Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

You follow the dolphins closely. They have a handful of key FAs coming up, are currently over the cap by $20M next season, and have a lot of big, unfriendly cap hit contracts on the books. Do you see them being able to keep what they have going, or are they expected to make big changes next season?

Edited by Ball Security

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Screen Shot 2023-11-27 at 11.28.34 AM.png

I love Luvu. He is one of the three guys I've been advocating for hard to get in FA assuming schematic fit (the others being Hunter and Evans). This is his second Pro Bowl caliber year in a row and he is a hell of a run defender and pass rusher. If we end up going to a 3-4 next year, he'd be a fantastic ILB. Dude is a blue chip pickup in the right scheme

3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Wouldn't mind Williams but I'd like to give Stromberg a shot at the starting C job.

I hope Stromberg can become a contributor but I would absolutely bring in strong competition for him, whether it be FA or the draft.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ball Security said:

You follow the dolphins closely. They have a handful of key FAs coming up, are currently over the cap by $20M next season, and have a lot of big, unfriendly cap hit contracts on the books. Do you see them being able to keep what they have going, or are they expected to make big changes next season?

they are 36 million over the cap for 2024 so they i think are unlikely to pay big to keep their FAs.

36 minutes ago, method man said:

We have PTSD because we had idiot DCs and a lack of talent. We are actually as equipped for a 3-4 as a 4-3 moving forward. The “cinco package” is basically a 3-4

Very few of our DEs are potential OLBs. 

4 hours ago, method man said:

I hope Stromberg can become a contributor but I would absolutely bring in strong competition for him, whether it be FA or the draft.

I think you draft a C in Round 5-6 with the potential for starting. Chase Roullier style. I think there may be a handful this year to choose from.

Do the same thing next year, and if one of those Day 3 guys becomes the starting C then you slide Stromberg over to LG.

You draft your OTs high in Day 1-2, but use day 3 for the interior - maybe day 2 for RG. 

27 minutes ago, Silvernon said:

I think you draft a C in Round 5-6 with the potential for starting. Chase Roullier style. I think there may be a handful this year to choose from.

Do the same thing next year, and if one of those Day 3 guys becomes the starting C then you slide Stromberg over to LG.

You draft your OTs high in Day 1-2, but use day 3 for the interior - maybe day 2 for RG. 

No offense but I live in Philly area and have to watch Jason Kelce anchor the Eagles line every week and it makes me realize how important he is and how much he has helped Hurts. I'll spend money in free agency to get the top center over the option of a late round draft pick. I'd take the sure thing free agent center and fill in from there using the draft/free agency.

• Like 7

34 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

No offense but I live in Philly area and have to watch Jason Kelce anchor the Eagles line every week and it makes me realize how important he is and how much he has helped Hurts. I'll spend money in free agency to get the top center over the option of a late round draft pick. I'd take the sure thing free agent center and fill in from there using the draft/free agency.

Agreed. I want a stud at center who can truly anchor the rest of the line and help Sam out. Free agent centers are not particularly expensive either

• Thumb up 1

According to Keim from what he was told, there isn't a great communicator back there in the secondary and its needed.

I liked McKinney before the draft.  He's been a good player for NY.  He's a team captain, too.  Assume he's a good communicator but I don't know.

I am not breaking the bank for Curl.  He has one pick in his career.   He's a good player.  But if his dad is right and he's demanding top 5 safety money, I am not giving that to him, if another team offers that.

Screen Shot 2023-11-28 at 7.14.11 AM.png

19 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Wouldn't mind Williams but I'd like to give Stromberg a shot at the starting C job.

Get the veteran.  Everything about building the OL becomes so much easier if you can add a high quality veteran OC.  You can experiment with young guards and still hold up.  You can let him handle the protections for your young QB.

That said, I would rather go after a guard like Hunt specifically, because I think Hunt is the bigger talent.  He was one of my favorite OL prospects from his draft class, and it took the Dolphins years to develop him and Austin Jackson into good players.  I'd love to sign one of them and skip the development phase.

I'm not that high on Stromberg, and appear to be one of the only people who didn't like his Arkansas film and didn't like his upside.  He hasn't gotten a chance here, but I also wouldn't have given him one in the first place, so I'm not making any future roster building decisions around him if I were in charge.  To me, building a good OL would involve getting a prospect or vet center I like more than Stromberg.

Center is one of those perplexing positions because, on the surface it's not that valuable vis a vis the rest of your offense.  Their assignments are literally the easiest on the offense on a snap by snap basis.  They always get to either double or block a smaller player.  They don't have to be as strong and elite of an athlete as the guards, who get to single block the Jonathan Allens and Aaron Donalds and Dexter Lawrences of the NFL.  But center is a major force multiplier position because it's a leadership position with more reading responsibilities than anyone else on the offense after the QB.  Great centers lead great OLs, and lines and whole offenses collapse when they lose their great center.  That vaunted Eagles line would turn to **** if Kelce went down midseason.  That's one of the reasons we beat them last season, when they were still undefeated.  He's been trying to retire and they've basically begged him to stay on until they can get Jurgens ready to replace him.  They know their short term SB window closes without Kelce, he's the second most crucial player on their roster after Hurts.  They could lose AJ Brown or Lane Johnson (and have) or anyone on their defense and not miss a beat as they win another SB.  Just can't lose Kelce or Hurts.

We need to get that kind of mainstay at Center, and Stromberg wouldn't be my best effort at doing so if I were GM.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

I disagree with many on Leno. He is not great and he doesn’t suck. There are certain matchups he will struggle with like Thibodeaux but he has been solid overall. I think he looks even better playing next to a veteran guard who knows how to handle stunts (like he did in 2021 playing next to Flowers).

I am ok with taking 2 tackles but I am ok with letting the round 2 guy sit and learn behind Leno as Leno plays out the final year of his deal (which is $7M or so in net cost to us when you factor for cap savings if you cut him)

• Like 1