Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Everything 118th Congress Thread

@DCGoldPants

24 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I wish there were a law which stated that in the event of a government shutdown, all bank accounts and assets of members of Congress are immediately frozen until it is over.

You'd see those ****ers pass this with a quickness then.

Or make it like the papal conclave. Lock those ****s in a room indefinitely until there is a deal. 

• Haha 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

20 hours ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

There really is a lack of civility and caring for your neighbor. You see it everywhere when you leave your house. 

It’s part of the reason I don’t talk to a guy that I was best friends with for years. He got to the point where he just wanted everything his way all the time. everywhere we went had to be convenient for him.

I would drive to his house often and hang out for the day and watch  football but he would only come to my house maybe once a year because the drive was too far for him 25-30 min. He would then go home after about 2 hours. Wouldn’t even stay for a whole game. I went to his concerts with him but he wouldn’t go to bands I was interested in.  I think he started to want a lap dog and not a friend, so I moved on. 

i think the final straw was when my wife and I wanted to go somewhere one evening to eat while we were vacationing together and he and his wife refused because they didn’t sell beer. F off. 

last year at a Christmas party I told my friends four houses down that I’d be their designated driver and they were thankful.  I was really ready to go home at 9 p.m. and so was my wife, but I had made a commitment to them. 

we waited until 1 a.m. what happened? They decided to go home with another person that wasn’t drinking. That person had to drive out of their way to drop them off. I know they only dropped them off because I saw it. I was pretty pissed. This year I haven’t offered to help anyone with anything outside of family members.

i try to be nice when I’m out but people just take advantage and don’t even have any courtesy. 

people in general are headed in the wrong direction and I don’t have one idea on how to get it fixed. 

if humanity would work together, the things we could achieve for this world and possibly beyond would be tremendous. but it will never happen.

I don't DD for people, in this day in age there is no reason to drink and drive, use an uber. I'm a recovering alcoholic and I really don't want to be around sloshed people for too long, I don't mind people drinking around me, but bars and parties are too much.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

On 9/26/2023 at 2:50 PM, Simmsy said:

I don't DD for people, in this day in age there is no reason to drink and drive, use an uber. I'm a recovering alcoholic and I really don't want to be around sloshed people for too long, I don't mind people drinking around me, but bars and parties are too much.

Edited by Fan since a Fetus
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

55 minutes ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

When I offered to drive, I was a big time drinker, but was willing to stay sober that night. So, I offered, they accepted and then they wasted 4 hours of my time. Also, they weren’t drunk and did not know any better. They both had about 2 glasses of alcohol each and drank water most of the night. They live just a few houses from me on my short street. It made sense that we rode together. 

Congrats on your sobriety! I haven’t drank since the 2nd week in July. here’s that story:

I went out drinking by myself. I had 4 beers and I believe I was drugged at the bar. I don’t remember anything after the 4th beer. I was only drinking Shiner Bock. It was low abv.After that 4th beer, I took money out of my atm and I do not know what happened to it. Sometime during the night I thought to myself that I have to let someone know I’ve been robbed.

I remember people being on top of me and I was pushing them off. I remember someone trying to lead me into a hallway, for some reason I got scared and left the building I was in.  Somehow my truck got home and I woke up in front of it with my shirt and shoes off. 

To say this scared me straight is an understatement. I will not be inebriated again. I am always in the correct frame of mind now. 

I've been drunk a few times and was lucky to have friends around me. I really don't drink anymore except for once in a great while. Once I got used to being sober all of the time, I don't miss it. Although that shot of tequila the other week tasted really good. I brought my wine and liquor collections with me when I moved and both are largely untouched. 

Good for you for taking care of yourself!

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

On 9/25/2023 at 9:56 AM, Fan since a Fetus said:

I didn’t write the constitution either and I want to get paid! Federal employees that don’t work only get back pay if Congress says they can. Last time a handful of Republicans voted to not give federal employees back pay. I don’t doubt it will happen again. 

You may not be aware of this, but legislation was passed in 2019 that guarantees it now, no vote necessary.

Look up the "2019 Government Employee Fair Treatment Act."

It was passed in the wake of the 35 day shutdown during the Trump administration.

Hope this helps.  I'm a Fed too, it's one thing you don't need to stress about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Forehead said:

You may not be aware of this, but legislation was passed in 2019 that guarantees it now, no vote necessary.

Look up the "2019 Government Employee Fair Treatment Act."

It was passed in the wake of the 35 day shutdown during the Trump administration.

Hope this helps.  I'm a Fed too, it's one thing you don't need to stress about.

thank you! I wasn’t aware of that. I’ll look into it

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

When I offered to drive, I was a big time drinker, but was willing to stay sober that night. So, I offered, they accepted and then they wasted 4 hours of my time. Also, they weren’t drunk and did not know any better. They both had about 2 glasses of alcohol each and drank water most of the night. They live just a few houses from me on my short street. It made sense that we rode together. 

Congrats on your sobriety! I haven’t drank since the 2nd week in July. here’s that story:

I went out drinking by myself. I had 4 beers and I believe I was drugged at the bar. I don’t remember anything after the 4th beer. I was only drinking Shiner Bock. It was low abv.After that 4th beer, I took money out of my atm and I do not know what happened to it. Sometime during the night I thought to myself that I have to let someone know I’ve been robbed.

I remember people being on top of me and I was pushing them off. I remember someone trying to lead me into a hallway, for some reason I got scared and left the building I was in.  Somehow my truck got home and I woke up in front of it with my shirt and shoes off. 

To say this scared me straight is an understatement. I will not be inebriated again. I am always in the correct frame of mind now. 

Thanks! Four years sober! Long story short, got super drunk and fell face down on the sidewalk. The next day, my face was destroyed...no more booze after that.

My first party that I went to after quitting was a nightmare. Everyone knew me as a party guy and heavy drinker, they couldn't believe I wasn't drinking anymore, many people almost seemed sad. At one point, I swear I'm not making this up, the entire party was debating my drinking. Half the party was proud of me, the other half wanted me to start drinking again. Incredibly awkward feeling moment, I'm extremely wary of parties from here on out.

Side story:  I used to love a good, biting IPA. Whenever I would go to a bar, I would try whatever IPA they had on tap. One night I try one, drink it and must have shown physical approval because a guy comes up to me a few moments later. He tells me that he owns the company of the beer I just tried, thanks for trying it, yadda, yadda. He puts a glass on the bar and says the next one is on his company, he thanks me and leaves. The bartender fills up the glass and that is about the last thing I remember, I woke up on my friend's couch. I was not even close to being drunk, I think I was slipped a little something extra.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

26 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

What the heck is wrong with voters. 

For the most part they're ignorant and uninformed. 

Perfect example of this is the infrastructure legislation. Republicans that voted against it take credit for it back in their home states and districts. Since most folks don't follow the votes they have no clue they're being lied to. Another area Biden gets a gold star for calling them out. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

What the heck is wrong with voters.  The GOP clearly broke the June agreement on spending levels. This is 100 percent Republicans. 

27 percent of the folks are off their rockers totally.

27% are probably buying the propaganda...

At some point who's fault is it really when we're talkin about propaganda?

I don’t think the speaker should be allowed to not hold a vote that other branches of the government have agreed to. It should be a mandatory vote and it should happen within a certain time frame of it passing the other branch.

I also think when a sitting president is trying to fill judge positions in this country they should be put to vote no matter who the speaker is. 

We are allowing very few people to have way too much say in the way this country is handling business. From 3 toes to the Alabama Tubby.

• Thumb up 4

The GOP House can't pass anything, which won't pass anything anyway. Normally at least they are smart enough so that they can say, "We did pass a funding bill!"  and they are spiderman pointing at each other. 

Thought we would be there by now. 

Postmodern politics.  Truth doesn't really matter. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Nope. A deal is a deal, and Biden is calling McCarthy out regardless what the Fascists want.

Yep...I went to our local hangout last night & was talking to one of the regulars. He's the COO of a business who does a lot of Fed contract work. Local news came on & mentioned the shutdown and he exploded. They have already been told not to be onsite next week as the Fed will be shutdown. He was ranting and raving & then said 'And Biden won't do anything!", To which I replied, "This is on McCarthy. He's a POS & reneged on his deal. Biden has nothing to do with this." Dude on the other side of this guy says, "Yeah, McCarthy is ass. He's to blame." I live in a pretty red area of RVA. I was shocked someone other than me defended Biden. Shocked. And the regular wasn't pissed at me. He was really just pissed his people weren't going to get paid next week.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

House Republicans agree to cut Defense Secretary Austin’s salary to $1

House Republicans on Wednesday agreed to slash Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin’s salary to no more than $1 after berating the top civilian military leader for the chaotic withdrawal from Afghanistan and the military’s recruitment struggles.

The measure nearly eliminates Austin’s annual $221,000 salary and followed similar salary reductions for Defense Department positions involved in diversity programs. The pay cuts are likely doomed in the Democrat-led Senate but showed the hostility some Republicans have for military leaders appointed by President Joe Biden and the progressive social policies that they support.

Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene, R-Ga., introduced the amendment targeting Austin, the nation’s first Black defense secretary, during ongoing debate over the Pentagon’s 2024 budget. It was approved in a voice vote and Democrats did not ask for a follow-up roll call vote that might have prevented adoption of the amendment.

Click on the link for the full article

• Thumb down 1

still not sure how gaetz was able to skate by an underage girls scandal to maintain public office

like shouldn't he have been impeached by now

and i know, some people may believe in our government, but at the end of the day we have a corrupt senator that hid gold in his bedroom and another one who had underage women (ALLEGEDLY) still in office and nobody does **** about kicking these unscrupulous people out.

If they aren't too young they're too old. Whole Congress needs a cleanup.

Gaetz, Boebert, MTG, McConnell, Feinstein, Grasserly off the top of my head shouldn't even be in Congress right now

• Like 1