Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

29 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

IMO DeShaun Watson is the NFL comparison for Daniels.  Kind of a middle class man's version of DeShaun.  He's skinnier and less aggressive and wasn't as good as early in his college career as DeShaun.  DeShaun is a risk taker who gets hit hard too.  I'll never forget the hit Reuben Foster put on him on a scramble in the CFP game that Clemson won in the final minute.  He popped back up from that right away and you could see it kind of broke Bama's spirit.

DeShaun without the personal demons (hopefully) feels like a really strong endorsement for Daniels.  It's why I like him as a top five pick. That third rounder nonsense about him is pure idiocy.

Weren't you the same person who said Malik Willis falling out of the top 10 was pure idiocy as well?

As far as Daniels he's a distant 3rd for me right now after Williams and Maye. But to be honest I might actually put Bo Nix ahead of him soon, after I've started watching some of Nix's cutups.

22 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Weren't you the same person who said Malik Willis falling out of the top 10 was pure idiocy as well?

As far as Daniels he's a distant 3rd for me right now after Williams and Maye. But to be honest I might actually put Bo Nix ahead of him soon, after I've started watching some of Nix's cutups.

I liked Malik Willis the best of those QB options, but he was never a top ten lock like Daniels is.  The guy who posted that about Daniels reads like a troll.

Why would you think to put Bo Nix over Daniels if you haven't watched him yet?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I liked Malik Willis the best of those QB options, but he was never a top ten lock like Daniels is.  The guy who posted that about Daniels reads like a troll.

Why would you think to put Bo Nix over Daniels if you haven't watched him yet?

Maybe I'm thinking of someone else then. There was someone here who was convinced that Willis was sure-fire top 5 pick and future superstar and wouldn't hear any arguments to the contrary.

As far as Bo Nix, I probably wasn't clear enough in my statement. When I said "after I've started watching some of Nix's cutups" I was saying that I have started watching him recently and if my initial thoughts hold after watching more, he may overtake Daniels for me.

33 minutes ago, Conn said:

24.2 mph?? That can’t be correct lol

Pads/helmet/gear can’t subtract that much speed from the fastest guys in the NFL

The only thing I can think of is there are other factors limiting speed in football compared to rugby other than equipment.  Runway size?  The necessity of protecting yourself?  In rugby they have way more restrictions on how you can hit players.

Wonder if that 24 mph even happened in a match? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Maye does not have accuracy issues. He does occasionally miss throws because of sloppy footwork but thats coachable. 

It's not just occasionally. He also makes catches more difficult for the WR's preventing YAC or leading to some drops.

The recipient on a screen pass should be catching it with the ball leading him in the right direction instead of having to jump for it. But that happens too often.

He's got some beautiful throws mixed in, so it's not like he's hopeless. But it is a concern, especially the way he lost to an atrocious Virginia team. If he hit more of the opportunities he had, he blows the doors off Virginia early and it's not a game anymore.

I'm not against drafting Maye, I'm just guessing he doesn't start the season, and sits and develops for awhile.

Mahomes and Love are two recent examples of that working.

P.S. None of these QB's are Burrow. Day 1 ready to play. We could get lucky and have a Herbert situation where he figures out what's wrong and fixes it in off-season. But that seems rare. Herbert as a prospect was also not as good as we remember. That guy had issues too. Most of them do, unless you're Burrow.

I think one of the accuracy issues with Maye is that he'll try to make superman throws where he doesn't set his feet, is falling backwards, on one foot, etc. But the guys who can do that just...can. IMO that's just a natural talent. And the QBs who can do it are very few and far between. Williams is one of them. Maye isn't, even though he does have a big arm. He's really going to need to get his footwork and mechanics more consistent when he gets to the NFL. Because some of those inaccurate balls that were incompletions in college will quickly turn into interceptions in the NFL.

Edited by mistertim

21 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

It's not just occasionally. He also makes catches more difficult for the WR's preventing YAC or leading to some drops.

The recipient on a screen pass should be catching it with the ball leading him in the right direction instead of having to jump for it. But that happens too often.

He's got some beautiful throws mixed in, so it's not like he's hopeless. But it is a concern, especially the way he lost to an atrocious Virginia team. If he hit more of the opportunities he had, he blows the doors off Virginia early and it's not a game anymore.

I'm not against drafting Maye, I'm just guessing he doesn't start the season, and sits and develops for awhile.

P.S. None of these QB's are Burrow. Day 1 ready to play. We could get lucky and have a Herbert situation where he figures out what's wrong and fixes it in off-season. But that seems rare. Herbert as a prospect was also not as good as we remember. That guy had issues too. Most of them do, unless you're Burrow.

Maye is starting day one. The only ones who dont are ones on teams with established high quality starting QBs.

Mayes issues are nowhere near a death knell. Hell start year 1 and develop into a high quality starter. By 2025 hell be a Pro Bowl candidate.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

A lot of the Maye issues are footwork issues but some of his misses are head scratching because he isn't being pressured. It's just bad mechanics. The question is are the mechanics fixable?

Also Matt Waldman (whom I pay attention to because be called Lamar, Mahomes and Allen potential stars in his draft profiles of them) did some breakdowns of Maye

Edited by ThatNFLChick
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Paired with a coach like Johnson or Slowik you will see Maye skyrocket. Remember folks, hes only 21. Hes 2-3 years younger than his peers. Thats a massive difference.

JJ is younger than Drakey. 🤓

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

A lot of the Maye issues are footwork issues but some of his misses are head scratching because he isn't being pressured. It's just bad mechanics. The question is are the mechanics fixable?

Also Matt Waldman (whom I pay attention to because be called Lamar, Mahomes and Allen potential stars in his draft profiles of them) did some breakdowns of Maye

Mechanics are always fixable. The question isn’t are they… it’s will they.

And I’ve been saying that for a month or so about Maye. His mechanics stink.

Which, ironically, has been what has made me like him more. You can’t reach arm talent, size, strength, speed, athleticism.

You can teach rocker steps and platform.

12 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Maye is starting day one. The only ones who dont are ones on teams with established high quality starting QBs.

Well that's not true.

2023, all three 1st round QB's started immediately.

• Did Start Day 1: NA
  • Did not Start Day 1: Kenny Pickett

• Did Start Day 1: Mac Jones, Trevor Lawrence, Zach Wilson
  • Did not Start Day 1: Justin Fields, Trey Lance

• Did Start Day 1: Burrow
  • Did not Start Day 1: Tua Tagovailoa, Justin Herbert, Jordan Love

• Did Start Day 1: Kyler Murray
  • Did not Start Day 1: Daniel Jones, Dwayne Haskins

• Did Start Day 1: Sam Darnold
  • Did not Start Day 1: Baker Mayfield, Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, Josh Rosen

• Did Start Day 1: Deshaun Watson
  • Did not Start Day 1: Mitch Trubisky, Patrick Mahomes

I could go back earlier but you get the point. 10 started Day 1 and 14 did not. There were not 14 high quality starters ahead of them.

12 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Mayes issues are nowhere near a death knell. Hell start year 1 and develop into a high quality starter. By 2025 hell be a Pro Bowl candidate.

I did not say death knell or anything like it. You don't want him developing bad habits when things don't work out, and thereby slowing development even further. Things can and have snowballed for prospects, where one thing going wrong creates another and another.

Someone compiled a chart for the top 6 QBs.

I haven't finished Nix tape but based on this and other metrics I can see why a lot of people are saying he's going to be rated higher than some think

20240119_100802.jpg

Edited by ThatNFLChick

This is all going to be so different for us this year.  We actually have a GM that is making the selections.  Not since Scot M. has the team had that.  Now, we have one that, I rate as the next up and coming Bobby Beathard because of his great success of picking mid-late round gems and sometimes hitting on 1st/2nd round picks too.  It's all up in the air until we see Adam Peters, the HC and Harris get together and give their opinions and then Peters have the final say and draft the players.  Buckle up! :) 

17 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Jaheim Bell, size wise and among other things reminds me some of a dude i liked (not loved) Brevin Jordan years back.  Jordan had a monster play in the playoffs last week.  He's been ok but nothing killer so far in his career.   Mid to late rounds, I'd be good rolling the dice.

Excellent comp with Brevin Jordan. 

Too bad Iowa TE Luke Lachey is returning to school. I'd really like him for the Commanders. 

Edited by Chump Bailey
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

Excellent comp with Brevin Jordan. 

Too bad Iowa TE Luke Lachey is returning to school. I'd really like him for the Commanders. 

Agree on Lachey, he was my choice for us.

• Thumb up 1

15 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Do people keep repeating things are going to be different in order to convince themselves? Let’s talk prospects. 

I changed the title of the QB thread, hoping all of the QB talk would go there.35,40,66, even 100, 103, 135 are awesome picks. 

That's 6 great chances to build this roster.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Commander202 said:

We might surround the roster with more depth so that the next qb that comes can be successful. Thats just me I mean if someone told me we can get a starting LT and maybe Bowers or Dallas turner all in the first I’d be very tempted .

I would not be, but I wonder about your and Ilone and a few other peoples takes on these 2 QB's.

Is the concern, your convinced he's a bust, and a stupid pick on the scale of say Zach Wilson in '21, or Danny Nickels in '19, or the speculative upside play that failed like Lance in '21?

I get someone saying trade down if they just have this sense of being absolutely convinced this QB prospect is a total trainwreck 100%. We all have guys we were sure of, and while I can't say everyone was or is right about them all the time, there are some that are not surprising in the slightest? Even if I had liked Gabbert or Bortles as prospects, something as utterly innane as not believing for a second in a QB named "Blaine or Blake" would be in play for me lol. Now add their CV's and I just never for a second thought either of those guys had any chance at all of hitting. Despite playing in dozens of leagues I never owned either of them in dynasty or keeper. Forget it. In more recent years guys that had that tag for me included Trubisky, Danny Nickels, Zach Wilson, and Pickett. Sometimes you just have zero faith in a prospect, in terms of evaling QB's, I'm crap at it like everyone else, but I am fairly good in terms of calling "this guy will suck" for day 1 and day 2 picks. It's rare that a guy like Josh Allen comes around, whom I hated (so absurdly innacurate in a bunk conference that I never believed it for a second) and they actually hit.

So is it that?

Or is it more, you're just not 100% sold and you need to feel totally sold to take a risk at the top of a draft at QB?

I get why people would be upset for scenario 1, but for scenario 2, which I've seen some people post as, I just don't get it. It's the most inexact of sciences, but even w/that being said, the top 2 guys in this class have had really elite grades for the past 2-3 years (2 for Drake), these guys have been considered the very best of the QB's from the '21-'25 era not named Trevor Lawrence. This isn't dice rolling on Nickels, Lance, Wilson, Mac Jones, Pickett, Bryce Young's size, CJ Strouds test score, Richardson's rawness etc. The eval, likely (I'm speculating) would put them above nearly every QB selected since '12. I would guess the only guys that might be higher would probably be some of this group:

Winston

Kyler

Burrow

Tua pre injury

Lawrence

I'm not sure how the '18 guys would compare because while they all had high grades, I don't think any of the 5 dudes from '18 were considered Lawrence, Luck level prospects. All of them had flaws. 

And if you can't like a QB in this class, lets be honest, you basically like QB's about once a decade, in which case this is kinda pointless, to me anyway. You don't get Lawrence/Luck level prospects on the regular. In my lifetime, it was basically 1983, maybe Steve Young USFL in I think '84, Aikman in '89, Bledsoe in '93, Couch in '99, Vick in '01, Eli/Rivers/Ben Roth in '04, the Stafford/Ryan/Bradford (I was never a bradford guy)/Newton/Luck run from '08 or '07 to '12, and then Kyler '19, Burrow '20, Lawrence '21. It is not frequent at all, and the current run ('17, '18, '20-'21, '23-'24) is exceptionally unusual, most decades are like 2000-2014 were, where there's a great group about once every half decade and that's about it. 

Anyway, I'm just confused about the aversion. Really confused. Unless it's "I've spotted a bust and I'm positive this guy is Wilson part II", it doesn't make sense to me. This is one of those rare years where there are guys at the top with all the traits, and all the skills you want, and we lucked into it. This could have been 2013, 2014, 2016 (I hated those two prospects), 2019 minus Kyler, 2022, or almost all of the aughts other than '04, when nearly every class sucked until the end of the decade. It isn't. It's a very deep group and top heavy too. I don't get the fear. This isn't the speculation that Goff, Mariota to some extent, Wentz, Zach Wilson, Trey Lance, Danny Nickels, Pickett etc were, these guys have been promised for years. It's not a forced up QB, it's a tier 1 QB. 

• Like 2