Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

I still think Washington needs to upgrade its line-backing corps (at least its depth) especially after losing Holcomb in free agency. Davis is much improved, but still not any kind of elite LB'er. 

Now, many may not agree, but I still think Barton is a gamble --  I suspect Washington felt this was a cheap way to address the positional need and that they believe they can develop Barton into a quality 3-down starting LB'er.  Even so, that's just two players for your starting LB'ers.   As for the others, Eifler, Mayo and Hudson, ...they are short-term replacements and may not even be on the team should one of the practice-squadders up their game. (And I'm hoping Bostic doesn't get brought back because he always gets targeted by opponents.). It just seems like Washington doesn't consider improving its line-backing as a priority, which is odd because it didn't seem that great in 2021 or 2022.

Even with the Barton contract, Washington is paying more for Kendall Fuller than they're paying for the entire line-backing corps.  And it would seem that even with just a 2-LB'er scheme, (which isn't run 100% of the time) they'd be able to afford a quality 3rd LB'er (ideally a veteran) for depth and positional flexibility.

7 minutes ago, Wyvern said:

I still think Washington needs to upgrade its line-backing corps (at least its depth) especially after losing Holcomb in free agency. Davis is much improved, but still not any kind of elite LB'er. 

Now, many may not agree, but I still think Barton is a gamble --  I suspect Washington felt this was a cheap way to address the positional need and that they believe they can develop Barton into a quality 3-down starting LB'er.  Even so, that's just two players for your starting LB'ers.   As for the others, Eifler, Mayo and Hudson, ...they are short-term replacements and may not even be on the team should one of the practice-squadders up their game. (And I'm hoping Bostic doesn't get brought back because he always gets targeted by opponents.). It just seems like Washington doesn't consider improving its line-backing as a priority, which is odd because it didn't seem that great in 2021 or 2022.

Even with the Barton contract, Washington is paying more for Kendall Fuller than they're paying for the entire line-backing corps.  And it would seem that even with just a 2-LB'er scheme, (which isn't run 100% of the time) they'd be able to afford a quality 3rd LB'er (ideally a veteran) for depth and positional flexibility.

Linebacker has become the least important position on defense. It’s the place to save some money rather than jumping at expensive free agents. Same as running back on offense. Ron has a pretty good record with finding hidden gems even if not yet at linebacker. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt on Barton, and whatever other lesser known guys we end up bringing it. If we are handing out another good size contract on defense, I’d like to see it be a CB.

22 minutes ago, Wyvern said:

They did re-sign Hudson and Mayo, do they plan on using them more?

4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I completely agree. A LBer that is a good pass rusher.

Sounds like Micah Parsons. I want less Micah Parsons and more Ray Lewis. I want that stud running the middle of the defense.

I am looking at Jack Campbell early or maybe a Henry Too'too mid rounds.

Edited by CommandB11

Just now, CommandB11 said:

Sounds like Micah Parsons. I want less Micah Parsons and more Ray Lewis. I want that stud running the middle of the defense.

You don't want a LBer that was runner up to DPotY last year and want one who is the prototypical LBer for defenses 25 years ago?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

You don't want a LBer that was runner up to DPotY last year and want one who is the prototypical LBer for defenses 25 years ago?

Partially yes. Between our Dline and players like Jamin at LB, we should have a pretty good pass rush.  We need the guy putting everyone in place presnap and flowing to the ball anywhere on the field. I would love to find a guy that plays like Reuben Foster did at Alabama. He was a heat seeking missile from the middle of the field.

Edited by CommandB11
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Yep I need to revisit the draft prospects. Don’t see the point in us bringing in another low to mid tier FA, we’ve got enough of them.

I like Overshown and Herbig in the 4rth.

Hampton is worth a day 3 flyer too. Maybe Winters, but he's small.

14 minutes ago, CommandB11 said:

I am looking at Jack Campbell early or maybe a Henry Too'too mid rounds.

I'd love Campbell. But if you want a pass rusher type it isn't him. Ivan Pace, Henley, Herbig, Andre Carter (more DE but same mold), Trenton Simpson (also excels at coverage), Drew Sanders, Nolan Smith, Overshown are the guys more in that mold. 

56 minutes ago, CommandB11 said:

Partially yes. Between our Dline and players like Jamin at LB, we should have a pretty good pass rush.  We need the guy putting everyone in place presnap and flowing to the ball anywhere on the field. I would love to find a guy that plays like Reuben Foster did at Alabama. He was a heat seeking missile from the middle of the field.

I agree with this. We have a D-line that is fierce enough to get at the opposing QB. Jamin has the speed to get down field if needed. 

We need a London Fletcher (boo to ray lewis as an example, I don't like me some rat birds).

Edited by Tress Is The Way

5 minutes ago, Tress Is The Way said:

I agree with this. We have a D-line that is fierce enough to get at the opposing QB. Jamin has the speed to get down field if needed. 

We need a London Fletcher (boo to ray lewis as an example, I don't like me some rat birds).

We need a guy who plays the run like a MIKE but plays the pass like a SAM or more modern like a strong safety.

Campbell is that. 

Fletcher actually fits that, too. He was ahead of his time as a LB in this League and its why he played so well for so long. 

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, CommandB11 said:

Those kinds of LBs are starting to become obsolete in today's NFL. Its more important to have smaller faster guys who can cover. Almost everyone's offense is 3 WR base now which means base defenses are gonna be Nickel, requiring only two starting caliber LBs. 

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

We need a guy who plays the run like a MIKE but plays the pass like a SAM or more modern like a strong safety.

Campbell is that. 

Fletcher actually fits that, too. He was ahead of his time as a LB in this League and its why he played so well for so long. 

Which is amazing for his body type (Fletcher). Not a knock on him, but he didnt have that lean physique you would associate with a LB that could drop back in coverage like he would.

• Like 1

Per Over The Cap, Commanders have $8m in cap space before the Obada one year deal hits ... so unless we plan to make some moves I can't see us being much more active in FA. We'll need that $$ to pay for our draft picks and take some money into the season. Of course there are cuts we can make that will free up some change here or there, but it's not like we are flush with cash at this point to make any significant signings.

A few moves can free up quite a bit of cap space if we wanted to bring someone else in. If we signed a TE like Schultz or Gesicki, you can cut Thomas. Corn Lucas could be on his way out once we draft a Tackle (or two). And if Roullier isn't going to be healthy we could cut him with a post June-1st designation. Those 3 cuts would take us to $25m which is plenty of cap to make some additional moves. I assume those cuts won't come without a corresponding move either in the draft or free agency though.

Drafting a Tackle and Center in the first few rounds likely means Roullier and Lucas are expendable and those cuts would get us some solid cap space to carry forward into the season and ultimately rolled over into 2024. 

A lot can shake up on the OL depending on where Gates slides and what we do in the draft. If we find out Gates is our Center, then the re-signing of Larsen makes Roullier very much expendable right now. If Gates is penciled in at LG then that makes Norwell expendable, and if we drafted a Center fairly early, it makes Roullier expendable. And if we draft a RT in Round 1, Wylie could slide to LG and Gates could be our Center, in which case Lucas might not be as expendable but Roullier and Norwell would. 

LT Leno

LG Gates, Paul

OC Rookie, Larsen

RG Cosmi, Charles

RT Wylie, Rookie

or

LT Leno

LG Norwell, Paul, Rookie

OC Gates Larsen

RG Cosmi Charles

RT Wylie Rookie

or

LT Leno

LG Wylie, Paul

OC Gates, Larsen

RG Cosmi, Charles

RT Rookie, Lucas

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Per Over The Cap, Commanders have $8m in cap space before the Obada one year deal hits ... so unless we plan to make some moves I can't see us being much more active in FA. We'll need that $$ to pay for our draft picks and take some money into the season. Of course there are cuts we can make that will free up some change here or there, but it's not like we are flush with cash at this point to make any significant signings.

A few moves can free up quite a bit of cap space if we wanted to bring someone else in. If we signed a TE like Schultz or Gesicki, you can cut Thomas. Corn Lucas could be on his way out once we draft a Tackle (or two). And if Roullier isn't going to be healthy we could cut him with a post June-1st designation. Those 3 cuts would take us to $25m which is plenty of cap to make some additional moves. I assume those cuts won't come without a corresponding move either in the draft or free agency though.

Drafting a Tackle and Center in the first few rounds likely means Roullier and Lucas are expendable and those cuts would get us some solid cap space to carry forward into the season and ultimately rolled over into 2024. 

A lot can shake up on the OL depending on where Gates slides and what we do in the draft. If we find out Gates is our Center, then the re-signing of Larsen makes Roullier very much expendable right now. If Gates is penciled in at LG then that makes Norwell expendable, and if we drafted a Center fairly early, it makes Roullier expendable.

LT Leno

LG Gates, Paul

OC Rookie, Larsen

RG Cosmi, Charles

RT Wylie, Rookie

or

LT Leno

LG Norwell, Paul, Rookie

OC Gates Larsen

RG Cosmi Charles

RT Wylie Rookie

or

LT Leno

LG Wylie, Paul

OC Gates, Larsen

RG Cosmi, Charles

RT Rookie, Lucas

I don’t get why everyone is so quick to cut Lucas. The guy is invaluable as a swing tackle who can play both LT and RT competently. I think folks forget that period of time between Nsekhe and Lucas.

I would restructure/cut Thomas and Roullier way before Lucas

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, method man said:

I don’t get why everyone is so quick to cut Lucas. The guy is invaluable as a swing tackle who can play both LT and RT competently. I think folks forget that period of time between Nsekhe and Lucas.

I would restructure/cut Thomas and Roullier way before Lucas

He's in the final year of his contract ($4m). And I think if we drafted a Tackle early on it makes Lucas expendable. It might not be necessary to cut him though, I'm just using him in the exercise of how we can create more space. But hypothetically, if we drafted a R1 Tackle and, say, a R4 IOL...

LT Leno

LG Norwell, Paul, Rookie IOL

OC Gates, Larsen

RG Cosmi, Charles

RT Wylie, Rookie OT

That's your 10 OL right there. You could cut Norwell or Charles to make room for Lucas as your 4th OT. But Charles has T/G flexibility as well, so by keeping Charles and cutting Lucas, you're still 4 deep at OT on the depth chart. Not to mention that in this hypothetical, your rookie OT is going to become your 3rd OT at worst, and you'd presume that player would be an improvement over Lucas as the backup OT.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins

1 minute ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

He's in the final year of his contract ($4m). And I think if we drafted a Tackle early on it makes Lucas expendable. It might not be necessary to cut him though, I'm just using him in the exercise of how we can create more space. But hypothetically, if we drafted a R1 Tackle and, say, a R4 IOL...

LT Leno

LG Norwell, Paul, Rookie IOL

OC Gates, Larsen

RG Cosmi, Charles

RT Wylie, Rookie OT

That's your 10 OL right there. You could cut Norwell or Charles to make room for Lucas as your 4th OT. But Charles has T/G flexibility as well, so by keeping Charles and cutting Lucas, you're still 4 deep at OT on the depth chart. 

If they draft a tackle Rd 1, he is starting and Wylie moves inside to guard where he is a better player anyway. Lucas is your third tackle and Charles is not a tackle at the NFL level, not even a 4th tackle

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, method man said:

If they draft a tackle Rd 1, he is starting and Wylie moves inside to guard where he is a better player anyway. Lucas is your third tackle and Charles is not a tackle at the NFL level, not even a 4th tackle

Agreed.

2 minutes ago, method man said:

Okay, I hear that. So in that hypothetical ...

Rookie OT starts at RT. Lucas is the backup to him at RT. Wylie kicks to RG. Cosmi becomes your backup RT? Or does Wylie kick to LG? That relegates Gates to Center with Larsen, and now you cut Norwell and Roullier. 

LT Leno

LG Wylie, Paul

OC Gates, Larsen

RG Cosmi, Charles

RT Rookie RT, Lucas

Norwell and a post-June 1st cut of Roullier gets you $11m in cap space this year.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

I'd love Campbell. But if you want a pass rusher type it isn't him. Ivan Pace, Henley, Herbig, Andre Carter (more DE but same mold), Trenton Simpson (also excels at coverage), Drew Sanders, Nolan Smith, Overshown are the guys more in that mold. 

Do we know if Carter will be able to defer his military obligation yet? He is very talented but I don't see him as a great fit for Washington.

I still am liking Campbell and Henley over the others