Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Everything 118th Congress Thread

@DCGoldPants

It says the first woman to graduate from The Citadel Corp of Cadets program.  Maybe that's something different?  I don't know, to answer your question, what it is like there having not gone myself, but I've heard enough anecdotes of the kind of harassment women have had to put up with in military institutions that I can guess.

Like I said, she isn't perfect, but a quick read makes it seem like she clears the admittedly low bar many in her party have set.  At least seems to have a mind of her own and vote some of her convictions, regardless of party line.

31 minutes ago, Forehead said:

I don't know a whole lot about Nancy Mace, but a high level read on Wikipedia...she doesn't seem that bad.

Well, you’ve stumbled into what we see a lot now. Which is that for a certain % of people on the left, if you have an R next to your name that just makes you an evil MAGA person and you certainly can’t be smart or have good ideas. 

(edit: to be clear, the same problem exists for a certain % on the right as well. The funny part is each side thinks they’re better than the other cause they don’t realize they do it too 😂 )

I’ll add to your list - supports Liz Cheney and was against the moves to sanction her, even went fundraising with her for her last reelection. 

The problem is that for a certain % of the public, details don’t matter; having a different opinion is not ok. 

I don’t know if I’d vote for her. I’d have to dig deeper. But if she was on my ballot, she would certainly be worth looking into further. But I’m not someone who only votes or judges on ideology. I have and will continue to vote for people I have ideological differences of opinion with, if I think they’d be a good leader and fit for the job (more so than the alternatives)

Edited by tshile

18 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

I've got some research to do, apparently.  I find it very hard to believe that she's the first female graduate from The Citadel...because a female classmate of mine in '84 was headed there and I doubt very seriously that she gave up.  (You do know what it's like there, I'm assuming?) 

But a degree from UGA only garners you a handicapped parking sticker (unless you're in veterinary medicine or atmospheric science, from what I know from living here for 30+ years.) 

Also, what she says and how she votes are two entirely different things. (hint)

The Citadel had a males only admission rule until 1996. One year after it was challenged by Shannon Faulkner, who lasted all of 6 days there. 

Edited by The Evil Genius
Typos
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, The Evil Genius said:

The Citadel had a males only admission rule until 1996. One year after it was challenged by Shannon Faulkner, who lasted all of 6 days there. 

Yes, I had some things wrong in my memory about that...I knew that was my friend's goal, not that it actually occurred. 

41 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

giphy.webp

Would be amazing, but doubt it happens. He's never going to be in a leadership position there again. And as much as he's a POS. He shouldn't want to raise money for his party anymore. They couldn't even stop a handful of their own from wrecking him. 

Guess this is really doing the rounds.

Edited by @DCGoldPants
  • Haha 1

Also, I'll give Mace her due for what she says here...Actually the whole 5 minutes is interesting--also talks about her Citadel time and that she's a rape survivor-- but this part stuck out (it should be set up to play at the part I'm talking about):

^^^

Guess that video doesn't include the entire segment I was referring to. You can hear/watch it here (you gotta open the link in a new tab to watch it):

https://youtube.com/shorts/-Z8beiEJ0TY?si=fAkub3kPM26Vzt2D

Jim Jordan should not be Speaker, he should be a co-defendant in Trump’s attempted coup case

On Wednesday, GOP Rep. Jim Jordan announced he’s running for Speaker of the House. In reality, the only thing Jordan should be announcing is how he pleas in response to criminal charges for being part of Donald Trump’s illegal effort to overturn the 2020 election.

Let’s be very clear: No member of Congress was more involved in Trump’s attempted coup than Jordan. We know that by the way of the House Jan 6 committee report which detailed Jordan’s actions.  As the Jan 6 committee’s final report bluntly states, Jordan was "a significant player in President Trump's efforts" to overturn the election.  

For starters, the report details that Jordan “spread lies about the election,” such as when he travelled from his home state of Ohio to speak “at a “Stop the Steal” rally in front of the Pennsylvania State capitol in Harrisburg, just days after the November election.” Jordan also trafficked in election lies “during interviews with friendly media outlets.”

But Jordan’s actions went far beyond amplifying Trump’s election lies. He was one of the key players in plotting to prevent Congress from certifying Biden’s victory.  

As the Jan 6 report explains, Jordan “participated in numerous post-election meetings in which senior White House officials, Rudolph Giuliani, and others, discussed strategies for challenging the election, chief among them claims that the election had been tainted by fraud.” (As Jordan knew full well, the election had not been “tainted by fraud” as every court that considered Trump and his allies claims to overturn the results back up.)

The report also documents Jordan’s leadership role in the effort to prevent the certification of Biden’s victory. For example, the report explains that, “On January 2, 2021, Representative Jordan led a conference call in which he, President Trump, and other Members of Congress discussed strategies for delaying the January 6th joint session.”

During that call, they talked not only strategy for the Jan 6 certification process but also stunningly “discussed issuing social media posts encouraging President Trump’s supporters to “march to the Capitol” on the 6th.  In other words, Jordan helped with encouraging people to head to the Capitol on Jan 6 that led to the attack on the very chamber he now wants to lead!

After that conference call, Jordan spoke to Trump for 18 minutes in a one on one conversation.

But Jordan was not close to being done in his efforts to block the peaceful transfer of power. The Jan 6 committee report further details, on Jan 5, “Jordan texted Mark Meadows [Trump’s then chief of staff], passing along advice that Vice President Pence should “call out all the electoral votes that he believes are unconstitutional as no electoral votes at all.”  Yes, Jordan was specifically giving advice on how Pence should illegally prevent Congress from certifying Biden’s win.

Jordan was so integral to Trump’s plan that Trump praised him to DOJ officials just a week before the Jan 6 attack. As the report notes, during a December 27, 2020, phone call between Trump and Acting Attorney General Rosen --as Trump was trying to enlist DOJ’s efforts in his coup—he praised Jordan as a “fighter.

The Jan 6 committee report goes on to document many more interactions between Jordan and Trump in the service of Trump’s effort to overturn the 2020 election, including speaking to Trump at least twice on Jan 6 via phone. However, as the report highlights--Jordan made “inconsistent public statements about how many times they spoke and what they discussed” on Jan 6.

As the report further tells us about Jordan, he “had materially relevant communications with Donald Trump or others in the White House” which is why the bipartisan committee subpoenaed him.

But Jordan refused to comply with the committee’s subpoena seeking his testimony.  

Click on the link for the link for the full article

• Thumb up 1

I guess we will see if moderates have a spine in the GOP. 

Moderates:  We hate Matt Gaetz for dumping Kevin. 

Moderates:  We are fine with supporting Gym Jordan - House Freedom Caucus member.

Yeah.  That doesn't make sense at all.  That would be giving Gaetz exactly what he wants.

• Like 2

I'm a little confused by the NY Times headline controversy.  Is it news to anyone that persistent good jobs number despite the high interest rate is concerning news for the Federal Reserves?  They are trying to bring down inflation and high jobs number means that the rise in interest rate is not working as well as they have hoped (something Legarde said at Jackson Hole that central banks around the world may need to expect).  It likely signals that US interest may need to go up more than the one or two ticks they anticipate or that interest rate may need to stay higher for longer (probably both).  The higher interest rate is having a cascading effect and will have more as the rate stays high for a prolonged duration.  None of this should be news or difficult to understand for the general public.

It should also not be difficult to understand that the President has little to do with the negative effect of a good jobs number.  You sure as hell prefer it to a crashing jobs number.  But the huge influx of capital around the world during covid is proving difficult to tame in the way that the Feds would like to.  That really has very little to do with Biden (quite frankly it would be far more troubling if the President goes meddling with the Federal Reserve for some perceived political benefit).

Did the NY Times change the headline because the average reader doesn't understand why the headline said what it said?  If so, I'm more concerned about the average readers' comprehension of the economy more so than the NY Times' decision to change the headline.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, bearrock said:

I'm a little confused by the NY Times headline controversy.  Is it news to anyone that persistent good jobs number despite the high interest rate is concerning news for the Federal Reserves?  They are trying to bring down inflation and high jobs number means that the rise in interest rate is not working as well as they have hoped (something Legarde said at Jackson Hole that central banks around the world may need to expect).  It likely signals that US interest may need to go up more than the one or two ticks they anticipate or that interest rate may need to stay higher for longer (probably both).  The higher interest rate is having a cascading effect and will have more as the rate stays high for a prolonged duration.  None of this should be news or difficult to understand for the general public.

It should also not be difficult to understand that the President has little to do with the negative effect of a good jobs number.  You sure as hell prefer it to a crashing jobs number.  But the huge influx of capital around the world during covid is proving difficult to tame in the way that the Feds would like to.  That really has very little to do with Biden (quite frankly it would be far more troubling if the President goes meddling with the Federal Reserve for some perceived political benefit).

Did the NY Times change the headline because the average reader doesn't understand why the headline said what it said?  If so, I'm more concerned about the average readers' comprehension of the economy more so than the NY Times' decision to change the headline.

I think you're over estimating the average person's math skills and awareness of what the federal reserve does. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

57 minutes ago, dfitzo53 said:

I think you're over estimating the average person's math skills and awareness of what the federal reserve does. 

I didn't finish 12th grade, but I promise you what the Federal Reserve does never once came up in a single class I was ever in.

I'm can imagine the average person maybe hears about this once in a civics class or economics elective class, if at all.  History class was always more about remembering dates then the true significance or impact of world events on how they help shape the world today.

I didn't get either civics or economics until 12th grade and it did not come up before I was out. I learned more about the history of how we got the federal reserve from Hamilton then I did public school.

I swear, man, the problem of what the average American does or does not understand about how certain things work in our country is staring us right in the fn face.

Having to do my own research in my mid-20s to better understand something THAT important speaks to how truly lost our public education system has become.  I'm almost embarrassed to admit i learned more how the Fed truly impacts my life and need to accept it in my mid-30s from debating and get school'd on Extremeskins fussing about how this was going to hurt me and others buying a house and being told to sit down and why it was worth it.

I've seen numbers suggesting nearly half the country has some type of college degree or post-secondary education (I have a Masters)...that still means nearly half the country doesn't.

Is it really any suprise the authoritarian fascists in this country are targeting the half that doesn't as their base right now?

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, bearrock said:

I suspect they changed the headline because they have a history of ****ting on good economic numbers under Biden, or really anything good attributed to Biden,  just to generate headlines. And they got called on it again. 

• Thumb up 2

8 hours ago, Fergasun said:

I guess we will see if moderates have a spine in the GOP. 

If they did, McCarthy would never have been speaker in the first place. Dude voted to overturn the election and gave the Jan 6 footage to FOXNews because he knew they’d use it to produce a lie, plus a whole bunch more. It wasn't the moderates who contested him becoming speaker, and it wasn’t the moderates who kicked him out. It was the people who said he wasn’t extreme enough.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2