Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 NFL Draft Watch and Post Thread - The Hangover Special

KDawg

26 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Seems clear to me they really wanted out of the pick but no one called. So for me they then reached a little for what they perceived as a major need. Ballhawk DB.

I guess on the basis Branch is still on the board then he’d have been a reach too.

I feel like you understand what "reach" means. Forbes was ranked as a second rounder and we reached and took him in the first. Branch, Mayer, White, all first round ranked guys, so not a reach if they were drafted.

After looking at Forbes' on-field play and off-field interviews, I think he'll be a good cornerback, a dedicated football player,  and mesh well with the locker room. He showed lots of positives at the college level, and exhibited good combine metrics.   However, his slender frame does raise issues about being able to keep on the field for a full season, tackling runners, press performance at the line,  and fighting the larger WRs for the contested passes.  However, I suspect Forbes will eventually fill out his frame more over a season or two.

My main concern with this pick, is that this draft was deep in CBs, and great value at that position could still have been obtained, either by trading down in the first round or selecting a CB in the 2nd or 3rd round.  There were a lot of good players at positions of need available in Round-1, but due to the thinner depth of quality candidates, won't be available at 47 or later. So, while Forbes was not technically a reach, he showcases how Washington's FO drafting team didn't seem to be thinking very strategically during this first round, and opted to simply make what they felt was a safe pick when their turn came up.

Moreover, the speed of the pick makes it seem like they decided to stand pat at 16, regardless, and not fish for trades.  There were a lot a trades going on and Washington went conservative, during this trading frenzy. 😐 ... It's possible an extra 4th, or improved position in rounds 2 & 3 might have been out there if Washington was willing to move down a little.

Anyhow, time will tell how safe that pick is (and whether Forbes can replicate his college play and durability vs. NFL opponents).  However, if Gonzalez winds up really excelling at the NFL level, Ron's pick at 16 will still judged harshly by some local fans.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Going CB early for a FO who likes to draft early based on need IMO hurts the dominos some.

What’s interesting is that neither Mayhew nor Ron have taken a CB in the first before. Like ever. And I’m sure previous needs existed at the position. I can only take from that they think Forbes is the real deal. Time will tell I guess.

Just now, Wyvern said:

After looking at Forbes' on-field play and off-field interviews, I think he'll be a good cornerback, a dedicated football player,  and mesh well with the locker room. He showed lots of positives at the college level, and exhibited good combine metrics.   However, his slender frame does raise issues about being able to keep on the field for a full season, tackling runners, press performance at the line,  and fighting the larger WRs for the contested passes.  However, I suspect Forbes will eventually fill out his frame more over a season or two.

My main concern with this pick, is that this draft was deep in CBs, and great value at that position could still have been obtained, either by trading down in the first round or selecting a CB in the 2nd or 3rd round.  There were a lot of good players at positions of need available in Round-1, but due to the thinner depth of quality candidates, won't be available at 47 or later. So, while Forbes was not technically a reach, he showcases how Washington's FO drafting team didn't seem to be thinking very strategically during this first round, and opted to simply make what they felt was a safe pick when their turn came up.

Moreover, the speed of the pick makes it seem like they decided to stand pat at 16, regardless, and not fish for trades.  There were a lot a trades going on and Washington went conservative, during this trading frenzy. 😐 ... It's possible an extra 4th, or improved position in rounds 2 & 3 might have been out there if Washington was willing to move down a little.

Anyhow, time will tell how safe that pick is (and whether Forbes can replicate his college play and durability vs. NFL opponents).  However, if Gonzalez winds up really excelling at the NFL level, Ron's pick at 16 will still judged harshly by some local fans.

There were only two minor trades the rest of the draft, and the Jags did both.  We weren't trading all the way down to NYG for a 5th & 7th and in the division.  That is too light.  We weren't getting much from Buffalo to move all the way down to #27.  Mayhew said himself they got no calls.  We were in no mans lands in the draft with all the OL gone.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Est.1974 said:

I did.

I don’t really see OL as the need others do. Based on Ron repeatedly saying how FA helped us out, I’m not convinced he does either. 

I see another offensive playmaker as more of a need. I actually think your guy Gibbs may have been in play at 16. Lions went at 12 to beat someone.

I’d go TE or Hyatt. I think he could be seriously dangerous. DJax potential IMO.

My best receiver available is Charlie Jones and for me it's not close. But he's a slot guy and we don't need more of them. I don't see an X worth 47. Mingo comes into play later.

Mayer, Washington, LaPorta are all potential picks if we are drafting BPA.

Mauch, Bergeron, Dawand, Torrence are the best OL available. 

McBride, Achane, Charbonnet the best backs. 

Defensively Branch and Trenton Simpson are probably the two biggest standouts left.

• Like 1

Just now, KDawg said:

My best receiver available is Charlie Jones and for me it's not close. But he's a slot guy and we don't need more of them. I don't see an X worth 47. Mingo comes into play later.

Defensively Branch and Trenton Simpson are probably the two biggest standouts left.

Still good edge depth.

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I feel like you understand what "reach" means. Forbes was ranked as a second rounder and we reached and took him in the first. Branch, Mayer, White, all first round ranked guys, so not a reach if they were drafted.

That is just too subjective. After the combine and I would say Branch was deemed high second round material. So I would say going at 16 on him would be a reach. Mayer is a strange one. Likely won’t get passed GB at worst. But was he really ever top 10-15 material. Combine did him too. Rankings are all over the place.

Some would argue picks 14,15,16 were all reaches. Even 18. Others not. 

Forbes was early for my taste, think I’ve said that. I’d have gone Kincaid. But I don’t rate our CB group so it is what it is. And we had no trade offers available.

24 minutes ago, KDawg said:

They probably have a position in each round they are definitely going to hit. And they will draft it. No matter what. :ols:

I at least like Forbes. But I do not like Avila. I can tell you right now if we take him I'm going to be an unhappy camper. 

Yeah feels that way.  But agree once in awhile they will throw a curve out of the blue like the Mathis pick last year.

I don't get the vibe that a curveball is coming but will see.  They mostly seem to run on a script.

Keim mentioned Avila so they are definitely high on him.   I am not crazy about him but not as down on him as i think you are.    But he's like player #20 or so on my list of players in this round that i like right now.

My guess right now

Round 2:  O line round.  They trade down a little, and pick up another 5th.  Whomever is left between Dawand, Bergeron, Avilia, Steen, Torrence.  I suspect a tackle that i am not high on but I'll continue to not mention his name to avoid jinxing it. I haven't heard that Mauch is on the radar, but maybe him. 

Round 3:  Safety-LB especially with hybrid abilities.  Whomever is left between Henley (who Keim mentioned) Overshown, Martin.  (or maybe, J. Brown, Skinner, S. Brown, J. Robinson, A. Johnson)

Round 4:  the best edge or RB left.

Round 5 -- whichever spot they didn't take edge in the 4th so RB or edge

Round 6-7 -- they finally go some BPA but with need mixed in -- backup QB or TE or another o lineman or KR-WR -- maybe center. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Yep agree on Jones. I kinda like Tyler Scott but cooled a little recently. I’ve mention my man crush on Hyatt so he’d be my call. 

Granted we will need to address OL at some stage and irrespective of what I would like the smart money would go on OL at 47. 

My we bail out of 47 to add another 3rd or 4th.

4 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I agree a dude like Achane could come into play.

Regarding all the talk of OL that can play multiple positions, a name they like that could be in play even though it feels early is Steen. He fits their drafting

I would love Steen in the second.  He can play guard and tackle.  Plus you can't go wrong with Bama.  We need some size in this team to combat Philly's d-line.  

Edited by Daniel.redskins

4 minutes ago, Daniel.redskins said:

I would love Steen in the second.  He can play guard and tackle.  Plus you can't go wrong with Bama.  We need some size in this team to combat Philly's d-line.  

I’d love him in the third. Not 47.

After sleeping on it, I'm not mad with our pick. I don't like him @ 16 though, and I was honestly still getting over Wright going at 10. If he can get to 180 or a little more and not loose anything, I'll be fine with the pick. Wasn't my top CB, but I do see why they went after him. There wasn't a OL worth it, and no trades.

• Like 2

Reminder of our top 30 visits, these are the ones left on the board...

Top 30 Visits

O’Cyrus Torrence, OG, Florida (source)

Atonio Mafi, OG, UCLA (source)

Steve Avila, OG, TCU (source)

Demarvion Overshown, LB, Texas (source)

Terrell Smith, CB, Minnesota (source)

Hendon Hooker, QB, Tennessee (source)

Ricky Stromberg, C, Arkansas (source)

Joey Porter, Jr., CB, Penn State (source)

Brian Branch, S, Alabama (source)

D.J. Turner, CB, Michigan (source)

Jartavius Martin, SS/LB, Illinois (source)

Dorian Williams, LB, Tulane (source)

Kyle Soelle, LB, Arizona State (source)

Tyler Steen, OT, Alabama (source)

Garrett Williams, CB, Syracuse (source)

Braeden Daniels, G, Utah (source)

Keidron Smith, CB, Kentucky (source)

Devon Achane, RB, Texas A&M (source)

Ben VanSumeren, LB, Michigan State (source)

Brycen Tremayne, WR, Stanford (source)

Mason Brooks, OC, Mississippi (source)

Sidy Sow, OG, Eastern Michigan (source)

Matthew Bergeron, OT, Syracuse (source)

Joe Tippman, OC, Wisconsin (source)

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I keep forgetting that Darnell is still there.  Based on Keim, they like Laporta or Musgrave better.  But he didn't mention TEs this morning.  I am betting like I said last night, TE is out the window.  Because if they are fixated on O line -- IMO you almost have to do it now.  If they went O line in the first, CB IMO wasn't a must in the 2nd.  But if you go CB in the first and are driven by fixing those 2 spots -- feels like almost 100% they go O line in the 2nd.

Branch to me might be BPA if he falls.  But I doubt they double up on the secondary -- that's very Howie Roseman to do that -- not every Ron Rivera.

I'd be stunned if its RB.  I like McBride but not as much as you.  Achane-Charbonnet would be killer but I doubt it -- maybe the Eagles take one of them. 

Simpson would be interesting.  He can give them that position flex-hybrid they desire.  But apparently its a round too early for that on their shopping list -- Round 2 is for O line it looks. 

Sound like the two highest they are on is Bergeron (who we both like) and Avilia.  It's interesting and maube telling that Keim isn't mentioning Dawand. 

• Like 1

I know it has already been said, but it is amazing how many of you scream that we "should have traded back" as if we can force another team to trade with us.  We may not have had a choice, get a grip people :)

Anyway, my stupid thought of the day.  If Porter or Ringo drop, any interest in doubling up at the position.  Heck, if they did get Porter, he was mocked to us in the 1st in plenty of places, then we could just convince ourselves the picks were reversed!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Because if they are fixated on O line -- IMO you almost have to do it now. 

We have looked closely at a number of day 3 IOL.

I’ll be shocked if TE doesn’t get addressed. No way EB can like what he sees. Can he ?

Quan Martin and Demarvion Overshown would stand out as potential round 2 picks also to me, if they went D again. 

1 minute ago, Forehead said:

I know it has already been said, but it is amazing how many of you scream that we "should have traded back" as if we can force another team to trade with us.  We may not have had a choice, get a grip people :)

Anyway, my stupid thought of the day.  If Porter or Ringo drop, any interest in doubling up at the position.  Heck, if they did get Porter, he was mocked to us in the 1st in plenty of places, then we could just convince ourselves the picks were reversed!

I could see Pitt taking Porter right away, first pick.

41 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

What’s interesting is that neither Mayhew nor Ron have taken a CB in the first before. Like ever. And I’m sure previous needs existed at the position. I can only take from that they think Forbes is the real deal. Time will tell I guess.

Think so.  But feels to me they were locked in corner or tackle.  So he was the best on their board if you combine both spots.

The draft is unpreditctable.  Maybe Forbes is a transcedent player and ends up the next Sauce Gardner.  You never know.  Hopefully so.

But what makes me question it is not my own evaluations.  i like Forbes as a player, i don't think he's transcedent but I could be wrong -- am no professional to say the least, nothing even close, I am just like you and everyone else winging it and having fun with my own takes.  So I don't take my evaluations ultra seriously once the draft plays out -- and my default position has been to defend every pick more or less they make and sell myself on it once its done.  I am typically one of the pollyanas about the draft after its done.

My issue with the pick is IMO it spoke to Ron's mindset about roster building and overall vision.  And look, I don't even hate that, I get it -- but to me it reinforced that Ron's imagination on roster building has a B level ceiling.

I am looking forward to Harris cleaning house with the FO.  Keep some of the evaluators.  But IMO they need someone new at the top of this FO.  And again not because I am down on Ron -- but I am fairly convinced in my own mind that he's never going to be an A level FO guy.  I felt that way before last night.  Last night was the kicker -- not because I didn't like Forbes but because it felt sooo Ron.  And not bad.  B level.  Above average.  But not great. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1