Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

15 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

Lamar sucked anyway! Screw that guy we can no longer acquire. Never wanted him to begin with. (Narrator they wanted him badly) 😂 

You are a really bad narrator. They didn't want him badly. They had already been burnt by the Wentz trade. 

Lamar was selected 32nd and Bmore moved up to get him. He was the 5th QB selected. Howell was also rated as high as the 1st round as well. So cost vs. value I would take Howell and develop him to be a potential franchise QB instead of Lamar who is constantly getting hurt because he runs a lot and is not even a great passer. Howell at least is a very accurate passer. 

I really don't understand the hype for Lamar in a transition season. So tired of trying to win every year and not develop our own. But that is Dan's fault for doing that for the past 25 years. So glad he is leaving. 

58 minutes ago, zCommander said:

You are a really bad narrator. They didn't want him badly. They had already been burnt by the Wentz trade. 

Lamar was selected 32nd and Bmore moved up to get him. He was the 5th QB selected. Howell was also rated as high as the 1st round as well. So cost vs. value I would take Howell and develop him to be a potential franchise QB instead of Lamar who is constantly getting hurt because he runs a lot and is not even a great passer. Howell at least is a very accurate passer. 

I really don't understand the hype for Lamar in a transition season. So tired of trying to win every year and not develop our own. But that is Dan's fault for doing that for the past 25 years. So glad he is leaving. 

To be fair, Howell has only played one regular season game. His accuracy could be awful and we just don't know it yet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skinsfan66 said:

Not to beat a dead horse but, if I were lamar and did not want to go back to B-more and had no offers. I sign week 10 take the 18mil. take another 3/4 weeks to get in shape pass physical and play out the season become a free agent again. That's his leverage and B-more loses the 2 1's.  I think it has happened before and B-More would have to think about that.  

Good stuff, and if this is how it could play out then Baltimore may need to accept a deal for less than two first rounders? Think about this, say the Commanders reach out to negotiate with Lamar and he tells them I'll come play for you if you deal for me and Baltimore will have to settle for one 1st and some others picks/players. Maybe we offer Montez Sweat and a 2023 1st along with Brissett. The longer Lamar holds out the more desperate Baltimore becomes to get the highest value they can for him right? 

All that being said, I expect the Colts to get Lamar given who their owner is and the cap space they supposedly have. If not them then Atlanta. Baltimore is gonna need to move him before the draft the way this is headed. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

This whole narrative running around the national media today slamming Mayhew for his comments that we aren't interested in acquiring Lamar are driving me bonkers.

• Anybody who thinks the Ravens are going to let Lamar slip 30 miles south and take his fans with him are dreaming
  • Ownership transition and lack of available money
  • Redesign an offense for Lamar like Baltimore did but meanwhile D coordinators are figuring out how to defend it
  • I'm sure these teams FO/coaches have a sense of what Baltimore would do, i.e. do negotiations for them and just match the offer meanwhile the bidding team upsets their own QB room
  • Sacrifice the draft capital, maybe key players (trade) and other guys to make room under the cap

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Professor_Nutter_Butter said:

To be fair, Howell has only played one regular season game. His accuracy could be awful and we just don't know it yet.

Possible. But I know he was more accurate than all the other QBs on pro day and he had almost 58% completion % in that one game. Which I think is not bad at all since he had like, what, 3 or 4 days to get ready. In training camp he will practice with the 1st teamers so that should help with the chemistry with his WRs. He has potential. If he works out then that will be really good for the fans and the franchise. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, zCommander said:

Possible. But I know he was more accurate than all the other QBs on pro day and he had almost 58% completion % in that one game. Which I think is not bad at all since he had like, what, 3 or 4 days to get ready. In training camp he will practice with the 1st teamers so that should help with the chemistry with his WRs. He has potential. If he works out then that will be really good for the fans and the franchise. 

I think you can compare Howell and Eagles QB Jaylen Hurts in many ways. Hurts may be a stronger runner but Howell has a better arm and I believe is more accurate but we'll see. They are similar in size and both love to run. Hurts has incredible composure and is on track to be a star. Will Howell have the same composure and leadership skills? Two big questions there but if the Commanders commit to this kid, which it looks like they will, he could be the answer. He seems to be a tough kid too, able to take hits because of his build. Give him an offensive line and surround him with weapons and I like his chances from what we've seen.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Good stuff, and if this is how it could play out then Baltimore may need to accept a deal for less than two first rounders? Think about this, say the Commanders reach out to negotiate with Lamar and he tells them I'll come play for you if you deal for me and Baltimore will have to settle for one 1st and some others picks/players. Maybe we offer Montez Sweat and a 2023 1st along with Brissett. The longer Lamar holds out the more desperate Baltimore becomes to get the highest value they can for him right? 

All that being said, I expect the Colts to get Lamar given who their owner is and the cap space they supposedly have. If not them then Atlanta. Baltimore is gonna need to move him before the draft the way this is headed. 

Right now Irsay just said no thanks to Lamar, he doesn't like fully guaranteed contracts and the price in terms of draft picks compensation is too high. Now the Lions and Dolphins are out too, and Bellicheat does what he does best when pissed off by medias, he's grumbling and fuming. I doubt any team will trade for him the Ravens are asking for way too much. Then he wants probably a contract in the range of $300mil fully guaranteed ! This his the highway to lazyness and unaccountability. His stats are down ever since his 2019 MVP and he's got injuries issues.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47agzz8ndj5zzqgdfp7r

Edited by FrFan
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

8 hours ago, skinsfan66 said:

Not to beat a dead horse but, if I were lamar and did not want to go back to B-more and had no offers. I sign week 10 take the 18mil. take another 3/4 weeks to get in shape pass physical and play out the season become a free agent again. That's his leverage and B-more loses the 2 1's.  I think it has happened before and B-More would have to think about that.  

It still not that great a situation though. Jackson gives up half his salary for the season (in a prime earning year) and likely plays like crap when he comes back (due to the lack of reps and what not). And what team is going to want to fork over massive amounts of money for a guy that was a pain the ass to his prior organization, has contract demands that no one wants to meet, was injured for 2 out of the last 3 seasons, then held out and probably played poorly, and basically needs an entire offense redesigned around him? And that's assuming Baltimore still doesn't tag him again somehow. Could be a true lose-lose situation.

26 minutes ago, Jericho said:

It still not that great a situation though. Jackson gives up half his salary for the season (in a prime earning year) and likely plays like crap when he comes back (due to the lack of reps and what not). And what team is going to want to fork over massive amounts of money for a guy that was a pain the ass to his prior organization, has contract demands that no one wants to meet, was injured for 2 out of the last 3 seasons, then held out and probably played poorly, and basically needs an entire offense redesigned around him? And that's assuming Baltimore still doesn't tag him again somehow. Could be a true lose-lose situation.

It's a lot easier taking a chance on Jamar when you do not have to give up 2 1's, it was going to be a risk before because of the things you stated. Not thinking B-More is going to tag him a second time at that price. Might want to move on?  

9 hours ago, NoVaSkins21 said:

I think talk about Lamar should be in the rearview mirror.  They're not interested.  Any news about LBs that they might be pursuing? 

Rivera basically said they are on ‘pause’ right now. I would take from that the sale has progressed quickly over the last couple of weeks. They’ve been able to do some business early FA, now it’s on hold to keep the numbers steady pending sale agreement.

Hopefully that is the case anyway. Get the feeling we can then go again.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NoVaSkins21 said:

I think talk about Lamar should be in the rearview mirror.  They're not interested.  Any news about LBs that they might be pursuing? 

I just checked and Kyle Van Noy is the only LB left in the top 100 free agents list. On top of that there are no LB worth a first round pick in this draft. 🙄

Edited by FrFan

2 hours ago, FrFan said:

I just checked and Kyle Van Noy is the only LB left in the top 100 free agents list. On top of that there are no LB worth a first round pick in this draft. 🙄

I think we look at prospect like Overshown in the draft. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

I think we look at prospect like Overshown in the draft. 

I think they need both a legit enough vet and a draft pick. Mayo and Gerry should not be making the Week 1 53 man roster

There are still a few cheap vets out there who would be decent depth like Kwon Alexander, Rashaan Evans and Ben Niemann

Doesn't all this Lamar talk belong in another thread?

I watched the Chiefs/Bengals regular season game from last year.  I was concentrating on Wylie who was playing RT. He gave up a sack, several hurries and was not all that good in the passing game, aided by a ton of quick throws. In the run game however he was really good.

I know they are putting him at tackle but it sure looked to me like his best position is guard.  I know they won't do it but my preference is the RT from Tennessee in the 1st, move Wylie to RG and then we would not just have an improved OL it would actually be really good,    

Edited by Darrell Green Fan

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Doesn't all this Lamar talk belong in another thread?

I watched the Chiefs/Bengals regular season game from last year.  I was concentrating on Wylie who was playing RT. He gave up a sack, several hurries and was not all that good in the passing game, aided by a ton of quick throws. In the run game however he was really good.

I know they are putting him at tackle but it sure looked to me like his best position is guard.  I know they won't do it but my preference is the RT from Tennessee in the 1st, move Wylie to RG and then we would not just have an improved OL it would actually be really good,    

I think Cosmi will be playing RG. Maybe Wylie plays LG if we draft a RT. 

17 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I think Cosmi will be playing RG. Maybe Wylie plays LG if we draft a RT. 

Rivera has slated Charles or Paul to battle over LG. Maybe that was just pre draft talk. We sure have enough flex position players. Whether we have enough real quality is still debatable I think. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

https://nflspinzone.com/2023/03/28/5-nfl-free-agents-shockingly-still-available-late-march/

1. Dalton Risner, OG, Denver Broncos

It’s pretty wild to think that Dalton Risner is still sitting out there in NFL Free Agency at this point. The former Denver Broncos left guard has apparently not found the market he would have liked to where many around the Denver Broncos beat figured he could get upwards of $10 million per season on a new contract from some team.

Risner has been the primary starting left guard for the Denver Broncos for the last four years. There have been coaches obviously cycling in and out of Denver the last handful of years, so there are plenty of connections around the league for Risner as well, including places like Minnesota where he has connections to OL coach Chris Kuper and Miami where he has a connection to OL coach Butch Barry.

Risner was a second-round pick in 2019, he’s only 27, and he has a lot of starts under his belt. He was the Broncos’ Walter Payton Man of the Year nominee last year and has always been a tremendous asset in the community. What gives with this one? I’m not sure why Risner is still sitting as one of the available NFL Free Agents other than maybe teams just haven’t liked what they have seen from that Broncos o-line at all the last few years, and the fact that on Christmas, Risner was caught on camera shoving Broncos backup QB Brett Rypien.

He will eventually sign, but for the time being, it’s surprising to see Risner available.

2. Jerick McKinnon, RB, Chiefs

Not many players who had 10 touchdowns last season are sitting in free agency at this point in time. Jerick McKinnon was extremely efficient as one of the primary options out of the backfield and in the passing game for the Kansas City Chiefs last season, even if he fits more in the “positionless” version of offense in today’s game than anything else.

McKinnon has always been known for his ability to make an impact in the passing game. It’s a major reason why he got a big-money contract from the San Francisco 49ers back in 2018 at an average of $7.5 million per year. Obviously, that contract ended up being a bust for the 49ers because McKinnon was, sadly, unable to stay healthy enough to be available consistently.

As a matter of fact, after the 2017 season in which he racked up almost 1,000 yards from scrimmage with the Vikings, McKinnon didn’t even see an NFL field again until the 2020 season with the 49ers. He ran for five touchdowns that season and added another as a receiver, but as of the 2021 season, it seemed like his career was pretty much over with.

That is until the Kansas City Chiefs started utilizing him significantly. He was only given 72 carries in 17 games as a “running back” but McKinnon was targeted 71 times, reeling in 56 passes with a whopping nine receiving touchdowns. He started to really come on in the 2021 playoffs for the Chiefs which sparked his role for 2022.

Like I said, there just aren’t many players with 10 total touchdowns from last season still sitting in NFL Free Agency. McKinnon hasn’t had many issues with injuries the past three seasons. Although he’s an older back, he’s still highly effective in the passing game.

• Thanks 1

On 3/28/2023 at 9:18 AM, Professor_Nutter_Butter said:

He had good accuracy in college 64 percent completion 92 tds 23 ints over 3 years

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

56 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Wylie played his entire career @ G before last year, that is where he would be best.

Yeah, I really think the talk that Wylie will be our RT and Cosmi right guard is to try and confuse teams that we are absolutely taking a OT in the first. We have a bad habit of filling needs in 1st and 2nd rounds, and whether we trade down or not I think we are definitely addressing OT in the first, maybe 2nd if our top CB is available in the first. 

Cosmi made it clear his preference was to know where he was playing to work at it in the off-season, so they slotted him at RG. I think the best case scenario for them is that their rookie 1st or 2nd rounder is their starting RT, and Wylie plays LG. 

If you look at Wylie’s contract, he’s not being paid as a high caliber starting RT, it’s more like top guard money.

He was a replacement level RT in KC, we should hope he’s not our starter there for more than half a season.

Edited by seantaylor=god
  • Like 2