Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

50 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Kingsley is starting to become my LT of choice if we stay at 36. But I still think a trade up for one with a higher floor is a safe bet.

He's someone that is falling for me personally. Not a huge drop, but I would rather have Blake Fisher by a good margin.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Kingsley is starting to become my LT of choice if we stay at 36. But I still think a trade up for one with a higher floor is a safe bet.

Kingsley is now creeping up in the PFF mock draft simulator, which I have set to operate on consensus, not who they favor. He's pretty frequently in the end of the 1st now. 

33 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Morgan and Paul for me at the minute. If we’ve drafted both of those plus a QB by the end of day two we’ll have done well.

For me, Latham, Mims and Barton are my preferred choices for a trade up in the 1st round. My choice for us in the 2nd trade up or not is Blake Fisher he's my prime target for value there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DWinzit said:

This OT class is amazingly packed with talent. So many of them have a question to their potential, many just need to land with the right situation...scheme, coaching and fit with other OL talent around them. While I still would love a Fashanu and Fuaga or Latham draft, reality is need to hit on one starter. I am really hoping we draft 2 OT's even if one ends out moving inside due to arm length or what have you but can kick outside in the future if needed. 

Now that we have conquered the beginning of FA, I am more hyped to see what we do at OT and weapons in the draft than I am QB. I am intrigued to see all the finalized pre-draft OL grades 

This OL class reminds me of last year's corner class: depth is extreme but all of the players have some limitations that might undermine them.  The only one who feels clean all of the way around to me is Fuaga.

I think it's weird how many fast 40s with slow 10 yard splits there were this year.  There were an unusually high number of super fast 10 yard splits, but there were many more that were slow while the lineman still ran a good 40. 

Maybe they aren't good at running the 40, or maybe they are good open field runners with slow first steps.  Maybe both.  The start and acceleration phase of a 40 is pretty difficult for someone who isn't a track athlete, but I could see the second half of the 40 can be fast if you are a naturally good runner.  Some of the slow 10 yard splits came from guys with decent jumps too, so the lower body power for a good start should be there.

My guess is that the guys with slow ten yard splits like Fuaga and Fashanu and Paul and Mims and Fisher couldn't get enough forward lean in their drive steps on their 40s and it hampered their start.  One of the keys to the 40 is to get as sharp a shin angle as your body can handle without losing your balance so that the force of your drive steps is pushing you forward instead of up.  But if you think about it, this kind of lower leg flexion and coordination isn't that relevant to the movements of pass protection, where hip and knee flexion are much more important.

It's relevant to pass rushing though, which is why the best pass rushers tend to run great 40s, and there isn't nearly as much correlation between elite OTs and good 40 times.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Many mocks are showing a heavy run-on OTs in the first round.  Every team is going to believe that the Commanders will pick an OT at 36 if one is still available.  Picks 33-35 are going to be critical (including trades).  Pro-football Network has us selecting Edge and CB.  It may be good in the long-term but I'm going to be initially disappointed.    

• Like 1

I know there will likely be a good edge defender at 36/40 but man given the depth of WR class I'd be a little sad if we didn't grab one this year.

Unless we pass on a WR for Chop Robinson, then I'm okay.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

10 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

For me, Latham, Mims and Barton are my preferred choices for a trade up in the 1st round. My choice for us in the 2nd trade up or not is Blake Fisher he's my prime target for value there.

It’s good there is a stack of depth to chose from. Bottom line, we need a couple of starting tackles eventually. For me, we’ve basically got our 3 starters on the IOL in house already. 

3 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

I know there will likely be a good edge defender at 36/40 but man given the depth of WR class I'd be a little sad if we didn't grab one this year.

Unless we pass on a WR for Chop Robinson, then I'm okay.

I’m sure Peters will back himself in rounds 3-5. That’s broadly where’s he’s typically on the money. 

• Like 1

CB and Edge will be gone by day three, but OL, WR and LBer will still be stacked with talent, so while I want to get the OL fixed with a big youth injection, I'm completely fine going pure BPA and hitting tackle late.

I definitely don't want to be resigning a LT and QB at the same time in 5 years.

• Like 1

Just now, PlayAction said:

Many mocks are showing a heavy run-on OTs in the first round.  Every team is going to believe that the Commanders will pick an OT at 36 if one is still available.  Picks 33-35 are going to be critical (including trades).  Pro-football Network has us selecting Edge and CB.  It may be good in the long-term but I'm going to be initially disappointed.    

The second round should be strong for OT too, as well as IOL.  Looking at PFFs current big board, there are eight OLs ranked outside of the top 32 that I would have second round value on:

Morgan - 41

Suamataia - 45

Amegadjie - 57

Haynes - 64

Fisher - 78

Paul - 90

Van Pran - 93

Beebe - 123

Mason McCormick and Dominic Puni and Beaux Limmer should be there in the third too, so there are about 11 linemen in the BPA mix for us when we have five picks in the draft.  I think we end up drafting two in that range, and maybe three total.

This is a good year to start rebuilding the OL.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

The second round should be strong for OT too, as well as IOL.  Looking at PFFs current big board, there are eight OLs ranked outside of the top 32 that I would have second round value on:

Morgan - 41

Suamataia - 45

Amegadjie - 57

Haynes - 64

Fisher - 78

Paul - 90

Van Pran - 93

Beebe - 123

Mason McCormick and Dominic Puni and Beaux Limmer should be there in the third too, so there are about 11 linemen in the BPA mix for us when we have five picks in the draft.  I think we end up drafting two in that range, and maybe three total.

I'm targeting Fisher or Rosengarten with out early 3rd.  We got Morgan Moses with an early 3rd and I'm hoping history repeats itself.

3 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

I'm targeting Fisher or Rosengarten with out early 3rd.

Kiper thinks Rosengarten could go in the 1st. I love Mel and I do believe he is hearing that chatter, but I do not view him anywhere near that level of talent.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Beebe going that low is crazy. People are discounting film.

Was it the lackluster combine?  He's got short arms and didn't have an impressive weight-lifting session.

11 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Was it the lackluster combine?  He's got short arms and didn't have an impressive weight-lifting session.

Probably. The shorts Olympics matter too much.

would anyone be willing to toss our 2025 first rounder in trades?  I'm not willing to use it just to jump up one spot for Williams, but with another pick?  Considering what happened with the Bears and Panthers it could be very valuable. 

Of course we're a brand new team this year, more so than for a lot of rebuilding teams, but when you look at 4 wins plus six one score losses I feel like we could easily be out of the top ten in the draft

16 minutes ago, MrJL said:

would anyone be willing to toss our 2025 first rounder in trades?  I'm not willing to use it just to jump up one spot for Williams, but with another pick?  Considering what happened with the Bears and Panthers it could be very valuable. 

Of course we're a brand new team this year, more so than for a lot of rebuilding teams, but when you look at 4 wins plus six one score losses I feel like we could easily be out of the top ten in the draft

For Joe Alt, I’d do it

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

CB and Edge will be gone by day three, but OL, WR and LBer will still be stacked with talent, so while I want to get the OL fixed with a big youth injection, I'm completely fine going pure BPA and hitting tackle late.

I definitely don't want to be resigning a LT and QB at the same time in 5 years.

That is a good point, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do and 5 years is an eternity in the NFL-- a lot can happen between now and then

My question for you is, are you comfortable not just spot starting Cornelious Lucas, but depending on him to hold down LT for the entire year?

Because realistically, that's what we might be facing, if we wait until day three (or even potentially the 2nd or 3rd round) to address that critical spot.

I'd be much more comfortable going in with the strategy of taking the best qb available at 1.2 and then trading back up int the mid to late first round to get our (hopefully, fingers crossed🤞) franchise LT.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Going Commando said:

This OL class reminds me of last year's corner class: depth is extreme but all of the players have some limitations that might undermine them.  The only one who feels clean all of the way around to me is Fuaga.

I think it's weird how many fast 40s with slow 10 yard splits there were this year.  There were an unusually high number of super fast 10 yard splits, but there were many more that were slow while the lineman still ran a good 40. 

Maybe they aren't good at running the 40, or maybe they are good open field runners with slow first steps.  Maybe both.  The start and acceleration phase of a 40 is pretty difficult for someone who isn't a track athlete, but I could see the second half of the 40 can be fast if you are a naturally good runner.  Some of the slow 10 yard splits came from guys with decent jumps too, so the lower body power for a good start should be there.

My guess is that the guys with slow ten yard splits like Fuaga and Fashanu and Paul and Mims and Fisher couldn't get enough forward lean in their drive steps on their 40s and it hampered their start.  One of the keys to the 40 is to get as sharp a shin angle as your body can handle without losing your balance so that the force of your drive steps is pushing you forward instead of up.  But if you think about it, this kind of lower leg flexion and coordination isn't that relevant to the movements of pass protection, where hip and knee flexion are much more important.

It's relevant to pass rushing though, which is why the best pass rushers tend to run great 40s, and there isn't nearly as much correlation between elite OTs and good 40 times.

You went deep with  the 10 and 40's in this post. Deeper dive than I've ever given those times. I am a bit surprised the 10's were not quicker. I get that this is much more relevant for the pass rushers but I'd have expected better, especially from certain of the OT's that seem lighter on their feet. It feels like a must for us to hit on an OT in this draft and we need to draft one by the 3rd round....And honestly, I'd be disappointed if we didn't address the OL by the end of the 2nd. Yup, there are a ton of players with dings in their game, we need one with very few dings.

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

Morgan - 41

Suamataia - 45

Amegadjie - 57

Haynes - 64

Fisher - 78

Paul - 90

Van Pran - 93

Beebe - 123

Wondering where you have Puni? He is someone that has not had much press with all the other OL talent.

My first thoughts on that list and rankings are:

1. Paul goes by 50 
  2. Suamataia getting a lot recent love. I have Amegadjie and he about equal.
  3. How can Beebe move out of the 3rd....will he even reach the 3rd
  4. We would be in a pretty sweet spot at 40 if that was the way the draft played out

Give the T they like the best and a WR in the 2nd then Beebe and Sinnott in the 3rd

Then dip into the defenders

Edited by DWinzit
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

I’m mostly with you here, though I think we land a tackle in the 2nd and then again later.  I made a post in the FA thread (for some reason) about how I’d guess things shake out.  I think it might have been misconstrued as going off need, but my focus was actually on where I think the strengths of the positions lay (with some need thrown in of course).  

Value-wise (JMO of course):

WR - aside from Ladd and maybe Pearsall, I don’t love the value vs other positions (including the class depth at other positions) in the 2nd - plenty of interesting receivers should still be around in the 3rd/4th. 

TE - either after a trade back in the 2nd, or in the 3rd?

Corner - 2nd?  Slot corner looks promising in the 3rd, but outside corner is far more pressing IMO, and I’m thinking there’s a sizeable drop off after round 2.  Not too sure about fit though…

DE - from 2nd-3rd?

OL - tackle in the 2nd, though this could be 36, 40, or later in the 2nd after a trade back, then maybe another olineman (tackle or G/T is my guess) in round 3?

Linebacker, S and DT are the wildcards for me, and this is where my (ingrained?) factoring of need gets in the way, because a part of me says to just look at the 5th and beyond and then we can try again next year.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PlayAction said:

unless all the first and second round quality OTs are gone by pick 40 us not picking one OT in round 2 ould drive me nuts

Has anyone else heard now we're supposely taking those calls for the number 2 pick.

It's being suggested that the Chargers might want to go for Marvin Harrison Jr since they lost Allen and Williams.

If we like both Maye and Daniels equally it might be worth going for.  We know the Cards aren't going QB.  Of course the danger there is they trade down but we could use part of whatever we get from the Chargers to beat out their trade offer.  And of course the simpler thing to do would be to swap with the Cards at 4  so the Chargers couldn't do that

10 minutes ago, MrJL said:

unless all the first and second round quality OTs are gone by pick 40 us not picking one OT in round 2 ould drive me nuts

Has anyone else heard now we're supposely taking those calls for the number 2 pick.

It's being suggested that the Chargers might want to go for Marvin Harrison Jr since they lost Allen and Williams.

If we like both Maye and Daniels equally it might be worth going for.  We know the Cards aren't going QB.  Of course the danger there is they trade down but we could use part of whatever we get from the Chargers to beat out their trade offer.  And of course the simpler thing to do would be to swap with the Cards at 4  so the Chargers couldn't do that

1. Not answering the phone would be negligence.

2. Nevertheless, no price could be worth it. 

3. The Chargers aren’t paying franchise QB trade up tax into the top-3 to draft a ****ing WR.