Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

2 hours ago, FrFan said:

Just realized our thin cap of  $2,431,623 according to overthecap. Cuts are coming up.

We can save just over $4M from cutting Roulier and just over $2M cutting Norwell - both moves seem inevitable. That would get us to around $9M of cap space which is plenty to sign our rookies and have a bit in hand. No need to cut Fuller unless its performance related.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Captain James said:

OMG he would totally lay down when we play the Eagles. Just straight up Haynesworth the whole game.

I kid.

I would never lay down for anyone. 

Y'all just jealous, because I grew up watching some of the greatest football ever.80's/90's Eagles Redskins was awesome. 13 games decided by 8 points or less.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, MartinC said:

We can save just over $4M from cutting Roulier and just over $2M cutting Norwell - both moves seem inevitable. That would get us to around $9M of cap space which is plenty to sign our rookies and have a bit in hand. No need to cut Fuller unless its performance related.

Even more for this year's cap in Rouillier's case if its a post June 1st cut.  12.7 million combined cap savings (Rouillier and Norwell) if post June 1st. 

Keim's new podccast.

A. Rouillier and Norwell will be cut, he said basically its slam dunk

B. Kendall Fuller likely will not be cut

C.  They want to sign a veteran LB. 

D.  They are counting on major improvements on the offense thanks to Bieniemy.  Not just play calling.  But he adds energy-and great people skills which weren't Scott Turner's thing.   A big narrative about Turner, shared by a mix of different reporters was aside from players not digging his play calling -- he was big time low energy. 

E.  2 out of their top 4 targets in UDFA, they obtained which are...

Screen Shot 2023-05-03 at 9.58.31 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-03 at 9.58.39 AM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Anybody have any thoughts on Isiah Simmons Cardinals? Really athletic guy that the Cards decided not to pick up his 5th year option. 

i read that the previous regime was trying to make him an inside lber, but he doesn’t fit. 

Just wondering if there could be a low cost high ceiling trade that could upgrade our corps and maybe give Simmons a change of scenery.

Edited by Fan since a Fetus
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

Anybody have any thoughts on Isiah Simmons Cardinals? Really athletic guy that the Cards decided not to pick up his 5th year option. 

i read that the previous regime was trying to make him an inside lber, but he doesn’t fit. 

Just wondering if there could be a low cost high ceiling trade that could upgrade our corps and maybe give Simmons a change of scenery.

Great college player -- haven't watched him much in the pros.

In college he was the ultimate swiss arm knife -- LB, big nickle, pass rusher.  It's been a long time, bu I recall especially liking him as a blitzer -- you can move around the field as a chess piece, and he can helop disguise coverages because he could do anything on any play and do it well -- back peddle and play coverage, go downhill, chase the QB. 

https://www.azcardinals.com/news/cardinals-won-t-pick-up-isaiah-simmons-fifth-year-option

One question has finally been answered: The Cardinals are declining Simmons' fifth-year option -- one that would have guaranteed him a salary of $12.7 million in 2024 -- and now Simmons will be scheduled to become a free agent after this season.

It does not mean Simmons doesn't have a future in Arizona; they can still extend him as they could any other free agent-to-be. (The Cardinals also have the franchise tag as an option.) Last season the Cardinals picked up Kyler Murray's option but it was moot when he got a new contract before the season even started.

Simmons, the eighth overall pick in 2020, was used multiple places over his first three seasons by former defensive coordinator Vance Joseph. Last season, he took the majority of his snaps as a slot cornerback. Gannon has repeatedly said he needs to see Simmons on the field before knowing where Simmons will best fit the new defense.

Last season was Simmons' best year, with four sacks and two interceptions, 99 tackles and seven pass breakups. But he was also benched after Week One after struggles in coverage before working his way back into the lineup.

Now, like every other player on the roster, Simmons has a new staff to impress, and a new group within which to find his role. How defensive coordinator Nick Rallis deploys him this season will be one of the more fascinating storylines to watch.

3 hours ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

Good call, I was trawling through team depth charts wondering if any potential cuts were out there and I looked at him. Cards also seem to have a lot of money invested at LB.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Very unlikely but not ludicrous. 

We also picked up Cam Dantzler off waivers and will pay him a guaranteed 3m. Now that may not sound a lot but it is in context for this FO in terms of its external FA spend in 2023. 

Danztler may also have an average CV so far in the league but he fits the mould of CB we seem to want.

Agreed he’s going all in, but does Fuller really make the difference in terms of being elite? 

Could bring in Rock Ya Sin to do the same job IMO and save above 5mil in cash.

Not saying it’s be outrageous to release him, but willing to overpay a bit in a season when continuity, by all reports a good dude all around, and an established baseline level of average to above with some runs of good to great levels of play. 

Generally I dislike giving DBs any money, especially average guys, but open to an exception here and there. 

6 hours ago, KDawg said:

Absolutely agree. Just think it's weird we seem to be all in on the D and then neglect the spot that needs the most fixing. They must be really high on Barton.

LB is the center position 20 years ago in the NBA. You better be elite to remain on the floor/field or you’ll be relegated to situations that align with your strengths. 

• Like 2

Defensive end - Frank Clark

KC • DE • #55
View Profile

Still one of the clutch edge rushers in football, Frank Clark's 13.5 sacks in the playoffs are third most in NFL history. Clark had just five sacks last season, but had 45 pressures and 13 quarterback hits. Clark has hit double digits in sacks twice and has made the Pro Bowl in three of the last four seasons (and is just 29). 

12 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Defensive end - Frank Clark

KC • DE • #55
View Profile

Still one of the clutch edge rushers in football, Frank Clark's 13.5 sacks in the playoffs are third most in NFL history. Clark had just five sacks last season, but had 45 pressures and 13 quarterback hits. Clark has hit double digits in sacks twice and has made the Pro Bowl in three of the last four seasons (and is just 29). 

Isn’t he also ****ing crazy and had some gun charges? That doesn’t sound like a Rivera move.

Just googled it. Two weapons charges from two separate incidents in one offseason with the chiefs. Assault charge while with the Seahawks and apparently told the hotel manager he would, “Hit you like I hit my girlfriend.” Kicked out of Michigan’s football program for a domestic assault. 

No thank you and Ron wouldn’t even consider it. 

This is an example of it being so tough to take offball LB’s high in the draft—in this case, even when they seem like safe prospects that “fall” to the smart teams in position to take them in the 20’s or later. The value just isn’t there in a second contract (or in this case a high 5th year option number) unless they are total studs. 

That said, should we? lol

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Conn said:

This is an example of it being so tough to take offball LB’s high in the draft—in this case, even when they seem like safe prospects that “fall” to the smart teams in position to take them in the 20’s or later. The value just isn’t there in a second contract (or in this case a high 5th year option number) unless they are total studs. 

I really liked him coming out of college. Havent kept up with him in Baltimore. How has his NFL career been so far?

6 hours ago, Conn said:

They are a bit light at corner. Send them Fuller.

5 hours ago, method man said:

He has sucked

Guess that's why they didn't pick up his fifth year option. :806:

18 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

They want to sign a veteran LB. 

This I don't get.

If they want a veteran LB, why not get one at the start of free agency?

Not necessarily an expensive one, but they could've got a good one.

Why wait until May to go looking when the FA market has dried up so much?

Edited by SkinsGuy

5 hours ago, method man said:

He has sucked

I would not say he’s sucked. He played well last season and especially in the second half of the season - he was especially effective in coverage. Overall I would say he’s been a good player but one who didn’t make the impact the Ravens likely wanted until he was paired with Roquan Smith after they traded for him.

But he would probably cost more in assets to acquire and the contract that we would be comfortable giving to an off the ball linebacker.

The Ravens not picking up his option says something about Queen but they already gave a big deal to Roquan Smith and likely didn’t feel like they could put more big cap dollars into that position. They also have the big contract they gave Jackson which is forcing them to have to make decisions on other positions factoring in future cap hits from paying elite QB money out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SkinsGuy said:

If they want a veteran LB, why not get one at the start of free agency?

Not necessarily an expensive one, but they could've got a good one.

Why wait until May to go looking when the FA market has dried up so much?

Because from what I gathered the point was a "veteran" LB but a LB.   As Keim said before the draft, LB, RB in play in the third wave of FA (post draft) if they didn't draft one.

This team along with most others, aren't going to fulfill all their needs in one draft.  After the draft, you see what's left.

They clearly feel LB is left.  Personally I think LG is left, too.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

Patrick Queen should be a player we are making calls on. We’ve done well to retain all of our future draft capital to this point, however we need one more LB added IMO and this guy simply has to be seen as the best option. Day 3 pick, get it done.

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 1

6 hours ago, MartinC said:

I would not say he’s sucked. He played well last season and especially in the second half of the season - he was especially effective in coverage. Overall I would say he’s been a good player but one who didn’t make the impact the Ravens likely wanted until he was paired with Roquan Smith after they traded for him.

But he would probably cost more in assets to acquire and the contract that we would be comfortable giving to an off the ball linebacker.

The Ravens not picking up his option says something about Queen but they already gave a big deal to Roquan Smith and likely didn’t feel like they could put more big cap dollars into that position. They also have the big contract they gave Jackson which is forcing them to have to make decisions on other positions factoring in future cap hits from paying elite QB money out.

Queen was pretty bad as a rookie and 2nd year guy. You are correct that he did play better once Roquan joined the team and his responsibilities were pared back. I’d give up a 6th or 7th for him but not much more than that. Simmons has not been good either but he’d be a more interesting gamble

• Like 2

2 hours ago, method man said:

Queen was pretty bad as a rookie and 2nd year guy. You are correct that he did play better once Roquan joined the team and his responsibilities were pared back. I’d give up a 6th or 7th for him but not much more than that. Simmons has not been good either but he’d be a more interesting gamble

Both just had their reppacements drafted too.

• Like 1