Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Most disappointing coach of the Snyder era

hail2skins

On 1/2/2023 at 11:07 AM, Koolblue13 said:

We've got the Reed Daughty of coaching.

I'll always love that guy. Scrappy player who had no business being an NFL player yet stuck around for years. Not many NFL players out of the University of Northern Colorado. 

And his name is spelled Doughty. 🤓

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Captain Wiggles said:

I'll always love that guy. Scrappy player who had no business being an NFL player yet stuck around for years. Not many NFL players out of the University of Northern Colorado. 

And his name is spelled Doughty. 🤓

If he was a QB it'd be spelled Heinickie. 

• Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Are we talking HC only, or OC/DC and position coaches? IMO worst HC of the Snyder era has to go to Spurrier or Zorn. Both were utterly incompetent from head to toe. For the current crop, I put a lot of blame on Scott Turner. I don't think he's a good OC at all. He just doesn't seem to have that feeling for the game. It became clear to me after I read his resume. A long line of mediocrity, which perfectly describes the Commanders offense. I like Riverboat Ron, and I think the locker room likes him too.

On 1/2/2023 at 10:28 AM, Hooper said:

Ron is a class act, but I think Jay did a better job with far less. And had no personnel power at all.  And for all his faults, he definitely would have known the playoff implications of yesterday's game!

I still don't understand how people cant see Ron wasn't surprised about getting eliminated. I think he was surprised the reporter asked such a stupid question. Read that mans eyes, and his slight eyeroll when he replied to the question. Thats how I saw it.

Was never disappointed in Spurrier or Zorn. I had no expectations for either like others have stated already. 

I did fall for the 6-2 start under Zorn tho. Definitely was exciting until that Monday Night game versus the Steelers. They basically ran stretch n toss runs to the outside all night and couldn't be stopped. 

Oh n what I find most disappointing about Ron is his staff. It's all cronyism n nepotism hires. Gruden had a better staff which I find bizarre. 

Edited by Captain Wiggles

I figured Ron would get us to a constant state of mediocre and have players actually want to be on our team. He did that. I wish it wasn't start really slow, unsustainable win streak, flounder off a cliff and was a little more steady, but hey, we're here. Shanny and Grudes I thought we'd become winners.

Maybe I'm different than most of you, but with the question being about disappointment, there can really only be two candidates: Shanahan and Gibbs. Both brought extremely high expectations based off past success and neither came anywhere close to living up to those expectations. Whether you believe that was their fault or not, their tenures were extremely disappointing. And, for me personally, Spurrier was third because I really hoped the outside chance that he could revolutionize the NFL was an exciting prospect. 

• Thumb up 1

To me it was Rivera.  I'll explain

Marty -As a Coach -I thought he learned and only had 1 year.  Getting that team to 8-8 was not a dissapointment

Spurrier - He said who he was and the results were disappointing, but he was clear that he wanted to not focus on X's and O's, not work 100 hours a week, and just go fun and gun.  It didnt work out but he did what he said he would do.

Gibbs -2 playoff appearances and a playoff win in 4 years. By all measure he was the most successful coach under Snyder

Zorn -expected nothing and got nothing

Shanahan -He is #2.  I was very disappointed, esp how it ended.

Gurden - He is #3. But i didn't know what to expect. He was a very good offensive coach!  He just wasn't a leader.  I wish he was our OC now.  

Rivera -Here is why I am disappointed. Because he came right as Snyder was FINALLY giving up control (Not always by choice). He also came right at a time where the aftermath of the trade for RG3 was finally over. Lots of Salary cap room, AND there was a "Reset" in the NFC east. ALL the teams were rebuilding. No one was light out above any other team.  FINALLY we had a real football guy who was focused and had all the tools given to him and had the right time to actually take us back to respectability (WHich I think he did) and move us to winning. 

But then he started making dumb choices (Singing Fritz for 10m.  Giving up 3 draft picks.  Signing way to many ex CAR coaches and players. Letting Brandon Scherff walk simply to afford Wentz. And then sitting TH against the browns in a must win game.  

I am trying to avoid Recent bias play a part here -and Shanahan was close, but Shanahan had other things going against him.  

The Shanahan era broke my spirit as a fan. I know he was a retread but he was supposed to help right this ship after the nigh-on unwatchable Zorn era. And that 2012 season was the first time I felt genuinely excited about the team since Gibbs retired again.

And then it just suddenly all went to hell during that Seahawks playoff game. There should have been so many more good times ahead after that. The mediocrity should have ended. 

And yet here we are. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, thebluefood said:

The Shanahan era broke my spirit as a fan. I know he was a retread but he was supposed to help right this ship after the nigh-on unwatchable Zorn era. And that 2012 season was the first time I felt genuinely excited about the team since Gibbs retired again.

And then it just suddenly all went to hell during that Seahawks playoff game. There should have been so many more good times ahead after that. The mediocrity should have ended. 

And yet here we are. 

And the famous Washington Reverse Car Wash started to show its effects. Despite winning 2 Superb Owls, Shanny never got another coaching gig after he was slimed by Washington.

Zorn was never a HC again after Washington. Gruden has so far not become a HC again after Washington. And I predict Rivera will not get another HC gig after he eventually leaves Washington.

• Like 2

On 1/5/2023 at 11:07 AM, Stadium-Armory said:

I'm probably the only person here who thought the Zorn hire was interesting because it was not a traditional hire. I was hoping that we outsmarted the field. I was wrong and dissapointed.

When Zorn was hired, I thought WTF, He is going to be a horrible coach and I was right, Zorn was even terrible in the XFL, Zorn is easily the worst coach of the Synder era 

Edited by KWilliamsAWinfield
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, KWilliamsAWinfield said:

When Zorn was hired, I thought WTF, He is going to be a horrible coach and I was right, Zorn was even terrible in the XFL, Zorn is easily the worst coach of the Synder era 

Worst coach does not equal most disappointing. If you thought Zorn was going to suck going in, well he did. I'm asking what coach fell short of your expectations the most. I think we can agree that pretty much all of them under Snyder have.

Marty only lasted a year because he would not give up control. He is the only coach under Snider with a .500 or better record. I was encouraged by his first year  

Zorn came here to be offensive coordinator, and they offered him the job as head coach when they could not find anyone else. He supposedly got inspiration for plays from video games.

Shanahan was bad, anyone who states their reputation on QB John Beck, well....  https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/29/shanahan-stakes-his-reputation-on-grossman-beck/

Jay was bad, once said that halftime adjustments were overrated

Ron: Someone made an excellent comparison earlier of him to Jeff Fisher. 

Gibbs 2.0: not going to touch the immortal Gibbs

If you subtract Gibbs and flip it around, and ask which of these was the best coach, it would be like arguing which midget is taller

Edited by Redskinscub

Disappointment? Probably Mike Shanahan. I remember that after the Dallas game in 2012, I was certain that we were looking in at the beginning of a dynasty.  Gruden is probably next on my list because until the final game, I thought we would at least become a perennial playoff contender. I also enjoyed our offense from 2015 and 2016 and often wonder what might have happened if we'd had a top 10 defense at the time. Rivera hasn't disappointed me primarily because Mike taught me once again not to trust retreads.

Steve Spuririer. I really thoguht he could do a good job here having been a long time Gator fan. But as soon as he went deep every other play in preseason and I heard he was not spending his nights at the office I knew they made a horrible error. Great college coach terrible HC. 

I have to point out, there is one thing just about every person on that list has in common - they underformed from thier best work. The type of organization Dan likes and has created makes it very difficult to do your best work. I have worked in that type of environment and it's physically and mentally draining. You make mistakes you never would otherwise. We all have adversity but dans type of organization is constantly draining to the point of complete exuastion.