Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

Lets see what the new regime looks like. If we get a guy like Frank Smith from Miami as the new HC, I could see players wanting to play for him.

I wanna keep McLaurin because I want to be an offensive based team and I still believe he's a quality #1 WR, just not a dominant elite one. The possibility of pairing him with Harrison jr or Bowers is tempting and I think a new offensive minded coach could really do some damage with a group of weapons like that.

• Like 2

I'm perfectly fine shedding our core. Especially since Allen/Payne are being paid big $$ and we have two "solid" options behind them (supposedly). If there is a position to shed a player from without being totally screwed, it's DT. I don't know what Allen would command in a trade given his big contract, but if he wants to go I am happy to accomodate that for both him and the team, long-term.

Payne just got extended so I don't know if his contract is really moveable at this point. I assume Allen's is more trade-friendly since he's further into his deal. 

A few years ago the Packers were rightfully called out by Aaron Rodgers for neglecting their WR and TE rooms. Since then, the team has went heavy handed on both rooms, and the Packers WR and TE rooms are now deep with youth and talent developing together.

The Commanders would be wise to take a similar approach with the OL. The Commanders goal should be bringing in 3 of the top 15 OL, if not 4 of the top 25, in the upcoming draft class. This is the perfect draft class to revamp an OL. There is great LT, RT, LG, and C talent set up to be there at each of the Commanders picks.

Don't get cute. Don't over think it. Your OL room is likely the weakest in the NFL. This is a draft class with tons of OL talent. Get 4 of those top 25 OL: a scenario, for example, where you bring in Fashanu, Paul, Powers-Johnson, and Beebe changes the trajectory of your franchise.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, IrepDC said:

Don't get cute. Don't over think it. Your OL room is likely the weakest in the NFL. This is a draft class with tons of OL talent. Get 4 of those top 25 OL: a scenario, for example, where you bring in Fashanu, Paul, Powers-Johnson, and Beebe changes the trajectory of your franchise.

Yes, always want to take advantage of the strength of positions in the draft...like us missing on grabbing a TE or LB in the mid rounds. Nail down at least two OL this draft which are the most needed positions we have as it turns out. Of course LB and TE are still needs but the draft is not strong for them this year.

Just now, DWinzit said:

Yes, always want to take advantage of the strength of positions in the draft...like us missing on grabbing a TE or LB in the mid rounds. Nail down at least two OL this draft which are the most needed positions we have as it turns out. Of course LB and TE are still needs but the draft is not strong for them this year.

Packers drafted Musgrave and Kraft out of last year's deep TE class, and that room went from an afterthought to actually a reliable outlet for Love immediately. I personally believe Howell, or any other QB, will look a lot different when they have professional level protection. The Commanders offense is panic mode every rep because the OL is so bad. I laugh at some of the heat Howell, the RBs, WRs, and even EB gets from fans, because I don't think we really comprehend how ridiculously bad this OL is. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, IrepDC said:

Packers drafted Musgrave and Kraft out of last year's deep TE class, and that room went from an afterthought to actually a reliable outlet for Love immediately. I personally believe Howell, or any other QB, will look a lot different when they have professional level protection. The Commanders offense is panic mode every rep because the OL is so bad. I laugh at some of the heat Howell, the RBs, WRs, and even EB gets from fans, because I don't think we really comprehend how ridiculously bad this OL is. 

Yup - Should always partake in the strength of the draft along with your BPA/Needs being addressed. It's just smart drafting due to the value in the later rounds of deeper positions. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Look at how many of our fans have bailed and all we have to do is watch and try and find something to enjoy.

These guys have to give their entire everything and sacrifice a large part of their short careers. 

This is going to be an awesome offsason and things are going to change. 

I agree with this.  As doom and gloom some feel, I think we can do this quickly

• Like 4

Just now, IrepDC said:

I completely agree in all aspects of your post other than the EB mention. I have just found he has opportunity to put the players in better spots and has been a fail. The other item on that note is he believed in much of the OL and TE talent and went down a minimal upgrade mode. He is absolutely responsible for Wylie I assume at least partially regarding Gates, two miserable misses. But back to the point, YES, this OL needs to be blown up and the offense (heck, the whole team) hopefully receives much better coaching in the future

Just now, KDawg said:

Yup - Should always partake in the strength of the draft along with your BPA/Needs being addressed. It's just smart drafting due to the value in the later rounds of deeper positions. 

Howell and the Commanders are in a fortunate position with the OL talent this year. The way those top 100 picks are set up, the team will likely in position to get the best of the LT, RT, LG, AND C talent. Take your pick, or pick them all, but it'll be there for the taking. 

In the extreme outcome where the Commanders bring in 3 or 4 of these top OL guus, I see the chances of Howell having a breakout year next year increase substantially. That's the biggest impact possibility vs. any other addition to the roster (QB, TE, DE, etc.).

• Like 5

Just now, IrepDC said:

Howell and the Commanders are in a fortunate position with the OL talent this year. The way those top 100 picks are set up, the team will likely in position to get the best of the LT, RT, LG, AND C talent. Take your pick, or pick them all, but it'll be there for the taking. 

In the extreme outcome where the Commanders bring in 3 or 4 of these top OL guus, I see the chances of Howell having a breakout year next year increase substantially. That's the biggest impact possibility vs. any other addition to the roster (QB, TE, DE, etc.).

200.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Rumblings on twitter of Allen wanting to be traded but from no credible source yet.  If so, there will be teams that want him.  Unfortunately, Payne sticks with us until we have an out which comes in 2026 per Spotrac:  Daron Payne Contract Breakdowns, Salary Cap Figures, Salaries, Bonuses | Spotrac

I almost don't care about who we can take in the draft just as long as we have a good GM in place.

Ron should have been fired earlier today, the search process should already be started and they should be lining up candidates to interview for the millisecond that the negotiation period can start.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

This is true and I agree.  Will the new GM agree as our D stunk it up too?  We can use the money we have in FA to try and fix the D best we can.  We need OLmen so bad.  

7 minutes ago, RWJ said:

This is true and I agree.  Will the new GM agree as our D stunk it up too?  We can use the money we have in FA to try and fix the D best we can.  We need OLmen so bad.  

I agree with the Commanders spending in FA for their defense. Go heavy on the OL in the draft. A competent GM can do that with 90 million and all those picks. Another incompetent GM will waste it.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

3 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

I agree with the Commanders spending in FA for their defense. Go heavy on the OL in the draft. A competent GM can do that with 90 million and all those picks. Another incompetent GM will waste it.

Agreed.  

26 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

No doubt it they want to win now, building around Howell is the quicker way to go.  You got 2 years left of him on the cheap, so you really have to try anyway.

I am though agnostic on any particular course.  i am boring.   My hardcore point is there is no obvious course to take. 

A.  I am good with building around Howell and ignoring QB.

B.  I am good with taking a QB.

C.  I am good staying pat and going O line early

D.  I am good with taking Harrison Jr., if he falls, probably Bowers, too.  And then using the rest of the high picks and FA on O line.

E.  I am good with trading down.

My argument is there is no obvious answer in that mix, I can go to town on any of these points.  The only hardline point I have is I am not taking Fashanu or Alt over Harrison Jr.  And this coming from one of the people here who is higher than most on both O lineman.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My argument is there is no obvious answer in that mix, I can go to town on any of these points.  The only hardline point I have is I am not taking Fashanu or Alt over Harrison Jr.  And this coming from one of the people here who is higher than most on both O lineman.

If you do that, with Harrison Jr, your next 3 picks better be OL, and you better have a FA signing at LT that is an improvement. I like Harrison Jr so I get it, but you have to go something like Powers-Johnson, Paul, and Beebe next three picks in order to not completely waste Harrison Jr's potential. 

I've watched game tapes of Beebe as well, and he wins his reps consistently and smartly. He is a great teammate when it comes to combo blocks, chipping, passing rushers off, and picking up blitzers. Everything the Commanders offense doesn't have. He's a top 20 OL in this year's deep OL class. I see him as a great fit for the Commanders on day 2 or 3, depending on the draft process.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I agree with this as well. Good coaching will go a long way towards a respectable team. Ron completely neglected coaching on the OL. I dont even think we have an OL coach this year. And those talking about drafting 3 or 4 OL. You cant do that. You need a balance of youth and age in the room. Someone needs to be the old man to help young guys transition into the NFL. We already have young guys in the room as well. So unless you are prepared to just cut them outright you need to keep some experience in there. I am fine with doubling up in round two if you dont get your tackle in round one. Say for example we end up at 3 and both QB's go1-2. I am drafting Harrison at that point and doubling up OL in round 2. KJ Henry has flashed enough for me as a edge piece. You can go edge and TE or Edge and CB/LB in round three. 

• Like 1

Allen will have more information than us in terms of the trade deadline offer for him. That interest may still be there. Couple of picks like a 2 and 4 in the 2024 draft and you’d have to take that seriously. 

1 minute ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Agreed, we would just need to buckle-up for some rough early season growing pains. It's tough to start rookies all over the OL. But if we rip the bandaid off in 2024 we'll be in great shape going forward.

Hopefully we draft at least 2 OL starters. The FA class doesn’t currently look great but perhaps we lure a more than decent vet in as well. 

2 hours ago, IrepDC said:

I've watched game tapes of Beebe as well, and he wins his reps consistently and smartly. He is a great teammate when it comes to combo blocks, chipping, passing rushers off, and picking up blitzers. Everything the Commanders offense doesn't have. He's a top 20 OL in this year's deep OL class. I see him as a great fit for the Commanders on day 2 or 3, depending on the draft process.

I could see hi squeak into the end of round one. He has what teams need, especially this team!

I'd love a Vet C flanked by Beebe and Cosmi with Fuaga and Fashanu on the outsides

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Agreed, we would just need to buckle-up for some rough early season growing pains. It's tough to start rookies all over the OL. But if we rip the bandaid off in 2024 we'll be in great shape going forward.

Just need an OC that understands how to develop talent, not some idiot that wants to launch it 40 yards every down.

• Like 1