Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2024 & Presidential Cage Match: Dark Brandon 46 vs Felonious Farty 45

88Comrade2000

THIS IS THE TRUMP STOCK MARKET BECAUSE MY POLLS AGAINST BIDEN ARE SO GOOD THAT INVESTORS ARE PROJECTING THAT I WILL WIN, AND THAT WILL DRIVE THE MARKET UP

I quote this without comment.  If you hear this from someone in the next few hours, or days or weeks, no doubt they are all in on Cult 45.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

I quote this without comment.  If you hear this from someone in the next few hours, or days or weeks, no doubt they are all in on Cult 45.

And the Great Depression ended because the market knew that the US was only 2 years away from entering WW2. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Fergasun said:

I remember in the summer of 2009 talking to a guy who blamed the crash of late 2008-early 2009 on Obama.

• Haha 1

Slightly changing population in Virginia. Some of the immediate DC area decline is driven by more remote working since COVID, where people are willing to be up to a couple of hours away for the now very rare occasions they go to the office.

image.png.c7b0d67e3e61f9c8e78274a6e8e0f3a4.png

https://statchatva.org/2024/01/29/amid-slow-population-growth-virginias-demographic-landscape-is-being-transformed/

Migration is not going to make a difference in voting at the state level but it potentially might make more rural counties less red (and metro areas with a smaller blue majority), although for many counties it will take more than a few percent population shift. The article mentions disproportionately higher death rates among the older rural population during the pandemic, but again not likely to be large enough to flip a county.

Edited by Corcaigh
  • Thanks 1

NY Times:

The deeper issue, though, is that regardless of the electoral impact of a Swift endorsement, the cultural valence of the Swift-Kelce romance isn’t just normal and wholesome and mainstream in a way that conservatism shouldn’t want to be defined against. It’s normal and wholesome and mainstream in an explicitly conservative-coded way, offering up the kind of romantic iconography that much of the online right supposedly wants to encourage and support.

Normally you can’t scroll for more than a few minutes through right-wing social media without encountering some kind of meme valorizing the old ways of jocks and beauties, big bearded men and the women who love them, heteronormative American romance in some kind of throwback form.

The quest to make sense of the right’s anti-Swiftism has encouraged weak attempts to suggest that the Swift-Kelce romance is somehow subverting these traditionalist archetypes and modeling a more progressive idea of romance — that because she’s richer and more famous than he is and he respects her career, they’re basically one step removed from a Bay Area polycule or Brooklyn open marriage.

But come on. A story where the famous pop star abandons her country roots and spends years dating unsuccessfully in a pool of Hollywood creeps and angsty musicians, only to find true love in the arms of a bearded heartland football star who runs a goofy podcast with his equally bearded, happily married, easily inebriated older brother … I mean, this is a Hallmark Christmas movie! This is an allegory of conservative Americana! This is itself a right-wing meme!

But the celebrities aren’t on their side precisely because the right keeps making itself so weird that even temperamentally conservative people (which both Swift and Kelce seem to be) find themselves alienated from its demands.

There are two key reasons for this self-defeating weirdness, both of them downstream from Trump’s 2016 victory. The first is the realignment that I’ve discussed a few times before, where the ideological shifts of the Trump era made the right more welcoming to all manner of outsider narratives and fringe beliefs (including previously left-coded ones like vaccine skepticism) while the left became much more dutifully establishmentarian. This realignment made the right more interesting in certain ways, more inclined to see through certain bogus narratives and official pieties — but also more inclined to try to see through absolutely everything, which as C.S. Lewis observed is the same thing as not really seeing anything at all.

The second reason for the right’s abnormality problem is that even normal people in the Republican coalition overlearned the lesson of Trump’s election. Having made the safe and moderate choices in 2008 and 2012 and watched both John McCain and Mitt Romney go down in defeat, Republicans made a wild-seeming choice with Trump and saw him win the most improbable of victories. And there was a reasonable political lesson in that experience, which is that sometimes a dose of destabilization can open a path to new constituencies, new maps, new paths to victory.

But the dose is everything, and trying to be abnormal forever because it worked for you once is self-defeating in the extreme. The goal of destabilization, after all, is to eventually create a new stability, in which your party and vision and coalition are understood by most Americans to be a safe and normal place to belong. That is what the Trump-era right has conspicuously failed to achieve. And it won’t get there so long as it sees even cultural developments it should welcome, romances that it should be rooting for, and shakes its head and says, “It must be a liberal op.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/31/opinion/taylor-swift-travis-kelce-republicans.html

IMO, they're gonna come for her and regret it, big time.

• Like 6
  • Thumb up 2

1 hour ago, The Evil Genius said:

You can disagree with his policies but I think it's hard to compare the humanity of Biden vs whatever the hell Trump is. 

Yeah dude, but did Biden ever hug the American flag on stage? 😀

• Haha 8

2 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

You can disagree with his policies but I think it's hard to compare the humanity of Biden vs whatever the hell Trump is. 

I believe the word your looking for to describe Trump is sociopath.

• Thanks 1