Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

6 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I mean that's not some mystery.  He always skipped some voluntary workouts. Its not a big deal if you're an established star(guys like Adrian Peterson and Trent Williams skip em all the time too)but when you're someone like Young I guess it rubs people the wrong way.

I am extremely pro-player, and established vets who don’t put themselves forward as team leaders—sure, skip voluntary workouts. They aren’t mandatory for a reason. But I don’t think team captain types should be skipping those workouts, period. You can only lead visibly, from the front. You can only get face time (with the younger guys and new FA additions especially) by being in the building. You can only assist the coaches in building the culture by representing and enforcing it yourself. Those guys, if that’s who they want to be on the roster, need to attend all workouts. 

• Like 6

He’s not wrong, and he’s obviously a better fit in an established culture rather than being entrusted to try to help build a culture himself. Selfish player, but it’ll probably serve him well if they allow him to just attack the QB on obvious passing downs. 

• Like 1

I expected Chase to talk ish, considering the hit piece that came out about him right after the trade.  This is like when two toxic people start ragging on one another and you can’t help but nod in agreement with everything being said.

Personally, I’m not a fan of Young and would prefer he continue to be mediocre in San Fran, with a freelancing gone wrong moment to lose in the playoffs, cherry-on-top.

Like Conn, overall I’m very pro-player.  But I feel like as the 2nd pick in the draft who won ROTY, you should be present all the time.  Be a leader, lead.  If you aren’t going to do that, fine - but you must kick ass, wreck games and fill the stat sheet.  He spent his first offseason not attending workouts and looked like crap to start the 2021 season.  All downhill from there for me, good riddance.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

Chase called out our coaches.  Basically called them second rate, lacking attention to details, running a bad scheme, and instilling low expectations in the players.  He called them losers and he's probably right.  I don't know how we change the culture here, I thought EB would be a big help in that regard, but he hasn't really been.  Rivera has spent four years trying to improve the culture and has barely made a dent.

13 hours ago, Conn said:

I am extremely pro-player, and established vets who don’t put themselves forward as team leaders—sure, skip voluntary workouts. They aren’t mandatory for a reason. But I don’t think team captain types should be skipping those workouts, period. You can only lead visibly, from the front. You can only get face time (with the younger guys and new FA additions especially) by being in the building. You can only assist the coaches in building the culture by representing and enforcing it yourself. Those guys, if that’s who they want to be on the roster, need to attend all workouts. 

Great players just need to play great to lead.  Trent Williams and Deebo Samuel are alpha leaders who define their locker rooms and they skip volunteer workouts.  I feel like the impact of the best players missing volunteer activities gets overblown in bad franchises like ours because we're searching for concrete explanations for why we are bad.  The truth is those just aren't really that impactful, and the real reason Chase fell out of favor here is because he basically missed two years and wasn't productive for us as a result.

It's a ****ty feeling that we can trade an elite talent for a third round pick to the 9ers again, and he's feeling great the next day. It's going to feel even worse if he hits his potential for them and we're sitting here three years later searching for a way to get more than 25 sacks as a team.

Just now, Going Commando said:

Great players just need to play great to lead.  Trent Williams and Deebo Samuel are alpha leaders who define their locker rooms and they skip volunteer workouts.  I feel like the impact of the best players missing volunteer activities gets overblown in bad franchises like ours because we're searching for concrete explanations for why we are bad.  The truth is those just aren't really that impactful, and the real reason Chase fell out of favor here is because he basically missed two years and wasn't productive for us as a result.

It's a ****ty feeling that we can trade an elite talent for a third round pick to the 9ers again, and he's feeling great the next day. It's going to feel even worse if he hits his potential for them and we're sitting here three years later searching for a way to get more than 25 sacks as a team.

Trent became the elite player at his position. Literally the best. 

If Chase skipped OTAs but was on TJ Watt level, it would not be talked about as much. He never was top tier at his position. Stars get exceptions made for them because they produce results and Chase was not one.

Does skipping OTAs disqualify you from a 'C' patch? I think it should. 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Silvernon said:

If Chase skipped OTAs but was on TJ Watt level, it would not be talked about as much. He never was top tier at his position. Stars get exceptions made for them because they produce results and Chase was not one.

Trent and Deebo are both captains for San Francisco, and nobody would ever question their leadership.

Agreed that Chase not being productive here is the reason we had issues with him.  But focusing the complaint with him on missing the volunteer workouts is misplacing the issue.  It's about him not being productive in years two and three.  We're going to have great players skip the volunteer workouts in the future, and it's not going to be a big deal then either.  What we need is for our great players to actually play great while they are here, and if we get that, then it'll be enough.

27 minutes ago, Silvernon said:

Other than top sideline cheerleader Chase never acted like a goo leader. The OTA absences always bugged the crap out of me, he never deserved/earned special treatment.

I also chuckled when he said he liked working with the Niners coaching because he likes working hard and being worked hard...

In fairness, Rivera seems to put loses on the players more than taking ownership. It's also funny how is has been sleeping on the sideline for the past year plus, now after a few games into the season he sits and complains to refs about silly things.

14 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Trent and Deebo are both captains for San Francisco, and nobody would ever question their leadership.

Agreed that Chase not being productive here is the reason we had issues with him.  But focusing the complaint with him on missing the volunteer workouts is misplacing the issue.  It's about him not being productive in years two and three.  We're going to have great players skip the volunteer workouts in the future, and it's not going to be a big deal then either.  What we need is for our great players to actually play great while they are here, and if we get that, then it'll be enough.

It’s all relative.

When you choose to spend your time working on endorsement deals as opposed to team workouts, in your first offseason coming off ROTY honors and return to not produce on the field- it’s a problem.  

There’s certainly more out there regarding him, as it’s been alluded to before by many.  He never integrated himself into things the DL were doing together in their off time- meeting at Kerrigans house to review tape, team building activities, etc.  This is also fine if you are a monster filling up the stat sheet, that he never was.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

Like I said at the time, if Young skips OTAs but then comes in and dominates then nobody will care. Trent Williams skipped OTAs all the time and nobody give an F because he gave us Pro Bowl seasons year in year out.

But Young didn't do that, so he gets bashed and deservedly so to some extent. I do think it got a bit overblown at times, but he put that on himself by talking about making money instead of working to get better. Again, if he actually came in and kicked arse, nobody would care. But he didn't, so it all gets questioned.

• Like 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

On 11/7/2023 at 9:08 AM, Warhead36 said:

Like I said at the time, if Young skips OTAs but then comes in and dominates then nobody will care. Trent Williams skipped OTAs all the time and nobody give an F because he gave us Pro Bowl seasons year in year out.

But Young didn't do that, so he gets bashed and deservedly so to some extent. I do think it got a bit overblown at times, but he put that on himself by talking about making money instead of working to get better. Again, if he actually came in and kicked arse, nobody would care. But he didn't, so it all gets questioned.

It's also a little silly to compare veteran star players to a guy coming off his rookie year. If Jonathan Allen or Terry McLaurin decided to skip workouts I wouldn't worry about it much, but it was clearly a signal of something when a 21 year old considered himself above reporting. 

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

It's also a little silly to compare veteran star players to a guy coming off his rookie year. If Jonathan Allen or Terry McLaurin decided to skip workouts I wouldn't worry about it much, but it was clearly a signal of something when a 21 year old considered himself above reporting. 

That and I think the fact that his teammates had just named him captain was also a black mark. Like you can't be named a captain and then no show unless you're just a certified proven stone cold star. 

• Thumb up 1

Washington Commanders

• Commanders signed OL Julian Good-Jones off the Eagles PS
  • Commanders placed G Ricky Stromberg on I/R
  • Commanders signed RB Jonathan Williams and LB Brandon Bouyer-Randel to their PS
  • Commanders worked out LB Brandon Bouyer-Randle, LB Caleb Johnson, S Tre Norwood, and OL Ross Pierschbacher

https://nfldraftdiamonds.com/2023/11/nfl-transactions-662/

• Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, turtle said:

Washington Commanders

• Commanders signed OL Julian Good-Jones off the Eagles PS
  • Commanders placed G Ricky Stromberg on I/R
  • Commanders signed RB Jonathan Williams and LB Brandon Bouyer-Randel to their PS
  • Commanders worked out LB Brandon Bouyer-Randle, LB Caleb Johnson, S Tre Norwood, and OL Ross Pierschbacher

https://nfldraftdiamonds.com/2023/11/nfl-transactions-662/

Better to sign Good-Jones as opposed to Bad-Jones, I always say.

• Haha 3