Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

If they were to move way up like you all are discussing it really needs to be for the OT hole we have, to me Fashanu LT or Fuaga RT are the only answers. However, if there is a different faller than one of the top WRs there could be a steal with Bowers, or one of the edge guys. I think they don''t move up for an Edge but you never know.

• Like 1

Think we'd need to get up to #17 ahead of CIN at #18 to get Bowers if he starts falling. Would make a lot of sense if we could swing that, and we'd likely be able to keep #40 for an OT as well as a pair of 3's to grab WR and something on defense.

Probably takes #36, #67 and a future 2nd or 3rd to get to #17.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Think we'd need to get up to #17 ahead of CIN at #18 to get Bowers if he starts falling. Would make a lot of sense if we could swing that, and we'd likely be able to keep #40 for an OT as well as a pair of 3's to grab WR and something on defense.

Probably takes #36, #67 and a future 2nd or 3rd to get to #17.

Assuming the Chargers trade down with the VIkings and get pick 11, Bowers won't drop beyond that.

4 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

With the need for a future TE and the cruddy TE pool, Bowers or OT like Fashanu are the only early move that would make since

I'd be okay with Fuaga as well but I'm also okay with giving Peters more bullets in the chamber in the middle rounds.

The thought of hitting on a franchise QB and LT in one draft is tantalizing though. That's two potential studs on rookie contracts for five years. Immediately opens up a Super Bowl window if you hit on both.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I get it, long-term visioning, etc. But we have a lot more at WR than we do at OT, and by flipping a future 1st and #36 to make this move up (and it would likely take more) we do hamstring ourselves on addressing the OT spot in this and future drafts.

Here, I've got you:

#36 + #100 + 2025 first to CHI for #9

#40, #67, #78, future 2nd to Denver for #12

#9: Odunze

#12: Fuaga

We'd wipe out our draft through R5 this year and would lack a 1 and 2 next year, but we'd have 3 blue-chippers to speak for it haha. Although this feels totally counter to what this FO has done in the past ... they value those mid-round and future picks and probably feel they can make a bigger impact there and not need to trade all up into R1 for blue-chippers.

I would make that trade for #9 and I’d be happy with best tackle available at #40 or even #76 because there will be someone there we like like Kiran or Fisher

Not directly related to the draft, but because Marvin Harrison Jr. is going to be (most likely) the first non-QB player taken in the draft, a lot of sites are showing clips of his dad and Peyton.

My God. 

They were SO good.  I think people forget how good Harrison Sr. and Peyton were.  But the clips of them through the years are like eye candy.  Just perfect after perfect after perfect completion.  

I don't think anybody in the NFL is close to the show those 2 put on for a decade.  And while Mahomes has a better arm and more mobility than Peyton, I don't think he processes nearly as fast, or is as accurate.  

And Harrison was just SO smooth. 

The other thing which I noticed, which is becoming a lost art, is all the ball fakes and quick pumps, and things like that Peyton did.  On one play against the Jets, he pumped a slant to Harrison at the exact moment Harrison made a move to the slant, Harrison planted his foot and went vertical, the DB literally fell down, and Peyton laid the ball out for an easy TD.  

Absolutely beautiful.

If Jr. can be 3/4 as good as pops, he's a top 10 receiver in the NFL.  My goodness.  

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 2

I really think what a lot of you guys who want to move up into the 1st for a tackle are getting wrong is you are assuming instant stud impact for that player. If you guys go back and look at the past few drafts, I think you will be surprised to see the struggles in year 1 and flat out busting of people taken in the first round. On the other hand, we are seeing receivers coming in and performing like studs right away.

If you want Jayden or Drake or whoever to get off to a hot start, they are more likely to be helped by Odunze + someone like Donovan Smith as a 1 year fill in vs Fashanu and someone like a Coleman or Corley

The other thing here is that, while both OT and WR are deep, the OT position is lacking obvious HOF upside studs and WR has three of those guys. Yes we have a lot of positions to fill but as Cooley and others have pointed out, what has really hurt us is our lack of superstar gamechanging players. I really do think Odunze is that guy - no weaknesses to his game (as Nate Tice says, his weaknesses are that he is more "good" at some things than "elite"). 

Edited by method man
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

25 minutes ago, method man said:

I would make that trade for #9 and I’d be happy with best tackle available at #40 or even #76 because there will be someone there we like like Kiran or Fisher

I don't want to part with next year's first, As temping as those 2 additions would be I also don't want 2 of our best players (potentially) having their contracts up the same year.  

24 minutes ago, method man said:

I really think what a lot of you guys who want to move up into the 1st for a tackle are getting wrong is you are assuming instant stud impact for that player. If you guys go back and look at the past few drafts, I think you will be surprised to see the struggles in year 1 and flat out busting of people taken in the first round. On the other hand, we are seeing receivers coming in and performing like studs right away.

If you want Jayden or Drake or whoever to get off to a hot start, they are more likely to be helped by Odunze + someone like Donovan Smith as a 1 year fill in vs Fashanu and someone like a Coleman or Corley

The other thing here is that, while both OT and WR are deep, the OT position is lacking obvious HOF upside studs and WR has three of those guys. Yes we have a lot of positions to fill but as Cooley and others have pointed out, what has really hurt us is our lack of superstar gamechanging players. I really do think Odunze is that guy - no weaknesses to his game (as Nate Tice says, his weaknesses are that he is more "good" at some things than "elite"). 

I wouldn't mind an A1 receiver either. But none of the big 3 will be available after 9 and after that you have a buncha guys that are similar tiered and we can get a good one in round 2.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I wouldn't mind an A1 receiver either. But none of the big 3 will be available after 9 and after that you have a buncha guys that are similar tiered and we can get a good one in round 2.

Agreed which is why I would be very aggressive to move up to get one of the big 3 if one is still there at 8 or 9. 

3 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

If I am Arizona I take that deal. Jefferson + #11. What is the value of Jefferson? Two 1sts? 

If I am Arizona I would push for Jefferson, #11 and maybe a future 2nd or something.

And I know Minnesota is stockpiling ammunition to move up, but seems strange that they'd make a move to get #23 if they weren't planning to include that pick in a package to move up, and to me #11 + #23 + Jefferson feels like way too much to give up. So maybe Minnesota offers #23, Jefferson, and a future 1st and retains #11 to grab a WR that falls? Lots of moving parts.

If Minnesota trades Jefferson one of the two first rd picks is probably to replace him. If they send Jefferson and 11 to AZ they will pick a WR with the pick at 23.

Edited by Redskins 2021

2 hours ago, method man said:

Love Odunze, took him in the board's draft.  Took him over Bowers who is also a player i love.

But I'd be surprised if he escapes the top 10.    And if so that would require if i recall draft point chart wise both 2nd round picks and another pick, probably a third

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I lean towards keeping all our picks and potentially adding on with a trade back or two.  

Unless we could get back into the first at super value, I'd rather take more stabs at getting the OL right by leaning on our scouts and GM. 

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

I lean towards keeping all our picks and potentially adding on with a trade back or two.  

Unless we could get back into the first at super value, I'd rather take more stabs at getting the OL right by leaning on our scouts and GM. 

I love it in theory but what do you do if all of the tackles through Morgan/Suamataia are gone by 36?

17 minutes ago, Bifflog said:

I love it in theory but what do you do if all of the tackles through Morgan/Suamataia are gone by 36?

Find the OT's that you feel can become great that will still be available with picks 40, 67, 78, and 100 even if they may take a little more time. 

I just wouldn't rush it and give up too much capital is all, Because the truth is that player isn't a certainty in any way either.  

But don't get me wrong, if they feel strong enough about someone and go do it, I'd be all for it. 

I just get the sense they won't be forcing anything with the draft.  I'd imagine they will be measured, patient, and calculated.  I'm loving how the FO is approaching things.

We'll see how they do, that calculus is being done as we speak.....I'm excited they will have it figured out....

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Love Odunze, took him in the board's draft.  Took him over Bowers who is also a player i love.

But I'd be surprised if he escapes the top 10.    And if so that would require if i recall draft point chart wise both 2nd round picks and another pick, probably a third

I think we'd probably be looking at both 2nds and a 2nd next year. I'd do it for Odunze. He is just such a clean prospect with such a high ceiling. Again, the nice thing here is we can package both 3rds to move back into the second and grab a tackle there if they don't want to wait.

13 minutes ago, method man said:

I think we'd probably be looking at both 2nds and a 2nd next year. I'd do it for Odunze. He is just such a clean prospect with such a high ceiling. Again, the nice thing here is we can package both 3rds to move back into the second and grab a tackle there if they don't want to wait.

I like him a lot but for me not for three 2nd round picks.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, method man said:

36 + 40 = 15

36 + 40 + Future 2nd = 10

67 + 78 = 44

67 + 100 = 51

78 + 100 = 59

So in theory, without having to give up future picks, we could get to #15/16 ... and then come back up for #44/45 range.

Picking #2 + #15 + #44 would be nice but that would leave us with #100, #139, #152 

Think I would rather just save the picks. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If..

BIG IF..

If this team was a WR away, then it makes sense to me to move up for a guy like Odunze.

This team is NOT one or even two players away.

We'll know much more after this year, but I think it's going to take 2-3 draft classes to actually get this team to a place where it's considered a real "contender".

Could definitely happen quicker, there are plenty of examples. But I am trying to temper my expectations in contrast with the insane amount of progress that has been made since the end of last season.

It just feels like this team needs MORE draft picks, not less.

Plus, this is a pretty heavy draft at WR, and Oline.  I dont think you really need to make a move this year.  Maybe down, but not up...

This feels like a trade "down" draft, not the situation you really need to move up in...

My 2¢

• Like 4

I'm assuming they have more visits than that? 

I've been fooled by the team visit thing before. They don't necessarily target these guys, but most notably, have incomplete evaluations of those specific players that they want to fill out.