Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nah Nah Nah…Nah Nah Nah…Hey Hey Hey…GOODBYE CLOWNSHOES

Koolblue13

Voice of Reason: great insight, thanks! Bummer this won’t happen quickly, but I can be plenty patient as long as it’s definitely happening. At what point, would you say, is there no going back on this for Snyder? Is it right up until a deal is closed? In other words when can the celebration truly begin??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, woodpecker said:

Voice of Reason: great insight, thanks! Bummer this won’t happen quickly, but I can be plenty patient as long as it’s definitely happening. At what point, would you say, is there no going back on this for Snyder? Is it right up until a deal is closed? In other words when can the celebration truly begin??

Unless the nfl takes the team from him, they can change their minds until they sign their names and money starts moving. 

practically - as soon as he decides it’s final that he’s not getting a minority partner that can bail him out (hard to believe he would. I would think it’s far more likely he can work out a deal where he sells 60% and loses control but maintains the investment and someone else can fix the money printing machine he broke)

he’s been backed into a corner. If he wants out he has limited options and “do nothing” isn’t one of them. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, tshile said:

Also. As a general comment. If you think an nfl franchise is sold without the nfl brass and owners having some sort of involvement then I think that’s being incredibly naive.

if you want to argue on how much of a say - fine that’s just opinion as far as we know anyways. But no say? 😂 I don’t think that **** works that way. Sorry 

Yeah, I think that's how that dude got Carolina. Someone else offered more but they gave it to ol boy because the league was familiar with him.

Is there a legit cause to be slightly concerned about the Jay-Z involvement? We just left a situation where an owner thought they knew the biz and used their voice to make football decisions that should best be left to the pros. In an ideal situation an owner is an owner and the GM is the GM. And the quote posted earlier about JZ already being involved due to his sports agency is giving me flashbacks.

I don't know much about him though, so someone who does please convince me we aren't going to have Dan Snyder part 2. 

1 hour ago, Zim489 said:

They’ll fast track it. It’ll be done on 2022

The only thing they might fast track is the approval.

Here’s the 3 most recent sales, at least I think they are:

Bills- 1.4 Billion in 2014

Panthers- 2.275 Billion in 2018

Broncos- 4.65 Billion in 2022

As you can see, the sale price increased with each sale. 

The nfl Is going to let the sale process play out. They are going to want as many bidders as possible, to drive up the price. If Bezos really wants the team; we know he can outbid anyone.  The nfl would be stupid to not let the sale process play out; the higher the team sells for the better it is for other franchises. The other teams will increase in value.  Seeing the sale price increase everytime a team has been sold, the last 3 sales; they nfl wants Washington to sell as much as they can. That can only happen if there are multiple bidders.  Washington sells for a lot more than Denver; then the next team sells for more. Seattle is rumored to be next team that’s put up for sale.

The nfl got Dan to sell. There’s none of this selling just a minority share. No one would do business with Dan and the nfl wouldn’t approve anything other than a full sale.

So let the sale process play out. Very doubtful it can be done in 2 months.  The nfl isn’t going to rush things so the team can have new people in place for 2023.

When opening day starts in 2023, we will have a new owner.

Yeah, 2023 will be a wash year since we will still have incumbent coach or a stopgap coach but the team will have new ownership and the rebuilding starts in 2024.

Edited by 88Comrade2000

16 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Yeah, I think that's how that dude got Carolina. Someone else offered more but they gave it to ol boy because the league was familiar with him.

its among the most exclusive clubs in the world. And only the controlling share people are part of it. 

the idea that they don’t have some control over who enters their club, to me, is just laughable

the irony being snyder is probably a good example of them getting caught slippin, and not letting that ever happen again. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

Is there a legit cause to be slightly concerned about the Jay-Z involvement? We just left a situation where an owner thought they knew the biz and used their voice to make football decisions that should best be left to the pros. In an ideal situation an owner is an owner and the GM is the GM. And the quote posted earlier about JZ already being involved due to his sports agency is giving me flashbacks.

I don't know much about him though, so someone who does please convince me we aren't going to have Dan Snyder part 2. 

Jay Z would just be a minority owner. Jeff  Bezos would be the one hiring a Gm and coach.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

Is there a legit cause to be slightly concerned about the Jay-Z involvement?

he owned part of the nets but I don’t believe it was a controlling share (?) and he left because conflict of interest with being in sports agency

hes also gotten into sports gambling companies which seems like a big issue to me but I haven’t seen anyone raise it yet 

Just now, 88Comrade2000 said:

Jay Z would just be a minority owner. Jeff  Bezos would be the one hiring a Gm and coach.

I understand that much. However, JZ will indeed still be an owner. And I assume that Bezos would be more likely to take his advice on football matters than an employee GM. I am getting the vibe that Bezos will be the check writer but JZ will be the football guy.

Again, I don't know this, but is it a legitimate concern?

2 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Yeah also this. He doesn’t have enough to be a majority owner 

unless he’s appointed as the main person on behalf of a group that owns the majority share - but I listens to someone (can’t remember who…) break down how the nfl decided a while ago they want a sole owner of the controlling share and don’t want to get into the business of groups owning the majority share 

Just now, bowhunter said:

I understand that much. However, JZ will indeed still be an owner. And I assume that Bezos would be more likely to take his advice on football matters than an employee GM. I am getting the vibe that Bezos will be the check writer but JZ will be the football guy.

Everyone with any credibility speaking on the matter, that I’ve heard, basically says owning a minority share gets you a good investment and the best seats at home games and that’s it. 

maybr he’d get his marketing people to be who is hired to do marketing things. 

but he’s not gonna have a say in anything that matters unless the person owning the controlling share decides to defer to him on something (which seems unlikely…)

now if they’re good friends and have a high level of respect for each other then I would assume they would talk often and his thoughts would be considered….

I don’t know how anyone could put forth a solid argument either way on whether that’s good or bad 🤷‍♂️ he doesn’t haven’t a track record with it 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

They isn’t the NFL because they’re not really part of the NFL.

They already have everything written up. Financial are already known. Jeff will bypass some normal steps and the league will allow it. 

I expect bezos to be owner before year end

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bowhunter said:

JZ would be an investor. Jeff is going to spend 5-7 billion dollars; he’s not going to be relying on JZ for football decisions. Jeff will hire the right people.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

They already have everything written up. Financial are already known. Jeff will bypass some normal steps and the league will allow it. 

I expect bezos to be owner before year end

Listen, none of us know how this is going to go down. But VoR is at least providing some insight from his personal experiences in high level finance, with plenty of disclaimers along the way. But it’s information based in some facet of reality. 

You’re just…saying stuff you can’t know about in a definitive tone. 

Why are so many people here adopting this posting style. It grates against the brain to read it when you’re just as full of **** as the next of us bozos. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

There was a guy in the Broncos sale who was afraid of starting an auction style bidding war, where multiple sides boost their bids.

Any idea if something like that is kinda handled on the fly, or does that knock things back several steps and massively set back the process?

32 minutes ago, Conn said:

You’re just…saying stuff you can’t know about in a definitive tone. 

Why are so many people here adopting this posting style. 

Why? 

Social media. That's why. 

It's given a voice to the voiceless  & taken the guess work out wondering if someone is wearing the ol clown shoes or not.  :) 

• Like 9
  • Thumb up 1

7 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

It doesn’t matter what the league wants.  Transactions take the time they take.  You can’t force a billion dollar transaction because you want it to happen.  

Also, the NFL isn’t the major player in the transaction.  It’s Dan selling to whoever.  The NFL has to approve it.  But that’s all they really are involved with.  Otherwise it’s between Dan and the buyers. 

I’d disagree with this.

Great insight on your posts on this subject, I do think this situation is different though. It’s not a mainstream purchase of an IT firm, Energy firm, or say a complex company in the finance sector. I would argue that a the purchase of an NFL team is almost risk free and, in context, not ‘complex’ at all. And whilst billionaires buy companies to make more money, there is an element of owning an NFL franchise that is about stature, not money. So does Bezos for example care how profit making the team is going to be? I’d suggest not really. You’re breaking even over the duration as a minimum. The money is a given in the NFL.

Big money purchase but where is the risk? Get clarification via the league on the ongoing legal matters, anything financial is a straightforward tick in the box. There needs to be due process but I don’t see it following normal course of business if it were Bezos buying the team. A consortium with complex financial backing is very different though. 

The league has Dan in a corner. I do think they will pull an inside job on the sale. Ultimately they have to drop 24 votes to endorse a sale. Dan get his money quicker by selling to the leagues preferred buyer.  

Dan selling to Bezos though, that’s going to sting for Dan. If he swallows his pride and does that then we know the league really does have him by the balls. 

Timing looks very tight but I also think the league would ideally like to have this set up for the new 2023 league year. 3/4 months looks about the minimum timeline to me. 

There is a league meeting mid December. Hopefully there is something tangible for them to discuss at that stage on the sale.

Edited by Est.1974
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

For me it all boils down to what you want from a new owner, I want:

- One of the best stadiums the world over (in a good location)

- The best practice facilities the world over

- A front office with a clear vision loaded with high end talent evaluators

- A more youthful creative forward thinking coaching staff

- Potentially a new brand, although I don’t mind Commanders it’s kinda so so, I’d be open to something a little more exciting

- Elite players buying into the perception of the franchise and wanting to come here

Not asking for much then 😅

I’m sure there are plenty in the running that could provide much of that, but IMO Bezos has the facilities to make it all happen especially working with Jay Z, he’d be my choice

Genuinely, if Bezos wants to buy the team, and that becomes public/general knowledge, why would any other interested parties go through the time consuming process of putting together a consortium, trying to accumulate finances, potentially set up borrowing agreements etc etc. 

Smart business people won’t enter a race that they know they will never win. It’s a waste of time and money.

13 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Genuinely, if Bezos wants to buy the team, and that becomes public/general knowledge, why would any other interested parties go through the time consuming process of putting together a consortium, trying to accumulate finances, potentially set up borrowing agreements etc etc. 

Smart business people won’t enter a race that they know they will never win. It’s a waste of time and money.

Competition, thirst for power, arrogance will make them think they're going to win. Eventhough Bezos might have the edge, there is nothing for sure here, do not count out the Ishbia brothers and Allen who could become the first majority african american owner in NFL history.

21 minutes ago, FrFan said:

Competition, thirst for power, arrogance will make them think they're going to win. Eventhough Bezos might have the edge, there is nothing for sure here, do not count out the Ishbia brothers and Allen who could become the first majority african american owner in NFL history.

Maybe so. I think we’ll start to find out more information very quickly on this.

I would think the economic climate swings this massively into the favour of Bezos. It’s no time to be borrowing vast sums of money.

Thats said, even Bezos is taking a hit right now based on Amazon’s decreasing valuation. However predictions are that it’s valuation will increase significantly in the next 6 months. Some suggestions are by 50%. That cover the costs of buying the team and building a new stadium 5 times over. He can just drop his holding in Amazon from say 11% to 10% and that gives him enough cash to do everything needed here. He gradually is dumping shares anyway, even aside from his divorce issues.

Finding someone else to hedge all of their net wealth to cover the current and future stadium costs, or even to meet the minimum 30% stake before borrowing, I just don’t see that happening right now. 

Edited by Est.1974
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

A few people on this very board speculated that buying the remaining portion of the team could ironically capsize all his efforts to pretty much do anything at all LOL! He’s not liquid and now has no friends anywhere, any place who are willing to help him. Buying the rest of the team ultimately became his downfall. 

It’s kind of an encapsulation of his business history. He failed upward once because of timing. Bought a football team. Failed at it for three decades, but will fail upwards yet again, financially. Not because he was some brilliant business mind. His reward is that everyone in the DMV loathes him and $6B in cash can’t make that better.

1 hour ago, FrFan said:

What Jay-Zos has that the others don’t is liquidity. Allen might be able to get together a group where he’ll be the majority owner, but you then have the question of a new stadium. Jeff Bezos can find stadium funding in his couch cushions. Allen’s group would have to still drum it up and sentiment for public dollars is at an all-time low.

Edited by ntotoro
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Est.1974 said:

I'd imagine if you get the oppo to build a relationship with the NFL you take it.

If you are vetted by ownership and are viewed favorably that can lead to big things down the road. Even if you don't win the ownership race, the league will always be handing out phat vender deals, merch deals, media deals, construction deals and so on. Many of these billionaires have things going on that could be of great interest/advantage to the NFL and getting your foot in the door and already vetted can give you a serious edge the next time the NFL wants to hand out a billion dollar contract. If I had some skin in the game of some tangibly relatable business I'd think it would be worth the time and money to put myself on the radar on an economic engine as big as the NFL.

The same is true for future team sales. You may not get Washington, but you might improve your odds of getting Seattle when it comes on the market.

• Like 3