Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2024 & Presidential Cage Match: Dark Brandon 46 vs Felonious Farty 45

88Comrade2000

Like David Brooks said recently, "Polls are for venting now"...

I totally agree with you @Jumbo that media is looking for things to freak out about, and I'll go further that's why we aren't seeing a massive upheaveal in how we do polling because it fits their current need.

I wish the government would make an app for citizens to track their local politicians and let voters put their input on how their politicians vote on certain bills for them to also see.  The Internet has opened a door to near instant mass communication and exchange of ideas, so maybe the whole concept of polling is archaic and we should be thinking beyond it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Larry said:

I thought you were fond of telling us you would willingly throw people in a wood chipper because you don't like their findings. 

:)

There's a lot of valid reasons to throw certain people into wood chippers afaic. 🙂

But it's important to do it with humility and not a sense of superiority.😇

Though I do reject your assertion as stated. You'd need to be more specific with an example. 

I.e., if the "findings" are the product of really dangerous idiocy or even uglier human traits, then indeed, chip away! 👹

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Like David Brooks said recently, "Polls are for venting now"...

I totally agree with you @Jumbo that media is looking for things to freak out about, and I'll go further that's why we aren't seeing a massive upheaveal in how we do polling because it fits their current need.

I wish the government would make an app for citizens to track their local politicians and let voters put their input on how their politicians vote on certain bills for them to also see.  The Internet has opened a door to near instant mass communication and exchange of ideas, so maybe the whole concept of polling is archaic and we should be thinking beyond it.

My Congressperson lets us know every month what Fascist policies he's voting for and which ones for We the People that he's voting against. It's depressing. It's also Texas where even the people in Uvalde voted to reinstall the executive branch. 

7 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

My Congressperson lets us know every month what Fascist policies he's voting for and which ones for We the People that he's voting against. It's depressing. It's also Texas where even the people in Uvalde voted to reinstall the executive branch. 

No doubt in my mind some people know what they are getting and they like it, that's why they keep coming back for more.

I'm not convinced most Americans know who represent them or what they're doing on a daily basis.  They know if they are R or D, maybe, at best, and its only recently this disconnect has become so obvious that states like Nebraska are trying to get ballot questions during elections because stuff they like and want their representatives won't even vote on for them or bring them for a vote.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/11/15/nebraska-ballot-initiative-paid-sick-leave/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

Ol Steny Hoyer had probably the best attempt with the Dome Watch app. Haven't used it in awhile but adding the ability to communicate with House members would be fantastic. Someone send a email or telegraph to ol Stenys office with such a suggestion. 😏

• Thumb up 1

16 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

What's the normal quip about the last president to leave with higher deficit spending ding was blah blah blah?

Need it for family discussion. 

Bonus points for reputable link to support it.

****larrysaysallthetime.com

Edit: meant to add, @Larry might actually have a link handy. 

Edited by dfitzo53

52 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

What's the normal quip about the last president to leave with higher deficit spending ding was blah blah blah?

Every Republican president has left office with a higher deficit since the Big Bang. (actually think it was Eisenhower)

Every Democrat president has left with a smaller deficit since FDR.

Edited by AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

How I got the data:  

Go to usgovernmentspending.com

Charts > Make Spending Chart  

Go down below the Chart it shows you, and select the following options:

$ bln 2012. (This will adjust the numbers for inflation.)

Start in FY 1920

Under the first "category", pick "Federal Deficit"

Then I ignore the pretty chart,  and go down to where it shows the actual data, like a spreadsheet. 

The data shown is for federal fiscal years, which start Oct 1. Presidents take office 4 months later, in late January. And typically the federal budget has been passed, or nearly so, when they take office. 

So I treat the "handoff year" as the last year of the outgoing President. And as the "when he took office" year for the New Guy. 

So, for Trump, I compare "what was the deficit for FY2021?" ($2,334), compared to "what was the deficit for FY2017?" ($617).

And for Obama, I compare 2017 vs 2009. 

I ignored intervening years, because I didn't want to get into "Well, look, it went down this one year."  I only look at the year a President took office, and the year he left.  

(Gerald Ford didn't follow the pattern. And was only President briefly. So I treated that as though there was a President "NixonFord".)

Edited by Larry
  • Thanks 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Another source with discussions if you're interested 

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2019/jul/29/tweets/republican-presidents-democrats-contribute-deficit/

• Thanks 1

If by some weird reason Haley actually wins the nomination, I expect the Republicans will stay home or write in Trump, which is a big deficit for that party and they will lose all down the line. 

They won't vote for a woman for president, especially the Christian Nationalists who want to take away women's right to vote among their other regressive plans. 

• Like 1

WaPo - Donations to GOP drop as worries mount about the party’s finances

The Republican Party’s finances are increasingly worrisome to party members, advisers to former president Donald Trump, and other operatives involved in the 2024 election effort, according to 10 people familiar with the matter.

The Republican National Committee disclosed that it had $9.1 million in cash on hand as of Oct. 30, the lowest amount for the RNC in any Federal Election Commission report since February 2015. That compares with about $20 million at the same point in the 2016 election cycle and about $61 million four years ago, when Trump was in the White House.

The Democratic National Committee reported having $17.7 million as of Oct. 30, almost twice as much as the Republican Party, with one year before the election.

“It’s a revenue problem,” Tennessee RNC member Oscar Brock said. “We’re going through the same efforts we always go through to raise money: the same donor meetings, retreats, digital advertising, direct mail. But the return is much lower this year. If you know the answer, I’d love to know it. The staff has managed to tighten down on expenses to keep the party from going into the red.”

Donors have not cut as many large checks to the RNC in recent years, and the party’s small-dollar program has also suffered, according to people familiar with the party’s finances, who, like others, spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss internal party details. Some donors aren’t giving to the RNC because they think that will help Trump, which they don’t want to do, these people said, while others have said they prefer to wait until 2024 to give. Some have grown frustrated with the party’s leadership, people close to major donors said.

Visit https://wapo.st/3Rf2BXN to read the entire article. 

• Thumb up 2

Republican money dropping because of several things:

1. Monthly contributions are going to Trump to cover his legal expenses. Preparing for the criminal trials alone is mega millions.

2. Even though TFG might win his party's nomination, the non-MAGAats don't think he'll win the general. Even with all their voting fraud prep now employed. 

3. They are finally realizing that their "win" over Roe v. Wade is a miscalculation that will ruin them for decades. There are more women voters than men voters, based on population figures. There are more young voters registering now than ever as conservative boomers are dying, and these younger voters are progressive and are voting that way.

4. Republicans only hope is to win majority in the Senate and keep the House, which that majority demonstrates every day how dysfunctional they are. So either might end up losing their goal. 

I said before and I'll say it again, the supremes overturning Roe v. Wade is their biggest mistake ever made, perhaps in all of our political history. 

• Thumb up 1

Trump had Mein Kampf by his bedside in past days. Whether it was an English translation and whether he actually read it, it's been his goal for decades. He was working both parties to figure out which he could exert control by the money people. He tried Democrats and they weren't having his obviously corrupt ass. So he chose Republicans and their money people (John Birchers) and Christian Nationalists who want theocracy obtained by autocracy. The Hell with We the People. 

And that's what's been brewing for decades. The Southern Strategy was conceived to bring on board the disgruntled Confederate generations who were angry for decades about losing the Civil War. Christian Nationalists to add some "morality) to their scheme with a by product of returning women to their (God given) subservient role of serving lord and master, and poor and middle class men that they can be rulers of their households with some power over somebody. 

Their vision is horrible for humanity. It just is, and must be stopped. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

On 11/26/2023 at 8:22 PM, LadySkinsFan said:

If by some weird reason Haley actually wins the nomination, I expect the Republicans will stay home or write in Trump, which is a big deficit for that party and they will lose all down the line. 

They won't vote for a woman for president, especially the Christian Nationalists who want to take away women's right to vote among their other regressive plans. 

It would chaos for them, but far better for the country as a whole to have everyone except Haley drop out now.

14 hours ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Visit https://wapo.st/3Rf2BXN to read the entire article. 

Not as juicy as it sounds, call me when they start giving up in States because they don't have money coming up to the election.  Now that 2023 election is over, it's normal for a drop (per the article).  Trying too hard to tie to people being made, it only counts in if it actually impacts elections how much money they do or don't have.

• Like 1

Koch Network letter out today - Americans for Prosperity going all in on Nikki Haley.  Basically they said the country is ready to move on from Trump and Biden and their polling indicates Haley will be the strongest Republican candidate.  They also pointed to Trump's negative baggage.  DeSantis gets a shout out, but the letter suggests the "move on from Trump folk" condolidate with Haley.  

I think there is a GOP debate next week and DeSantis taking on Newsome this week?