Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

30 minutes ago, method man said:

When is the unofficial start of the third wave? Probably ends the hope on Wagner or Tranquill unless they are still out there

I think of the third wave as sort of 4 weeks into FA or even the post draft wave where there are typically cuts.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I’m generally underwhelmed in FA when we don’t spend spend spend, but on balance the Payne contract and bringing Brissett in are very positive moves. Plus 2 solid OL. Maybe a couple of players short. Or one of real quality pre draft.

Payne isn't an addition though.  We're keeping him, which is nice, but even with him this defense didn't do anything to inspire confidence against the better offenses in the league.  They make their rep against bad O lines.  In order to make Payne worth the money, he's going to have to not fall off, Chase is going to have to bounce back better than his rookie season, and Montez is finally going to have to stop "getting close" and actually get to the QB and make more routine disruptive plays.  His stats are good, sure, but he doesn't really impact the game, and disappears against the better O lines.  Very frustrating.  

The OL we signed are "solid", but that's what the majority of our team is - "solid".  You have to have GREAT.  Maybe they find that in the draft but this staff hasn't shown me enough when it comes to drafting "GREAT" O linemen.  "Solid" isn't going to move the needle.  It's just upping our game a little in comparison to the non existent bar we have on the O line.  It's not going to bump this team up to a real division challenger, IMO.  And remember, the draft is for the future; rarely do draft picks impact the season to come.  And Ron needs to truly win (division title or at the very least a playoff win) to keep his job, more than likely.  (You never know.  Maybe he's safe with just another playoff appearance.)   I just don't see either happening.  BUT...that's why they play the games.  Maybe the other teams in the division will have lot of injuries, making things a little easier for us.  

5 minutes ago, Redwards said:

Payne isn't an addition though.  We're keeping him, which is nice, but even with him this defense didn't do anything to inspire confidence against the better offenses in the league.  They make their rep against bad O lines.  In order to make Payne worth the money, he's going to have to not fall off, Chase is going to have to bounce back better than his rookie season, and Montez is finally going to have to stop "getting close" and actually get to the QB and make more routine disruptive plays.  His stats are good, sure, but he doesn't really impact the game, and disappears against the better O lines.  Very frustrating.  

The quality of our DEs is another conversation. And yeah I’d agree with you on them.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Redwards said:

Yup.

Giants already have a leg up on us by having a superior HC (I think Daboll will prove to be the best HC in the division) and always have the Redskins' number.  They had a bad - and I mean bad - roster last year and won a playoff game.  Meanwhile, Rivera continues to flounder in Year 3.  I see nothing that will change that heading into Rivera's 4th season.

No one, but no one builds for a .500 team like Washington. 

No body but No body will out sell Ralph Brown Buick NooooooBooodie.  Old 70's commercial is what that line reminds me of.   No need to restruck contracts, its all about money up front and who will pay.  Up front bonus money can be done. Spread it out over the length of a contract and hope the player works out . If not and you cut or trade you are going to have dead cap money the next NFL year adding to the cap. They should cut players instead that are not getting the job done. The cap is good the problem is Dan. If Howell works out that would be solution, we have no proven QB.

4 minutes ago, skinsfan4128 said:

Very telling that Gates said he plans on playing mostly center for us this yr. Doesn't exactly scream endorsement for Roullier coming back, IMO.

HTTR!

If Gates is coming in to play Center then I agree. It means Roullier's time might be limited. Can't imagine we paid $5m to Gates to be a backup IOL, but he'd be a nice utility guy to have off the bench if that ends up being the case. A good problem to have. 

• Thumb up 1

34 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Bullocks film study on Gates shows he's best at center not so much at guard.  It may be telling that's where he'll be with Roullier.

https://markbullock.substack.com/p/what-ol-nick-gates-brings-to-the?r=fd8sn&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web

Gates looked far more at home in the two games playing center than he did in the two games playing left guard. At center, he’s less likely to face one-on-one matchups from defensive tackles attacking from a wide alignment. In those situations, he almost always required help to pick up the blocks successfully. At center though, he is the help for the guards and he suits that role much better.

Centers are also relied upon to pick up stunts and twists by the defensive line and against the Cowboys, who like to run a bunch of stunts, Gates showed he was capable of picking those up.

Gates was far more comfortable and played to a significantly higher standard at center than he did in the games I watched at left guard. This didn’t just apply to pass protection either. In the run game, Gates showed plenty of promise from the center position. He’s a big body for a center and uses his strength well to create movement in the run game.

Edited by HigSkin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Generally I would go for FAs younger, but I'd make a run at Bobby Wagner now that he's available.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/03/16/rams-make-release-of-bobby-wagner-official/

In his one season for the Rams, Wagner played started all 17 games and played nearly every defensive snap for the club. He recorded 140 tackles, a career-high 6.0 sacks, two interceptions, and five passes defensed. Wagner was a second-team All-Pro.

We need a smart ILB. Wagner could be like London Fletcher was to those team in his final years.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Bullocks film study on Gates shows he's best at center not so much at guard.  It may be telling that's where he'll be with Rouiller.

https://markbullock.substack.com/p/what-ol-nick-gates-brings-to-the?r=fd8sn&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web

Gates looked far more at home in the two games playing center than he did in the two games playing left guard. At center, he’s less likely to face one-on-one matchups from defensive tackles attacking from a wide alignment. In those situations, he almost always required help to pick up the blocks successfully. At center though, he is the help for the guards and he suits that role much better.

Centers are also relied upon to pick up stunts and twists by the defensive line and against the Cowboys, who like to run a bunch of stunts, Gates showed he was capable of picking those up.

Gates was far more comfortable and played to a significantly higher standard at center than he did in the games I watched at left guard. This didn’t just apply to pass protection either. In the run game, Gates showed plenty of promise from the center position. He’s a big body for a center and uses his strength well to create movement in the run game.

Just what we need something Rouiller couldn't do, pick up stunts. Parting of the Nile when he was in there. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, skinsfan4128 said:

Very telling that Gates said he plans on playing mostly center for us this yr. Doesn't exactly scream endorsement for Roullier coming back, IMO.

HTTR!

I would think that Chase is a Post June 1st cut. 

4 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Only way Chase R stays is if he agrees to a pay cut. If he says no hes gonzo.

Gonna need another guy who can play/flex C.

Draft, most likely. A Guard/Center in the middle rounds. We could use the upgrade at LG as well. Maybe we opt to go that route in the 1st round versus a Tackle. Brings Peter Skoronski into play if he's there at #16 or O'Cyrus Torrence in a trade-back. 

Leno - Skoronski - Gates - Cosmi - Wylie potentially our starting lineup in that scenario. With a mid-round center added to compete for depth at G and C. 

This staff is probably okay riding with Norwell and Paul at LG though. Not ideal, but if that's the "weak link" on the line that's better than what we had last year. 

Another cheap flier at LB, perhaps? He's just 27. I wouldn't mind taking a flier on Bush or Jack, both young and with talent. 

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Thanks 1