Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

My first thought was "it's great to see him in another jersey", but now I think it's our jersey in that pic. I'm not sure.

Do we play the Falcons this year? I really hope so.

Yup, Atlanta is on our schedule.  LOL

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

11 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Zampese has actually worked with Dalton and IMO seems the logical vet to help Howell...

I have a lot of respect for TH.  I love his enthusiasm, loyalty to the game but he lacked in arm strength and that was apparent.  I hope he does well in Atlanta.  I am hoping for Brissett but he is probably out of our price range.  

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 2

I wouldn’t be surprised if Gibson gets traded for ekeler plus a 5th or 6th draft pick. Chargers don’t really need to free up any cap space though.  In regards to LB, I would be fine with drafting Branch from Alabama with that 16th pick but if available.  With him drafted, I don’t think they’ll resign Curl.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

No thanks on Ekeler. He’d require draft compensation and cap considerations.

I’d rather trade back in the first and see if we can get Jahmyr Gibbs. And I’m not too high on RB in the first (but I’m not totally against it).

Probably need to keep our eye on LB still. I’d keep my eye on Azeez.

After that it’s just the QB that I’d expect signings for.

I love Ekeler, the talent and I love the point being made about what a talent like that could do for a young QB like Howell. I just can't stomach the compensation it would require to get him here. Plus, I think his addition would come at the expense of potentially productive guys like Samuel and Gibson who are already on the roster.

5 minutes ago, ultravin said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Gibson gets traded for ekeler plus a 5th or 6th draft pick. Chargers don’t really need to free up any cap space though.  In regards to LB, I would be fine with drafting Branch from Alabama with that 16th pick but if available.  With him drafted, I don’t think they’ll resign Curl.

Branch isn't a linebacker. So that would be a strange way to address linebacker. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Nobody has LBs that can cover today's TEs or slot WRs except maybe like two or three guys across the whole league. 

Yeah but nobody tries doing it with Mayo or Bostic either, that's precisely why they were available mid-season. We don't need to sign Edmunds or Kendricks or even spend top $ to improve at the position.

Edited by Panninho

Just now, KDawg said:

Branch isn't a linebacker. So that would be a strange way to address linebacker. 

I know he’s not a linebacker.  If he’s the best available at 16, that would be a better alternative than finding a MLB as RR and JDR’s defense love to utilize the safety position for that 3rd lb spot.  Similar to what they did with Landon Collins.  Plus, it could save more cap space by not extending Curl.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Are you guys forgetting about Milo Eiffer? Look out!

I agree with y'all. The undervaluing of LBer is baffling to me.

Teams are in nickel two thirds of snaps. When they are in nickel more and more the 2nd backer is actually a tweener type or safety who is a better match up against a TE or provides better zone coverage. Linebackers are slowly going extinct in the NFL - or perhaps more accurately are evolving into players who look - and cover - more like a big safety. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, ultravin said:

I know he’s not a linebacker.  If he’s the best available at 16, that would be a better alternative than finding a MLB as RR and JDR’s defense love to utilize the safety position for that 3rd lb spot.  Similar to what they did with Landon Collins.  Plus, it could save more cap space by not extending Curl.  

Okay, well I was a bit confused because you said "In regards to LB".

1 minute ago, MartinC said:

Teams are in nickel two thirds of snaps. When they are in nickel more and more the 2nd backer is actually a tweener type or safety who is a better match up against a TE or provides better zone coverage. Linebackers are slowly going extinct in the NFL - or perhaps more accurately are evolving into players who look - and cover - more like a big safety. 

Agree. Been trying to get this across for a few years now and I seem to suck at conveying this point. Except the only tweak I'd make is that both backers are typically that kind of player. 

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 1

I didn't really care either way about Heinicke. If he re-signed or not I would've been ok with it. Sounds like he got a good deal, good luck to him.

My preferred choice would be Brissett as a back-up, but I could easily see it being Bridgewater or Dalton.

2 minutes ago, MartinC said:

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Okay, well I was a bit confused because you said "In regards to LB".

Agree. Been trying to get this across for a few years now and I seem to suck at conveying this point. 

I get that and we have Eiffer, Hudson and now Cody to play next to Davis.

We have 1 legit starter and need a second one. 

I understand what kind of defense we run and I understand that we don't use a backer like Jack Campbell any more and why I like Overshown.

I would like to have 2 LBers. If Davis goes down, what are we gonna start Mayo and Bostic? Nightmare fuel.

I like that we play with 3 safeties and 2 LBers so often. It's fun defense. We don't have the personnel to excel. We need a LBer.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

I get that and we have Eiffer, Hudson and now Cody to play next to Davis.

We have 1 legit starter and need a second one. 

I understand what kind of defense we run and I understand that we don't use a backer like Jack Campbell any more and why I like Overshown.

I would like to have 2 LBers. If Davis goes down, what are we gonna start Mayo and Bostic? Nightmare fuel.

I like that we play with 3 safeties and 2 LBers so often. It's fun defense. We don't have the personnel to excel. We need a LBer.

Wait. Why wouldn't we use Jack Campbell? He's actually really good in coverage. He's a touch slower but has great instincts and plays the run like an old school MIKE.

Edited by KDawg

Just now, KDawg said:

Wait. Why wouldn't we use Jack Campbell? He's actually really good in coverage. He's a touch dlower but has great instincts and plays the run like an old school MIKE.

We don't use an old school MIKE anymore. You've been hammering that home for years. We need ILBs. 

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

We don't use an old school MIKE anymore. You've been hammering that home for years. We need ILBs. 

I don't think you read my comment.

Really.

Campbell can cover.

He plays the run LIKE an old school MIKE. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I was listening to JJ Halsell who was on Sheehan, didn't hear all of it

I listened to it on the way home yesterday. It seems it's contract specific and the agent has to be ok with how the guarantees are disbursed over the contract life.  So it's not a free for all for Dan to go crazy on his way out unless the agent is onboard.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I can see him as a Buffalo for sure.  He plays majority in the slot, and brings the wood on run support.  Great tackler.  He certainly cannot be a LB, however, BN is a role I think he can excel at and should get consideration.

I also understand he did not perform well at the combine.  

I really like his tape though.

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don't think you read my comment.

Really.

Campbell can cover.

He plays the run LIKE an old school MIKE. 

I'm all for Jack Campbell - what are the projections for him - round 1 or more round 2?  Would he still be available by Pick 47?

Just now, sebestian said:

I can see him as a Buffalo for sure.  He plays majority in the slot, and brings the wood on run support.  Great tackler.  He certainly cannot be a LB, however, BN is a role I think he can excel at and should get consideration.

I also understand he did not perform well at the combine.  

I really like his tape though.

That’s where I have him projected, yes. Safety/hybrid. 

Just now, Rex Tomb said:

I'm all for Jack Campbell - what are the projections for him - round 1 or more round 2?  Would he still be available by Pick 47?

Probably not. I think he’s the best LB in the draft.

• Like 1