Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Carroll Sues Trump for Defamation in Civil Rape Trial

China

There isn't a separate thread for this and it doesn't really fit anywhere else so I'll start with a few recent posts from other threads:

E. Jean Carroll Accuses Trump of Rape in Testimony

E. Jean Carroll testified in a Manhattan courtroom on Wednesday, relating a harrowing story of being raped by Donald J. Trump in the mid-1990s, as the former president — who has declined to attend the trial — railed at her on social media, infuriating the judge overseeing the case.

Ms. Carroll’s wrenching testimony stood in sharp contrast to the former president’s postings, in which he called her case a “made-up SCAM” and a “fraudulent & false story,” and led the judge, Lewis A. Kaplan, to suggest Mr. Trump was improperly trying to influence the jury.

E. Jean Carroll’s opinions about men were a topic of conversation on the witness stand Wednesday afternoon. Mike Ferrara, a male attorney on her legal team, asked Carroll what she discovered during her research for her book about women and their relationships with men. Carroll responded, “Women love men, we need men. We just don’t want men to run everything.” Ferrara then asked Carroll pointedly, “How do you feel about men?” Carroll responded enthusiastically, “I like them!” eliciting a laugh from at least one male juror.

Sexual assault survivors can be traumatized again when testifying years later, experts say.

On Wednesday, E. Jean Carroll, who told a Manhattan jury that former President Donald J. Trump raped her in a department store, said she was trying to get her “life back” and grew emotional as she spoke nearly 30 years after the events she described.

Carroll broke down in tears toward the end of the day, amid continued discussion of the personal cost of going public with her accusations. “To be able to get my day in court, finally, is everything to me,” she said, her shaky voice rising. “I’m crying because I’m happy I got to tell my story in court.”

Click on the link for the full article

• Thanks 1

I guess when the judge has been reprimanding you constantly and things aren't going well, then you file for a mistrial:

Trump lawyer Tacopina requests E. Jean Carroll mistrial in dawn filing

According to a report from ABC7, Donald Trump attorney Joe Tacopina has requested a mistrial in the case in the Manhattan courtroom where writer E. Jean Carroll has accused the former president of rape and defamation.

With the trial expected to resume on Monday, the attorney made the filing at dawn, attacking Judge Lewis Kaplan's conduct during the four day trial.

The report states, "Defense attorney Joe Tacopina said the judge has mischaracterized elements of the case and improperly shut down certain lines of questioning during cross examination. Tacopina said he should have been allowed to explore why Carroll did not pursue security camera footage from the store and why Carroll did not go to the police following the alleged rape."

In his filing, he wrote, "Proof that Plaintiff never attempted to determine if any such footage of the parties existed constitutes circumstantial evidence that her accusation is false."

"Tacopina also questioned Judge Lewis Kaplan's admonishment of a social media post by Eric Trump that revealed LinkedIn founder Reid Hoffman is funding Carroll's case," ABC7 is also reporting.

-------------------------------------

But, apparently nobody's buying it or feeling sorry for Trump and Tacopina:

Judge denies Trump's mistrial motion claiming unfair rulings in trial over E. Jean Carroll's rape allegation

A federal judge in New York on Monday denied former President Donald Trump's bid for a mistrial in writer E. Jean Carroll’s lawsuit alleging that Trump raped her in a Manhattan department store in the 1990s.

In an 18-page filing hours ahead of his second day of cross-examining Carroll, Trump lawyer Joe Tacopina accused U.S. District Judge Lewis Kaplan, who is overseeing the case, of making “pervasive unfair and prejudicial rulings” against his client.

Barring a mistrial ruling, Tacopina requested that Kaplan “correct the record for each and every instance in which the Court has mischaracterized the facts of this case to the jury” and allow Trump’s counsel to “have greater latitude” to cross-examine Carroll.

Tacopina wrote that Kaplan’s “one-sided rulings” demonstrate “a deeper leaning towards one party over another,” including comments that express “favoritism.”

“Here, despite the fact trial testimony has been underway for only two days, the proceedings are already replete with numerous examples of Defendant’s unfair treatment by the Court, most of which have been witnessed by the Jury,” the letter said.

Kaplan denied the motion Monday morning shortly before the jury was brought in to hear Carroll's testimony, a court official confirmed.

Lawyers for Carroll did not immediately respond to NBC News’ request for comment. 

• Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

51% versus beyond a reasonable doubt. Trump's paying something. Plus if he appeals it's definitely going into the criminal morass. Not to mention the NY State civil trial against him, his children with Ivana, and the Trump Org. with the penalty that the Trump Org goes defunct and the Trumps can't do any business in NY State ever again. 

Looking forward to all the legal morass.

• Like 1

‘Access Hollywood’ video played at New York Trump trial

The infamous “Access Hollywood” video in which Donald Trump bragged about grabbing women sexually without asking was played Wednesday for a jury considering columnist E. Jean Carroll’s claims that he raped her two decades before he became president.

Before the video was shown, Trump’s legal team said it would not call any witnesses in the case, raising the possibility that jurors could begin deliberations sometime next week.

The 2005 video was played in Manhattan federal court, along with excerpts of Trump’s videotaped deposition. The videos were presented to jurors on the same day that onetime People magazine writer Natasha Stoynoff testified that Trump forcibly kissed her against her will while showing her around his Florida home for a 2005 article about the first anniversary of his marriage to Melania Trump.

Trump lawyers unsuccessfully challenged the video and Stoynoff’s testimony prior to the start of the trial. Stoynoff testified that she was “horrified” when the tape was made public just weeks before the 2016 presidential election.

“The horrifying part to me was that I worried, because I didn’t say anything at the time, other women were hurt by him so I had to regret,” she said.

• Like 1

He's not attempting to present a defense.  

He's trying to minimize his political damage.  And staying away and not opening his mouth, causes less media coverage.  

(And maybe, just maybe, his legal team managed to convince him that keeping his yap shut is a good move.)  

Unfortunately (for the vageegee owner) or fortunately (for the grabby hands owner)... there's two sides. 

How is this not going to be used in political ads by either DeSantis or Biden? I am assuming he will lose the trial.

9 minutes ago, China said:

He was looking particularly orange in that video.  I'm amazed that stuff doesn't rub off on his shirt showing an orange ring around the collar.

I don't know how to find it, but de-planing AF1 (looking rather defeated, I forget which occasion), it showed all over his **** shirt collar.  It was a very popular meme, I'm surprised I didn't keep it. 

7 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

I don't know how to find it, but de-planing AF1 (looking rather defeated, I forget which occasion), it showed all over his **** shirt collar.  It was a very popular meme, I'm surprised I didn't keep it. 

Is this the photo you're talking about, because I can't see it in this pic:

original.jpg

Edit: I found the close up version that seems to show it:

2699.jpg?width=620&quality=85&auto=forma

41 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

He's more vile than I thought.  (And I thought the very worst of him in the first place.)

What constitutes "unfortunately or fortunately"? 

What a disgusting pile of ****. 

To quote Penn Jillette, who knows Trump personally "However bad you think he is, he's worse."

Edited by PokerPacker
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, China said:

Is this the photo you're talking about, because I can't see it in this pic:

original.jpg

Edit: I found the close up version that seems to show it:

2699.jpg?width=620&quality=85&auto=forma

Ugh.  Yeah, that's the one. 

I know you meant well in search of my mental "discovery", but the recall is nasty to the nth degree.  :stop:

Behind scenes, Trump’s lawyer disavowed client’s claim he’d ‘confront’ E. Jean Carroll to judge: ‘You understand what I am dealing with’

Hours after former President Donald Trump told reporters in Ireland that he’d fly back to New York to “confront” E. Jean Carroll in her civil rape and defamation case against him, his attorney emphatically denied to a federal judge that his client would testify.

“I know you understand what I am dealing with,” Trump’s attorney Joe Tacopina told Senior U.S. District Judge Lewis Kaplan during a sidebar conference on Thursday.

Trump’s remarks roiled his ongoing trial in a civil rape and defamation lawsuit brought by Carroll. The “Ask E. Jean” columnist claims that Trump sexually assaulted her inside a dressing room of the Bergdorf Goodman department store in the mid-1990s, then lied about it. Time and again, in a private huddle between the judge and lawyers, Tacopina affirmed his client won’t take the witness stand to answer those claims.

6 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I really wish there was a judge with the balls to give him a gag order and enforce it.

I'm thinking "into a cell until you comply with my court orders".  

• Like 1