Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

They also called a game plan like they were playing against a team with a solid pass rush and good linebackers. Some dink and dunk, quick hitters, run the ball. Take the long shot when it presents itself.

Street FA, but EB promoted Charles before he was even in the building.

Davis instead of Darrisaw in a draft with a bunch of now starting LBers in the 2/3rd.

Next year is gonna be awesome. I just hope we don't have to blow too much stuff up.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Davis instead of Darrisaw in a draft with a bunch of now starting LBers in the 2/3rd.

Next year is gonna be awesome. I just hope we don't have to blow too much stuff up.

Saahdiq Charles was a 4th round draft pick for us

7 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I’d happily trade both of them. We need to start over. Im personally looking forward to this season being in the book. 

Harris should resign Young and plan to franchise Sweat and allow next regime to manage it all. Rather next regime decide what to do with best talent on the roster. 

Such little value in selling these dudes to team looking to take advantage and pounce. Draft compensation for good players is a waste on the aggregate. 

1 minute ago, wit33 said:

Harris should resign Young and plan to franchise Sweat and allow next regime to manage it all. Rather next regime decide what to do with best talent on the roster. 

Such little value in selling these dudes to team looking to take advantage and pounce. Draft compensation for good players is a waste on the aggregate. 

I can’t see that being a balanced use of our available resource at all.

7 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

They also called a game plan like they were playing against a team with a solid pass rush and good linebackers. Some dink and dunk, quick hitters, run the ball. Take the long shot when it presents itself.

I don’t know if people watched the Manning cast last night. But Peyton kept talking about how they had a different set of plays for when Bosa was off the field. Quick, short throws when he’s in. Shots down field when he’s off.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I can’t see that being a balanced use of our available resource at all.

I see it as a matter of holding your cards close and waiting for the next regime to make their moves. I understand it might be challenging, given that both are set to become free agents in the same year 😕. Keep both knowing each will have value turn the market with or without a long term contract. 

It will demand some creative thinking. Simply letting go of valuable or exceptional players for a fraction of their worth doesn't make sense. I have zero interest in trading Sweat for a second-round pick; the chances of that pick becoming even an average starter are slim. If we can acquire other players in exchange, that's when I get interested. At the moment, the impending massive overhaul makes things complex. 

• Like 1

I'm not sure the best place to post this but for all the criticism of Ron not making moves...

I felt like  our former owner checked out about the time the Washington Redskins became the Washington Football Team, and when you  combine that with rumors of him being cash strapped that might tie hands somewhat.  Every offseason we got one big move and then just kind screwed around

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I doubt its on Ron's radar, he basically suggested yesterday that he takes pride on the idea of not making moves.   He's the anti-Howie Roseman

The reason La'el has not been signed by anyone yet is because he wants a boatload of money. I'm not sure they can fit him in under the cap. 

3 hours ago, method man said:

The reason La'el has not been signed by anyone yet is because he wants a boatload of money. I'm not sure they can fit him in under the cap. 

They can try. There are numerous players they can cut to try to make room. Or restructure… oh wait… we don’t have a GM in place to do any of that because… wait, why doesn’t Harris have someone watching over things?

4 hours ago, KDawg said:

They can try. There are numerous players they can cut to try to make room. Or restructure… oh wait… we don’t have a GM in place to do any of that because… wait, why doesn’t Harris have someone watching over things?

Keim who seems to be plugged in with that ownership group seemed to hint that he thinks they do have someone overlooking all of this on his behalf, then sort of backed off when Sheehan pressed him on the point.  It came off like he was told, yes, and either was told to be quiet about it or he wasn't 100% sure.  That's the vibe I got.  I was half listening to this part so I'd need to relisten to see if I mistook it.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Keim who seems to be plugged in with that ownership group seemed to hint that he thinks they do have someone overlooking all of this on his behalf, then sort of backed off when Sheehan pressed him on the point.  It came off like he was told, yes, and either was told to be quiet about it or he wasn't 100% sure.  That's the vibe I got.  I was half listening to this part so I'd need to relisten to see if I mistook it.

Rons demeanor definitely has a "someone looking over his shoulder" vibe about it.

4 hours ago, KDawg said:

I think Harris has people observing, but people have been posting here for a couple years now that until he’s fired Rivera has final say on the football side, contractually. They argue that trying to bring someone in over him for things like this would be a bit of an ugly mess. So until Harris thinks it’s appropriate to make a move on Rivera, the ball’s in his court, allegedly. I’m not sure how legally sound that is. 

I personally think the idea that Rivera has contractual final say, legally speaking, may be overstated. Bad owners interfere all around the league with their top football people (who all have fully guaranteed contracts) and are never sued, right? So none of those GM’s has the iron-clad legal right to final say that Rivera allegedly does, because he’s some sort of forward-thinking genius who demanded it? How believable is that really? Shanahan never had that protection here? I just find myself doubting it’s that cut and dry and that Rivera working for Snyder is the only notable dude to ever work for a bad owner to insist on this contractual power. And I find myself doubting that even in the final desperate years of his tenure, Snyder would have given that up, legally speaking. 

7 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Rons demeanor definitely has a "someone looking over his shoulder" vibe about it.

The thing I don't like for Ron's sake about his last year here his behavior-rhetoric is off putting.  Leading up to this year, I think we can easily say he's a very likeable guy.  But his public stances doesn't make him come off likeable this off season -- he comes off defensive, delusional and arrogant.

Where he really stated to lose me purely as to likability was all of his pro Dan comments when he didn't have to say a word, Dan was already out.   Then so much of his other rhetoric is a combination of arrogance, defensiveness blame-shifting, 

We've seen of course other coaches leave where you feel good riddance at the time.  I used to think even wanting Ron gone once it was clear ownership was going to shift, I'd still feel a bit bad for Ron but now I don't. 

If they have a losing season and fans continue to crap on Ron all over social media -- it feels like a karma he's earned.  I didn't feel remotely like that at the beginning of this off season.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Keim suggesting that Ron's outward rhetoric of this season is a start over because of Sam so almost look at it as year 1 of this rebuild because this team is so young.  Ironically on age, this team is actually the 15th youngest.   And people (fans) should be paitent with Ron and look at the future more so than the present.  That's Ron's sell behind the scenes too. 

I gather and hope that ownership can read through Ron's BS.  Among a series of dumb and off putting comments Ron has made this off season -- for me in that mix was his long explanation about how they aren't making any moves, the calavry isn't coming -- implying heck we aren't at that stage in this team's development, lets ride with our youngsters in this rebuild takes the cake for me.   I wonder if Ron's delusion extends to himself that he actually believes in what he's saying.  I suspect that he does.

But for me, and I gather based on social media some other fans too not only can't wait to see Ron gone but also find his behavior-rhetoric off putting to the extent that he's lost some of that good will that he had earlier.