Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Everything 118th Congress Thread

@DCGoldPants

4 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Mitch will not be majority in 25. He will either be dead by then or gop will pick someone else; should they regain senate as expected.

Not sure I'd count The Turtle out yet.  He didn't get to where he is by being a pushover.  

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, Larry said:

Not sure I'd count The Turtle out yet.  He didn't get to where he is by being a pushover.  

Not only that, be careful what you wish for.  As much as I hate McConnell, I think someone like Rick Scott would be worse.

• Thumb up 1

These 10 legislators have broken a federal disclosure law, just like George Santos

Buried in a U.S. House report that alleges Rep. George Santos (R-NY) misused campaign funds on Botox treatments, Sephora products and OnlyFans, and personally benefited from all sorts of self-enriching misdeeds, House investigators also revealed that the freshman lawmaker failed to file an annual congressional financial disclosure report.

That last bit might sound a little … technical.

But members of Congress who don’t publicly disclose their personal finances in a timely manner are in violation of rules outlined by the House and Senate ethics committees as well as federal law: the Ethics in Government Act of 1978 and the Stop Trading on Congressional Knowledge (STOCK) Act of 2012. These laws are designed to safeguard against the very kinds of financial malfeasance for which Santos is accused.

And Santos isn’t alone. Ten of his congressional colleagues also failed to file their 2022 annual financial disclosure reports on time, and broke the law too, according to a Raw Story analysis of federal records and reporting from congressional research organization Legistorm.

These 11 legislators join the list of 26 other members of Congress who Raw Story has found to have violated the STOCK Act during 2023.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

What a joke.  How are closed door hearings better?  You can do the same thing at both. But one is available for the public to make a judgement on.  I didn't realized covering the NFL gave you CTE.  Congress is for the public.  Give us public hearings or forever stfu about Hunter Biden. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

@Cooked Crack

I would love to know the reason why closed door is better than open for anything but protective of the witness.  

That is, lots of pleading the 5th.  Providing testimony with strict limits and boundaries.  I am thinking of the Devon Archer testimony.  There were boundaries on what he provided.   They stopped and started.  I think the GOP had to come up with a way to spin things.  

Now Hunter can go on 60 minutes or the like and say "see, there's nothing there.  I want to clear the air... but Congress for some reason is refusing." 

We'll show your nudes in public... on like 36x22 posterboars.... but you can't testify in public.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

25 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

I think a closed door hearing would be better for facts if this was actually legitimate. You wouldn't get people showboating for the camera and cable hits. The problem here is this whole investigation is for the camera and cable hits.

Disagree. I think closed door means Comer and Jordan can lie about what was said, or how it was said. They know that open door means for their supporters they need to lose their ****, cut him off, say things that are easily debunked. All things that hurt them with people who want Hillary in jail, and Fauci sent to the gallows. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

29 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

@Cooked Crack

I would love to know the reason why closed door is better than open for anything but protective of the witness.  

That is, lots of pleading the 5th.  Providing testimony with strict limits and boundaries.  I am thinking of the Devon Archer testimony.  There were boundaries on what he provided.   They stopped and started.  I think the GOP had to come up with a way to spin things.  

Now Hunter can go on 60 minutes or the like and say "see, there's nothing there.  I want to clear the air... but Congress for some reason is refusing." 

We'll show your nudes in public... on like 36x22 posterboars.... but you can't testify in public.

The Jan 6 committee got a lot of information and it was mostly closed door. You can get competent lawyers interviewing the witnesses instead of showboating politicians. Really pin people down instead of trying to make a clip for TV or your social media. I don't think they interested in facts for this Hunter Biden investigation so it doesn't apply here.

Also, same Republicans:  

"Releasing cherry picked segments of Jan 6, with the rioter's faces blurred out to protect the identities of the people who did nothing wrong, will 'finally let the People see the Truth'."  

(I'm wondering.  Can the Senate just release all the videos?)  

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1