Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

13 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Our approach to FA has made me very optimistic about our draft. We are seriously going for it, draft will be the same, in whatever context that eventually means. 

Feels like FA is factoring the draft at least so far.

LT and WR and CB are stacked in the draft.   I am presuming if everything holds those spots are going early

I am guessing MLB, C, RB are less likely now. 

Not saying they draft to need but they are setting themselves up for need-BPA to merge.

As for RB, the previous regime often went with 3 RBs on the roster.  Not sure if this one does the same.  But if they do, drafting a RB high with the idea of putting them on the practice squad wouldn't make sense.

But it does make me wonder about their combine meeting with Jonathan Brooks.  You can IR him so he can recover from the ACL injury.   They'd likely have to take him in the third and there are other players I likely would prefer there.  But he's on my radar with them because if they want as they said in their press conference "explosive" players.  Brooks is big time explosive.

• Like 1

I wonder with the Wagner and luvu signing if it makes Jamin Davis expendable. Maybe he could be added value in a draft day trade to go up and get Caleb Williams or a move back into the 1st round to grab a tackle. I doubt we pick up his option, so it’s very possible this is his last year with us anyway. I don’t know what his value is in a draft day trade, definitely not a 1st rounder that we spent on him, maybe he would be the equivalent of a late second or third round pick. 

I think I’d rather trade Jamin and a second to move back into the first round to get a tackle, then trade both seconds, same with a trade up for Caleb. Maybe we could trade Jamin and a second to get a tackle in the first and then replace Jamin with the linebacker from NCstate with our other second.

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

LT and WR and CB are stacked in the draft.   I am presuming if everything holds those spots are going early

Yep agree on those spots.

Maybe Edge too, considering a couple of the FA signings are one year deals. Good time to get a rookie in house with that experience on the roster 2024.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

I wonder with the Wagner and luvu signing if it makes Jamin Davis expendable. Maybe he could be added value in a draft day trade to go up and get Caleb Williams or a move back into the 1st round to grab a tackle. I doubt we pick up his option, so it’s very possible this is his last year with us anyway. I don’t know what his value is in a draft day trade, definitely not a 1st rounder that we spent on him, maybe he would be the equivalent of a late second or third round pick. 

I think I’d rather trade Jamin and a second to move back into the first round to get a tackle, then trade both seconds, same with a trade up for Caleb. Maybe we could trade Jamin and a second to get a tackle in the first and then replace Jamin with the linebacker from NCstate with our other second.

I really wanna see Jamin under Quinn. I think he could explode.

• Like 3

Just now, Warhead36 said:

I really wanna see Jamin under Quinn. I think he could explode.

Me to but even if he does explode he is still more than likely hitting free agency, and would be even more expensive to keep around. The tag is an option if he explodes this year, I just don’t want to lose a valuable asset for nothing. He really could explode this year, he has the talent.

55 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

Me to but even if he does explode he is still more than likely hitting free agency, and would be even more expensive to keep around. The tag is an option if he explodes this year, I just don’t want to lose a valuable asset for nothing. He really could explode this year, he has the talent.

His value isn't worth trading when you consider the potential upside. At worst you just franchise tag him if you need to.

5 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

His value isn't worth trading when you consider the potential upside. At worst you just franchise tag him if you need to.

You can’t franchise tag him. Off ball LB are in the same franchise tag pool as 3-4 EDGEs. The only exception here is if they make him a defacto EDGE. Remember that  was going to be his role at Kentucky before injuries to others allowed him to get the starting ILB role

1 hour ago, mac8887 said:

I think it would be really prescient to try to get Jamin extended now on a sub $10M AAV deal for three years. We already know that his floor is solid weakside LB. I agree too that in DQ’s defense, his numbers could really take off.

I would try to extend both Cosmi and Davis now

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, method man said:

I think it would be really prescient to try to get Jamin extended now on a sub $10M AAV deal for three years. We already know that his floor is solid weakside LB. I agree too that in DQ’s defense, his numbers could really take off.

Cosmi yes, Davis no at this stage. If we bring another LB in then he’s on the outside from the get go.

1 hour ago, method man said:

Extending Davis now is kind of a Howie Roseman move. Sign guys to extensions right before they break out. Its a gamble that doesn't always pay off, and I think Davis himself probably wants to see how he plays under Quinn to increase his value.

Def. gotta try to extend Cosmi now. My guess is we work something out later this off season.

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Feels like FA is factoring the draft at least so far.

I am guessing MLB, C, RB are less likely now. 

Not saying they draft to need but they are setting themselves up for need-BPA to merge.

As for RB, the previous regime often went with 3 RBs on the roster.  Not sure if this one does the same.  But if they do, drafting a RB high with the idea of putting them on the practice squad wouldn't make sense.

But it does make me wonder about their combine meeting with Jonathan Brooks.  You can IR him so he can recover from the ACL injury.   They'd likely have to take him in the third and there are other players I likely would prefer there.  But he's on my radar with them because if they want as they said in their press conference "explosive" players.  Brooks is big time explosive.

With Wagner on a 1 year deal and Jamin in his 4th, I think it still makes a lot of sense to draft a backer, particularly having them learn behind an All Pro.  But yes, definitely less of a need now.  Your idea in terms of Brooks is an interesting one for sure.

3 hours ago, mac8887 said:

This suggests you think Davis is worth a 2nd (a high 2nd) in terms of trade value?

3 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Yep agree on those spots.

Maybe Edge too, considering a couple of the FA signings are one year deals. Good time to get a rookie in house with that experience on the roster 2024.

Yeah, I think edge is less necessary now, but considering the one year deals and the fact we don’t have a high end pass rushing edge, I think there’s a pretty good chance we still go that route somewhere on day 2.

Awful lot of possibilities regarding OT (though it’s going to be challenging to really excel at addressing it).  Signing Smith or whoever, trading up, taking one in the 2nd, taking one of the more ‘tweener’ OTs and starting them off at guard, taking more of a developmental guy a bit later (after a trade back in the 2nd or in the 3rd), etc.  And of course I wonder about re-signing Lucas…

Edited by skinny21

didn't know it went that poorly for him.  I liked Nubin over him anyway.

44 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

With Wagner on a 1 year deal and Jamin in his 4th, I think it still makes a lot of sense to draft a backer, particularly having them learn behind an All Pro.  But yes, definitely less of a need now.  Your idea in terms of Brooks is an interesting one for sure.

I'd be slightly surprised if they take one.  For starters its not a hot draft for the spot.   If Wagner plays well I suspect they bring him back.  Luvu got a multiple year contract.  And Jamin is LB #3.

Then considering good chance need spots:  CB, WR, Edge, TE, OG, LT all have the chance to be BPA in the top 4 rounds 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

didn't know it went that poorly for him.  I liked Nubin over him anyway.

I'd be slightly surprised if they take one.  For starters its not a hot draft for the spot.   If Wagner plays well I suspect they bring him back.  Luvu got a multiple year contract.  And Jamin is LB #3.

Then considering good chance need spots:  CB, WR, Edge, TE, OG, LT all have the chance to be BPA in the top 4 rounds 

Yeah, that’s fair enough - BPA and need should line up nicely for us at some combo of those other positions.  And to further your point, analytically it makes more sense to go after pricier positions in the draft as well as taking advantage of deeper position groups.  With all of that said, I won’t at all be surprised if they wind up taking a backer at some point.  As I said, learning behind Wagner is huge, and it’s a position that often takes some time.  And of course there’s the appeal of ST play.

9 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Pretty much has to be LT at 36 or 40. Maybe we trade back into the 1st for one. 

I think the Howell trade makes this even more likely.

I think there will be a OT run.

Trading up from 36 in second to a late first round pick (25-32 picks) would cost between 590 and 720. 36th pick is worth 540. Our 3 3rd rounders are worth 255, 200, and 100 respectively.

Trading 100, which is practically a 4th, to get the last OT and get a 5th year makes a ton of sense to me. 

I would also consider it for a pure BPA guy who slides before KC or Baltimore can grab him.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

I think the Howell trade makes this even more likely.

I think there will be a OT run.

Trading up from 36 in second to a late first round pick (25-32 picks) would cost between 590 and 720. 36th pick is worth 540. Our 3 3rd rounders are worth 255, 200, and 100 respectively.

Trading 100, which is practically a 4th, to get the last OT and get a 5th year makes a ton of sense to me. 

I would also consider it for a pure BPA guy who slides before KC or Baltimore can grab him.

I actually think most of the OTs are going to be gone.  We won't have a chance at drafting them.  Every team needs them... 

5). Chargers (RT);

7). Titans (LT);

9). Bears (LT);

10). Jets (LT);

13). Vegas (RT);

14). Saints (LT or RT);

18). Cincy (RT);

20). Pittsburgh (RT);

24). Dallas (LT);

30). Baltimore (RT);

31). SF (RT);

32). KC (LT);

We'll be left out of the tackle dance IMO.  Everyone will be long gone.  

I actually think Rosengarten is an intriguing target in R2.  He won't make it to our 3rd round pick IMO.  He has LT experience and was moved to RT to protect Penix's blindside.  Admittedly, he did not have a great championship game, but I wouldn't hate taking him after a small trade down from one of our 2nds.

Man we have so much flexibility right now.  6 picks in top 100 is great but it also means we can move up back into the 2nd with our 3rds, or potentially back into the 1st.

This is gonna be so hype.

I love trading down in the draft even when you have a top pick.  There’s never a guarantee that a top pick pans out over time.  That’s why I like trading down for more picks.  It’s a numbers game. More quality picks mean there’s better chance at finding those guys that pan out.

But this year is different.   We have plenty of top 100 picks that I don’t feel the need to trade down.  Peters has done a great job thus far in my eyes.   

still want Harrison Jr though 🤣

5 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Kinchens didn’t test well at all. That said, he’s a feisty player who I think would fit the bill here. I’m kind of hoping that’s made him drop into 3rd round territory.

This is a classic case of film and testing not matching. At all. 

• Like 2

I got to study the mid to late round LTs now.  I already watched plenty of Fashanu, Guyton, Morgan.  But i need to hit Mims, Fautanu.

Feels at a minimum a possibility that they are headed back into the first Id guess somewhere between 20-32.

I think no way they are drafting a QB without a LT in play.  Even if they sign lets say T. Smith, you figure they want depth and his replacement on the roster.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I got to study the mid to late round LTs now.  I already watched plenty of Fashanu, Guyton, Morgan.  But i need to hit Mims, Fautanu.

Feels at a minimum a possibility that they are headed back into the first Id guess somewhere between 20-32.

Maybe add Patrick Paul and Kingsley Suamataia? Then you have all the big OTs covered from mid first to our seconds.

• Thumb up 2