Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Everything 118th Congress Thread

@DCGoldPants

Well, the Dems and aligned groups have the weekend to bring all of Jordan's Best-Of hits back into public view. Will they? 

It is kind of amazing and McCarthy who was taken out by Gaetz so something like this would happen, is now supporting Jordan. He truly was the Weaker of the House. 

GOP used to run against Pelosi in every district during every cycle she was Speaker. The blueprint for 2024 for the Dems to run against Jordan is there, but with actual things to run against and to more recently tie that candidate to him. 

• Thumb up 2

The George Santos thing fascinates me. In his defense, I would be extremely irritable too if I had to carry the following on my mind every day:

• I'm indicted on multiple serious counts
  • Every one of my coworkers, even the ones on my side, hate me and snicker about me behind my back
  • The only reason they tolerate my presence is because it benefits their own selfish aims
  • It is essentially too late to fix my life's mistakes
  • I look like someone who is going as a 52-year-old lesbian professor from New England for Halloween

(Nothing against lesbians, New Englanders, 52-year-olds or Halloween.)

Edited by dfitzo53
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

17 hours ago, Fergasun said:

For all intents and purposes than, Mitch and Chuck are co-leaders of the House. Have fun in a month when all the House will get is a bipartisan Senate bill.  It will probably be a full year spending bill too.

I've been feelin this way for a while now, when those two are in the same page, House will only get what those two are okay with, no matter who the speaker is.

McCarthy showed the out they all gonna have to use to get a CR to Biden's desk, even if he lost his job for doing it.

Here is what I think is happening to the GOP.  Gaetz kicked off a GOP "silent" Civil War. 

On one side you have the hardline conservatives, Represented by the House Freedom Caucus.  There are other conservative groups.  This group also is the one that energizes the base.  They feel like they are "more pure" because they largely come from gerrymandered districts and have the luxury of representing more pure conservatism.  No one in their districts care if they cut the government -- they want it.  This side has the most vocal Twittee constituency.  They shoot their mouths off.  

On the other side is the mainstream conservsatives.  They come from more moderate districts or places that have rejected far right conservatism.  They are more likely to keep their heads down, but also more likely to raise funds, meet with donors, etc. etc.  They will face more competitive races for Congress.  

When the 2022 elections turned out to be a "red splash" -- this alliance... and at this point its clear they are an alliance... and not a party.  This alliance barely came together to vote in McCarthy.  

I am convinced that the mainstream members don't believe a hardliner (Gaetz) should knife McCarthy in the back and get to install a hardline speaker (Jordan).  Additionally, the hardliners have been parroting "Only Gym Jordan can unite the GOP" since McCarthy's speakership was dead.  Not only did they knife McCarthy, they subsequently knifed Scalise. Yes, if you go against the party line and refuse to unite against the guy the party wants, you can make it appear that the "only Gym Jordan can unite the GOP".  Even though Scalise gained support from the majority of their conference.  

The GOP will go back to the House on Tuesday and vote for speaker.  I believe the hardline strategy will be to see who publicly goes against Jordan, and then have all their MAGA base apply massive pressure to support Jordan.  

I think - this could be successful, but there are members who will be putting their seats on the line and will lose their seats with a Gym Jordan house.  If it's not Jordan, I see two things going down next:

1 - There is pressure to cool down and put McCarthy back... this would represent a truce..

2 - If the Jordan supporters force multiple rounds of voting, I could see mainstream GOP members vote "present" -- thus throwing the speakership to Jeffries.

Why?  It's easier to run against a Jeffries led House than a Jordan led House.

Edit:  Either way... I think they can kiss the 2024 majority goodbye.

Edited by Fergasun
added 2024 implication
  • Like 1

Crenshaw has always been one of these far right whackos who drenches himself in the "served in the military doing real man stuff" special sauce and pretends at times to be a semi-reasonable conservative and not just another maga-brained scumbag, which is what he truly is.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2