Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

Just now, bh32 said:

There is a time to run,but when that is what your go to is because you are a raw passer then you will not survive..

Burrow has been hurt multiple times, Rodgers tore his achilles, Mahome Ankle last playoffs,Cousins Achilles, Brady ACL. It’s a tough league. 

Just now, OtisDriftwood25 said:

Burrow has been hurt multiple times, Rodgers tore his achilles, Mahome Ankle last playoffs,Cousins Achilles, Brady ACL. It’s a tough league. 

I agree with this for sure. All you can do is try to limit putting yourself in harms way. But even if you do you can still get hurt. It is most definitely a tough league. 

The best running QB I have ever seen at protecting himself is Wilson. I have no idea why his tape isnt mandatory study for running QB's.

Oh ****. I am sorry ya'll I thought I was in the QB thread with this discussion. I am done.

Edited by clskinsfan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, bh32 said:

Everyone of those QB's that you mentioned are pocket passers and all have been to the SB except for cousins

I prefer a pocket passer for sure. I am saying as of now Daniels or Maye, I prefer Daniels. There is so much more of this process that it’s moot point. Daniels size obviously is concerning but not end all be all for me.

By the end of the process I may prefer Bo Nix second round.

Edited by OtisDriftwood25
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Going Commando said:

That trade already looks bad, and it's going to get worse looking the better Montez plays.  We gave up a Probowl every down edge in his prime who only ended up costing 25 AAV for a second round pick.  We have had a systemic issue of devaluing our best players and selling low on them that has hopefully gone away with the Rivera regime.  We've also had a monstrous issue with getting to second contracts for players where it should be routine GM work that predates the Rivera regime, but is hopefully over now too.

It's also infuriating that Montez blew up and looked like Maxx Crosby literally the moment we traded him.  Wasting potential with trash coaching and scheming and getting into stupid personal agenda based feuds with our players because of trash culture is a big reason our players are so devalued, and why trading them has been such a losing game for us.  Even other bad franchises don't struggle with this like we do.  The Raiders are bad too, and do you think they'd trade Crosby for a second round pick?  Remember what they traded Khalil Mack for?  Why do we have to settle for these crap returns for our best players when other bad teams get full price for theirs?  This should be unacceptable to us, and hopefully it won't continue under the Peters regime.

I'm not mad at the trade, because it helped bring us the 2nd overall pick in the draft and cap flexibility. Trading Montez and Chase might be what brings us 10 years of stability at QB. 

But, to your point, watching Montez explode the moment after the trade makes JDR and Rivera look exactly as incompetent as they are. I can not believe that someone would look at the investments we made on D and our underperformance on that side of the ball, and consider bringing in Ron as a DC. The coaching of this team was every bit as bad as the drafting. Just embarrassingly bad. 

With regards to BPA vs going all in on offense, I am usually a BPA guy. I think you could make an argument this year to invest heavily in the offense. This draft, and maybe the Washington careers of our next HC and of Peters is in large part going to be determined by the success of the QB we choose. If you give that QB the absolute best OL and weapons and coaching that you can, you might win less games over the next year or two, but you may also make the team much more successful in the longer term. And, given all of the cap room we have, it doesn't really have to be either or. 

I'm curious what the rest of the board thinks about how much Peters not yet having his own guys and structure in place, and instead being saddled with our previous scouts and FO staff, is going to to affect the likelihood of him getting great results with our abundance of picks this year.  

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I'm curious what the rest of the board thinks about how much Peters not yet having his own guys and structure in place, and instead being saddled with our previous scouts and FO staff, is going to to affect the likelihood of him getting great results with our abundance of picks this year.  

One thing that stood out to me about Peter’s was his several mentions of collaboration. Specifically the last day of the draft the 49ers do a huddle and everyone has a say on who should be picked and why. I think that is something our team hasn’t had in a long time. Yeah it sucks he has to work with what he has, but that’s not to say that our scouts aren’t any worse than other teams. It was likely who we had making those final decisions that lead us to where we are. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

42 minutes ago, mh86 said:

One thing that stood out to me about Peter’s was his several mentions of collaboration. Specifically the last day of the draft the 49ers do a huddle and everyone has a say on who should be picked and why. I think that is something our team hasn’t had in a long time. Yeah it sucks he has to work with what he has, but that’s not to say that our scouts aren’t any worse than other teams. It was likely who we had making those final decisions that lead us to where we are. 

I forgot who it was, but one of the former scout now working as a media member hit on this point as why Ozzie Newsome was the greatest in his opinion.  He talked about how Newsome wanted to hear what everyone had to say and that he wouldn't come into meetings or decisions with preconceived notions.  

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

12 hours ago, ThatNFLChick said:

What about attacking ILB in FA? I kind of want to address the offense in the draft (so a full youth movement) and FA for the defense.

I'm all about LBer in FA. We have Davis in his last year I believe. I'd like to draft one probably early day three or sooner and sign a solid vet, not an up and comer, but someone like Wagner who can teach the young bucks. I want to see LBer go from a huge weakness, to an absolute strength and we;ve had no talent or leadership in that room.

They talked about fixing the middle of the team and we know that's not the DTs. LB and Safety are huge priorities. 

I think Butler was a bigger problem than Forbes last year.

8 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

It's usually how it is at this juncture.  Front offices upheavals happen typically after the draft not the months leading up to it.  

So he can't just of course take SF scouts with him, it would be a lateral move for them.  But I bet we see some additions soon.

The more I digest this last regime, the more I gather Tim Gribble was still good at his job but Ron was not.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Chump Bailey said:

I like Ellis too. Any of these guys on your radar?

*Brian Ugwu Miami Ohio has an excellent first step

Brennan Jackson Washington State 

Grayson Murphy UCLA

Gabriel Murphy UCLA 

Kaimon Rucker UNC

Adisa Isaac Penn State

Jack Sawyer Ohio State

Mohamed Kamara Colorado State

Barryn Sorrell Texas

Brian Ugwu Miami Ohio

Nelson Caeser Texas Tech

Braiden McGregor Michigan

Cedric Johnson Ole Miss

Marshawn Kneeland Western Michigan

Ashton Gillotte Louisville

Jasheen Davis Wake Forest

David Walker Central Arkansas

Connor O’Toole Utah

I'm going through your list and several of those names aren't on PFFs top 250 big board.  That suggests they aren't draft eligible, or that they are projected UDFAs.  I would really need to be sold on drafting a likely UDFA.  I'll watch the ones that are on PFFs board. That'll be:

Brennan Jackson

Gabriel Murphy

Grayson Murphy

Adisa Isaac

Mohamed Kamara

Brian Ugwu

Braiden McGregor

Cedric Johnson

Nelson Caesar

Marshawn Kneeland

Jasheen Davis

David Walker

I started with Brennan Jackson.  My take on him is future rotation player and maybe like a fifth round projection.  He's got good size and a really nice football IQ and a strong motor, and that's pretty much how he makes all of his plays.  Closing speed is pretty solid but the first step and CoD speed look average.  The bend looks solid.  Play strength is a little disappointing given his size, and the speed to power conversion looks pretty weak.  The big weakness I'm seeing is a near total lack of hand game and rush repertoire, both plan and moves/variety.  He doesn't use his hands at all, but he doesn't have the speed to get away with it like Latu.  Makes him really easy to control if the OT gets a decent set, and really easy to wash out of fits on run plays when he's the PoA, even by tight ends.  I also see a tackling issue that might tie in to the play strength being below what you'd want from a player his size.

He's a day three project to see if your coaches can find some hidden potential with IMO.  I wouldn't necessarily expect a Trey Hendrickson or Maxx Crosby like diamond in the rough with him.  What I want to see from a potential late round gem is something beyond great effort/IQ based play.  Some kind of elite athletic trait like strength, flexibility, or explosion.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm all about LBer in FA. We have Davis in his last year I believe. I'd like to draft one probably early day three or sooner and sign a solid vet, not an up and comer, but someone like Wagner who can teach the young bucks. I want to see LBer go from a huge weakness, to an absolute strength and we;ve had no talent or leadership in that room.

They talked about fixing the middle of the team and we know that's not the DTs. LB and Safety are huge priorities. 

I think Butler was a bigger problem than Forbes last year.

We are in agreement with needing to hit on at least one good LB in FA and one early on day 3 of the draft. I don't see them going for Wagner due to age and losing a step. There are however a number of good options that will be available. It is hard to label the right one until we know the DC. 

I really think they need to focus on offense in the first few rounds of the draft, QB, T, IOL, and WR. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

We are in agreement with needing to hit on at least one good LB in FA and one early on day 3 of the draft. I don't see them going for Wagner due to age and losing a step. There are however a number of good options that will be available. It is hard to label the right one until we know the DC. 

I really think they need to focus on offense in the first few rounds of the draft, QB, T, IOL, and WR. 

Maye, XL, Beebe, Paul, JPJ, Sinnott and then LBer and DE and another IOL

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Maye, XL, Beebe, Paul, JPJ, Sinnott and then LBer and DE and another IOL

Some of my absolute favorite so far are XL, Beebe and JPJ with Sinnott, Sanders or Stover...they all have different things to offer depending on the OC. I am with you on Sinnott being my personal fav...those to Kansas Staters were dominating 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Just now, DWinzit said:

Some of my absolute favorite so far are XL, Beebe and JPJ with Sinnott, Sanders or Stover...they all have different things to offer depending on the OC. I am with you on Sinnott being my personal fav...those to Kansas Staters were dominating 

Yeah, when I try and watch Sinnott, I keep shifting to Beebe and when I watch Beebe, I keep switching to Sinnott.

Baylor Cupp in the 7th, if he doesn't blow the ****ing doors off the combine in my #1 guy, Sinnott is second and I'd love to grab both.

• Thanks 3
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Yeah, when I try and watch Sinnott, I keep shifting to Beebe and when I watch Beebe, I keep switching to Sinnott.

Baylor Cupp in the 7th, if he doesn't blow the ****ing doors off the combine in my #1 guy, Sinnott is second and I'd love to grab both.

Agreed on Sinnott and Beebe. I was only watching Beebe but Sinnott kept showing up every where. 

How many times at the end of a bowl game win is the player the HC is hanging with an OG?

Beebe and Kileman were almost inseparable after the game lol

3 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Agreed on Sinnott and Beebe. I was only watching Beebe but Sinnott kept showing up every where. 

How many times at the end of a bowl game win is the player the HC is hanging with an OG?

Beebe and Kileman were almost inseparable after the game lol

He looks like an NFL player that's playing with college kids. I think he's the best OL in the draft and he'll lock down LG for the next 12 years as a probowler. 

Probably my favorite guy in this draft.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

Delving into the Safety's - Tyler Nubin reportedly ran a 4.74 40 in high school. Interesting tidbit to ponder. Obviously, his testing will be huge, but he is a quality player for sure regardless.   

Didn't Hamilton run a really bad 40? Nubin is a legit safety. 

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Beebee is my pick in rd 2 if we dont address LG in FA. 

I have a feeling we'll end up addressing LG in free agency. Jonah Jackson just seems like a sure-fire thing if we bring over Ben Johnson and their OL coach. I love hitting on the Guard at 36/40 because that is the prime spot for them, but I have a feeling we go into the draft needing OT and not OG with Jackson, Cosmi, Paul and Wylie in the mix at Guard. 

FA will be telling. If we sign someone like Onwenu to play RT then maybe LG is in play in R2. If we sign a LG, then I'd think we hit OT in R2. Probably to play RT and potentially move to LT once Leno's deal is up after this year. 

I'm not really willing to write off Stromberg at Center yet. With a new OL coach, I think he could be really good, and the FO may feel the same. But I think LG, RT, C, LT are all on the table depending on how FA shakes out, and particularly if we keep Leno around. 

If we signed Onwenu to play RT, we could draft an OT at #36 to play LT and cut Leno. Wylie could kick to LG to compete with a R3 pick, and if Stromberg is the answer at Center then our OL is set. But we could double-tap OL in FA, signing a Jonah Jackson AND a Michael Onwenu, which would then open up the draft to all sorts of possibilities. Could still go OT in R2 to play LT or RT opposite Onwenu. 

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 1