Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 NFL Draft Watch and Post Thread - The Hangover Special

KDawg

My wife walked in shortly after our pick, took one look at me and said, “Uh oh…that’s the same look you had on your face when they took Haskins.”

There is plenty to like about Forbes, but even at corner it’s tough to have a player on your defense who is too small to tackle in the NFL. 

The leaking of our draft pick preference is unforgivable. Otherwise, New England would have stayed where they were and taken Gonzalez, and we would’ve had OT Broderick Jones, a much better value pick. Ron and co. look like incompetent fools on this.

Since we are apparently drafting off Fred Smoot’s board, I would expect the second round pick to be Darnell Washington, which would be great!

I am really looking forward to new ownership. Hopefully next year we will have an actual qualified competent GM running the show for the first time since the 90’s

• Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, woodpecker said:

The leaking of our draft pick preference is unforgivable. Otherwise, New England would have stayed where they were and taken Gonzalez, and we would’ve had OT Broderick Jones, a much better value pick. Ron and co. look like incompetent fools on this.

I don't believe this is correct.  I think the rumor is the Jets were planning on taking Jones at 15, and panicked when the Steelers jumped them.  So really, we lost the chance to draft Will McDonald IV.  You losing sleep over that?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, woodpecker said:

My wife walked in shortly after our pick, took one look at me and said, “Uh oh…that’s the same look you had on your face when they took Haskins.”

There is plenty to like about Forbes, but even at corner it’s tough to have a player on your defense who is too small to tackle in the NFL. 

Since we are apparently drafting off Fred Smoot’s board, I would expect the second round pick to be Darnell Washington, which would be great!

I am really looking forward to new ownership. Hopefully next year we will have an actual qualified competent GM running the show for the first time since the 90’s

So the Jets at 15 are passing on Jones?  Their biggest need was OL.  There was a reason they took the entire 10 minutes trying to trade down.  We were never getting any of the top OL.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Maybe.

Let's flip it around.  If the Steelers had Chase Young and we offered Pick 49 and a future pick for him, would you be happy about that?

What the future pick if he performs well do we get there 1st. I think we should keep Montez. We played almost last 2 years without Young we can't sign both of them.

Edited by Redskins 2021

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I bet Davis and Dean had some say in the pick. Seriously strong leadership on that team too.

It's basically a swing for the fences, Charles Haley, type selection, where you've already got a great roster, and if he can hit, and get his house in order, holy ---- is that team good and if you miss, well, you just came a whisker away from beating (and playing with the whole game) the best team in the NFL over the past four seasons. So it's basically a big fat swing for the fences with noted low floor risk if he's a mental case/criminally minded pos, but if he can get his act together, BOOM! 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, woodpecker said:

He played in the SEC and thrived....he'll be fine. Just think about the things he can do and has done at a high level. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, woodpecker said:

Where did you get this information? I know nothing on the guy beyond the reports last night. But too small to tackle wasn't something I heard or read. 

12 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The Eagles keep stacking their roster in the trenches and keep adding great players.  And are masters of building draft capital.

For the most part I've liked Ron's drafts but this team doesn't play chess on par with the Eagles.  Much of that is on the owner.

The good news is everything I've read about Josh Harris gives me the vibe that he is a forward thinking dude and operates like the Eagles do.   Some of the reporters who cover both the Eagles and 76ers say expect this team to finally have a chance to catch up to the Eagles -- Harris craves and finds outside the box, aggressive style thinkers like Howie Roseman.  It wouldn't surprise me if the next GM comes from the Eagles FO.  

I would LOVE this.  It's the complete opposite of what we currently have.  Which ain't nearly good enough to contend with the best of the best.  

Can't wait for Harris.

I think this crew is very good at drafting and building a solid team. I think Forbes ends up as a home run for us.

I also think our FO plays way to safe and predictable. It'll be interesting to see what happens next year.

I like Ron in a FO leadership type of position, but not GM. The way that he is doing HC is the way that he should. Get good coordinators and get out of their way.

Be the figurehead of confidence and stability, which we have desperately needed since Gibbs II.

The Pats knowing we were drafting Forbes is not shocking. We're drafting an Olineman today and we all know that. 

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

The pats were aiming for a corner as well. It’s reasonable to believe they predicted what we would do based on good research and not on account of some mistake on our part. 

I do understand the people seeing evidence of incompetence. We have seen enough incompetence with the organization for people to legitimately and reasonably believe that there was some incompetence at play here.

• Like 2

My flashback on FB was about a post I made 7 years ago where I was happy with the Josh Doctson pick. 🤪

Michael Thomas went 24 picks later that year. Derrick Henry went 22 picks later that year. Tyreek Hill went in the 5th round that year.  

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, woodpecker said:

You and I must have different interpretations of being a good GM. Charley Casserly was kind of awful. Like every draft pick he made busted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

It really didnt matter though. If the Pats truly liked Gonzo they would have taken him at 14 if they couldnt find a trade partner and we still would have taken Forbes at 16. 

If there was a team who wanted to trade for Gonzalez or whomver but they were sure this team was locked into Forbes, its much easier to ignore this team as a potential trading partner.

It reminds me some of the year where we took Orkapo and Vinny said the team trading ahead of him so don't worry you don't have to trade with you, you'll get your guy, and they knew it was Orkapo

Perhaps I'm the village idiot here, but I would move up to around pick 35 or so to grab Will Levis.  We all know that having a franchise QB is "almost" required to win the Super Bowl, or to have sustained success.  The way I see it, Sam Howell has about a 1/5 chance of turning into a franchise QB.  Maybe Levis is at 1/4. Appears to have all the tools (particularly intelligence), but like so many others how will that translate to the pro game.... Put Howell and Levis on the roster and let them compete for the next 2 years, while Brissett fills the gaps.  I don't mind swinging and missing on a guy that got a 1/4 chance.

• Like 1