Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2024 & Presidential Cage Match: Dark Brandon 46 vs Felonious Farty 45

88Comrade2000

22 minutes ago, Larry said:

Given a choice, what I'd like to happen is

Trump nominated

Historic loss on Election Day. 
Not just him, but the down tickets as well. 

There is one scenario that is more interesting

Trump is nominated, but current events rip it from him, or the RNC won't nominate him at all.

Trump goes independent

Trump endorses his own loyal down ticket

Republican base is royally fractured

Dems win practically every contested race plus a ton they have no business winning.

Can't say I want that more than just waxing the floor w/ Trump tho.

I'd give up some House and Senate seats just to stick it to em all over again.

8 minutes ago, balki1867 said:

I'm actually surprised Tim Scott is running for President. He seems like a viable candidate from the pre-2016 era of the Republican party and he'd have no reason to go toe-to-toe with Trump at the moment. For those types of Republicans, I'd agree 100%-- let Trump burn things to the ground and then show up for the rebuild. 

the problem with this mindset is political careers don’t happen by waiting to find where you fit in. 

if you’re on the rise you gotta take advantage of it. Waiting doesn’t help much usually, usually it hurts. Waiting 4 years isn’t necessarily an option. 

of course the exception is going after an incumbent for your party, that’s a quick way to end your political career

15 minutes ago, tshile said:

of course the exception is going after an incumbent for your party, that’s a quick way to end your political career

Which is why the move for any GOP presidential hopeful was to wait until 2028 when Trump would either be gone or finishing his second term.

Sometimes striking while iron is seemingly hot isn't wise. See Meatball Ronda Santis. His political future is taking Rick Scott's Senate seat in the future at best. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Which is why the move for any GOP presidential hopeful was to wait until 2028 when Trump would either be gone or finishing his second term.

Sometimes striking while iron is seemingly hot isn't wise. See Meatball Ronda Santis. His political future is taking Rick Scott's Senate seat in the future at best. 

Even if my prediction of a Trump election in November 2024, I'm not sure how well that bodes for his VP heading into 2028.  Trump might be able to flip the 50K or so votes he needs in a few states to eke out  an electoral college win over an old as dirt Biden who hasn't completely shaken inflation, but then we'll have four more years of PR buffoonery that certainly won't help the GOP cause in the next election. Voters are fickle.

Again, the "listless vessel" comment by DeSantis released over the weekend reflected his frustration over being 40 points down to a troll.

2 hours ago, Larry said:

Given a choice, what I'd like to happen is

Trump nominated

Historic loss on Election Day. 
Not just him, but the down tickets as well. 

I think that isn't too unlikely. Could see him losing by around the same EVs but more popular votes. What was it last time? 7M? Could be more this time around if enough pissed off younger folks who just watched the GOP fight against debt relief while fighting for tax breaks for the richest, and women who even if they never would get an abortion themselves, not wanting a GOP that would take away that choice.

I could see a few places like PA, VA, AZ, Wisc, Mich, Minn, CO going hard blue. Some of those States where their GOPs don't have a lot of money could get wiped out because they will end up spending into debt for Trump and not their own people, while still getting massively outspent today. 

Edited by @DCGoldPants

"Politician" as a job is just about over.  That voters want Vivek over I think Senators and House members need to watch out for the rich and famous.  Maybe more hollywood actors would get into politics if their strike continues.

This is also why corporations do what they want....

Given the Republican Party’s absolute inability to do or say anything to stand up to Donald Trump, I can envision a scenario where Trump is on the ballot in all primary states and wins all of them. Then by the time of the convention, he’s serving a jail sentence. At that point, does anyone have any expectation that the party would successfully nominate someone else? I don’t think so. They’d nominate Trump and try to run a campaign for him while he’s in jail. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, TheGoodBits said:

Given the Republican Party’s absolute inability to do or say anything to stand up to Donald Trump, I can envision a scenario where Trump is on the ballot in all primary states and wins all of them. Then by the time of the convention, he’s serving a jail sentence. At that point, does anyone have any expectation that the party would successfully nominate someone else? I don’t think so. They’d nominate Trump and try to run a campaign for him while he’s in jail. 

This. They don’t have the balls to replace him for 2 reasons.

1. His supporters would literally kill everyone who tried to take him off the ballot.

2. If Trump were removed from ballot, his supporters would stay home or maybe they mount a third party bid.

11 minutes ago, TheGoodBits said:

At that point, does anyone have any expectation that the party would successfully nominate someone else? I don’t think so. They’d nominate Trump and try to run a campaign for him while he’s in jail. 

Running a campaign for a guy in jail is like an express way ride to losing everything. Madness.

RNC is in a good ol fashioned pickle here. There straight up is no good option. Either platform the boogyman and get blown the F out. or replace him and have a bunch of your base vote for him and whoever he nominates anyway. Quite literally pick your poison.

On the glass half full side, if there are no good options, you can't make a bad one either? right?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Larry said:

Of the 51%, 80% of them know fully well that they're lying.  They just don't want to admit that they intend to vote for him anyway.  

Sadly, I don't think they are lying. They literally can't comprehend that Trump's behavior turned off a lot of folks, particularly his erratic behavior at the start of Covid.

Nick Catoggio, who used to write for Hot Air as Allahpundit and now is with the Dispatch, likes to say "we're never coming all the way back from this" with regard to the impact Trump has had on the GOP.  Are there going to be any future presidential elections won by the Democrats that aren't going to feature the same crap we saw in 2020, including episodes like January 6?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Are there going to be any future presidential elections won by the Democrats that aren't going to feature the same crap we saw in 2020, including episodes like January 6?

This is exactly why it is so important to prosecute the conspirators to the fullest extent of the law. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2