Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

4 hours ago, Chump Bailey said:

I sure hope that's the case. Also, while I'm sure most of the coaches will be gone, Ron's path is still much in question and there is a possibility, perhaps not a strong one, that remnants of the FO remain in place for another year. 

That might be the most depressing thing I've read in a very long time lol

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DazedSkinsfan said:

That might be the most depressing thing I've read in a very long time lol

Sorry. Don't mind me. I'm likely way off base. I initially thought the new ownership had no prior NFL experience and that was my primary concern about perhaps retaining some of the current FO structure. Turns out that is not the case so it should be a complete overhaul. which I'm fully aboard with.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RWJ said:

Do me a favor. Do you have a link to show they have a "5 of the bottom 10 OL in the NFL", IrepDC?  Kindly, post it.  It's bad but can you post that link.  

Gates, Charles, Larsen, Wylie, and Paul all have been rated in the bottom 10 at various points throughout the season. I don't stockpile those reports when they come out, but this has been commentary given by commentators in the games as well.

Edited by IrepDC

15 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Small technicality here. Sam Howell is on pace to break sacked records, but the Commanders are not.

image.png.87cf5b07533c24eda5af37850742b1d5.png

image.png.956c15f9fcbc300a163447091eb91240.png

Edit: Actually Sam Howell is on pace to TIE the infamous David Carr sack record of 76 in one season. Take that incompetence!

Technically or literally that many sacks is also a failure by an OL room. The tape backs it up. 

If the Commanders convince themselves it's actually the WRs, QB, TEs, defense etc. that should be a priority, I won't be surprised. You have holes at both Edges, LB, CB, and possibly S on defense; and the big boys don't just have guys, they have depth; so the Commanders have a lot of work to do on team building.

I am simply stating my personal opinion. I would follow Green Bay's approach when they neglected rooms on their roster, and go heavy handed to turn that room into a room with tons of youth and depth. Especially when there were drafts with extra talent in those positions. The Commanders don't have to follow that attack plan when it's right there for them to do. Who will be the GM is the question.

Edited by IrepDC

10 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

Gates, Charles, Larsen, Wylie, and Paul all have been rated in the bottom 10 at various points throughout the season. I don't stockpile those reports when they come out, but this has been commentary given by commentators in the games as well.

Not names a link. :) 

21 hours ago, DWinzit said:

I could see hi squeak into the end of round one. He has what teams need, especially this team!

I'd love a Vet C flanked by Beebe and Cosmi with Fuaga and Fashanu on the outsides

Yes, the draft process can be unpredictable. I've seen reports with him anywhere from late round 1 to late round 3. Maybe enough guys have super combines that move football players like Beebe down a bit.

33 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don’t think you need a link. Watching it tells the story.

True KDawg but  @IrepDC should say IMO or JMO rather than make a statement and not back it up with a link.  JMO.  :) It's all good.  We are all different.  :) 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

Technically or literally that many sacks is also a failure by an OL room. The tape backs it up. 

If the Commanders convince themselves it's actually the WRs, QB, TEs, defense etc. that should be a priority, I won't be surprised. You have holes at both Edges, LB, CB, and possibly S on defense; and the big boys don't just have guys, they have depth; so the Commanders have a lot of work to do on team building.

I am simply stating my personal opinion. I would follow Green Bay's approach when they neglected rooms on their roster, and go heavy handed to turn that room into a room with tons of youth and depth. Especially when there were drafts with extra talent in those positions. The Commanders don't have to follow that attack plan when it's right there for them to do. Who will be the GM is the question.

The team needs a major re-do.  The roster isn't stronger after 4 years of Rivera - just different problem areas.  I hope that the new GM puts a major emphasis on making a young QB's job easier (whether Howell remains the starter or we have a new QB):  Better OL, new TE, 3rd down back to complement B Rob and Rodriguez, rework the WR group to add a variety of talent etc.  Go heavy handed on the Offense even at the complete lack of investment in the Defense.  I would rather keep Howell upright and give up 30 points a game than to have a mediocre offense and mediocre defense.  We will pick high in year 2 - we can be patient with a good GM - we already endured twenty years of false hope and bad FOs.  I'd consider trade down opportunities to accumulate an additional 2nd or 3rd round pick and again invest in the Offense where appropriate.  Within reason, of course! 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

If we cant get Williams, Maye, or Daniels then we should look for OT first pick. The combination of the caliber of these qbs THIS year and us picking high which we normally dont do you HAVE to grab the potential elite qb when you can. Next year qbs right now dont look as elite as this year.

1 minute ago, YouLikeThat said:

If we cant get Williams, Maye, or Daniels then we should look for OT first pick. The combination of the caliber of these qbs THIS year and us picking high which we normally dont do you HAVE to grab the potential elite qb when you can. Next year qbs right now dont look as elite as this year.

IF the Commanders choose to go that route, it will require a GM with foresight and a fortunate FA haul in the OL room.

54 minutes ago, Commander202 said:

Jayden Daniels .

not gonna lie big fan of him 

The guy can play. But the way he plays has season ending injury written all over it. I like the player. But I'm not picking him in the top 10. Not even sure I would take him in the first round. 

• Like 1

The Washington Qb Penix is beleaved to drop in this draft. He is expected to have some major medical redflags that could drop him to second round. 

I don't think we need a Qb, Howell been ok this year, I like to get another look next season at him before moving on.

Edited by Redskins 2021

Powers-Johnson and Van Pran are my early projected top two Centers the Commanders may be in position to draft day 2 or 3. This tape is prior to Van Pran's Senior film this year; where he has grown. A 4 year contributor, 3 year starter on the Georgia OL. He has strengths with some reps showing athleticism completing open field blocks. He has reps where he anchors smoothly and attaches to his defender, with good hand positioning. He has room to grow and be coached up, but I like his pedigree and experience at C.

Powers-Johnson shows some of the similar open field blocking reps you see from Van Pran. Powers-Johnson is a bit more intentional in his combo blocking in the run game. His anchoring isn’t as smooth as Van Pran, but it is still effective.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

Powers-Johnson and Van Pran are my early projected top two Centers the Commanders may be in position to draft day 2 or 3. This tape is prior to Van Pran's Senior film this year; where he has grown. A 4 year contributor, 3 year starter on the Georgia OL. He has strengths with some reps showing athleticism completing open field blocks. He has reps where he anchors smoothly and attaches to his defender, with good hand positioning. He has room to grow and be coached up, but I like his pedigree and experience at C.

van Pran was up and down the other night. I was posting about him in this thread during the game. I will say when crunch time came on their final drive he was fantastic and dominant. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Redskins 2021 said:

The Washington Qb Penix is beleaved to drop in this draft. He is expected to have some major medical redflags that could drop him to second round. 

I don't think we need a Qb, Howell been ok this year, I like to get another look next season at him before moving on.

Yeah he's way too volatile of a prospect and his advanced age scares me. This isn't 21 year old Lamar Jackson carrying a perennial "meh" school in Louisville type prospect. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, IrepDC said:

Powers-Johnson shows some of the similar open field blocking reps you see from Van Pran. Powers-Johnson is a bit more intentional in his combo blocking in the run game. His anchoring isn’t as smooth as Van Pran, but it is still effective.

Yeah, he'd make for a good addition. I agree with your assessment. While I've not watched Stromberg this year I did like his tape from school. I like the idea of them playing alongside of one another and I'm not ready to throw in the towel on Cosmi yet either, though I thought he would have performed much better than he's shown thus far. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IrepDC said:

I'm liking Bryce Foster Texas A&M as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

The guy can play. But the way he plays has season ending injury written all over it. I like the player. But I'm not picking him in the top 10. Not even sure I would take him in the first round. 

His value is too tied into being a runner, which so far hasn't been a Super Bowl quality for NFL QBs.  But probably the bigger issue is what you say. He has RG3's body and propensity for taking huge hits. 

Maybe he'll be a star, but I wouldn't touch him unless it was a trade up too like pick 30-32 (for the 5th year option). And maybe not then. 

• Like 1