Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

We don't have the true draft capital to get "impact starters" at OT, QB, WR, DE, CB. We can certainly draft those positions through R3, but I also expect us to draft a LB in there somewhere.

So that said, I think we should expect to bring in "high end starter quality" free agents at at least 2 of those "premier" positions and my guess would be DE and OT. Add in a mid-tier contract for a CB as well as a top tier LB and mid-tier Safety, and I think that would cover a bulk of our additions.

TE is a wildcard. Not sure we hit that position early but would need a clear upgrade, though that is a cheap position to upgrade in theory. Someone like Gesicki + a 3rd or 4th round pick. 

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, LetMeSeeYourWarFace21 said:

We already have a low budget Henry in BRob......we need speed at that position.

I agree, to an extent.

BRob, somehow, was starting to look like a power back that could actually catch the ball consistently. 

I'm curious to see what KK does with that, or if that was jus a figment of my imagination.

24 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

We don't have the true draft capital to get "impact starters" at OT, QB, WR, DE, CB. We can certainly draft those positions through R3, but I also expect us to draft a LB in there somewhere.

That's debatable. We have two high 2nd rounders. Can definitely find quality starters at the positions that have depth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

That's debatable. We have two high 2nd rounders. Can definitely find quality starters at the positions that have depth.

Oh for sure, I just meant "every" position. I would go ahead and say we should hope to and expect 4 starters. 

• Like 1

Josey Jewell continues to be the unsung hero of the Denver Broncos defense

Josey Jewell has never had Broncos Country respect him as one of the NFL’s better linebackers, but his play in recent weeks is demanding that level of recognition.

Last week against the Kansas City Chiefs, Jewell did an impressive job in coverage, despite being tasked with an extremely difficult matchup. He finished the day with two interceptions, both of which swung the game, and he also helped ensure that Travis Kelce caught less than half of his targets.

This week, superstar defensive coordinator Ejiro Evero made sure to heap praise on Josey Jewell for his recent showings.

“We ask a lot of that position (inside linebacker),” Coach Evero said, on Friday. “And, you know, [he’s a] very smart guy — him and Alex [Singleton] both are — there’s a lot of things we’re asking [of them] instinctually, memorization-wise, technique-wise, you know, to get to blitz. So I think there’s a lot of things he gets to do, that are fun stuff for linebackers, especially running and tackling, and blitzing. So yeah, he’s, he’s done a heck of a job. And as much fun as he’s having. I’m having fun coaching him.”

The fact you’re able to feel that player-coach bond from Evero, just by listening to him, is just part of the reason why so many are hoping the defensive coordinator will be brought back for 2023.

Evero also highlighted how Josey Jewell’s high-end football IQ and leadership skills have helped the defense out.

“Yeah, just the communication aspect of it, you know, setting the fronts, a lot of the coverage stuff, you know,” Evero said, when asked what made him decide to make Jewell the glue of the defense. “With the way that the NFL is going these days — all the condensed fluids — on every play you have, you’re going to be communicating something. When you have a safety like we do and when you have inside linebackers like we do, it makes a lot easier.”

The Broncos will need to continue to get that level of play from Josey Jewell, if they want to snap their losing streak on Sunday.

https://milehighsports.com/josey-jewell-continues-to-be-the-unsung-hero-of-the-denver-broncos-defense/

Jewell isn't killer good but he's above average.

• Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Josey Jewell continues to be the unsung hero of the Denver Broncos defense

Josey Jewell has never had Broncos Country respect him as one of the NFL’s better linebackers, but his play in recent weeks is demanding that level of recognition.

Last week against the Kansas City Chiefs, Jewell did an impressive job in coverage, despite being tasked with an extremely difficult matchup. He finished the day with two interceptions, both of which swung the game, and he also helped ensure that Travis Kelce caught less than half of his targets.

This week, superstar defensive coordinator Ejiro Evero made sure to heap praise on Josey Jewell for his recent showings.

“We ask a lot of that position (inside linebacker),” Coach Evero said, on Friday. “And, you know, [he’s a] very smart guy — him and Alex [Singleton] both are — there’s a lot of things we’re asking [of them] instinctually, memorization-wise, technique-wise, you know, to get to blitz. So I think there’s a lot of things he gets to do, that are fun stuff for linebackers, especially running and tackling, and blitzing. So yeah, he’s, he’s done a heck of a job. And as much fun as he’s having. I’m having fun coaching him.”

The fact you’re able to feel that player-coach bond from Evero, just by listening to him, is just part of the reason why so many are hoping the defensive coordinator will be brought back for 2023.

Evero also highlighted how Josey Jewell’s high-end football IQ and leadership skills have helped the defense out.

“Yeah, just the communication aspect of it, you know, setting the fronts, a lot of the coverage stuff, you know,” Evero said, when asked what made him decide to make Jewell the glue of the defense. “With the way that the NFL is going these days — all the condensed fluids — on every play you have, you’re going to be communicating something. When you have a safety like we do and when you have inside linebackers like we do, it makes a lot easier.”

The Broncos will need to continue to get that level of play from Josey Jewell, if they want to snap their losing streak on Sunday.

https://milehighsports.com/josey-jewell-continues-to-be-the-unsung-hero-of-the-denver-broncos-defense/

This is a guy who could be a good target.  Kind of guy who can be a leader on the field and help everyone around him.

• Thumb up 1

This team likely plays a lot of single high

86. S JORDAN WHITEHEAD, NEW YORK JETS

Whitehead is a great fit in a defense that predominantly deploys single-high looks, bringing solid ball skills as the deep-third center-fielder over the past few seasons in addition to his true strength as a box defender roaming near the line of scrimmage. Whitehead has multiple interceptions in four straight seasons to go along with 20-plus defensive stops in every campaign of his career.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2024-free-agent-rankings-free-agency

7 minutes ago, Curtisp5286 said:

This is a guy who could be a good target.  Kind of guy who can be a leader on the field and help everyone around him.

Potentially.    We of course can't get the high end player we want to every need position.  Some signings I gather will be for good players who won't break the bank.

• Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I mentioned Cashman previously

80. LB BLAKE CASHMAN, HOUSTON TEXANS

Cashman was acquired via trade from the New York Jets before the 2022 season but went on to play just 149 defensive snaps due to a concussion sidelining him for a while. Flash-forward to 2023 with the arrival of new head coach and former NFL linebacker DeMeco Ryans, and Cashman is having a career year.

Cashman’s pass-rush ability has been the value add we’ve known about even when he logged limited snaps in past years, but his eight tackles for loss or no gain against the run is a top-15 mark, and his 79.7 coverage grade ranks 15th. Among 55 linebackers with at least 50 tackles in 2023, Cashman’s 7% missed tackle rate is a top-15 mark.

Over the past two seasons, Cashman has racked up 19 pressures, five sacks and five quarterback hits on just 94 pass-rush snaps, and that will be the skill he hangs his hat on in free agency.

My top desire on offense. remains Fant.  

53. TE NOAH FANT, SEATTLE SEAHAWKS

The former Denver Broncos first-round pick was sent to the Seattle Seahawks as a part of the Russell Wilson trade, and despite a decline in receiving yards in four consecutive seasons, Fant has had the potential for more production. Fant has breakaway speed in the open field for a tight end to go with a good understanding of how to let blocks develop in front of him and use the full field to avoid would-be tacklers.

• Like 3

I'm going to be very interesting to see how Peters approaches free agency.  

They have no choice but to sign a bunch of free agents, because I think they only have 23 players or something like that under contract.

He mentioned in his opening presser it took a couple years for the 49ers to get going.  

My preference is they make 4 "big" signings:

1 OT.  Either Right or Left, I don't care

1 DE. They need a starting DE.  

1 TE.  Logan Thomas can't be the answer, so they need a starting TE.  They have young guys who get hurt a lot.  I'm not banking on them.

1 LB.  They need a LB who can "wear the dot" and be better than "ok."  

That doesn't mean they have to get the highest rated person at every position.  But I think they need to sign obvious "good" starters at those positions.  

They also need a starting CB.  Personally, I'd just re-sign Fuller and call it a day.  He's good enough.  I'd focus on offense first.  Good CBs are expensive.  I'd spend money elsewhere.  

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If they do sign a Wr.  One of the dudes I took in the board's draft years ago.  Underrated player who am guessing doesn't break the bank

WRs always break the bank. And with Gabe Davis, he's been SO close every year, someone will think they can unlock him to his full potential. My guess is he's going to get paid. May end up being the top WR on the market when tags/extensions are done --- I would guess $15-18m APY.

Just checked, Spotrac has him at $13.6m projection - 4 years $56m

Continues to crack me up. The whole fanbase complained about Dan, but so many ignore that Dan's biggest issue was always looking for the quick fix and never thinking more than a season down the road. 

So the same people who kept talking about how dumb Dan was then turn around and want a 4-13 team to go after FAs in their 30s and hope that we can get 2 good years out of them. 

Hysterical. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

They have no choice but to sign a bunch of free agents, because I think they only have 23 players or something like that under contract.

He mentioned in his opening presser it took a couple years for the 49ers to get going.  

1 TE.  Logan Thomas can't be the answer, so they need a starting TE.  They have young guys who get hurt a lot.  I'm not banking on them.

That doesn't mean they have to get the highest rated person at every position.  But I think they need to sign obvious "good" starters at those positions.  

They also need a starting CB.  Personally, I'd just re-sign Fuller and call it a day.  He's good enough.  I'd focus on offense first.  Good CBs are expensive.  I'd spend money elsewhere.  

Fuller is more of a zone type CB, and Quinn likes to play a lot of man.  Might be a little mismatch.

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

With Fuller, there’s a question of whether he, as more of a zone corner, fits what they’re looking for.  We can’t really know that of course since it seems they’re not even sure what type of D they’ll run.  I’m right there with you on the rest though.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Continues to crack me up. The whole fanbase complained about Dan, but so many ignore that Dan's biggest issue was always looking for the quick fix and never thinking more than a season down the road. 

So the same people who kept talking about how dumb Dan was then turn around and want a 4-13 team to go after FAs in their 30s and hope that we can get 2 good years out of them. 

Hysterical. 

Snyder had bigger problems then quick fixes in light of how many recent franchise turnarounds take less then 3-4 years.

Getting jus a couple things right,like QB, can make a team competitive very quickly.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Fuller is more of a zone type CB, and Quinn likes to play a lot of man.  Might be a little mismatch.

yeah, but Forbes is also more of a zone type guy.

I'm also not sure that we know what they're going to run, or even if it would be the same year to year with the talent they have.

If they have 2 good zone CBs, they might play more zone.  

It's impossible to predict scheme fit at the moment, if you ask me, because I don't think they even know exactly what they want to do yet.  It's something Whitt said in his presser, they have guys from a lot of different trees, and they're going to put together a new defense which makes sense for them.

If, however, they decide they do want to play more man, then they should not re-sign Fuller.  And maybe they should look to trade Forbes?

1 hour ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Hysterical. 

I agree with you but with the caveat that smart signings in FA are imperative even for a building team.  

And from time to time, a veteran presence in a locker room of young guys could be a good thing, assuming it doesn't break the bank.  

If they sign a few 30 year olds on short deals while they draft and develop guys, I'm fine with that.

If they sign a bunch of high-priced, old, over the hill FAs because they think they can win right away, I am not down with that.  

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If they do sign a Wr.  One of the dudes I took in the board's draft years ago.  Underrated player who am guessing doesn't break the bank

Yep Gabe Davis has been my #1 receiver target for a while. 

Calvin Ridley was a Quinn guy from memory. Hollywood Brown, Kingsbury guy, kinda.

Edited by Est.1974

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Bowen had has go with Pollard.  I'd rather get the RB in the draft but wouldn't hate this if he were cheap

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/39531864/2024-nfl-free-agency-best-team-fits-ranking-top-50-players-available-offseason

46. Tony Pollard, RB

Best team fit: Washington Commanders

With Antonio Gibson heading to free agency, the Commanders could target someone like Pollard on a short-term deal to create a backfield rotation with Brian Robinson Jr. I like that duo. Washington could then reduce the workload for Pollard, while maximizing his dual-threat ability. In five pro seasons with the Cowboys, Pollard had 179 receptions -- and he just rushed for over 1,000 yards for a second straight season.

Pollard will shine again in a split backfield imo. We have a big pounding back. And Pollard is a great fit here.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Snyder had bigger problems then quick fixes in light of how many recent franchise turnarounds take less then 3-4 years.

Getting jus a couple things right,like QB, can make a team competitive very quickly.

LMAO. The choices aren't "quick fix" vs "Don't win for 4 years"