he hits, then we'll be competitive at the highest level of the NFL.  If he busts, then we'll be going through turmoil again in a few seasons.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Going Commando said:

I had Sainristil and Sinnott as negligible reaches on my overall slotting.  Where I think there could be some regret is that I had Beebe and Suamataia a fair bit higher than them on my board, and if they hit, then Sainristil and Sinnott need to hit bigger to feel like great value.  Sainristil was pretty risky.  I think there is an outcome where he quickly and significantly outplays his draft slot like Terry McClaurin did.  And I think there is an equally likely outcome where he doesn't really work out because of his size.  IMO Sinnott has a high floor and will probably end up being a good starter, and if he busts, it'll probably be due to injury.

I think Coleman was a pretty sizable reach at 67, and that's the Day 2 pick I don't have a ton of confidence in. I think we all see McCaffrey as a reach, but his film, his Senior Bowl week, and his pedigree are good enough to look at him as having the potential to justify his draft range.

As for Day 3, Magee is the guy I'm not sold on.  I know our FO has a reputation for excelling at drafting LBers, I just couldn't find enough cut ups to form a strong take on him, and what I did see was not very impressive.  In the end, who is really going to care if he doesn't hit though.  This class is 100% going to be defined by Jayden Daniels.  If he hits, then we'll be competitive at the highest level of the NFL.  If he busts, then we'll be going through turmoil again in a few seasons.

Coleman is going to be interesting for sure.  I’m curious about your lack of confidence though - he seems to have some good things going for him - production, size, athleticism.  

For Sainristil, love everything I’ve heard/seen, but don’t love the value of a slot corner there.  As you suggest, if he’s as good as advertised/expected, don’t think we’ll care about draft slot in the end.

With McCaffrey, I think him being new to the position makes it hard to know where he’s going to end up as a finished product, but his family pedigree suggests we could see a lot of hard work/improvement from him.  His quickness, coupled with solid size (and room to fill out a bit), quality hands, and running ability are a nice baseline of traits.

Surprising how many of these guys are relatively new to their positions, and similar to McCaffrey, the combo of intangibles (earning them captaincies) and high end athleticism ups the chances at seeing a good amount of growth from them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Surprising how many of these guys are relatively new to their positions, and similar to McCaffrey, the combo of intangibles (earning them captaincies) and high end athleticism ups the chances at seeing a good amount of growth from them.

They went for distinct traits and physicality in selecting their players. Those players received grades a little higher than other evaluators had on them. I don't see a problem with that as long as it works. They did pass on a few players that I had higher grades at many positions but my I give slightly higher grades to players I think they will like...who the heck am I? :806:

• Haha 2

On 2/23/2024 at 4:18 AM, Est.1974 said:

He looks like someone people are going to over think and get caught up in the measurables / testing numbers.

Doesn’t he just looks like a very productive player in the making. He’s going to make yards and be a first down machine.

Can’t lie, I’m seeing some Chris Cooley there. Get him in.

Yep the Cooley comp was my first take. Love the Sinnott pick.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, FrFan said:

1. Who had the most success during the 2024 NFL Draft?

Commanders

"This is a layup, but have to take the open lane to the basket on this one. The first five selections -- Jayden Daniels, Johnny Newton, Mike Sainristil, Ben Sinnott and Luke McCaffrey -- will all be major contributors to the rebuild in Washington." -- Chris Trapasso

1. Washington Commanders

Impactful rookies: QB Jayden Daniels, DT Johnny Newton, CB Mike Sainristil, TE Ben Sinnott, WR Luke McCaffrey

Those first five picks by GM Adam Peters were sensational. Denzel Washington Man On Fire type stuff from the Commanders new GM. Daniels has all the dynamic skills to be that new-age, dual-threat passer that terrifies defenses underneath, at the intermediate level, downfield, and yeah, with his legs. 

If Newton was able to work out before the draft, no way he's available in Round 1. He can be a 50-plus pressure defensive tackle as a rookie. Sainristil can be the annoying nickel corner who tackles like a champ, blitzes off the corner, and sticks to slot receivers underneath, and Sinnott legitimately has Sam LaPorta-esque athleticism and powerful YAC skills. 

McCaffrey will probably make the least impact of this bunch, but his diverse route-running skills will likely help him get on the field and earn targets sooner rather than later. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't like trashing players in their welcome thread, so I'm taking the discussion here: I've been watching Brandon Coleman and his film is awful.  I understand that he played through an injury last year, but he was total garbage in the '22 Big 12 championship too.  Kind of tread water in the first half, but the flood gates broke in the second and he just got his ass kicked rep after rep and got Max Duggan beaten to a fare thee well.  Beaten outside and inside, with power and speed.  Issues with hand placement, issues with grip and sustain, issues with his set depth, and really big issues with stiff legs and balance.  He tries to bench guys and use his length but he leans so far out over his feet that his balance is really weak and he's just easy to shuck.  For someone who is legit fast, it is shockingly easy to run around him and take a tight angle on the turn.  I see hints of the recovery speed when he adjusts to stunts properly, and when he pulls, but I think his feet are pretty heavy and slow most of the time.

I think Coleman was Peters's worst pick.  I think he definitely needs to kick inside to guard because NFL level counter rushers are going to destroy him, but I don't know that I see a bright future for him at guard either.  He's not really a standout run blocker, and I would still worry about him in pass pro at guard against more powerful rushers.

Frankly, it feels like a tremendous failure from Peters to come out of that absolutely loaded OL draft class with only Brandon Coleman, particularly given the fact we had five Day 2 picks.  It looks like we're going to head into camp with very speculative options to start at LT and LG, and realistically none of them are starting caliber.  This OL is still going to be a major problem, and Jayden Daniels is going to have to run a **** ton to cope with how bad his pass protection is going to be.  His big strength as a passer is the vertical passing game, and we're not going to have time to run it with this line.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Ouch, now that's a rough eval but I get where you are coming from. I had him graded lower than numerous others and didn't think he was much of a tackle but think he could be decent at G.

Seemed they were focused on a couple guys they felt would be tone setters on both sides of the ball first in Sainristil and Sinnott over filling the T need. They must have figured some of those T's that all went in the 2nd would have reached 67..Paul. Fisher, Rosengarten and Suamataia. Even T's Wallace and Kiran who went after him were at least similarly graded and yes, on the interior there were significantly better players like Beebe, Adams and Haynes. I will cross my fingers that Coleman works out but most of us are as concerned with our T situation now as we were in January. 

Edited by DWinzit
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I recall Terrance Steele being trashed including by me on the draft thread before the draft, his tape wasn't hot, he got beat way too much.   

He had an off year last season but by and large has had a good career.  Good athlete, long arms.  Coleman an even better athlete, actually elite level athlete for the spot with more tools.

After guessing it wrong on Steele as I've said on the draft thread, i don't have a lot of confidence betting on or against the toolsy tackles one way or another.

I've heard PFF had a good grade for his 2022 games at tackle and a meh grade for his games at guard last year playing with a high ankle sprain.

Just watched one of his games at tackle just now.  I'll start with he looked better than Steele did in college by a mile or at least he did in that one game.

He sort of lets edge rushers get under his pads and by extension get the early momentum towards the QB, meaning he allows them to dictate too much to my eyes and relies on his strength-strong hands and legs to anchor his way through the rush. He longes some.   It mostly works but IMO he needs to dictate more.  Slippery edge rushers can swipe at his hands and bend around him.  But he mostly got the job done regardless. 

He recovered fairly well, too.  In the run game he has some people mover moments where he is fun but needs to work on sustaining his blocks and his balance. More good than bad.

I sort of get the idea that some have which is he's a high floor guard.  I think he would be difficult to beat in a phone booth if he's healthy and on his game considering I think his anchor looks good.  And he has sort of that guard stocky girth as to his body.  Widish muscular body.  He seems to move better forward than laterally which also lends to guard. And clearly has the athleticism to run block on the 2nd level.

As an athlete he looks stacked if he can develop his game.  He's broad shouldered, thick chested, small gut, longish arms.  And with sub 5 speed.  Elite shuttle-3 cone times which has a good correlation to success at that spot.

He's touted by some of the draftniks who I often agree with DJ, Brugler, Cummings.  And he supposedly hasintangibles through the roof and hasn't played football for long.  So in the early 3rd-- I get it, bet on tools and see what happens. 

I know his struggles were more at guard but a high ankle sprain isn't easy to play through.  I am not sure he's the answer at tackle.  Tough call.   But I get the idea with him.  I'd be really surprised though if he doesn't end up at a minimum a high end guard.  He's a bit raw no doubt but its very easy IMHO to see he has freak traits when watching him.   You add that with high intangibles -- apparently not just a good dude but was a vocal leader on that team, I'd guess at a minimum they likely found a high end guard.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DWinzit said:

Ouch, now that's a rough eval but I get where you are coming from. I had him graded lower than numerous others and didn't think he was much of a tackle but think he could be decent at G.

Seemed they were focused on a couple guys they felt would be tone setters on both sides of the ball first in Sainristil and Sinnott over filling the T need. They must have figured some of those T's that all went in the 2nd would have reached 67..Paul. Fisher, Rosengarten and Suamataia. Even T's Wallace and Kiran who went after him were at least similarly graded and yes, on the interior there were significantly better players like Beebe, Adams and Haynes. I will cross my fingers that Coleman works out but most of us are as concerned with our T situation now as we were in January.

I had three picks where an OL was the clear BPA for us, and could have even made the case for more.  I think Peters flat out misevaluated the OL class.  That has been a big issue in San Francisco's front office, and I'm very concerned that it has followed Peters to DC.  The OL coach they hired is another problem.  He's coming from a job where he coached one of the worst OLs in the entire league, and it wasn't a situation where he had crap to work with.  He had OL prospects with a ton more upside than what we have here.  They also had money to burn in FA and went ultra conservative on the OL, basically replacing Leno with Biadasz and bringing in another career backup IOL and calling it a day.  I understand you can't force people to sign here, but we can overpay to deal with an obvious problem like Carolina did.  I didn't panic after free agency because I thought Biadasz was just the start and that they'd absolutely be able to come out of the draft with another starter and some high quality prospects for the pipeline.  Instead it feels like we struck out looking.

The big looming problem downstream of the OL is that they hitched their wagon to a QB with a tiny frame who runs a ton and needs a ton of time in clean pockets to play his game.  I don't understand what's not computing for them about the OL, and how they think this is going to work.  If Ron were the guy in charge of such an obviously bad and incoherent plan for the offense, he'd be getting destroyed for the work that Peters just did on the offense.  Ron got torched for this issue last off-season, and he didn't have five top 100 picks in a loaded OL draft class to deal with the problem.  Instead Peters is getting back slaps from everyone?  The only pick where he didn't reach IMO was Johnny Newton.

5 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I had three picks where an OL was the clear BPA for us, and could have even made the case for more.  I think Peters flat out misevaluated the OL class.  That has been a big issue in San Francisco's front office, and I'm very concerned that it has followed Peters to DC.  The OL coach they hired is another problem.  He's coming from a job where he coached one of the worst OLs in the entire league, and it wasn't a situation where he had crap to work with.  He had OL prospects with a ton more upside than what we have here.  They also had money to burn in FA and went ultra conservative on the OL, basically replacing Leno with Biadasz and bringing in another career backup IOL and calling it a day.  I understand you can't force people to sign here, but we can overpay to deal with an obvious problem like Carolina did.  I didn't panic after free agency because I thought Biadasz was just the start and that they'd absolutely be able to come out of the draft with another starter and some high quality prospects for the pipeline.  Instead it feels like we struck out looking.

The big looming problem downstream of the OL is that they hitched their wagon to a QB with a tiny frame who runs a ton and needs a ton of time in clean pockets to play his game.  I don't understand what's not computing for them about the OL, and how they think this is going to work.  If Ron were the guy in charge of such an obviously bad and incoherent plan for the offense, he'd be getting destroyed for the work that Peters just did on the offense.  Ron got torched for this issue last off-season, and he didn't have five top 100 picks in a loaded OL draft class to deal with the problem.  Instead Peters is getting back slaps from everyone?  The only pick where he didn't reach IMO was Johnny Newton.

I think Donovan Smith is on speed dial IMO.  Coleman is purely a developmental tackle IMO.  Regarding SF, I can't really denigrate/applaud Peters on that because Kyle has very specific wants on OL.  He only cares about athleticism.  Trent has been the only elite OL the Shanahans have drafted in years.  Trent could play anywhere in any system.  Otherwise, they are perfectly fine playing the Tyler Polumbus's of the world.  Shanny couldn't draft OL here either with the exception of Trent.  Remember Adam Gettis & Josh LeReibus?  I tend to think Shanny has full control on the OL he drafts.  His record on that matter speaks for itself (and its not good at all).  

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

You were preaching on this thread that some of us were wrong weeks ago when some of us said we must take a tackle in the 2nd round -- and you explained how that's how Ron screwed up by drafting to need.  And that whole point from you led into a longish BPA versus need conversation here.   

I agree with the spirit of your point though, LT is a big hole and it might still be a big hole.

Seems like you got a beef overall with his draft if you feel that every pick was a reach aside from Newton.   Correct me if I am wrong but it feels like you feel like I did about Ron's draft last year.  As I digested what Ron did, I liked it less and less and ultimately trashed it but I wasn't there right away.  Feels like that's how you are digesting this one?

You liked Ron's draft last year in real time and his off season in general -- I recall debating you on it.  Conversely, I've liked some drafts which i was dead wrong about especially the 2011 Shanny draft.   As we know tough to know until it plays out.

As far as the O line, as to Ron it wasn't just that he did so little to address it but he also dismantled it and blew off easy opportunities to fix it.  And did odd things like taking Jamin over Darrisaw.  Peters I doubt would take a will LB over a potential franchise LT.  Peters actually DID try to trade up for a LT in the first round.  It's on his radar.   There weren't excitng options at LT in FA that he blew off.   Considering they tried to trade up for one, it woudn't surprise me if the spot remains on the radar and they hope for a release like we did years ago with Moses and the Bears with Leno.

But you can't fix Rome in a day.  By the time you got to the mid 2nd round it wasn't screaming with high floor left tackles IMO.  I am more than OK with Sainstrill.  I regret not putting him on my guys list considering I was early on him.  And then they took a guy who was on my guys list as to Sinnott.  So of course I liked that.  And if we are going to hit Peters for the O line in SF, the dude knows his way around TEs.  So if am high on a TE and he's high on that same TE, am feeling good about it, but will see. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

2 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

I think Donovan Smith is on speed dial IMO.  Coleman is purely a developmental tackle IMO.  Regarding SF, I can't really denigrate/applaud Peters on that because Kyle has very specific wants on OL.  He only cares about athleticism.  Trent has been the only elite OL the Shanahans have drafted in years.  Trent could play anywhere in any system.  Otherwise, they are perfectly fine playing the Tyler Polumbus's of the world.  Shanny couldn't draft OL here either with the exception of Trent.  Remember Adam Gettis & Josh LeReibus?  I tend to think Shanny has full control on the OL he drafts.  His record on that matter speaks for itself (and its not good at all).  

I'm concerned that Peters inherited the mindset of drafting OL for that offense, based on the work that he did on the OL here this off-season.  Coleman in the early third feels like an Aaron Banks type reach, except that Aaron Banks was actually coming off an All American season.  I also don't think Kliff is the schemer and play caller that Shanny Jr is, and even with a QB who is a super decisive player running a highly deceptive offense with the best collection of weapons in the league and an absolutely elite defense, SF hasn't been able to win it all.  They keep getting to a point in the postseason where they run into a wall of getting dominated at the LoS.  They've also had a lot of QB injuries.

KC had a very momentary dip in their OL quality and got destroyed by the Bucs as a result.  It cost them at least one SB ring.  Then they went out and built the best IOL in the NFL and have been cruising ever since.  We need to address our problem in a similar fashion.  At this point, I am very concerned that Jayden is headed for a Bryce Young type rookie season.

Posted (edited)

I'm not concerned about Coleman personally. I'm in awe someone that size can move as well as he does. My only issues are his hand usage needs to get better but it's not a liability and he struggles with inside moves, which is pretty common from what I can discern from doing this.

Edited by Chump Bailey

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

You liked Ron's draft last year in real time and his off season in general -- I recall debating you on it.  Conversely, I've liked some drafts which i was dead wrong about especially the 2011 Shanny draft.   As we know tough to know until it plays out.

I was banned during the draft last year, I never gave a take on it in real time.  I thought Forbes was a Jahan Dotson style reach of an early second round talent getting picked mid first, not as bad as Jamin was, but would have had several OL ahead of him even in that weak class, particularly Anton Harrison and Dawand Jones.  I liked Quan Martin and Braeden Daniels, although I think he reached on Daniels by a round.  I picked Daniels in the ES mock and got him in the fifth, at what I felt was fair value.  I hated the Stromberg pick, and I would have picked Olu Oluwatimi over KJ Henry.

On the whole, I felt like Ron at least tried to address the OL issues, the problem is he picked the wrong players.  The even bigger problem I didn't see coming was the collapse of the defense and the quiet quitting of the entire organization.  I don't feel like Peters actually tried to fix the OL at all.  But I do feel like he brought in a vastly better and more motivated coaching staff, and probably did genuinely fix the defense.

I really shouldn't be seeing parallels between this off-season and last off-season though, and I shouldn't be using Rivera's work as a bar for Peters to clear.  Peters had this off-season absolutely teed up for him to hit a grandslam, and I think he crushed it with the defense and flubbed it with the offense.  That's my perspective even when I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt on his QB selection.  Of all the offensive coaches he hired and players he signed and drafted, the only two moves I really liked and would have done too if I were in charge were hiring Anthony Lynn and signing Biadasz.  It feels to me like we basically had a defense heavy FA where we got a bunch of nice short term pieces, drafted two studs on D, and hired a bunch of great coaches for that side of the ball, but got swindled on almost all of the decisions we made on offense.  I hope I'm dead wrong.  I hope Peters isn't as green as he comes off to me.  I hope Jayden is a superstar, Kingsbury isn't a con man mercenary, and that Coleman, McCaffrey, and Sinnott were all hidden value picks and not reaches.  I'm not nearly as alarmed right now as I was during the first off-season of Ron's tenure, but I don't have the confidence in the work this regime has done that I was hoping for.

RE: this draft class

You cannot reach for the sake of reaching. That is how you get in trouble with classes.

Where I think we semi flubbed the draft was passing on Dejean (and Kool-Aid) and trading Dejean to the Eagles. I do like that we netted Sinnott there. But I don’t like that we handed the Eagles a strong DB and an hell of a return man and as a DB consolation took an undersized slot DB (who I think is going to be pretty good, by the way. Just not something I viewed as a need/reason to give up a quality outside CB for)

I really think the Chig UDFA signing DOES soften the blow a touch. And makes me like Sainristil’s selection more.

Magee is a specs/developmental guy. I am meh on that but with new specs rules he may be a bigger addition than anticipated.

I am completely unmoved by the Coleman and the DE pick (I should really attempt to remember his name). But that doesn’t mean they are bad picks.

Luke is going to be interesting. I don’t have much of an opinion there, yet. 

I’ve said repeatedly that I see two for sure hits, one that if he hits is a superstar and a bunch of risky selections.

Newton and Sinnott will be fine.

Daniels is a superstar if healthy.

The rest? We’ll see.

46 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

You were preaching on this thread that some of us were wrong weeks ago when some of us said we must take a tackle in the 2nd round -- and you explained how that's how Ron screwed up by drafting to need.  And that whole point from you led into a longish BPA versus need conversation here.

It would have been wrong to reach on OLs in the second round, but that wasn't the situation we faced.  IMO Suamataia and Beebe were BPAs and value picks over Sainristil and Sinnott.  And if you don't like them, three other tackles went in the second after our picks aside from Suamataia and you could have made a BPA case for each of them in the 50s.  But personally, I had Suamataia as a huge value pick in the 50s, and if he and Dawand Jones were out starting OTs, with Cosmi, Biadasz, and Beebe in the interior, we're looking at such a different future for the offense.  That's the OL I would have built with zero benefit of hindsight, and if I can figure that out from my couch, our FO should be able to blow that out of the water.

If anything, I had Sainristil and Sinnott as mild reaches in the second, although I think I could have been too low on Sainristil and that he could be another Terry McLaurin.  To my credit, I was the first one here to spot Sainristil and start gassing him up in the thread.  I've always liked him, I just think the draftnik community got too high on him and didn't accurately bake his size limitations into his draft value.

And we did reach on Coleman.  At that pick, Beebe should have been a no brainer.  And if you don't like Beebe, then Zinter, Amegadjie, Wallace, Adams, McCormick, Van Pran, and Haynes would have been better options too.  TBH, I think Coleman was a fifth or sixth round caliber pick.  I don't think his film is any good, and IMO both Braeden Daniels and Ricky Stromberg had better film than him.