Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Everything 118th Congress Thread

@DCGoldPants

House Passes Defense Bill, Clearing It for Biden

The House on Thursday overwhelmingly passed an $886 billion defense bill, clearing the measure for President Biden after pushing past a revolt from the far right over the exclusion of restrictions they had sought to abortion access, transgender care, and racial diversity and inclusion policies at the Pentagon.

The 310-to-118 vote reflected the bipartisan nature of the bill, which earned the support of a majority of Democrats and Republicans despite the vocal opposition of hard-liners, who staged a last-ditch rebellion on the House floor to try to block its passage. Mr. Biden is expected to sign the measure into law, maintaining Washington’s six-decade streak of approving military policy legislation on an annual basis.

This year’s defense bill authorizes a 5.2 percent pay increase for service members and civilian employees of the Pentagon. It also invests in a variety of measures to improve competition with Russia and China, including an expansion of regional partnerships in Europe and the Indo-Pacific, development of hypersonic weapons and upgrades to the nuclear arsenal.

The bill sets up a submarine deal at the heart of a new security partnership with Britain and Australia known as AUKUS, and directs hundreds of millions of dollars toward sending weapons to Ukraine and Israel. It does not settle the greater question of whether Congress will approve tens of billions of dollars in emergency funds for the two countries’ war efforts as part of a $110.5 billion spending bill that has stalled in Congress, amid a dispute between Republicans and Democrats about attaching measures to crack down on migration across the U.S. border with Mexico.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 1

Joe Biden Calls Republicans Time-Wasting Liars After Impeachment Vote

President Joe Biden blasted Congressional Republicans for wasting time and attacking him with “lies” after the House formally authorized an impeachment inquiry against him on Wednesday.

“I wake up every day focused on the issues facing the American people — real issues that impact their lives, and the strength and security of our country and the world,” the president said in a statement. “Unfortunately, House Republicans are not joining me. Instead of doing anything to help make Americans’ lives better, they are focused on attacking me with lies.”

“Instead of doing their job on the urgent work that needs to be done, they are choosing to waste time on this baseless political stunt that even Republicans in Congress admit is not supported by facts,” he said.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, China said:

Joe Biden Calls Republicans Time-Wasting Liars After Impeachment Vote

President Joe Biden blasted Congressional Republicans for wasting time and attacking him with “lies” after the House formally authorized an impeachment inquiry against him on Wednesday.

“I wake up every day focused on the issues facing the American people — real issues that impact their lives, and the strength and security of our country and the world,” the president said in a statement. “Unfortunately, House Republicans are not joining me. Instead of doing anything to help make Americans’ lives better, they are focused on attacking me with lies.”

“Instead of doing their job on the urgent work that needs to be done, they are choosing to waste time on this baseless political stunt that even Republicans in Congress admit is not supported by facts,” he said.

I think with Comer getting caught doing stuff like loaning a family member 200K after going nuts about that over Biden, or the whole shell company thing when he has one with a donor of his. Someone should sell some shirts or stickers for "Farm Team Properties" with maybe a slogan on it "How Comer Cheats On His Taxes" to highlight whole Hunter/China/Whatever nonsense they still won't admit what really happened. Ex-VPs Son used the family name to get business deals but didn't actually do anything illegal that included his father trading business deals for political favors. Maybe he made those businesses in other countries believe they would get something, but never delivered because he's a trainwreck. 

• Thumb up 1

US Congressman Introduces Bill to Ban Stock Trading in Congress

US Congressman Ro Khanna has officially introduced a bill that would effectively ban stock trading in Congress. Indeed, the bill would ban both Congressional members and their spouses from the practice and has been introduced following its initial proposal in September.

Khanna highlighted the bill yesterday in a post to X (formerly Twitter), in which he brought forth the legislation’s five main points. Among those, was the banning of lobbyist and PAC donations, as well as restricting Congress members from becoming lobbyists.

Throughout this year, the US government has sought to introduce bills that challenge the status quo of elected officials. Among them was a landmark piece of legislation that sought to place restrictions on certain stock trading activities from elected officials. Now, that bill has taken another step forward.

Specifically, US Congressman Ro Khanna has officially introduced a bill that would ban stock trading in Congress. Moreover, the legislation features five points, including the restriction of stock trading from the spouses to Congressmen. The bill would also implement new term restrictions and changes in lobbyist activity.

No way this passes (unfortunately).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 4

So... interesting. 

The Senate is staying to work on a Ukrainian funding bill that trades a more secure border for funding. 

Sinema and Manchin and Biden-staff and McConnell and Lankford are names I have seen who are working on something.  There's no guarantee this would pass the House.  

This is something that is very unique and interesting. Especially since the House is not involved in these negotiations directly (I would think a GOP principal is speaking to them).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Larry said:

Yeah. But the Democrats won't abuse it the way the GOP fully intends to. 

And that's before we even get into the GOP taking their new power, and then running further with it. 

If...

GOP - "Horayh, we got presidential immunity for Trump!"

Then...

Biden - "So I'm immune, too, right?"

@Fergasun

I agree...I'm tired of the talk about a "Smart Wall", do it already...

Then figure out how to find all these damn tunnels, does DoD already have anything to help find them?  IDF?

I still think my biggest disappointment with the Biden administration is that a path to citizenship for the Dreamers wasn't done almost immediately. 

It seems like such a no brainer for me. Immigration is a minefield. Affecting millions. But to me, being able to make those people no longer usable as poker chips seems obvious. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

So if SCOTUS were to rule in Trump's favor that means that Biden could hypothetically order that Trump be arrested and thrown in jail indefinitely with no charges, right?

Not only that, he could dismiss the supremes, dismiss both houses of Congress eliminating Congressional oversight, appoint his own military hierarchy, appoint his own administration, order arrest of anyone plus prosecution, making his own laws. Just what Trump wants to do. 

• Thumb up 2

McCarthy protégé deemed ineligible for Congress bid

California legislator Vince Fong’s last-minute candidacy to succeed Rep. Kevin McCarthy runs afoul of state law, the California Secretary of State’s office said Friday afternoon, putting an abrupt halt to the Bakersfield Republican’s congressional bid. Fong said that he would sue to stay on the ballot.

Fong’s eligibility was in question from the moment he filed to to run Monday, a gambit prompted by the sudden scramble for candidates after the former speaker said he would step down from Congress. By announcing his resignation so close to the filing deadline, McCarthy set off a chaotic domino effect that leaves him potentially without a well-positioned chosen successor.

Fong, who was once McCarthy’s district director, initially ruled out running to succeed his political mentor, saying he would seek reelection to the state Assembly instead. He reversed course after the expected frontrunner, state Sen. Shannon Grove, announced her surprise decision to pass on the race.

But Fong had already qualified to run for Assembly, and state law bars a candidate from withdrawing after last Friday’s filing deadline. He decided to forge ahead, regardless, filing his candidacy with Kern County election officials, and McCarthy swiftly endorsed him. One of his competitors, far-right conservative David Giglio, threatened to sue if Fong remained on the ballot.

• Haha 4

Tuberville’s bet against Tesla stock cost him $2.86 million profit, reports say

Alabama Sen. Tommy Tuberville’s selling Tesla stock “put options” have caused him to lose a potential profit of around $2.86 million, according to various business news websites, including biz.crast.net.

According to the website Benzinga.com, shares of electric vehicle maker Tesla rebounded from a low of $194.07 on Oct. 31 up to $253.50 on Friday.

A put option is basically a bet a stock price will decrease. The technique is used to minimize the risk of losing more than a certain amount on a particular stock.

In November, AL.com’s William Thornton reported Tuberville bought three lots of Tesla put options and sold all of the Tesla shares he held on October 17.

• Haha 1

Congress passed so few laws this year that we explained them all in 1,000 words

Much of the news in Congress this year had little to do with actual legislation, but lawmakers did manage to send 27 bills to President Biden's desk for a signature. That's a dramatic productivity decline relative to previous years, even when compared to other eras of divided government.

While all of that percolates, here is a list of everything Congress did pass in 2023 — and what it accomplished.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1